• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: Not Enough Bandwith?

PaulLFC

Everyone with a little knowing about tech knows that the Wii U has more power than PS360. Not a little more but 2-3 more, under some circstances 10x more. That could already be said knowing the known tech facts month ago.
10x more? Um.... yeah... going to need a source for that...

It's not bad. Devs need to get used to this architecture, which is different to last-gen, so they are having troubles with the ports, not because the console is weaker, but because the old tricks don't work any more.

In the right hands, Wii U should be better than what we have currently, devs need to step up and try to work with the new architecture, then we'll be fine.

So pretty much the same thing that happens every gen...?

Radec

Everyone with a little knowing about tech knows that the Wii U has more power than PS360. Not a little more but 2-3 more, under some circstances 10x more. That could already be said knowing the known tech facts month ago.

10x i see..

Where can I get a ticket to get to the fantasy land you're in?

:)

Durante

Please tell me an example of those circumstances, I'd love to know.

I can point out an aspect where it's ~10x slower than PS360 in return!

ugoo18

Watchdogs or 1313 it is, then! Both pubs seem pretty ok with the Wii U so far.

I hope it's Watch_Dogs. That looks a hell of a lot more interesting than 1313, granted we have only seen a small glimpse of 1313 however that left a seriously bad impression for me. Looked and felt like Uncharted in Space rather than Star Wars.

OryoN

10x i see..

Where can I get a ticket to get to the fantasy land you're in?

:)

Please tell me an example of those circumstances, I'd love to know.

I can point out an aspect where it's ~10x slower than PS360 in return!

He probably has Wii U's potential 32MB eDRAM bandwidth in mind, which could easily be over 100 GB/s? But he's clearly taking some liberties since no one knows the configuration. He's also likely only comparing it to PS3 since Xbox 360 also boasts high eDRAM bandwidth figures(256 GB/s). Although, as mentioned before, Xbox 360's eDRAM bw figures are tied to ROPs, and sits off the GPU via a much narrower 32 GB/s bridge, which some say is a potential bottleneck. Wii U's eDRAM is expected to be "special" in the sense that sits directly on the GPU, improving the latency and bandwidth for a wide range of GPU processes, and could potentially far exceed that 32 GB/s figure of Xbox 360. Or, maybe not by that much at all. No one know.

Still, yeah, it sounds like someone is being way too dogmatic about something we know very little about.

I hope it's Watch_Dogs. That looks a hell of a lot more interesting than 1313, granted we have only seen a small glimpse of 1313 however that left a seriously bad impression for me. Looked and felt like Uncharted in Space rather than Star Wars.

I hope Watch_Dogs too, but I wasn't entirley serious when Isaid that before, either.

Soo... Ubisoft or Disney... both it is!

I thought 1313 was Activision?

ugoo18

Wikipedia said/says LucasArts.

We should end up with both 1313 and Watch_Dogs then.

LucasArts brought the Force Unleashed games to the Wii and as far as i can remember they have been pretty good with their support of Nintendo systems.

Ubisoft so far has been the best supporter of the WiiU and they appear to have the best relationship (As a western 3rd party) with Nintendo unless im forgetting someone.

Effect

Actually this is a (kinda) good point . Does Disney buying the starwars IP effect 1313?

All deals are still in place at the moment. That was the last official word for the most part. Doesn't mean Disney can't or won't demand changes in terms of platform, etc in the future. Their IP (they own Lucasarts) to do with as they wish.

joesiv

Ideaman has the answer.And like others pointed out, games are more and more scalable due to the engines.

Indeed, and actually any next gen game that's also targeting PC, will be feasible on WiiU just down to the fact that PC games have to be scaleable by nature. If Crysis or Unreal didn't play on a broad range of PC's it'd be a financial suicide. PC games are configurable, resolution, filtering, etc... Turn down enough sliders and you get an uglier version of the same game for lower spec machines.

I'm not saying the Wii U will get all the next gen games, but if there is a PC release that's reasonably developed, there shouldn't be a technical reason for it to not happen.

laughingkizo

Neo Member
the wii u under powered topic has been over blown, even though it still has the same basic cpu the GPU(shaders) has been majorly beefed op. games are not cpu bond
and the wii u as a 32MB buffer cache as wll as a 8GB io buffer to compensate for the lower main memory bandwidth.

AzaK

the wii u under powered topic has been over blown, even though it still has the same basic cpu the GPU(shaders) has been majorly beefed op. games are not cpu bond
and the wii u as a 32MB buffer cache as wll as a 8GB io buffer to compensate for the lower main memory bandwidth.

Huh? Are you talking about the Flash RAM? If so, I'm not sure if it's not actually slower than the drive which is 22ish MB/s. The load times of things on the Wii U would suggest it's damned terrible.

laughingkizo

Neo Member
Huh? Are you talking about the Flash RAM? If so, I'm not sure if it's not actually slower than the drive which is 22ish MB/s. The load times of things on the Wii U would suggest it's damned terrible.
flash memery has zero seek time and works better with larger pages, the allgarythams were not optimized flash is always faster the disk

ohlawd

I hope it's WD too. I know it's not right to base opinions on a trailer but SW1313 just looks like your generic hallway simulator garbage but nope, not the WD trailer. Hah maybe I'm wrong and 1313 ends up being an open world game and that the only reason they showed that particular section for the trailer is because they wanted to show off the face tech and ooh particles so pretty.

When that WD trailer first showed up on E3, it was engaging, fresh and entertaining right from the get go. I have high expectations for the game and if I had to choose between WD and 1313 for the Wii U, WD gets my vote.

The game is perfect for the Wii U anyway. There were some parts of the game where the guy whipped out a PDA thing.... put that shit on the GamePad, done.

not B3D... the people on that site are amazingly single minded. they have made up their mind what the Wii U is and isnt. basically the majority believe its a 360 nothing better and we will never see anything better than what this gen has given us.

I really think that they are realistic, and some of them knows more than most people in NeoGAF ;)

EDIT: And they are not saying that we will never see anything better than current gen.

Ryoku

Some people must read some B3D, the "GPGPU/eDRAM" magic is back :p

I don't like this idea that some people have where whenever "GPGPU capabilities" or "eDRAM" are mentioned, somehow the entire post is discredited. Granted, there are people who know nothing about it, and actually do believe that these are somehow "magical saviors", but the terms themselves lend some credence, and don't deserve to be the butt of many of these overused jokes (bad ones, at that). I'm not referring to your post specifically, but just as a general thought.

Also, why the B3D worship I see from some people? B3D is just another forum; not some ultra-secretive tech cult. Many people there are also wrong about certain things, and many others just share their opinions. I see it as a more tech-focused GAF.

I don't like this idea that some people have where whenever "GPGPU capabilities" or "eDRAM" are mentioned, somehow the entire post is discredited. Granted, there are people who know nothing about it, and actually do believe that these are somehow "magical saviors", but the terms themselves lend some credence, and don't deserve to be the butt of many of these overused jokes (bad ones, at that)..

A lot people "believe" that edram and/or GPGPU are the saviors. Can GPGPU and/or eDRAM (and a lot of work) do better things? yes, but it is not like a "magic" thing.

Also, why the B3D worship I see from some people? B3D is just another forum; not some ultra secretive tech cult. Many people there are also wrong about certain things, and many others just share their opinions. I see it as a more tech-focused GAF.

There are some devs and architects posting un B3D, and some people with more knowledge than me (and than a lot gafers xD ).

I'm not saying "B3D is better than other forums", I'm just saying some people on B3D have greater knowledge than most people in this thread.

Ryoku

A lot people "believe" that edram and/or GPGPU are the saviors. Can GPGPU and/or eDRAM (and a lot of work) do better things? yes, but it is not like a "magic" thing.

Well, yeah. My point was that in light of the basic leaked specs, the terms themselves have been somewhat of a mockery throughout GAF, regardless of the credence of the posts themselves. But this is getting a bit off-topic, anyways.

I just wish we knew exactly what the GPU's specs are (and not inferring/extrapolating them based on launch games and ports) :/

Ryoku

The games always tell the true story.

Wiiu is just a really weak hardware for 2012.

you will probably never see games that match the best on ps360.

I don't get this line of thinking. Do you think it's due to developer talent? Budget? Or do you suggest that the hardware isn't capable of keeping up with PS360?

AndyH, here in NeoGAF:

3/8/2012:

After this I hope some of the pessimism about 720 specs is dispelled.

Wii U as far as rumours go:
Tri core CPU (less powerful than 360 CPU)
DX10 level card (~4770)
1.5-2GB ram

This is still a fair jump over 360/PS3 right now and a massive leap over Wii. Epic will want their engine on everything and they won't miss out here although I don't see many games running over 720p unless they are just upressed PS3/360 games.

3/10/2012:

Nintendo will go 2gb at best, Microsoft 8gb. I hope shit finally gets cleared up at e3.

3/24/2012:

In comparison to 360, it has a weaker cpu, stronger gpu, and more ram. It will be the wii of the coming generation though for sure in terms of power.

The wild card is whether or not people are as wowed by the new controller as they were with the wii remote or just look at it as a poor mans tablet. Nintendo will be fine though. They have proven time and time again that they can get by just fine with their own games.

3/26/2012:

The specs that have been leaked have been pretty much spot on so far. The CPU is weaker than 360 which is pretty shocking, the graphics card is DX10 class, and there was 1GB of RAM last I heard. Now some info came out that the graphics card was around the level of a 4770 and there was possibly an increase in RAM - I have no idea whether or not those are true though. It will be the Wii in terms of specs in the coming generation though, that's for sure, in that it will be a bump compared to this generation but not even close to what MS and Sony will put out. What I've heard about MS plans mirrors Alberto - they are creating a monster of a console that will make graphics whore GAF weep tears of joy.

For me this is fine. I'm just happy to be able to play Nintendo games in HD for the first time and happy that PCs will soon no longer be chained to the floor by ancient technology.

I guess he is legit.

guek

Banned
I don't get this line of thinking. Do you think it's due to developer talent? Budget? Or do you suggest that the hardware isn't capable of keeping up with PS360?

He's saying you should judge a console solely by it's launch lineup because King Kong is the best looking 360 game ever made.

Ryoku

King Kong 360 has a better looking than Xbox 1 version... and a greater resolution too...

That's the thing, though. We know Wii U isn't miles ahead of its last-gen competitors, so things like higher resolution, or drastically better fidelity like the kind we saw jumping from Xbox to Xbox 360 is not really in the books.

Besides, a ~4770 esque GPU in a console is actually a pretty big step-up from Xenos. Not anything like an underclocked 7970M, but I digress.

wsippel

Banned
AndyH, here in NeoGAF:

I guess he is legit.
I guess he's not a programmer, though. Marcan doesn't seem to agree that the CPU is actually weaker. Well, it depends on the workload, of course.

Also, neither Durango nor Orbis appear to be "monsters", with their netbook CPUs and notebook GPUs. Sure, the numbers are big, but what's behind those numbers isn't really all that impressive. I still don't see another Wii situation - at least not on a pure performance level.

Top Bottom