• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess their servers are getting hammered? I finally finished downloading the firmware update, went to create a new account for first time user and now it's stuck on a white screen with the Wii U logo in the lower righthand corner. Guess the system is either queuing or constantly try to connect to their servers.

guek

Banned
how do you do this? i tried launching the browser while in netflix and it closed netflix

Hmmm...I thought I got netflix to do this last night, but I might be remembering it wrong (this was at 4am). You can definitely do it with youtube though.

Mudkips

Banned
Mine too as does at least one other person's in this thread.

Considering trying to open it up and look around but i'll wait, i bet someone will post a guide on this issue eventually.

worst case scenario i'll buy a second one next year when available. i'm good for it :p

Mine does this as well. Sounds similar to the 3DS rattle (from the pedometer?).

Am not concerned.

Godslay

Banned
You cant use Netflix without the update anyway, so you didn't have much choice.

:jnc

So I guess it wasn't a mistake!

I'm not looking to be too impressed with Netflix. After seeing it on the Vita, I don't think anything will come close to that as far as handhelds are concerned.

I was wrong, my pad definitely rattles as well. It's not the stylus, not the buttons, not the triggers. Not sure what's loose, but since we all have it it's probably normal.

:jnc

So I guess it wasn't a mistake!

I'm not looking to be too impressed with Netflix. After seeing it on the Vita, I don't think anything will come close to that as far as handhelds are concerned.

It's nicer on Vita(screen quality. Whether or not you prefer the UI is personal opinion). The Vita store is nicer too. Unless I'm missing something in the Wii U Shop, there's no tabs for demos etc. If what you want isnt on the front screen, it's not easily found.

Boogiepop

Oh god the transfer tool is AMAZING.
Felt sorry for that poor purple Pikmin that almost got left behind, but it turned out okay.
Any idea why Lost Winds doesn't transfer? Everything else transferred (with the obvious exception of some of the extra channels).

bryehn

My system locked up bad when I was looking through the settings after the update :/

Literally had to unplug it.

Can't say I'm impressed with the build quality of the game pad, nor it's screen. Feels kind of cheap and I think one of my bumpers is loose. And man, is the OS slow or what?

How do I zoom in in Miiverse?

Hey guys, as the Wii U isn't out here for a while, could someone please play Mario Galaxy 1/2 and see what it's like playing through the HDMI(/internal scaler) please?

I'd be interested in this too maybe with a game like D.K. Country Returns that had a bit of underscanning to know how it behaves now in this regard too.

hatchx

Banned
So Nintendoland is updating....and now installing.

This sort of sucks. I wish it could download updates in the background.

Lyude77

Should I feel bad for taking Inspectah Deck as my NNID? I just like the Wu Tang Clan reference, but I'd feel awful if Inspectah Deck actually gpt a Wii U, haha.

Walked into my local Target around 9:30 and they had both SKUs in stock. Got a Deluxe model, now waiting for it to do the epic firmware update. Why are Nintendo downloads always SO SLOW?

guek

Banned
I...I don't have to buy "points" in bulk...

I don't have to buy points in bulk.

You can just directly purchase software for their exact amount using a credit card (which can also be saved to system). AH! So happy. So far, Wii U eShop >>>> 360 Marketplace (but I really hated the 360 marketplace so I might be an outlier here).

Darko

Walked into my local Target around 9:30 and they had both SKUs in stock. Got a Deluxe model, now waiting for it to do the epic firmware update. Why are Nintendo downloads always SO SLOW?
Get ready for the updates for every game you put into the thing

guek

Banned

Apparently the update will automatically download in the background while you're playing a game if you opt out of it initially. Just an fyi I wish I had known.

bodine1231

You can play Mario while it downloads Gary,you dont have to wait.

Are there any virtual console games up? I didnt see any,you'd think they'd load it up with SNES and NES games,I bet the look great on the pad.

Apparently the update will automatically download in the background while you're playing a game if you opt out of it initially. Just an fyi I wish I had known.

Ah that explains it. Opted out so my Daughter and I played to the first castle of Mario then saved. Went to do the update, had a near half full bar from the start.

Brannon

he-hey! Youtube.com works.

Also went to Nintendo's website and yeah, it formats the whole hard drive regardless of partitioning. Sucks but expected, really.

TAS

Guys..are you finding the OS in general to be slow? I mean..something as simple as selecting system settings takes 10 seconds to come up. WTF is going on? And I've already downloaded the update.

Magnus

Christ the OS is slow. As others have said, even just going into settings is a 10-second affair.

And no, a no-cursor browser is always going to be inferior to touch. I can't even understand arguing otherwise.

HD Mario is beautiful. Just imagining what Galaxy's successor will look like makes me wet.

antonz

Guys..are you finding the OS in general to be slow? I mean..something as simple as selecting system settings takes 10 seconds to come up. WTF is going on? And I've already downloaded the update.

There is a lot of OS optimization to come for sure.

guek

Banned

OS is slow. I expect it to be optimized in the future. The OS speed changed after launch day on the wii too (albeit not that much)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom