• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U FAQ, translated from Japanese

someone in the homebrew types will find ways around this. It could be as easy as moving some files around or editing some numbers but Nintendo is locking this thing down the best they can.

I doubt it, there'll be some sort of file/list stored on the internal memory and it'll be a long time (if ever) before anyone gets in to there

Somnid

It would seem that the Wii Shop Channel is completely partitioned off from the eShop. I think that means Wii purchased VC games are likely to stay there.

Kokonoe

Banned
And no mention whatsoever of using the account on another system and claiming your downloads there. That's kind of really damn important to know Nintendo!

I was wanting to know this as well. Maybe if a ton of people email Nintendo.

TriGen

Thanks, cheese! Although at this point it seems we'll have to wait until that day 1 update goes live to the media (hopefully it releases, before, you know, day 1) to really have all our questions answered. I have long maintained that NoA would wait till the week of launch to do a full Nintendo Direct, so I'll stand by that, sometime between the 13th-15th.

The only thing is even if there is a ND I expect a lot of questions will be left unanswered, just like they were with the JPN ND. Only one more week and people will be able to find out themselves, so there's that.

I doubt they'll let you redownload on another system. That allows for too much people game sharing and Nintendo likes their money.

Or they could just do it like the 360 does it. If you download an item on another console than the one it was bought on, you have to be online to be able to use it. And you can transfer all your licenses over to another console whenever you get a new one.

Or they could just do it like the 360 does it. If you download an item on another console than the one it was bought on, you have to be online to be able to use it. And you can transfer all your licenses over to another console whenever you get a new one.

Too much work for no monetary benefit. Simpler to just not allow it.

Tenki

I've got a question about save data transfers. If I just want to move a save data file, will I have to use the Transfer app? Can I move this daa between Wiis without problem?

Because my SMG file is on my girlfriend's Wii and it's not even connected to the Internet, so she won't be able to download the tool.

Can I move the file from her Wii to mine and then use the app with all my games and files including her SMG save?

Will Wii Virtual Console software also be made available through the Wii U Nintendo eShop?

More importantly, will my imported purchases be tied to my profile?

I'm OK with buying Wii stuff through the Wii channel on Wii U, I just want to know that $$$ I spent on old games won't be wasted should my Wii U die.

TriGen

If they are going to allow re-downloads on other systems this is what I expect. You have to transfer the licenses and when you do, that "deactivates" the games on the other system. So games can only be played on one Wii U at a time. Yet you still can transfer. I doubt they would do it PS3 style because they basically give you two copies of a game, Nintendo won't do that.

I think everyone should be happy about Wii being cut off from Wii U in every way. We has something totally new from the ground up when it comes to Nintendo Network / eShop

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
you should read the Layton 5 reviews on amazon.uk. A lot of people hating on Nintendo because a 3DS cart doesn't work on
their DS

omg lol.

I'm hoping people won't be as confused by the Wii U as they were with the 3DS.

Davey Cakes

I think everyone should be happy about Wii being cut off from Wii U in every way. We has something totally new from the ground up when it comes to Nintendo Network / eShop
It's nice, but full integration of old software/shops/points with the new system would be even better.

Basically, Wii U support for Wii content is fully there, but it's not seamless. I was hoping that the Wii U would basically absorb everything from the Wii, but I guess that's impractical. Not complaining.

I think the surprising thing is that it appears as though those titles currently available on the Wii Shop, including Wiiware and VC, are NOT going to be available through the Wii U eShop from day 1. There is no "merging" of marketplaces, as there should be, so that those titles we've already bought can be tied to our NNID. We're just starting from scratch, with those VC games buried in Wii mode, rather than proudly shown off in Miiverse. Clunky.
Yeah, this is kind of the issue. It's not a huge thing but I was mistakenly expecting a "merging" of the systems and services. Seems like a better way to do things, in terms of tying the Wii and Wii U together in perfect harmony. Maybe at some point there will be a merger of sorts or a binding of the services together, and they're just not ready for it yet.

Chopper

I think the surprising thing is that it appears as though those titles currently available on the Wii Shop, including Wiiware and VC, are NOT going to be available through the Wii U eShop from day 1. There is no "merging" of marketplaces, as there should be, so that those titles we've already bought can be tied to our NNID. We're just starting from scratch, with those VC games buried in Wii mode, rather than proudly shown off in Miiverse. Clunky.

Thanks for the translation!

Still really pissed about WiiWare/ VC only being available on Wii Mode.. I'm not buying all of those titles again for Wii-U..

So no system wide achievement / trophy ability.

I know loads don't care and good on you, but I like them and expect them. So I'll be in no hurry to get one now.

think about it all those games get HD remakes or coded to play off tv on the gamepad
Nintendo wants money you know

Chopper

think about it all those games get HD remakes or coded to play off tv on the gamepad
Nintendo wants money you know
I don't even need upscaling or controller support. I just want a bit of consistency and basic integration into their current system. Leaving the Wii Shop and all its content in the dust is pretty alarming, really.

Have Nintendo even said anything about VC content on the Wii U eShop? Why wouldn't they have what's already available on Wii available from the front end of the Wii U eShop, and use it as an excuse to "reboot" the VC brand?! Surely they're not really going to charge us for the same games again? I can sort of see the justification in charging seperately for handheld and home console versions of the same game, sort of. But seriously, what are they doing this time? So many questions!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I wonder if the Wii U has a music player? I don't expect custom soundtracks or anything but in the glimpse we've had of the OS, there wasn't a Nintendo Sound icon.

Which would be sort of strange coming from Wii and then 3DS. and then DSi. Maybe it's part of FW update or a separate download in the eShop or something.

Platy

About Backwards Compatability

Can the Wii U play Wii or GameCube software?

Wii software, Wii Virtual Console software, and WiiWare can be played from the Wii Menu on the Wii U. GameCube software is not supported.

Can the Wii U GamePad be used to play Wii software?

No. The Wii U GamePad functionality is not available when using the Wii Menu.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...expected, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
I don't even need upscaling or controller support. I just want a bit of consistency and basic integration into their current system. Leaving the Wii Shop and all its content in the dust is pretty alarming, really.

Have Nintendo even said anything about VC content on the Wii U eShop? Why wouldn't they have what's already available on Wii available from the front end of the Wii U eShop, and use it as an excuse to "reboot" the VC brand?! Surely they're not really going to charge us for the same games again? I can sort of see the justification in charging seperately for handheld and home console versions of the same game, sort of. But seriously, what are they doing this time? So many questions!

It's entirely possible that Wii VC/Wiiware could be brought over later. I mean given a choice between making sure that VC and Wiiware come over and making sure your online service, which is infinitely more complex than any other online system you've done before it's kinda obvious which they would work on. Keep in mind the current units out there don't have TVii, Miiverse, Wii mode, and most everything related to online. They are making sure all their i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Yes you WILL! So that you can play SMB on the controller screen!
This reminds me. Given the Gamepad is effectively an interactive video stream and the Iwata Asks basically finds you get less artefacts by rending things a bit differently (like fade-out etc); does this mean VC games might look like bad in places due to not having such things done?

you should read the Layton 5 reviews on amazon.uk. A lot of people hating on Nintendo because a 3DS cart doesn't work on their DS
But they understand it won't work on the DS so thats one plus point at least. Its the gap of understanding that the 3DS is more than a DS with 3D (or if its that they do understand, they seriously can't justify the 3DS purchase). The lack of 2D version might be confusing to someone who can buy a PS2 copy of Fifa 13. Still its interesting Layton is the game that shows this. I'd expect to see the same on Super Mario Bros U.

Its a real problem with losing the emphasis on meaningless stats like Blast Processing, bits (are consoles even 64-bit yet?), Teraflops is you can't easily explain the why in a soundbite and sound convincing. People didn't think the SNES was an NES with a new controller as they knew the SNES was a 16-bit

Davey Cakes

I always thought it would be cool if Nintendo could just put sections in the Wii U eShop for Wii content. That is, Wii VC games, WiiWare games, and maybe even full Wii game downloads, all in their own sections of the eShop. It would be a nice way to re-market the VC and WiiWare services, especially in terms of bringing particular previously-released games into the spotlight.

This is why it makes me laugh when people act surprised whenever people talk about marketing confusion between the DS/3DS and Wii/Wii U.

Its a very real thing. Many people are that hopelessley stupid I don't know how they operate day to day in the outside world.

It's ignorance, not stupidity. Nintendo had the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL, all of which played the same games. Then Nintendo comes out with the 3DS and people who know nothing about games are supposed to magically know it's a new system that plays different games? Nintendo failed to differentiate the system with the name and the marketing.

Chopper

I always thought it would be cool if Nintendo could just put sections in the Wii U eShop for Wii content. That is, Wii VC games, WiiWare games, and maybe even full Wii game downloads, all in their own sections of the eShop. It would be a nice way to re-market the VC and WiiWare services, especially in terms of bringing particular previously-released games into the spotlight.
Why even seperate them? What's the difference between Wii VC and Wii U VC? It's the same game. Likewise, Wiiware is a perfectly fine category that can be used to incorporate download releases for Wii U, and can include everything that's been released to date. There is no fear of consumer confusion once the console is in a home and its online store is being explored.

I expect this to happen, even if it is just you click the buy button and it boots into Wii mode and takes you directly into the Wii Shop channel (like how Nintendo channel does it).

Would be neat if it could be loaded onto the Wii NAND via the WiiU eShop. That and shortcuts to Wii mode stuff in a similar vain.

BDGAME

Can I see what a friend of mine is playing right now? Not only the name of the game, like in 3DS, but the watch the math, like in Mario Kart 7 and smash. Bros brawl.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It says the Gamepad will be made available for purchase separately when software that supports two controllers is released.

I thought Japan was selling it separately at launch.

roddur

not being able to use wii points, in wii mode only wii controlers will work, these choices are not good for me. i was thinking of trading my wii once i get the new console. all those wii points, d/l games will be useless without a wii controller.

the new console is BC, but not BC :]

thanks Cheese, brilliant work as usual

you should read the Layton 5 reviews on amazon.uk. A lot of people hating on Nintendo because a 3DS cart doesn't work on
their DS

I knew people would buy layton thinking it would work on the NDS. These people are very silly!

They've not said if Wii U will have a virtual console software category at launch.

They could leave the VC to the Wii side of things / on 3DS.

There could be VC systems and formats in the eshop that are new, and don't exist for Wii VC.

Or they could be planning to eventually integrate the Wii VC into Wii U's shop, and continue releases there / allow purchases there.

so because we have to use the Wii shop for Virtual Console software does that mean it is still gonna be super slow with them really small screenshots and that annoying music.

Eusis

I doubt they'll let you redownload on another system. That allows for too much people game sharing and Nintendo likes their money.
As MANY people said, the 360 has a solution in place: activate a new system and lose the license to the old one. If they do it that way, whether or not you need to redownload your game (so long as saves aren't tied to the system/game package not a big deal) then it's a non-issue to buy games and have your system break, and if you need to authenticate only one system at a time with the other being deactivated upon logging online then you won't be getting rampant game sharing.

WiiU games can not be played on Wii.

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American people (I'm an expert), but being dumb and not looking things up are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where everyone is smart. If a American buys a WiiU game and it does not work on their Wiis, it brings shame to all Americans, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase games for either the Wii or WiiU systems, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire Country with this move.

Iwata, publicly apologize and cancel WiiU or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Eric C

I've got a question about save data transfers. If I just want to move a save data file, will I have to use the Transfer app? Can I move this daa between Wiis without problem?

Because my SMG file is on my girlfriend's Wii and it's not even connected to the Internet, so she won't be able to download the tool.

Can I move the file from her Wii to mine and then use the app with all my games and files including her SMG save?

Before you use the transfer app.

Just copy the SMG save file to an SD card, and then use the SD card to transfer the save file to your other Wii.

Some games don't allow you to copy and transfer saves, but *I think* you can copy the SMG file without any problems.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So no system-wide achievements, but there is a way for the game to display a message on Miiverse when someone does something specific.

Did I get that right?

sakipon

So no system-wide achievements, but there is a way for the game to display a message on Miiverse when someone does something specific.

Did I get that right?

This is how I understood it. Sounds pretty good to me, though it depends on how many devs end up using it.

Ridley327

Believe it or not, we had a customer come in today trying to switch their Wii U pre-order for CODBLOPS2 to the non-existent Wii version because they did not know that Wii U games did not work on the Wii.

What timing!

Top Bottom