• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

radcliff

Does it really make sense to put the next Animal Crossing on Wii U though? The handheld versions always sell better. Wouldn't it make more sense to release the next AC as a launch title for the NX rather than a holiday title for Wii U? Releasing AC for Wii U in 2015/2016 and then rushing another version for NX a couple years later may not be best IP management.

jmizzal

Does it really make sense to put the next Animal Crossing on Wii U though? The handheld versions always sell better. Wouldn't it make more sense to release the next AC as a launch title for the NX rather than a holiday title for Wii U? Releasing AC for Wii U in 2015/2016 and then rushing another version for NX a couple years later may not be best IP management.

Since the next console and handheld will have the same OS and most likely run the same games, I doubt they would put it on WiiU unless its a spin off. Make more since to wait for NX, which might allow you to play at home and on the go.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I mean it's cheaper to make than a 3D Zelda, and probably sells more. But the big thing here is selling figurines!

TheMoon

I mean it's cheaper to make than a 3D Zelda, and probably sells more. But the big thing here is selling figurines!

Man, I want a Roscoe amiibo so I can burn him! (since apparently no matter how many times I snitch on him with Isabelle or hit him with my shovel or dig holes around his house, he just will not freaking move out!!)

E-phonk

Banned

I'd say they have to release something on WiiU - and preferably something that can move units (be it software or hardware) and with the rumored amiibo support I'd say AC is a likely candidate.

So, April will be without a retail release..I was hoping that in a surprise movement Yoshi would be released in April.
Anyway, I am sure that the will be quite a few eshop releases, with ASA having the crown...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was very critic with NoE Wii U release dates for first half of 2015.
But with Mirky early May announcement (and not second half ot the year as it was) and possibly Yoshi in June, I'd be more than satisfied. That would lead us into the following schedule for the first half of the year:

Jan: Toad
Feb: nothing (probably due to the new 3DS apocalyspe, and I can't blame them, on the contrary with Zwelda MM and MH4 to be played, I was happy to not see too many things out there tempting me)
March: Mario Party 10 and Mario vs DK on the eshop
April: nothing (but Affordable space adventure on the eshop will entertain me enough, I suppose)
May: Kirby and Splatoon
June: Yoshi

not bad, also because that would leave space in the second half for a good scheduled release list for Devil' Third, Xenoblade, Star fox, Mario Maker and even Zelda (and if it will be delayed, I think we'll get something else to replace it, even if not at the same hype level)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think somehow Affordable Space Adventures will be the best Wii U release until Kirby, maybe even until Splatoon hits.

jariw

Jan: Toad
Feb: nothing (probably due to the new 3DS apocalyspe, and I can't blame them, on the contrary with Zwelda MM and MH4 to be played, I was happy to not see too many things out there tempting me)
March: Mario Party 10 and Mario vs DK on the eshop
April: nothing (but Affordable space adventure on the eshop will entertain me enough, I suppose)
May: Kirby and Splatoon
June: Yoshi

If this schedule stands, April would be a perfect month to have the Smash U update and the MK8 DLC2.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If this schedule stands, April would be a perfect month to have the Smash U update and the MK8 DLC2.

Uhm, isn't MK8 DLC 2 actually schedule for May?
I don't know why NoE is allergic to April. I mean, it's when my birthday happens!

spekkeh

Banned
Wii had Zelda at launch. NX won't have that. Either they pull a magical Wii Sports-like rabbit out of their head or they're going with the safe-bet of a 3D Mario extravaganza which is the type of game that gets gamers (=early adopters) hyped no matter what. (
Unless they're Spieler Eins
)

Just saying unless there's conflicting information, them saving the next big Mario for the next system's launch seems like the obvious and logical thing.

It's clear from Wii U's release that Mario doesn't sell consoles anymore, you need something that sets imagination on fire. Mario could be played on any other system. Zelda would be best, but that's already releasing this year. I still think they're keeping Metroid for the new console.

jariw

Uhm, isn't MK8 DLC 2 actually schedule for May?
I don't know why NoE is allergic to April. I mean, it's when my birthday happens!

Yes, the DLC2 is sheduled for May. Since Splatoon currently seems to be May 22nd in Europe (http://www.wog.ch/index.cfm/details/product/39134-Splatoon), it seems most likely they will release the DLC2 around the same time as Kirby (around May 7th or 8th). That would make the distance between MK8DLC1-SmashU and MK8DLC2-Splatoon identical for Europe.

But still, it would make more sense (for me as a player at least) to put the MK8DLC2 in April, if they aren't releasing any retail titles in April.

TheMoon

It's clear from Wii U's release that Mario doesn't sell consoles anymore, you need something that sets imagination on fire. Mario could be played on any other system. Zelda would be best, but that's already releasing this year. I still think they're keeping Metroid for the new console.

What's clear from the Wii U launch is that NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. does not sell home consoles. A 3D Mario game is a wholly different story.

But still, it would make more sense (for me as a player at least) to put the MK8DLC2 in April, if they aren't releasing any retail titles in April.

Yea, sticking with May doesn't really make sense given their schedule. Let the people play Splatoon when Splatoon is out and not muddle up players between the still-fresh MK8DLC2 and Splatoon. :(

spekkeh

Banned
What's clear from the Wii U launch is that NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. does not sell home consoles. A 3D Mario game is a wholly different story.
Gamecube didn't do so well either with Luigi and Sunshine short after. The last success story was Mario 64 nearly two decades ago.

radcliff

I'd say they have to release something on WiiU - and preferably something that can move units (be it software or hardware) and with the rumored amiibo support I'd say AC is a likely candidate.

Miyamoto did mention making smaller spin-off titles for Wii U (i.e. Captain Toad). Maybe an Animal Crossing spin-off title for Wii U in 2015 followed by the next main AC game for NX in 2016/2017.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mario doesn't sell systems any more. Nintendo needs a Zelda, Mario Kart, or Smash Bros at launch to sell.

I think Mario Kart 9 is going to be at next launch.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
GameCube didn't launch with a 3D Mario game.

Yeah, Sunshine was nearly a year after launch, not too far off 3D World which was a full year after launch.

A 3D Mario game that awes people in the same way Galaxy did would realistically be the best possible launch title for Nintendo. 3D World is a fantastic game, but it didn't have the same "wow factor" that Galaxy displayed.

More importantly than any specific game, I think they need variety and fast. It's why I think they probably already have key studios working on NX games, why I think it will hit next holiday season, and why I think 2016 might be a really light year for Wii U.

jariw

A 3D Mario game that awes people in the same way Galaxy did would realistically be the best possible launch title for Nintendo. 3D World is a fantastic game, but it didn't have the same "wow factor" that Galaxy displayed.

The Galaxy games didn't sell systems. Those games had around 10-15% attach rate, which was nothing compared to Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports Resort or New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Whatever that has to do with 2015 Wii U games...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Galaxy games didn't sell systems. Those games had around 10-15% attach rate, which was nothing compared to Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports Resort or New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Whatever that has to do with 2015 Wii U games...

A lower attach rate for a system that sold as well as the Wii did doesn't mean much, it's not like the games did poorly. And if you think the Wii Fit/Sports audience that made those games system sellers is coming back you're probably in for some disappointment. Besides, calling out my mention of the Galaxy games misses the point, you could just as easily replace it with 64. Point being, they need a 3D Mario game that is immediately appealing and interesting, and 3D World, as great as it is, didn't really manage to do that. As such, a similar game wouldn't make for a good NX launch title.

And it has as much to do with the discussion as the rest of the NX discussion, that is, the implications a new platform is going to have on the Wii U's lineup going forward. I kind of get into that in the part of my post you didn't quote (though not specifically for 2015 games).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
People bought the Wii because of Wii Sport + Wiimote at 250 bucks (against 400/600 of the direct competitors). Not because of Zelda.

Btw, am I missing something here...? Are we looking for a "launch game" for the Wii U in 2015. Because I'd say that this topic should stay a little more focused on this consolel this year.
I don't want to be harsh, it's just that the release info/rumors (as the Yoshi one) would become hard to be found if we talk of something else...

jmizzal

KiraWins

Neo Member
posted this on gamefaqs the other day

but Id really like to see the Wii U get a megaman battle network game with online compatibility.

can you imagine building your own character + deck? that would be ridiculously fun imo.

Josh5890

but Id really like to see the Wii U get a megaman battle network game with online compatibility.

can you imagine building your own character + deck? that would be ridiculously fun imo.

I can't even imagine Capcom getting off their butts and actually making a Mega Man game. I sometimes wonder if they know that they own the IP.

But yea, I like your game idea.

Yeah you're assuming Capcom will ever make a new Mega Man game. :p

Plus, I don't see the BN/EXE series ever coming back, they had this thing of succeeding the series with each gen.

Like Battle Network and Zero on GBA, and then Starforce and ZX on DS.

Still can't believe we never got their successors on 3DS like we all would've seen coming. But Gunvolt is Zero and ZX on 3DS so yeah we KIND of got that.

Woohoo! I'm officially part of the Wii U owners club...feels real good. :)

I was planning on buying mine later in the year with holiday discounts + Zelda, but I just saw the refurbs were back in stock on the Nintendo site with Mario 3D World included (which I definitely was going to buy anyway), so I pulled the trigger. $250 for Wii U, Mario, and Nintendoland, s/h + tax included. Not bad at all!

So now the games I have on my buying queue:
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (been aching for this)
- Zelda: WW HD
- Bayonetta 2
- Smash Bros.
- Maybe: Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad
- On the horizon: Zelda Wii U, SMT x FE

You guys got any recommendations for eShop games?

TheMoon

Too many^^

Earthbound (always including that because it's so rare that someone has a cart copy)
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails
Toki Tori 2+
Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones
Armillo
The Fall
The Swapper
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
OlliOlli
Elliot Quest

Coming next month: Affordable Space Adventures

Shauni

I wonder if Nintendo of America is ever going to release Golden Sun: The Lost Age on Wii U VC? I realize it is out in Europe and Japan. I played the first one and would love to play the sequel. Releasing the first but not the direct sequel is mean Nintendo. :(

Really looking forward to Splatoon, Xenoblade and Mario Maker to a lesser extent. I also need to buy the Kirby game.

It'll get here eventually. They did the same thing with Fire Emblem and F-Zero were they were out in other regions for a months before they finally hit the NA VC.

Too many^^

Earthbound (always including that because it's so rare that someone has a cart copy)
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails
Toki Tori 2+
Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones
Armillo
The Fall
The Swapper
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
OlliOlli
Elliot Quest

Coming next month: Affordable Space Adventures

Oh man, thanks for the list. Some of them are right up my alley (2D platformers and/or sci-fi/space setting). I highlighted the ones that I added to my list. :D

Which controller do you guys use for games like Mario 3D Land and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze? Gamepad, Pro Controller, Wiimote...?

Watch this as a sales pitch for Toki Tori 2+ ...because trailers, screenshots or whatever don't do this game justice.

I kinda brushed past it due to the art style, but that's a pretty interesting video.

Crom

I was planning on buying mine later in the year with holiday discounts + Zelda, but I just saw the refurbs were back in stock on the Nintendo site with Mario 3D World included (which I definitely was going to buy anyway), so I pulled the trigger. $250 for Wii U, Mario, and Nintendoland, s/h + tax included. Not bad at all!

- Bayonetta 2
- Smash Bros.

What about Pikmin 3 (if you can find it)

Jamix012

It would be nice to get Rodea and The Legend of Kay HD added to the OP. I think the Wii U has a great year honestly and with Uncharted 4 gone to 2016, it might even have the best one.

Jotthah

- Bayonetta 2
- Smash Bros.

there seems to be something wrong with your keyboard, because it didn't recognize that you typed THE WONDERFUL 101
also welcome to the club :)

Top Bottom