• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Japanese Launch: 308,570 systems sold, Mario leads with 170,563 copies

Yeah, but I think Luminous shows they're actually interested in doing that.

I mean, I guess they could just hand the engine to Eidos and call it a day, but it seems kind of pointless since they have Glacier 2 and Unreal Engine 4 on that front.

Sure, but they are also going bankrupt with HD development, eventually management will have to relent if they don't start showing a profit from HD development.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sure, but they are also going bankrupt with HD development, eventually management will have to relent if they don't start showing a profit from HD development.

Well, we are talking about a company that cancelled and delayed a bunch of HD Japanese games in favor of sinking tens of millions into a failed MMO, and are intending to try to relaunch it with a subscription in 2013, so I would say judgment isn't their strong point.

crinale

No, it's not; MH3 has gameplay in water [and of course other differences].

haha, wasn't paying attention.

I've totally missed it, sorry about that :)
But basically, they just keep adding stuff and say they are different games.
(and, between handheld and console HD versions, they aren't much contents added).
I guess people here in Japan are basically wanting to move on to MH4, since it supports BOTH ad-hoc and online multi-play.

Well, we are talking about a company that cancelled and delayed a bunch of HD Japanese games in favor of sinking tens of millions into a failed MMO, and are intending to try to relaunch it with a subscription in 2013, so I would say judgment isn't their strong point.

Yeah, good point...

Go_Ly_Dow

Konami, S-E and Capcom seem deadset on PS4/720 based on their engine development.

Will be interesting to see where Level 5, Namco and Atlus head. Me thinks they will focus on handhelds, PS3 and maybe Wii-U for at least another 2 years, and wait for a larger install base before moving on.

madmackem

So not bad launch numbers at all, will be interesting in the coming weeks thats where we will see what the outlook is going to be.

Laguna

Banned
Nice launch and the holiday season including new year sales are just around the corner.

If the new version of FFXIV flops as well they´ll probably start getting more humble.

madmackem

Yup. Nintendoland is worldwide flop relative to Nintendo's expectations. They wanted it to be the next Wii Sports. Not going to happen.

Its a shame because it shits on wii sports from a great height. Loving it, the games get better the more you play.

donny2112

Sony reported 980,000 PS2 units first week. They were selling them online through themselves as we'll at retail.

I think it was said that they were also selling preorders for systems that weren't shipped out until much later. Accurate PS2 launch numbers are a bit of a mess, then.

It will be interesting to see where the chips fall in Japan, PS4 is not the default third party platform right now, but if the Wii U does not maintain some decent momentum then Nintendo will find it hard as Sony go in for the kill with PS4 for 2013 at least in Japan.

I don't think Sony is in a position to go for the kill in Japan.

Except for the franchise that's in major decline (FF), ALL million selling franchises from this generation are on the WiiU. Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, all Nintendo franchises, etc, all on there. Other possible million selling games such as KH3, FFXV are not announced and still up in the air, even versus might end up on it.

The pressure is on Sony. They need to guarantee support. There hasn't been a DQ on a playstation platform since the PS2. MH is now gone. KH and FF are full on multiplatform games now. GT and HSG brand have diluted. The PSV situation kinda shows that Sony is going to struggle in Japan and I truly believe Sony and the PS4 is going to be in a tough spot there unless they buy a majority share in SE or something along those lines.

lol.

I do agree with what he's saying in general though. Looking at next-gen demos, those kinds of assets are going to require movie studio budgets. The Wii U could be a good safe haven for a lot of Japanese developers, especially since this might be the last year for the PSP/Vita.

Thraktor

Yup. Nintendoland is worldwide flop relative to Nintendo's expectations. They wanted it to be the next Wii Sports. Not going to happen.

It reminds me of the year when the Wii began to slide. Nintendo expected Kirby Epic Yarn and DKCR to carry the Wii through the holiday season with no Wii Sports/Fit equivalent. As much as they don't want to admit it, casual gamers are content not "moving on" to "bridge" games.

No, they want Wii U Sports to be the next Wii Sports. The reason they went with Nintendoland as a bundle as opposed to something like Wii Sports is precisely because of what Cosmo Clock is talking about; not enough people moved on from Wii Sports to other Nintendo games. Nintendoland isn't intended to sell the system the same way Wii Sports was, it's intended to sell Nintendo franchises to people who buy the system for the likes of NSMBU or Wii U Sports.

So not bad launch numbers at all, will be interesting in the coming weeks thats where we will see what the outlook is going to be.
I am sure they will dominate the Japan market with Wii U more than Wii; however, will it say much for the rest of the world? It'll most probably be like 3DS: almost exclusive support of Japan, only with a minimal support from the west

Konami, S-E and Capcom seem deadset on PS4/720 based on their engine development.

Will be interesting to see where Level 5, Namco and Atlus head. Me thinks they will focus on handhelds, PS3 and maybe Wii-U for at least another 2 years, and wait for a larger install base before moving on.

The companies in your first list have got big western ambitions and assets. The second group don't.

Also, Square are not exactly in very good health right now so their support for next gen may well be academic.

TheNatural

My Member!
Can't tell anything this early, since launches sell thru everywhere. Other than Western third parties are dead on Wii U, and some Japanese ones as well. Tekken on both sides of the Pacific is disasterous.

Best in class, not overall. They could easily have the best graphics on Wii U. However I don't think they could get better graphics on PS4 without increasing their budget, higher quality textures and full HD visuals means more staff and more money.

What this might do is extend the life of the PS3, which again is a problem for Sony.

So basically use the Wii U's lack of horsepower as an excuse while avoiding higher HD development costs? I don't think it works that way. As long as Square Enix's flagship graphical showcase (Final Fantasy) hits the mark, their reputation will be maintained. Releasing lower budget titles across multiple systems will help them balance their books as well. Artificially suppressing the talent of their artists (as well as potential multiplatform sales) by gunning for "best in class" on Wii U would cost them dearly.

Nilaul

Its a shame because it shits on wii sports from a great height. Loving it, the games get better the more you play.

Its not worth a full game price. At the end of the day its still a glorified mini-game collection.

However its not going to be a bomb, its going to sell over a million units worldwide, along with Mario, Monster Hunter and ZombiU

I don't know why people keep saying that Wii U is expensive in Japan. Basic set costs the same as current PS3 (25k yen). That is fucking cheap for launch.

Takao

Banned

Scamco will do PS4, but will support Wii U with other release. Level-5 will do Wii U since they target children, and the family console will be the best bet for them to reach that audience. Atlus will probably just be 3DS only.

crinale

Making FF14 a MMO was a bad decision to start with. However, since it's already decided (and have failed once), they better get FF14 straighten up at all costs, or they'll lose Final Fantasy brand for good.
IMHO the value of FF brand has already reached all-time low, but still they better save it somehow.

Nothing could be further from the truth!

Of course people who get the deluxe version [which is apparently noticeably more popular than the basic] will not double dip! And at least in Europe that we have the charts, it is the best/second best selling title.

West apparently doesn't care for dedicated handheld platforms, so Wii U can't be as bad as 3DS in terms of Western support.
Yes, sorry, I worded poorly; I meant compared to the PS3/360.

Scamco will do PS4, but will support Wii U with other release. Level-5 will do Wii U since they target children, and the family console will be the best bet for them to reach that audience. Atlus will probably just be 3DS only.
I think you underestimate Level-5's foolish ambitiousness (that I love <3).

So basically use the Wii U's lack of horsepower as an excuse while avoiding higher HD development costs? I don't think it works that way. As long as Square Enix's flagship graphical showcase (Final Fantasy) hits the mark, their reputation will be maintained. Releasing lower budget titles across multiple systems will help them balance their books as well. Artificially suppressing the talent of their artists (as well as potential multiplatform sales) by gunning for "best in class" on Wii U would cost them dearly.

The art direction wasn't the problem with FF XIII, that looked good enough to wow anyone then, today, or 3 years from now. The issue was all in the design, and a new platform is no guarantee of that changing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
West apparently doesn't care for dedicated handheld platforms, so Wii U can't be as bad as 3DS in terms of Western support.

Actually this is an interesting question.

How would you rate the Wii and GameCube's Western support versus the 3DS and DS's Western support?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Eh, but right now 3DS has an exclusive Castlevania: LOS coming, while Wii U doesn't have its version of LOS 2. It's a bit depressing. :(

madmackem

Its not worth a full game price. At the end of the day its still a glorified mini-game collection.

However its not going to be a bomb, its going to sell over a million units worldwide, along with Mario, Monster Hunter and ZombiU

I kind of agree, i dont think i wouldve been paying £40 for it at launch but since i give it a try because it came with my console im so glad i got it. Ive spent more time on nintendo land than any other launch title.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

How would you rate the Wii and GameCube's Western support versus the 3DS and DS's Western support?

I think you would have to call the home consoles support better right?

Better not if they want to stay competitive on a worldwide scale, is what I meant. If they don't mind getting most of their sales from Japan then they can do as they like.

They've been trying to stay competitive on a worldwide scale for years, yet their recent efforts have not fared well in the West. FFXIII-2 lost most of the first game's audience, Dragon's Dogma bombed outside Japan, NG3 tanked, RE6 is selling quite a bit worse than RE5, and while I could be wrong, I don't expect Rising to be a big success here.

Wii U is not, in itself, any kind of solution to this problem. But if next-gen efforts from Japanese studios underperform, which I expect to happen, at some point they're going to have to recognize that the days of worldwide Japanese console dominance aren't coming back and that attempting to match Western studios in the AAA arms race is a futile endeavor.

Takao

Banned
I think you underestimate Level-5's foolish ambitiousness (that I love <3).

They made 3 games on PS3, and two of those were because Sony paid them to make them. I kind of suspect we've seen the last of Level-5 on Sony hardware. They really have no place there anyways.

Sid

Meh launch,worse than VITA and obviously better than the PS3 which was expensive @ launch though it has gained a lot of momentum now.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's not a mini-game collection, though, it's a game collection.

Juken

Nothing could be further from the truth!

Of course people who get the deluxe version [which is apparently noticeably more popular than the basic] will not double dip! And at least in Europe that we have the charts, it is the best/second best selling title.

Depends on how you look at it. Nintendoland was an attempt to do for the Gamepad what Wii Sports did for the Wiimote. While it's still early, it doesn't seem to be having the same effect.

AzaK

No way they reach 5.5 million by April...

I agree. Enthusiast gamers aren't going to pick it up in droves due to the poor software outlook and mediocre power. Wii Fit U might give it a push, but it seems to be an overall hard sell. It's a great little console I'm finding but it is one you have to use for a bit to appreciate.

Also,don't forget Nintendo TVii. That could also provide a boost, but I basically see Wii U's hope turning more casual. Struggling to match current gen and a bleak 2013 multiplat outlook is starting to look to me like a Mario and fitness machine with the odd nice thing here and there.

I am just gutted that the 2013 multiplat release list looks as terrible as it does and it's not looking like changing. The only hope I'm finding I have left is that it might get downports from 720/PS4 if we're lucky but even that is looking a little worrisome.

AniHawk

hardware sales aren't bad, but software sales certainly are. monster hunter is the only thing doing well on the system, relative to units shipped at least.

nintendo land. man. i wonder if this will put an end to those types of games from them for a while. i'm sure if they saw this coming, they never would have made game & wario and have it out so close to launch.

Judging by sales, we are comparing like 5% of best selling titles being from the west vs 2% or something like that; in both cases you could disregard the western support [bar few titles like Just Dance for Wii]

Depends on how you look at it. Nintendoland was an attempt to do for the Gamepad what Wii Sports did for the Wiimote. While it's still early, it doesn't seem to be having the same effect.
Sorry, but I don't understand the whole NL worries. The game has been bundled with the Deluxe version; most people who care for it either got the Deluxe version or will get it; I think it's makes a lot of sense not to buy the basic version now even if you are partially interested in the NL.

And at least the impressions I have read on the GAF, are 'very' positive.

If we could have access of the non-bundled sales of the title, it could have a very low attach rate and still it would be impressive; as that meant people are willing to pay for the basic version and yet pick up the NL separately.

jeremy1456

That's a pretty good launch.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that the New Super Mario Bros. games are evergreen titles. Furthermore, I think it's safe to assume Nintendo Land will also be an evergreen title considering how well Wii Sports did but NSMBU alone ensures that the system's sales won't tank like those of the Vita.

Out of curiosity, do the Vita's launch sales in this thread account for as many days as the Wii U?

hardware sales aren't bad, but software sales certainly are. monster hunter is the only thing doing well on the system, relative to units shipped at least.

nintendo land. man. i wonder if this will put an end to those types of games from them for a while. i'm sure if they saw this coming, they never would have made game & wario and have it out so close to launch.

That might also benefit from being more of a known quantity and being released in a vacuum.

crinale

I don't know why people keep saying that Wii U is expensive in Japan. Basic set costs the same as current PS3 (25k yen). That is fucking cheap for launch.

Because it is targeted to the audience not interested in PS3/360 from the first place. At some game stores in Japan I've seen Wii sold out, not WiiU. Recession is really a global matter.

Top Bottom