• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

multivac

So I'm thinking of getting the Wii U Pro Controller for Black Ops, but seeing as Black Ops supports the Wii Classic Controller Pro, what are the real benefits of spending over twice as much for the Wii U Pro Controller? Do we even have a list of Wii U games that support it?

Juice

posting this from the wii u browser. very solid browser so far, but the stylus drags a little bit making scrolling and gestures uncomfortable.

NoRéN

Just went to Target to pick up a portable HD. They had a few deluxe and even more basics. Guy at counter said that did not include reservations.

Then I went to a grocery store next to Best Buy and there was a huge line. I could help but laugh since some of those people had been waiting overnight when they could have just checked target at opening and got one no hassles.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
They're not usually good at it at all. I love them but they're shit at making snappy UIs. Even their best games are full of "Press A" to acknowledge / continue moments, and horribly styled buttons and text. The 3ds transitions from home menu to any piece of useful software like the eshop, swapnote, friends list or internet browser way too slowly..

if Wii U is transitioning slowly I really hope its something they can fix with updates
I think the 3DS UI got faster with updates. Right now I'd say the Wii U one is 5 times slower.

I'm looking at the box and it says I need a motion plus and a nunchuck or original wii pro controller.

My guess is that Sonic Racing supports the Pro, because the back of the box shows the Classic Controller. If they support that and not the Pro...**** them. I'll know soon enough whenever this horrendous 2 hour update finishes. God. Oh and apparently Nintendo copied Sony instead of Microsoft. Everything needs to be downloaded and then installed and the install takes forever. BOO.

I have been waiting nearly an hour for this update to finish and it isn't even half way done yet.

Way to suck ass day 1, Nintendo.

They could at least allow background loading. This is 2012 not 2001.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Obligitory "posting this from my Wii U" post.

Picked it up from Walmart a couple hours ago. Took forever to download the update but everythings good now.

Thread is too massive to backread so sorry if this has been mentioned already but I can confirm Wii U works with Wii USB ethernet connectors. Currently connected with a Nyko NetConnect. Works great.

cajunator

Banned
downloading the update now.

I headed out at 11:35 as the mall opens at noon.
Got there around 11:45 am to the Gamestop entrance and then within a couple of minutes there was a line behind me. It was about 15 people. I mentioned how people should be able to walk in places and get one of these pretty easy due to lack of hype but the Gamestop employee said "actually, you'd be surprised". I guess its selling well here. There was a line at Best buy too but that could be for anything really.

beanman25

Best Buy was great about this. They only had 6 consoles from in store pre orders, but everything went off without a hitch. In and out in 10 minutes, will try it out after the Rams game.

Updating now though.

cajunator

Banned
I was able to manually setup my wifi connection here within seconds. Its very smooth and quick.
The download though, is taking some time.
Probably like some said because a few hundred thousand are trying to download a large series of updates at the same time.
Remember how much of a pain in the ass it was to connect in SSBB on the Wii at first.

Brannon

Looks like my Target strategy of just go there and get one worked. Now I just have to wait.

Wait for the update.

Waiting.

Teh hella Nintendo...

kaioshade

So I am most likely missing something here, but how does the digital promotion work? How does Nintendo know I am using a Deluxe console. I linked my Nintendo ID o the console, but I go to purchase a game digitally and it is the same price as usual. Wasn't there supposed to be a 10% discount for premium owners or something? I looked in the papers and there isn't anything to register my system or anything like that.

Some clarity would be appreciated.

Welp thanks to this post I know have a Wii U basic and a copy of sonic and sega all stars racing. Microcenter had 3 systems left when I got there. Don't know whether to thank you or hate you. I figure I can gamefly Nintendoland and buy a good external drive for less than $50 somewhere online black friday.

Well, I feel the same way. Lol

I really had little interest. But being a game nut, I kept an eye on everything this week. Went into microcenter, over an hour after they opened, no preorder. And they had 3. I felt like I had no real choice in the matter. : (

cajunator

Banned
Wow this music is so soothing.
this is definitely a slow download.
1/7th done after 10 minutes lol. Gonna take an hour at this rate.

So, hows the gamepad range? Anyone able to play upstairs? Downstairs? Outside? On the toilet?

It's bad for me.

I get out of the room with it from about 15 to 20 feet and I get a "unstable connection" notification on the GamePad.

Also, is anyone planning on trading in or selling their copy of Nintendo Land? I might just to get another game instead.

Brannon

Wow this update is slow.

I'm going to touch my console all over and put fingerprints on it and just get that little OCD haggle out of the way.

anyone with a deluxe set who isn't going to stand up their wiiu willing to sell me there stand pieces? I'm willing to spend 20 bucks if someone doesn't need them

kyo27

So there are approximately 3,000 Wii Us on eBay. And every single one is getting under $100 profit after eBay and paypal fees. I remember scalpers on here thinking they were going to sell their systems for around $800. Now they will be lucky to pocket $50 and still have to worry about chargebacks.

Just going to do other shit while this updates. Could register the hardware and get my coins... wait where the hell is the Club Nintendo serial number?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This might be a better place than the review thread... but did anyone else Wii U got stuck in the white screen that follows the window asking to create a user? I've been waiting for like 5 mins!

alf717

So, hows the gamepad range? Anyone able to play upstairs? Downstairs? Outside? On the toilet?

I'm on the third floor. When going to the second floor it warned me it was losing signal. When I got to the first floor it lost signal.

Updating Nintendo Land right now.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So only 131 people online for CoD ! Wow, runs fine online, I played the first part of the game on Xbox and I feel like the frame rate on the wii-u ain't as good as Xbox during the first mission. Hopefully more pick it up cuz only 131 people is worrying.

krae_man

Okay, why doesn't the sensor bar have a stand? Whatever, I just taped it to the top of my Wii Sensor bar(which is on a stand). Don't think that should be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom