• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

I didn't do anything. My gamepad looked like this as soon as I turned it on. I just want to get it back to normal so I can use the system. I can't figure out how to reboot it. Does anyone know how to do a hard reset?

Ive got an inkling that your Wii U might not be correctly flashed or configured, basically, its production was fucked up. That screen should not display after factory production is finished,

Phone Nintendo.

Ok, I have been sitting at the screen that says "Look at controller" after setting up a Nintendo ID for about 5 minutes. Did it lock up? Should I restart?

I didn't do anything. My gamepad looked like this as soon as I turned it on. I just want to get it back to normal so I can use the system. I can't figure out how to reboot it. Does anyone know how to do a hard reset?
Congrats on accidentally getting a secret dev kit. Should auction it off on a homebrew forum.

Godslay

Banned
Yeah I love that sound comes out of the pad

Sound is great. Screen is pretty damn nice (nicer than I expected). I don't think I will play on my tv unless I absolutely have to. Really impressed so far.

Has anyone tried Netflix or the like? What's the quality like?

pestul

I think you just play a game and don't worry about manually inputing the update.. update downloads in the background automatically = win.

Jtrizzy

Downloading Mario currently. No cod on the e store though? Has anyone commented on its resolution and frame rate? I saw earlier that it looked really nice on the pad

krae_man

I couldn't get the youtube channel to work. Not available in Canada yet?

I manged to get to it via the web browser however:

ZyuhU.jpg

guek

Banned
Browser is fast? Do you people saying this use tablets? This thing icheckerboards(minus the checkerboard graphic) more than iPad 1 did. Yuck. Having now used the 360 browser, PS3 updated browser, and this, this one ranks dead last for speed and UI. None of them can compete with Chrome on a tablet.

I set a download to finish and turn off the Wii U, but three times now the Wii U has shut off after about 15 minutes without ever completing the download.

Anyone else's drive spin endlessly when a disc is inserted? Not sure why Nintendo feels the need to spin the drive when the game isn't being played or used.

I've played Sonic Racing so far and switching from TV to pad is as simple as swiping a finger down the screen. Swiping up puts the game back on the TV. It's a cool feature, but ultimately not one I'll use much since the game on the pad wasn't very clear and I had a much harder time driving precisely on the smaller screen.

I'm not sure what I expected overall, but I didn't think I'd find it so lacking compared to the experience one gets on the PS3 and 360. I hope it grows on me, but mostly I hope Nintendo does something drastic to address the speed issues. Doing anything, and I mean anything, takes forever.

Goddamnit man, why the ever loving fuck did you even buy one? So you can keep endlessly bitching about it on pretense that you're an owner? Seriously, you're one of the most depressing posters I've ever had the misfortune to come across.

The browser is fine. It's GREAT actually. And yes, this is coming from someone who also regularly uses a ipad. It's easily the best console browser. Will it replace using my laptop for searching functions?? No, but TV browsing is still going to be sweet.

Am I missing an option somewhere to turn off the pad screen when downloading something?

Goddamnit man, why the ever loving fuck did you even buy one? So you can keep endlessly bitching about it on pretense that you're an owner? Seriously, you're one of the most depressing posters I've ever had the misfortune to come across.

The browser is fine. It's GREAT actually. And yes, this is coming from someone who also regularly uses a ipad. It's easily the best console browser. Will it replace using my laptop for searching functions?? No, but TV browsing is still going to be sweet.

Our definition of great is different. It needs work. When I scroll a page and it has to redraw, that's not great. As for you comment about people not being allowed to critique a device they bought, shut up. Don't like it, don't read it.

Sound is great. Screen is pretty damn nice (nicer than I expected). I don't think I will play on my tv unless I absolutely have to. Really impressed so far.

Downloading it now.

BadAss2961

WTF is going on. I have everything physically set up but when I got the point of syncing my game pad with the system, this test screen appeared on the game pad screen.

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this? I tried googling this problem but I wasn't able to find anything.
Wow... Already?

VanWinkle

Browser is fast? Do you people saying this use tablets? This thing icheckerboards(minus the checkerboard graphic) more than iPad 1 did. Yuck. Having now used the 360 browser, PS3 updated browser, and this, this one ranks dead last for speed and UI. None of them can compete with Chrome on a tablet.

I set a download to finish and turn off the Wii U, but three times now the Wii U has shut off after about 15 minutes without ever completing the download.

Anyone else's drive spin endlessly when a disc is inserted? Not sure why Nintendo feels the need to spin the drive when the game isn't being played or used.

I've played Sonic Racing so far and switching from TV to pad is as simple as swiping a finger down the screen. Swiping up puts the game back on the TV. It's a cool feature, but ultimately not one I'll use much since the game on the pad wasn't very clear and I had a much harder time driving precisely on the smaller screen.

I'm not sure what I expected overall, but I didn't think I'd find it so lacking compared to the experience one gets on the PS3 and 360. I hope it grows on me, but mostly I hope Nintendo does something drastic to address the speed issues. Doing anything, and I mean anything, takes forever.

I can't believe you're disappointed after how optimistic you sounded last night lol

denshuu

So how are people finding the browser experience vs., say, a phone/tablet? All I want is for it to be an upgrade over phone browsing.

Definitely an upgrade over the 360 and PS3, but nowhere near as nice as a tablet. There's no cursor, so you're basically using the d-pad to tab from element to element in order to 'click' on stuff.

Can't test Youtube yet because they haven't updated the youtube app.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Setting up the wii u is pretty slick esp the tv remote features. I love entering info via touch, I swear there is nothing worse than entering long passwords on the ps3 lol

I hope this doesn't spiral into something bad, but after tinkering with the Wii BC functionality, I noticed you can't see what version of the Wii firmware you're on. I'm curious because has anyone figured out or been crazy enough to see if you can install Wii specific homebrew (like HBC) on the Wii U since it has the Wii firmware intact?

Terrell

Anecdotal: EBGames in east Burnaby, BC was selling me my system and answered the phone, was another store on the line:

"How's your WiiU launch day been?..... Oh yeah, we've been crazy busy, already cleared 10K."

He said this 2 hours after the store opened. That number sounds like a LOT for an EB in one of the lower-traffic malls.

guek

Banned

Netflix loads a bit slow (live everything) but once it's loaded, it's great. It's UI is also WORLDS better than the 360 one I usually use. SO MUCH BETTER AAAH.

I hate the 360 netflix UI so goddamn much.

That's something else I wanted to bring up. Traversing menus, shopping, etc. it's much better than what you get on 360. I hate how I always feel like I have to keep digging and digging and digging to find the game I want on the 360. It's a very seamless and accessible experience on the gamepad.

methodman

Banned

he really is depressing as hell, lol

my wii u is updating, but the screen is way cleaner then i ever thought it'd be. pretty impressed so far and the tv setup was so damn simple.

gryz

Banned
Coolest part is asynchronous browsing. I can have youtube or netflix playing something on my tv and seamlessly keep browsing on the gamepad. It's a really nice browser. It just need a vertical scroll bar.

how do you do this? i tried launching the browser while in netflix and it closed netflix

MegalonJJ

Banned
Hey guys, as the Wii U isn't out here for a while, could someone please play Mario Galaxy 1/2 and see what it's like playing through the HDMI(/internal scaler) please?

Especially compared to playing it on a Wii through component cables.

Rootbeer

Banned
bleh got disconnected from nintendo network while downloading first system update patch.

thankfully after finishing the setup process it is letting me resume. i'm at about 80% now

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't like that my gamepad makes a slight rattling sound when I shake it a bit.

Mine too as does at least one other person's in this thread.

Considering trying to open it up and look around but i'll wait, i bet someone will post a guide on this issue eventually.

worst case scenario i'll buy a second one next year when available. i'm good for it :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Were the Giant Bomb dudes just playing the split screen/pad mode for BLOPS2 online?

WTF is going on. I have everything physically set up but when I got the point of syncing my game pad with the system, this test screen appeared on the game pad screen.

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this? I tried googling this problem but I wasn't able to find anything.

You accidentally hacked the Wii U.

How's the browser? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom