• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Japanese Launch: 308,570 systems sold, Mario leads with 170,563 copies

VICI0US

Lower launch numbers than the Vita in UK & Japan?

Is that not a bad thing?

if sales fall off a cliff in every single region only weeks after launch like the vita, yes it's bad

if sales are maintained, not bad at all.

launch sales really aren't a viable metric to determine anything substantial, for that we need to wait and see.

Gyah! No way they reach even 3 million with the way they've been exposing this platform to the public. Word of mouth would have to be amazing, but the public would have to know this system actually exists as a new gen platform and not a new Wii SKU.

Isn't there a handheld synched monhun game coming out?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What an unfair comparison to make. You're comparing a console that launched with the largest franchise in gaming to a handheld that didn't and faced the storm that was the 3DS lineup in 2011. Mario, and Monster Hunter did alright but everything else on Wii U, especially the third party stuff? Yikes.

How is that an unfair comparison when the post I responded to specifically referenced the Vita and the chances of a similar disaster? The whole idea of sales age is to compare numbers- just because one company launches with a better lineup doesn't make a comparison "unfair".
Kind of a defensive take.

Road

Enterbrain gives early numbers to subscribers but it's weird they haven't leaked at Japanese blogs first. Still, they seem real.

Yeah, Famitsu/Enterbrain have a regular weekly chart preview Monday for subscribers, from where I think this comes.

When they used to leak, the numbers most of the time ended up different, but maybe the Wii U numbers have already been finalized.

Why not? Was there some pent-up demand for the Vita?

I feel like the Vita launch was 'bad', and yet this seems to be considered 'good'.
The launch isn't what was bad. It's the fact that sales dropped to next to nothing after launch selling less than 80k/month in every country.

kinggroin

Banned
Why not? Was there some pent-up demand for the Vita?

I feel like the Vita launch was 'bad', and yet this seems to be considered 'good'.

Look at the list of console launches in Japan. The Wii-U's first week is more than respectable.

Wait till next week before we go doom and gloom.

Lower launch numbers than the Vita in UK & Japan?

Is that not a bad thing?

Marginally below Vita numbers in a country where handhelds reign. Vita had the 6th best launch there of all time, the 4th best handheld launch of all... it performed much better than PSP at launch. Wii U's launch is only behind PS2 and Wii as home consoles go.

But as someone else said in the thread, launch numbers can mean very little - when you consider how strongly the Vita started before dropping off precipitously.

The UK numbers look worrying at the moment, but they didn't even ship 15% as many consoles to the UK as they shipped to Japan and the US... neglect and lack of interest is definitely the problem in the UK.

test_account

XP-39C²
I would say solid but not spectacular.

For some perspective, it has outsold every Vita 3rd party game but 2 released so far.
While it gives some perspective, i dont think it shows the best picture because Monster Hunter is one of the biggest franchises in Japan and Vita hasnt had any Monster Hunter game yet. It is very hard to know how much TriG Ultimate would have sold on Vita in comparison.

I agree that the Monster Hunter TriG HD numbers looks solid though =)

ChaosXVI

Just going to echo everyone else at this point, but the first week doesn't really matter, all that counts is the momentum doesn't dive off a cliff, which I expect it won't in Japan too badly, but no way this will be another Wii in terms of sales.

BadWolf

Meh means nothing. We have seen how well Nintendo panics so even if they aren't successful at first there is still hope. The competitors have given them a free shot at mistakes again.

iammeiam

Launch is basically the only time a console can do worse than the Vita and still be a success. If the Wii U follows the Vita trajectory from here, it's going to be a huge problem, so here's hoping it reflects a more normal sales pattern.

Fabrik

Banned
They really need to promote Nintendoland better. The game is amazing in multiplayer and it's a system seller IMO.

Takao

Banned
No, the Vita's troubles came later when everyone looked at the future game releases and saw nothing

There are more major Japanese console third party games not on Wii U than there are on it. This past weekend saw MGSV, and Dark Souls II announced, both of which aren't on Wii U.

How must did Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD edition (PS3) sell? Just want to compare.

An unfair comparison as PS3 has like 6 million units on PS3, but this was the first week:

[PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.08.25} (¥4.800) - 282.960

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If WiiU semi-succeeds and gets some japanese third party support, I imagine it'll run in conjunction with multi-plats on PS3. And as such all I can hear in my voice is Cell screaming: "I WILL LIVE... FOREVER!!!!"

I would think so, at least from Nintendo's perspective, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I know they count like 80 million copies of Wii Sports "sold," so I'm guessing it does.

4:1 is going to be a tough row to hoe though, unless the launch lineup has a long tail. (And it might, there's plenty of great stuff to play in it. It just suffers in cross-platform comparisons.)

kinggroin

Banned
For eventual comparison, what were the next three weeks for Wii.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we see a harder drop post holiday for hardware, than we saw for Vita.

schuelma

Thanks for the an

I think this was the biggest thing. I thought the Vita launch was bad but apparently not.

Someone can confirm, but with Vita I believe we knew immediately that the first shipment was not sold out first or second week and was not at all supply constrained which made the second week number look ominous.

thefro

Just going to echo everyone else at this point, but the first week doesn't really matter, all that counts is the momentum doesn't dive off a cliff, which I expect it won't in Japan too badly, but no way this will be another Wii in terms of sales.

Japan's the one market where Wii U could conceivably do better than the Wii did.

If WiiU semi-succeeds and gets some japanese third party support, I imagine it'll run in conjunction with multi-plats on PS3. And as such all I can hear in my voice is Cell screaming: "I WILL LIVE... FOREVER!!!!"

rollerken.jpg

They really need to promote Nintendoland better. The game is amazing in multiplayer and it's a system seller IMO.

Different strokes and what not, but I can't even begin to describe how vehemently I disagree with this assessment. Fun, novel game? Sure. A system seller? Err... no.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
At least, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate alone destroys what third parties sold on Wii at launch. Do you remember?

21. Swing Golf Pangya - 16,908 / NEW
32.) Red Steel (Wii, Ubisoft) - 9,392 / NEW
33.) SD Gundam (Wii, Bandai Namco) - 9,226 / NEW
37.) Tamagotchi Party (Wii, Bandai Namco) - 8,042 / NEW
47.) Elebits (Wii, Konami) - 5,791 / NEW

Takao

Banned
At least, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate alone destroys what third parties sold on Wii at launch. Do you remember?

lol

the more things change the more they also stay the same

Zombi U: 10.680

Figures are better than the UK, but that was to be expected given how poor the UK launch was. However it will be the next couple of weeks that will tell us how well it will do. If it maintains the launch momentum into the holiday buying season then the Wii U could become the default console for next gen Japanese games, and that will be a problem for Sony come PS4 launch. I think the Wii U gives Japanese publishers some respite if it is successful as they can re-use PS3 assets and HD development rather than adjust to new expensive full HD development for PS4.

It will be interesting to see where the chips fall in Japan, PS4 is not the default third party platform right now, but if the Wii U does not maintain some decent momentum then Nintendo will find it hard as Sony go in for the kill with PS4 for 2013 at least in Japan.

schuelma

Yup. I don't think many realize how unbelievably bad the 3rd party output was at launch and the first year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the Wii U gives Japanese publishers some respite if it is successful as they can re-use PS3 assets and HD development rather than adjust to new expensive full HD development for PS4.

Well, to be fair, quite a few Japanese publishers are already putting out PS2-esque games on the PS3, so I'm not sure the PS4 would actually change that much for them.

Monster Hunter week one / LTD comparison:
MHP3: 2,146,467 / 4,502,446
MHP3 HD: 282,960 / 404,510
MH3G: 461,055 / >1,600,000
MH3G HD: >106,454 /

Top Bottom