• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunonabi

Did anyone order a Wii U from gamestop to be shipped? Mine has been shipped and the order is closed but they haven't charged my CC. Is that normal?

Does anyone else's Wii U drive spin endlessly with a game in the drive? Even if you're not playing the game?

My Wii U spins obnoxiously too, although it isn't really noticeable once I'm playing a game with music. It is a little worrying though, seemed a bit louder than I expected.

For those hoping to find one, your odds wont be too bad if you hurry. I work at Best Buy and we had enough of the Deluxe units to cover all pre orders and the line (only 10 people) and had 3 left. Sold only one of the 8GB's by the time I left at 12.

And we have some on order already hopefully by mid week. So supply, at least at our store/market, isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be

dwu8991

Banned
for amusement's sake, i think i'll walk into some stores and see if i can get one day one.

right now it sounds like the worst thing nintendo's done in years:

-low cpu, slow ram
-games in 2013? maybe?
-lack of 2013/future titles and console innards make it hard for current ports, let alone games from more powerful consoles
-every showing of the console has been absolutely terrible
-launch titles that should be here are pushed back- notably pikmin 3 which has a big question mark above its head. tells me they made it a gap-filler in their release schedule
-online is weird
-launch games are polarizing or not very good... aside from nsmbu.

and it's weird because they were originally planning for a mid-2012 launch. you'd think with an extra six months, they could have gotten their shit together or future-proofed the system a little more.

if i do end up impulse-buying, it'll probably be so i could play the last story and other wii games i never got to finish (and didn't want to risk playing on my dying wii).

Sad but True !!!

My Wii U spins obnoxiously too, although it isn't really noticeable once I'm playing a game with music. It is a little worrying though, seemed a bit louder than I expected.

I guess it's normal then. It's stupid that you'd be spinning the disc when the user isn't doing anything game related.

liGjRl.jpg

d0c_zaius

so installed mario, ejected disc to begin update of next game, system hard locks and had to pull the plug to get back to the main menu.

combine this with the insanely long setup, update and per game update, and this isnt really a good first impression.

You know it's not a great launch line-up when the cashier tells you there's a buy-two-get-one-free deal and you just can't find three games that make it worth it. I got NSMBU and I imagine that's all I'll be getting for a while.

You know it's not a great launch line-up when the cashier tells you there's a buy-two-get-one-free deal and you just can't find three games that make it worth it. I got NSMBU and I imagine that's all I'll be getting for a while.

NSMBU, ZombiU (you'd love it, all the American outlets hate it and all the UK outlets love it), Scribblenauts Unlimited (fantastic reviews)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Missing out on ZombiU, it's pretty great so far.

reminder

Man, i love console launches, no matter what system it is :) I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan anymore, but it's interesting to see/read all the impressions. The Wii U isn't a "day 1" purchase for me, though. Maybe i'll join when Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker HD (a man can dream...) comes out. Until then, i hope you guys enjoy your new console. Have fun!

Chatin

Picked up the Deluxe with a couple Pro pads, NSMBU, Zombi U, BO2, and AC3. Checking out all the functionality but disappointed not to have a killer app at launch. 3D Mario would have been perfect.

Triz

Are there club nintendo points with the wii u system. I cant find a redmption card? There is a red club nintendo card but no redemption code.

guek

Banned
Whoa, here's another surprising little feature. It's not much but it seems you don't have to power on the system to use the gamepad's universal remote feature. Just hit tv and the remote pops up!! Brilliant! I had turned off my wii u before turning off my tv and groaned because I though I had to dig around looking for the tv remote. Apparently not!!

Toki767

But it's not even really Buy 2 Get 1 Free. It's Buy 2 Get 1 50% off lol

I've got a few burning questions for you new Wii U owners. Sorry if any of them have already been answered; this thread is massive.

1. Can just a certain partition on an external drive be used, or does the entirety have to be formatted?
2. Can Wii homebrew be used in Wii mode? Is homebrew kept from a Wii system transfer?
3. Can users sign into an existing account on another system and download content linked to that account on that system, keep any stats tracked on that account, etc.?
4. Can non-motionplus equipped Wii Remotes be used in any Wii U games, especially New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendoland?
5. What, if anything, does the Gamepad display when it loses signal from the console?
6. Is there any sort of cross-game chat solution?
7. Can system updates be downloaded in the background?
8. What are download speeds for eShop games like? Are they throttled at a certain speed?
9. Is there a screenshot function?
10. Can the Gamepad be turned off independently of the console?

Thanks in advance.

1) Nope, it's all or nothing.
2) I don't know but I'd doubt it.
3) I'm pretty sure this is a no too.
4) Yes, but some Nintendoland games are going to need the motion plus.
5) It has a little X between the system and the screen. First it says that the signal is weak or something, then it's lost. It reconnects automatically.
6) I don't think so. Haven't tried any chat myself though.
7) I think they can.
8) It took me about a half an hour to get Mario, but I imagine their servers are busy right about now.
9) No.
10) I don't know. I think not, but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps somewhat.

AniHawk

i probably would have jumped on nsmbu, need for speed, and pikmin 3 if they were all available at launch. would have held me over until rayman.

but rayman is march and pikmin 3 is spring, and nfs is next year too. so... what gives.

guek

Banned
i probably would have jumped on nsmbu, need for speed, and pikmin 3 if they were all available at launch. would have held me over until rayman.

but rayman is march and pikmin 3 is spring, and nfs is next year too. so... what gives.

There's always sing party.

Wiz

Just got home with her. She's updating now. :)

And before you guys crucify me for buying a basic set, just know that I busted my ass all day looking for a Deluxe. No dice. Just ended up taking my GameStop preorder. I'll probably get a external HDD later on today. I also don't buy digital retail games, so I'm not too salty about missing out on the promotion.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I've got a few burning questions for you new Wii U owners. Sorry if any of them have already been answered; this thread is massive.

1. Can just a certain partition on an external drive be used, or does the entirety have to be formatted? From my understanding the entire thing has to be formatted.
2. Can Wii homebrew be used in Wii mode? Is homebrew kept from a Wii system transfer? Don't know.
3. Can users sign into an existing account on another system and download content linked to that account on that system, keep any stats tracked on that account, etc.? I doubt the first one. Second one seems unlikely as well.
4. Can non-motionplus equipped Wii Remotes be used in any Wii U games, especially New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendoland? Depends on the game.
5. What, if anything, does the Gamepad display when it loses signal from the console? Haven't tried it.
6. Is there any sort of cross-game chat solution? Nope.
7. Can system updates be downloaded in the background? Yes.
8. What are download speeds for eShop games like? Are they throttled at a certain speed? My download for Nano Assault Neo took a couple minutes, but it's <100 MB.
9. Is there a screenshot function? Yes but it seems to ONLY be for Miiverse.
10. Can the Gamepad be turned off independently of the console? Don't believe so.

Thanks in advance.

Eteric Rice

One thing I really like about the pad is that the fingers under your typical trigger finger can rest under the ridge. It feels nice.

Miiverse seems like a really great feature, too! Hopefully they keep expanding it.

Coins

Banned
Anyone have the hr34 from directv and having trouble pairing it up? I went through every signal type and its a no go.

andthebeatgoeson

Target has a few hard drives on sale. Just got a sea gate 500 gb for $40. Nice pick up as I was looking for the circular to take to best buy for a price match.

The sales are in the circular.

Mudkips

Banned
Why in the holy hell did it take fifteen minutes to install NSMB U?

How do I use Youtube? It tells me to connect to the internet and wait for the update data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom