• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Installing the updates. Beautiful console.
CdiHo.jpg

v1oz

The Wii U launch could be end up being a minor disaster. I've never seen such a lukewarm reception to a new major console launch. Has it been mentioned that there is no support for DLC yet? Lots of basic functionality not yet active! A day one hour long firmware update! And judging by the new RAM details it's going to be very difficult to produce ports of mildly complex X360/PS3 games because of the reduced bandwidth.

Someone should be calling for Iwata's head. He may end up going the way Gunpei Yokoi after the Virtual Boy fiasco.

Eric C

So I am most likely missing something here, but how does the digital promotion work? How does Nintendo know I am using a Deluxe console. I linked my Nintendo ID o the console, but I go to purchase a game digitally and it is the same price as usual. Wasn't there supposed to be a 10% discount for premium owners or something? I looked in the papers and there isn't anything to register my system or anything like that.

Some clarity would be appreciated.

It's a 10% rebate, on your eshop account

and you won't get that rebate until December, but anything you buy and download now until December will be rebated.

I think after December the rebate will be quicker, maybe rebated right after you purchase a game, I dunno.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Those Xbox 360 games (?) remind me of the inevitable question, Eggman: Has anyone inserted a non-Wii U game (or non-Wii game) in the console yet? If so, what was the message?

It appears that the update downloads in the background.

I started up my new deluxe system. It asked to download the update, I said yes. The download was taking forever and suddenly, it hit some error that it lost connection or something. It dropped out of that and proceeded to the wii U menu. I made a mii, and my wife was going to make a mii, but the baby needed to be put down for a nap, so we left the system on for like 40 minutes.

I was dinking around with other things. I thought. "What the hell, I will drop out of the mii creator and just try Mario. I dropped out of the Mii creator, and it suddenly said it had the update and was ready to install. It installed and everything worked ok.

Apparently, the update finished itself in the background. I did not expect that.

steveovig

The Wii U launch could be end up being a minor disaster. I've never seen such a lukewarm reception to a new major console launch. Has it been mentioned that there is no support for DLC yet? Lots of basic functionality not yet active! A day one hour long firmware update! And judging by the new RAM details it's going to be very difficult to produce ports of mildly complex X360/PS3 games because of the reduced bandwidth.

Someone should be calling for Iwata's head. He may end up going the way Gunpei Yokoi after the Virtual Boy fiasco.

If only they replaced Iwata and Reggie too. Way too many mistakes and oversights.

C-Drive

So, anyone able to confirm you can do the entire system update via gamepad only? I'm thinking of taking mine in to work tomorrow in order to get the update.

Feeroper

Hey, Im trying to register my copy of Nintendo land that as bundled with the deluxe set - anyone else not get a PIN# for club nintendo? I thought it was maybe built into the coin reward when you register the deluxe, but it looks like the deluxe and basic both get the same coin reward (160).

Anyone know?

ultrazilla

Ok every single game I bought has required an update. NSMBU, ZombiU and COD:BO II. I can see ZombiU and COD but Mario needing a day 1 update? Seriously?

hatchx

Banned
Why is the internet connection test failing everytime?

I checked the password, I know it's correct, and it's FINDING the networks so obviously the wifi in my WiiU works.

I'm wondering what it could be. I've tried all the regular means of troubleshooting (powering down, etc).

Fuuuck someone help me out.

Maaseru

Banned
I got the same garbage email from TRU, enraged is the word that comes to mind. Especially after getting the confirmation email that the order was processing. I will never do business with TRU again.
I got an email at 2am confirming order processing and then I woke up to this... It sucked although I got lucky by going into the TRU store I had also a reservation, that another story because they sent me an email saying the system was delayed at the store too, but I went to check and saw them handing them out. Was lucky enough to get my deluxe, but still that was another fuck up, If it wasn;t for my curiosity and impatience I would have just missed that too...

So onto the online TRU preorders. It says cancelled only on that email, the order is still up on the site and I called them, talked to a rep and she said the order was only delayed, but that it still was on the system, she even gave me a reference number. Although she said to wait about 2-4 weeks.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The Wii U launch could be end up being a minor disaster. I've never seen such a lukewarm reception to a new major console launch.

Wii targeted people that were mostly not heavy traditional gamers. The people that lineup for these launches are the hardcore. PS3 had a huge launch, so launches don't necessarily indicate platform success.

If I get bored I may try to pick one up on Wednesday. I'm not terribly interested in the launch games, really. But I love new shiny hardware, and eventually EAD, Monolith, or Retro will release a good game.

Hello doppleganger! :)

Did the same at my Gamestop. 11am but had the black premium edition. First one to walk out with a system. Nobody there!

Also picked up screen protectors, ZombiU, NSMBU and Black Ops II. :)

Connected fine to my wireless network, now just updating the system. At least the music is soothing.

Then I plan on going to the estore to pick up Nano Assault and Trine 2 then hit the physical copy games.

Welcome to next gen Nintendo!!

Good taste :)

So, went through the update process, imported my Mii from the 3DS, and just formatted an external hard drive (really quick and simple).

On to importing my Wii stuff next...sometime today I'll actually get around to playing a game on this thing, lol.

My friend woke up to a bricked wii u this morning after successfully updating. Tech support apparently confirmed it. That's some really shitty luck right there.

Blinking light of sorrow.

Taker666

Anyone know if any launch games have a 3D mode?
I know Nintendo said it would be enabled later on ...but a Ubi rep claimed AC3 had a 3D mode on Wii U.I'd be interested to know if Trine 2 DC does as well (or if was all baloney and no games do).

kaioshade

I don't see a Nintendo club rewards slip in my deluxe box. Am I overlooking it somehow or did I get ganked?

Yea, I am trying to figure that out as well. I put my serial number into club Nintendo and it asks me to link my system, which I have already done, yet I don't get the coins. very weird.

Eric C

So, anyone able to confirm you can do the entire system update via gamepad only? I'm thinking of taking mine in to work tomorrow in order to get the update.

When you first turn it on you need a TV screen to get the code to sync the GamePad.

After that everything else with the update can be done with just the GamePad.

This might be a better place than the review thread... but did anyone else Wii U got stuck in the white screen that follows the window asking to create a user? I've been waiting for like 5 mins!

yep. I daringly unplugged the console because the powerbutton wouldn't turn it off.

Restarted and selected to create new mii...and it worked.

well today wasn't the best to get sick and wake up at 1pm. lmao my RSS is going to take so long to catch up with

...how is it? is all the paperwork that comes with it bigger than the actual console?

ultrazilla

Never, ever deal with TRU and pre-ordering. You will be burned. I learned my lesson with the PS3 launch. Waited all night in line to get a pre-order. Then found out the morning the systems came in that they did not get enough systems for pre-orders and got burned. To say I was upset was an understatement.

RetroGreg

This might be a better place than the review thread... but did anyone else Wii U got stuck in the white screen that follows the window asking to create a user? I've been waiting for like 5 mins!

I did. I had to unplug the system from the wall and reboot. The next time I tried it only took like a minute.

robot

If anyones looking for another launch game to get, highly recommend grabbing Sonic Racing. Really awesome game!

NPDs for November are going to be really interesting... Has Nintendo said how many consoles were made available for the US launch?

First a lukewarm 3DS launch then the same with the WiiU (and on a console that they are taking a loss on). Doesn't sound good.

Part of me hopes it makes Nintendo make some changes in how they do things. They are the least user friendly of the big three. Especially in the online/digital game area.

Just announce a 3D Mario and a new (AND I MEAN COMPLETELY DIFFERENT) Zelda game and I will feel 100x better.

effzee

So if I go into Target tonight I might get one? In NYC here.

Wasn't super excited to get one day 1 but might try tonight just to see if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom