• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Young Magus

Got my Wii u that Im 99.8% sure is below 5.5.1.

If all I want to do is:
region free
backup of my games (region free also)
retroarch(?)
use my external hdd formatted for my wii along these things.

Where do I start and do I need to install CFW?

Xbro

Got my Wii u that Im 99.8% sure is below 5.5.1.

If all I want to do is:
region free
backup of my games (region free also)
retroarch(?)
use my external hdd formatted for my wii along these things.

Where do I start and do I need to install CFW?

First things first, update to 5.5.1

Young Magus

Ok imma update to 5.5.1 now

https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

I've been reading in preparation for my daughter wii u she is going to open tomorrow.

Alright,
for those that got CFW on how the process? Was it as long as the guide?

I am not sure what you mean "along these things" but if you want an hd for games for the wii AND the wiiiu ....it is better to get a new hd just for the wiiu part and swap when you go vwii

Oh no not that.

I mean to use the hdd for my games I got off eshop along with backups of my disk and homebrew

Amon37

So if I need to delete and reinstall a game to the HDD do I just delete it from the HDD using the Wii U menu and then reinstall with WUP installer like the first time?

Young Magus

Ok so I updated my wii u to 5.5.1 and got the hatchi hax working! Got retroarch going as well!

Now I have serevel disk from different regions. How do I play them on the wii u? Do I extract them on to a sd/usb or do I use an app to boot from disk?

Also I heard about the brazilian method of getting games to work on usb but ONLY for the reigion of the consule. Can I use this to install games that I have the physical copies of?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Dimok's Mocha CFW is about to implement a really good feature: FAT32 drive support. That's right: GameCube, Wii and Wii U games on the same HDD.

So what I managed to do by now is an automatic FAT32 USB mount in the system that is treated by the system very similar to the WFS USB mounts. Meaning the system does see the USB drive as an actual Wii U formatted usb drive. The System Menu does list the titles on the partition in the "/usr/" folder on the drive and even the System Settings see the drive and can copy titles over. So basically you don't really see any difference between a WiiU formatted drive and a FAT32 formatted drive which is pretty cool.

Source.

It's not public yet, and Dimok still has some work to do with it before releasing it, but hopefully we'll be able to use a FAT32 drive on our Wii Us in a few weeks.

Dimok's Mocha CFW is about to implement a really good feature: FAT32 drive support. That's right: GameCube, Wii and Wii U games on the same HDD.

Source.

It's not public yet, and Dimok still has some work to do with it before releasing it, but hopefully we'll be able to use a FAT32 drive on our Wii Us in a few weeks.

So same partition, my wii u, wii and Nintendont gc back ups? That's fucking brilliant. Stoked for that when it's stable for sure.

Amon37

Considering I can't get wii games to work on my sd card I'm stoked for this as well.

I'm not stoked about reformatting the hdd and having to transfer all my games to it again.

Also I don't think I install mocha cfw, I may have stopped at haxchi.

EmiPrime

Source.

Yessssssss this is what I have been waiting for! The dream is still alive.

TunaLover

Done backing up all my games, was a tedious week lol.

Now I have serevel disk from different regions. How do I play them on the wii u? Do I extract them on to a sd/usb or do I use an app to boot from disk?

Also I heard about the brazilian method of getting games to work on usb but ONLY for the reigion of the consule. Can I use this to install games that I have the physical copies of?

You only need Haxchi 2.5 (or up) https://github.com/FIX94/haxchi/releases
To make your console region free just start Haxchi/Homebrew Launcher while holding B on the gamepad, it will launch system menu again except this time it will have all the signature patches applied, that means you can launch disc games from other regions.

To use "brazilian method" you need 1) wudump to dump your disc, 2) WUDmerge to joint the parts of your dump (on PC), and 3) WUD installer mod Y to install it to the Wii U. Keep in mind if you are installing games from other regions you need apply signature patches beforehand, it works for ALL regions.

Also I don't think I install mocha cfw, I may have stopped at haxchi.
With Haxchi 2.5 Mocha is kinda redundant for some tasks, I for example only need signature patches to region free so I don't have use for Mocha now.

So if I need to delete and reinstall a game to the HDD do I just delete it from the HDD using the Wii U menu and then reinstall with WUP installer like the first time?
Yeah, either delete it from Wii U menu and installing it again, or just installing it again it will overwritte the previous one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hello!

This is what I've been waiting for to jump in.

Platy

So ... is there any video of people using those high levels rednands custom firmware stuff on wiiu ?

I only see people talking and maybe a tutorial but never a video of someone exploring what you can do

So, haven't been messing with Wii U hacks since about a month after the kernel thing dropped and I got to live my dream of music mods for Smash. I see that a whole ton of the homebrew scene has evolved since then, and what I need to know is the following:

1.) Can I use my wii u to play melee with a gamecube controller

2.) The same as above except I wanna play it on the gamepad

3.) Where do I go so I can read up on all the things that have happened in the homebrew scene?

Thanks in advance!

Joey Ravn

Banned
So ... is there any video of people using those high levels rednands custom firmware stuff on wiiu ?

I only see people talking and maybe a tutorial but never a video of someone exploring what you can do

I honestly don't understand what you're asking for. Barely anyone is using RedNAND these days. Most people use either a signature-patched sysNAND or Mocha.

So, haven't been messing with Wii U hacks since about a month after the kernel thing dropped and I got to live my dream of music mods for Smash. I see that a whole ton of the homebrew scene has evolved since then, and what I need to know is the following:

1.) Can I use my wii u to play melee with a gamecube controller

2.) The same as above except I wanna play it on the gamepad

3.) Where do I go so I can read up on all the things that have happened in the homebrew scene?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes. Nintendont is compatible with the GameCube controller via the official adapter (or a third-party one), as well as a variety of controllers.

2. No. Nintendont runs on Wii mode, so it can only be displayed on the gamepad. It can't be controlled with it.

3. /r/WiiUHacks or GBATemp are good options.

Mocha REDNand is theoretically updatable now but it's not like anyone can test that but if it becomes relevant and works it'll see a resurgence.

Beyond that RedNAND is only good for installing Dev programs which would brick sysNAND (and none of the publicly available ones are much more than novelties) and for testing of editing system files/settings by homebrew Devs.

ETA - In regard to controllers be aware that most third party wiimotes don't work with Nintendont and so neither will any of the classic controller variants that plug into them and piggy back their Bluetooth signal. You need official Wiimotes if you want to go that route (official Wii U Pro Controllers work fine though).

Platy

I honestly don't understand what you're asking for. Barely anyone is using RedNAND these days. Most people use either a signature-patched sysNAND or Mocha.

I don't know much about anything that is not offline access to homebrew channel =P

That can do... what I mean is "hardcore stuff besides Haxchi"

What do you win with mocha and signature patched sysnand ?

Young Magus

I don't know much about anything that is not offline access to homebrew channel =P

That can do... what I mean is "hardcore stuff besides Haxchi"

What do you win with mocha and signature patched sysnand ?

signature patched sysnand and haxchi are kne and the same these days isn't it?

TunaLover

The thing is that you probably won't use Mocha features ever, at least you are messing around with low level injection code that require extra safety net (ftpiiu?) I think most end users would just need up to signature patches thereof only Haxchi.

Mocha was used to signature patching until Haxchi 2.5 update.

Arkanius

So the prequisites for finally opening the WiiU is an SDcard and firmware 5.5.1?
I'm at work, but are we finally able to load backups from a FAT32 drive or not?
Is there also a method of doing the backups from the WiiU disc drive to external disk?

Also, are we getting NNID banned or console banned from online play by playing backups?

EDIT:

https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

Just found this, is it a good tutorial?

Platy

The thing is that you probably won't use Mocha features ever, at least you are messing around with low level injection code that require extra safety net (ftpiiu?) I think most end users would just need up to signature patches thereof only Haxchi.

Mocha was used to signature patching until Haxchi 2.5 update.

No black menu, no installing new channels on the system menu, no playing weird songs on the menu, no usb game loading that does not use the BR method, nothing ?

So the only difference for haxchi and using the browser is easier region free and not needing an internet connection ?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So is there any big advantage of installing a real method as opposed to just using the web hack in the long run? I find that one super easy to use and I get everything I need out of it, but is there a danger of it being blocked or lost? For casual purposes it seems like all I need.

So is there any big advantage of installing a real method as opposed to just using the web hack in the long run? I find that one super easy to use and I get everything I need out of it, but is there a danger of it being blocked or lost? For casual purposes it seems like all I need.

Haxchi is much more reliable than the BrowserHax (which seems to have around a 25% success rate for me and often requires resetting the Browser cache). So I strongly recommend it.

If you're nervous I definitely do not recommed Cold Boot Haxchi , being nervous is likely to lead you to stuffing it up and Cold Boot bricks are potentially unrecoverable without a hard mod and previous backup.

TunaLover

No black menu, no installing new channels on the system menu, no playing weird songs on the menu, no usb game loading that does not use the BR method, nothing ?
I think system menu mods would require Mocha.
Is there a method to load games off an USB?

So the only difference for haxchi and using the browser is easier region free and not needing an internet connection ?
Yes.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I think system menu mods would require Mocha.
Is there a method to load games off an USB?

Installing them to the console, yes. Running them directly from the USB, like you can do with Wii games, not just yet. Dimok's solution promises to address that specific issue, though.

Amon37

Installing them to the console, yes. Running them directly from the USB, like you can do with Wii games, not just yet. Dimok's solution promises to address that specific issue, though.

With the Brazilian method you can run them from the USB Drive you don't have to copy them to the console.

Joey Ravn

Banned
With the Brazilian method you can run them from the USB Drive you don't have to copy them to the console.

What I meant by "installing them to the console" is that you need to, well, install the games, either to the USB or the NAND, as you do with any game you download from the eShop. You can't run a WUD directly from a USB, like you can with Wii ISOs.

Fox HaxChi I need need to buy a supported DS VC game off the eShop right? I thought I would finally sit down and give my Wii U a treat :p

Platy

What we call "run games from the usb" is a simple way to call "run homebrew trough usb"

also includes using pendrives and external hds to have retroarch and stuffs like that

opoth

Banned
I'm really hoping the RA 1.4.0 port has multiplayer Pro controller support and screen flipping for MAME when it's released.

Nintendont on the Wii U side with gamepad support is my only other dream at this point. It sounds like the path toward that could involve decrypting and repacking a Wii VC game that had classic controller support, but it sounds its all up in the air at this point.

LewieP

Nintendont on the Wii U side with gamepad support is my only other dream at this point. It sounds like the path toward that could involve decrypting and repacking a Wii VC game that had classic controller support, but it sounds its all up in the air at this point.

Yeah that would be delightful.

n64coder

HBL2HBC released.

You can now load The Homebrew Channel (vWii) directly via The Homebrew Launcher (WiiU) without having to enter the vWii. Pretty handy to boot Nintendont without having to use a Wiimote!

Thanks for keeping this thread up-to-date on the WiiU scene. I will have to spend some time this weekend to put some CFW on it. I'm really interested in getting my Gamecube games playable.

Is Flimflam's guide on reddit still the best one to follow?

opoth

Banned
With these recent developments, Nintendont on the Wii U side with gamepad support seems so close I can smell it

Joey Ravn

Banned
With these recent developments, Nintendont on the Wii U side with gamepad support seems so close I can smell it

Eh. I wouldn't say that it's that close. Nintendont is still running from the vWii side of the Wii U. Until it's coded to run natively, it won't be able to access the gamepad.

opoth

Banned
Eh. I wouldn't say that it's that close. Nintendont is still running from the vWii side of the Wii U. Until it's coded to run natively, it won't be able to access the gamepad.

I thought the goal of the tool that was just released was eventually meant to decrypt/unpack and repack Wii VC ISOs ? The idea being that the injection of Nintendont into a game ISO that had Classic Controller support should theoretically give us gamepad support, the same way the gamepad is usable on titles that supported the Classic Controller?

opoth

Banned
Basically they're booting vWii games/app just like how Nintendo does with their Wii games on Wii U.

That's it exactly...I think the final trick will be the ability to enable the classic controller flag on those games and apps. Nintendont basically has to stay a vWii app in order to leverage the GC support gained from booting up on the Wii.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I thought the goal of the tool that was just released was eventually meant to decrypt/unpack and repack Wii VC ISOs ? The idea being that the injection of Nintendont into a game ISO that had Classic Controller support should theoretically give us gamepad support, the same way the gamepad is usable on titles that supported the Classic Controller?

Which tool, exactly? That one must have flown over my head.

Top Bottom