• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is incredibly stupid. So the only way to get surround sound is to use HDMI to a receiver, but the IR remote controls don't support receivers? WTF Nintendo? Good god is that incredibly stupid.

yeah thats a mess.

the remote functionality would bd awesome if that was supported

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
What is going on. I finally have everything physically set up but when I got to the point of syncing my game pad with the system, this test screen appeared on the game pad screen.

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this? I tried googling this problem but I wasn't able to find anything.

It's funny, this is what the temporary dashboard looked like it seems, before third-party received the real one (well, with other parameters than on this list). I assume the graphical dashboard is tied to certain of those functions displayed DOS-style, it's normally hidden, and you managed to make it appear :p

ugh its sooooooooooooooo slow sometimes navigating the menus , i know its been said a lot but holy shit it took ages just to see my profile in the community section :( cmon Nintendo

yes got my FriskyKillface name :D even though i was rejected first cause of the word "kill" in it but i used two capital i's and it looks like ll's :p haha

1up

Anyone else's Miiverse not intergrating into the other games?

It keeps saying that I need to do the initial setup, but I've done that.

Also, does anyone else's nintendo network button work? I cant get anything on it.

bryehn

Okay, so I may have missed this tidbit in all of the press coverage... Can I use the Wii U's Controller Pro (the $50 one with no screen) as a controller for Wii games at all? The reason I stopped playing Xenoblade was to wait for this controller because I hate more than anything in gaming having that dangling Wii Remote when using the Classic Controller Pro. I really wanted to pick the game back up using this new sweet and dangle-less Pro controller.

No, says so right on the back of the controller box.

vall03

On storage: I've seen some conflicting information on whether SD cards or flash drives can be used to store downloaded Wii U games. I read in one review that a hard drive with its own power supply was the only form of external storage that would work. Disappointing if true; can someone point me toward the full breakdown of what media will store what?

what?! only hard drives with its own power supply works on Wii U?! thats really disappointing...

WHAT?!?

Wait a minute: Does that mean that if I choose to send the video signal via HDMI to my TV, there is no way I can connect the Wii-U to my AV-Receiver without HDMI input?

I can't use the AV Multi Out Port to do that while using HDMI for video?

I hoped that I could at least get Pro-Logic that way, just like with the Gamecube and the Wii before (Component to my TV, cinch to my Denon AVR-1603).

Please tell me that isn't true! :-(

(If it is: Does the Wii U support component cables for video, and would that enable connecting the Wii U to my AV Receiver via multi out?)

There's a port setting option. You can choose HDMI or non HDMI. Choosing one turns off the other. Using HDMI I attempted to run audio from the component cable but my receiver wasn't receiving anything from the Wii U.

Ok this is incredibly stupid. So the only way to get surround sound is to use HDMI to a receiver, but the IR remote controls don't support receivers? WTF Nintendo? Good god is that incredibly stupid.

That's accurate. They support DVRs, but not receivers. Do they not run everything through receivers in Japan? It's stupid oversight imo.

Anyone else's Miiverse not intergrating into the other games?

It keeps saying that I need to do the initial setup, but I've done that.

Also, does anyone else's nintendo network button work? I cant get anything on it.

I've been having numerous network problems with it thus far, including connection error messages when I tried to send messages to friends and do video chat. Got the video chat to work eventually, but seemingly no rhyme or reason to the errors.

Seem to be a lot of software bugs need to be worked out.

Also, on another note, Netflix does not seem to support 5.1. :/
Also, seems like the no receiver support with the gamepad is correct.

farnham

Banned
What is going on. I finally have everything physically set up but when I got to the point of syncing my game pad with the system, this test screen appeared on the game pad screen.

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this? I tried googling this problem but I wasn't able to find anything.

something tells me that we will have homebrew channel very soon on wiiu

if not i will have to buy a japanese wiiu :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Audio forced down HDMI if you wish to use HDMI for video, yet no TV remote support for receivers?

Hahaha, jesus this company is clueless at times.

Def Jukie

Do wii games look any better when playing through HDMI? I know there is no upscaling but I'm wanting to know if they look better at all. I was always disappointed with the Wii's video output through component. The Gamecube's component image was noticeably better so I'm hoping Wii games look better through HDMI.

oatmeal

Banned

It's Nintendo.

Half baked ideas and half executions...on EVERYTHING.

It's wild.

If Sony or MS launched something as poorly as this, they would never recover. But Nintendo is the lovable goof that doesn't do anything right.

Medalion

Banned
Do wii games look any better when playing through HDMI? I know there is no upscaling but I'm wanting to know if they look better at all. I was always disappointed with the Wii's video output through component. The Gamecube's component image was noticeably better so I'm hoping Wii games look better through HDMI.

The short answer is yes.

Blasty

What two games should I buy? I'm having trouble deciding...

Scribblenauts
Batman: Arkham City
Call of Duty BLOPS 2
Assasin's Creed 3

smr00

Banned
So.. It's been what? 18 hours since the console officially came out?

Where is my nintendo land hot beats? come on people!

Phazon

EjJeB.jpg

E0Mw5.jpg

Someone please see what product information says if they have this bug :)

Are they supposed to be functional at launch? Or are they coming later? TVii at least said coming soon.

If you go to the E Shop you'll see it says Coming Soon for the other apps.

Netflix takes forever to finally hit HD when connected to my TV, but looks fine on the Pad. Not sure why I'd ever use the Pad for Netflix though. I must have really good walls in my house because I lost connection to the Wii U when I was less than 10 feet away.

I havent given it the update yet (No need for me yet) and I love it so far. Nintendo Land is fun so far and thats just trying games myself. Gonna get some friends together later and have some more fun. Im holding off on more games til I read plenty of reviews and find good BF deals.

thisis4neogaf

Neo Member
Just wondering if anyone has had issues with the loading screens freezing. I ended zombie-u so I could go to the Wii-U menu and it's just sitting on the Wii U Menu. It's been like this for 5 minutes. It's happened twice.

Wut in the hell?

Thanks for the definitive answers for questions 1, 4, 5 and 7. Looks like I'll have to buy another external drive, but the system update stuff is good news.

It's weird that no one is reporting about whether Wii homebrew can be installed in Wii mode, but I read that homebrew won't be kept over from a system transfer, so that's question 2 half answered.

For question 6, about cross-game chat, I've read that there's a way to send private messages to specific friends on Miiverse, which could serve as a solution, albeit a very weak one. The lack of this feature, and of party chat entirely, is a bafflingly huge oversight.

Thanks for the impressions on eShop download speeds, and though I'd like hard data on them, it's not a pressing issue for me unless Wii ethernet adapters become hard to find.

The answers on screenshots seem contradictory; can anyone confirm whether you can post screenshots to Miiverse, and give an impression on how robust this feature is (whether you can do it at any time)?

I'm still confused about the last question, but this post makes one of the big reasons I was asking moot. Still, does this mean that the gamepad must remain on even if I'm playing a game using only a Wii Remote or Pro controller?

Question 3 is by far the most important of the lot for me. I don't understand how an account system exists, especially with another layer of "users" on top of it, but doesn't allow you to use that account on different pieces of hardware. Isn't that the entire purpose of an account? Seriously, I need some clarifcation on this.

The original questions are here

Okay so now watching something else (netflix on ps3) and the wii u is off, but now for the first time ever the volume will go up on the tv for no reason every few minutes. The only thing that has changed obviously is that making the gamepad the universal remote... It's really annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom