• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Japanese Launch: 308,570 systems sold, Mario leads with 170,563 copies

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Comparing it to a failure platform does little at this time as Vita is on life support as it is.

I was only talking Monster Hunter. It is a good start compared to first year Wii and PS3 software as well.

Mrbob

Mario and Monster Hunter are eating everyone elses lunch, so to speak. Software sales are terrible beyond those two games, and I guess the lukewarm Nintendoland sales. No bundle in Japan?

pyrandes

Looks like a good start with the kinda expected software side. Ill be looking forward to what happens in the next few months, since its way too early to call any sort of judgement on the console.

braves01

Banned
Nintendo's global sales goal for Wii U was 5.5 million by April right?

So this puts them at about 4.7 mil. left to go including U.S. and UK numbers too.

Majmun

1st week sales don't say much. Even Vita sold more units.

The next couple of weeks are going to get interesting.

Thraktor

Hardware sales about what I'd expected, and attach rates of NSMBU and MH seem pretty good, especially considering that most(?) consoles had either Nintendoland or MH bundled. I'd be very interested in finding out what the digital download sales are like for some of these games, as unlike in NA and EU, there are quite a few games on the Japanese eShop which are cheaper than the retail versions.

Decent if it shows legs.

Not decent if we see a Vita-esque second-week drop.

Nintendo Land looks like a bomb, considering that it's not bundled there. But maybe it'll have legs, we'll see.

Takao

Banned
Well, software sales are significantly better than what Vita launched with so at the very least I don't expect a complete disaster.

What an unfair comparison to make. You're comparing a console that launched with the largest franchise in gaming to a handheld that didn't and faced the storm that was the 3DS lineup in 2011. Mario, and Monster Hunter did alright but everything else on Wii U, especially the third party stuff? Yikes.

Yeah I was gonna say. The PS2 was truly a beast sales-wise. It's saddening to see the PS3 numbers in comparison. :(

Although perhaps the PS3 only had a few days of sales or something, I'm not sure.

PS3 japanese launch had huge supply problems. Of course it wouldn't have sold as much as PS2 even with good supply but a lot more than 88k.

Expected twice as many units. It's a Nintendo Console in Japan.
you could have looked at the other nintendo console launches in Japan that were in the OP. No Nintendo console has ever done as well as you were expecting. Plus, Nintendo barely advertised the thing and it has very little games. I'm surprised it sold so well

Not bad.
Pretty predictable hardware numbers really.
I am concerned about the software numbers.
Mario and Monster Hunter doing well is a given, but the others...ouch.

Was the game bundled in Japan, or was it a Wii Sports situation?

Nope, just like Wii Sports.

Sad to see Tekken get short shrift, that game is incredible. Maybe they should have pushed the Mario costume angle harder.

Though I guess its main audience is on PLaystation, and the game is a few months old. But still, definitive version.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well Vita told us that launch numbers mean shit. Still of course good numbers. Next week is already a lot more telling (Vita took huge dive in its second week)

If these games will be confirmed, I agree with you.
Good numbers indeed, especially compared to other recent home console, but the truth will be said in the next weeks.
PSV started solid, and dropped heavily right after the launch.

braves01

Banned
Sad to see Tekken get short shrift, that game is incredible. Maybe they should have pushed the Mario costume angle harder.

Though I guess its main audience is on PLaystation, and the game is a few months old. But still, definitive version.

OT, but how's the community for the game on Wii U? Trouble getting matches?

Kouriozan

Yeah the software sales seem low, hopefully it'll be better as we are approaching christmas.
Would be better if we knew DD sales too.

Kazerei

Banned
Good start. Hope it stays strong through the holiday season.

Nintendo Land is maybe a bit low, but it will have legs.

It sadly sold shit on PS3. Tekken as a brand is dead.

Jackano

Not bad but not very good either. I will call that "morosity" launch.
We will time the system in its race for the million and compare again when there.
However, a slighty deceiving launch doesn't change anything for Japan. "Nintendo has bought Japan" meme still exists for a reason.

kinggroin

Banned
Gyah! No way they reach even 3 million with the way they've been exposing this platform to the public. Word of mouth would have to be amazing, but the public would have to know this system actually exists as a new gen platform and not a new Wii SKU.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Why not? Was there some pent-up demand for the Vita?

I feel like the Vita launch was 'bad', and yet this seems to be considered 'good'.
How was Vita's (JP) launch bad?

Top Bottom