• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coins

Banned
Great, if you set your download to shut off the Wii U when it completes the download, but shut off the Wii Pad screen to conserve battery, it negates the choice to shut off the Wii U upon completion of the download. So many things about the UI need drastic improvements.

Worked on the first code it tried.

Do you have an HR34-700? These are the new boxes that record 5 things at once.

Edit: Nevermind. Had to switch the receiver to IR.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
JJyXOl.jpg

Thank you Best Buy for staying in business long enough for the launch.

what a beautiful...

coca bottle

badum tsss.... !

Hey guys, no matter what I do, my screen is cut off on the sides... There's no settings on my TV that helps, and there's nothing in the console's settings either...

Anyone else had the same problem ? This is pissing me off...

I'm having the same problem.....

Oh, the solution is actually extremely strange. Go to settings and set the resolution to 720p or 1080p.

So by default my monitor had large parts of the screen cutoff at the default resolution of the system (480p). After setting it higher everything fit. Strange? Yes. Illogical? Very much so. Does it work? It did for me

Cross-posted from BLOPS 2 thread: Just reached level 8 in Wii U multiplayer. Impressions:

Wii U Specific:

- First, a bit of unexpected awesomeness. The Wii U pad. No, I'm not playing with it. But I have it on a stand on my coffee table. It displays the entire map (what your pause menu would usually show).

Now, I get an extra HUD, which actually helps. Rather than pausing, I can quickly glance at it to see where all my teammates are and, if there's a UAV, where my enemies are. The difference between glancing and pausing is the difference between getting shot or not. It's pretty cool, but I do have to get used to it being there. I was looking too long at the map and did get shot once.

- All the pointer control options you loved from Blops 1 are still in this.

- The game is moving really fluidly. No slowdowns. 60 fps. No people teleporting around from lag.

- I played 1 game where my pointer aiming was a little jittery. Not sure if it was the game's connection though, or if the problem was on my end (too high camera sensitivity, light coming in, etc.). It was only one game, but it's worth mentioning as I haven't played that much.

- I haven't been doing well, but I don't feel it's lag compensation. I think when I die, it's mostly my fault. Most guns feel weaker in this, so I put four hitmarkers into someone and they didn't die, but I think that's a Blops 2 thing, not a netcode thing. If it's a netcode thing, it feels uniform both when I get hit and when I hit others, so it evens out.

- Adding Friends to your Overall Wii U list is easier than Friend Codes but, at least for the General Wii U Friends' list, you don't get a notification that someone Friended you. You both need to enter in each others' Nintendo IDs, as opposed to one person enters and the other merely confirms. This is contrary to what I read prior, and it's kinda lame.

Overall Blops 2 impressions:

- Way too early for me to say this, but I already like the maps more than MW3. MW3 is a disastrous clutterfuck. This seems to have sightlines that make sense, and even on a small map like the ship, there's some verticality and places you can get campy and relax (a bit) if you want. Even though Treyarch wanted a faster pace, I feel the maps actually have a logic to them.

- That said, it's more fast-paced than Blops, so you have to think on your feet a lot. I've been hipfire sniped on kill cams with an SMG, so Hipfire plays into this HUGE. I hope hipfire gets slightly nerfed.

- GAWD, the UAVs! Early impressions were not kidding. Without Ghost/Assassin, the UAVs are coming in full force. I'm doing my best to shoot them down, but I've been killed a few times with my rockets out. Expect a lot of Pac-Men chasing dots.

- Spawns are decent. They could be better. I've only really spawned in front of someone once. I've been shot in the back a lot, but I'm not sure if that's the spawns, the constant UAVs, or the fast-pace of the game.

- Juries out on matchmaking. I got a bad match up once with highly ranked players (like over 10 :lol) all on one team, and the rest very newbies like myself. It hurt.

- As other console players have noted, I was a 1.8 KDR player on Blops, and now I'm sucking. But my game is very map-awareness-based, so I may just need to learn the maps more.

- And I'll add obligatory bitching about having to unlock stuff. :p But overall, I'm having a lot more fun at this point than I was with MW3.

you have to goto miiverse, click your user profile in the top corner and search the user there.. thats the only way to send a proper friend"request"... if you do it the other way you both have to add eachother.. but if you do it that was it sends a request for approval.

Okay, thanks! I'm so glad I was wrong!

Wiz

Saw a tweet that said the Wii completely ignores Homebrew and related stuff on your Wii when transferring to the Wii U.

CaLe

Oh, the solution is actually extremely strange. Go to settings and set the resolution to 720p or 1080p.

So by default my monitor had large parts of the screen cutoff at the default resolution of the system (480p). After setting it higher everything fit. Strange? Yes. Illogical? Very much so. Does it work? It did for me

Actually my resolution is already at 1080p :\, thanks though

Sigh..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My update only took about 70 min. Everything went smoothly.

The Wii->WiiU transfer animations with the Pikmin is awesome.

Medalion

Banned
Despite the Youtube app doesn't work yet

I can run the Youtube site on the Wii-U browser in 720p on the tv and the gamepad perfectly fine

Hey guys, no matter what I do, my screen is cut off on the sides... There's no settings on my TV that helps, and there's nothing in the console's settings either...

I was able to adjust the screen size from the shop menu. There should be an option there somewhere.

Veitsev

Seriously you people need to buy scribblenauts. I spawned Cthulu and he began attacking me so I gave myself an SMG to fight Cthulu and it wasn't working fast enough. I then spawned God and gave him my SMG and he killed Cthulu and me.

Oh and I was in a museum and I spawned Zombie Abraham Lincoln and I wasn't paying attention too much and he quickly turned everyone in the museum undead. The curator lady didn't like that and started running in fear. Oh and one of the zombies killed my Yoshi. :(

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
ANNNND I'M BACK!!

:) LOVE LOVE LOVE NEW CONSOLE LAUNCHES! Woo!

Anyhoo, hit up TRU for the 40% off deal on games; but I just didn't know what else I wanted. So I only picked up NSMBU and ZombiU for the time being, and I might hit the store again when I hear/see more impressions of other titles. Also, that meant there was no reason to buy a Pro Controller yet. So ~$150 saved for now.

SEXY PICTURES TIME:

8197486558_1a669632ab_c.jpg

8196371791_1f7d680436_c.jpg

8196356235_552301ebc1_c.jpg

8196389833_c5b0a3d880_c.jpg

8196382049_1d8646b79c_c.jpg

8197468804_614cacabed_c.jpg

8196362781_806a2f630c_c.jpg

Beautiful pictures, are you open to create a food blog with me with stylized sidelong images of french delicacies ? :D

mflQh.jpg

Picked up my preorder today and felt buyers remorse even before I reached the car. This is the least enthusiastic I've been for a console launch ever. I want to play Platinum's games, so a Wii U is in my future, but right now nothing on the platform interests me. Maybe I should have waited for Bayonetta 2...or worse yet, maybe I'm getting too old for this... :(

jackal27

Banned
I've got a question, I know that the Wii U won't upscale Wii games. But does HDMI make Wii games look any clearer when compared to component? Improved colors, less blurry or anything? I would imagine so, what do you guys think?

TheChits

Nano Assault just downloaded in about 3 minutes and I have a pretty poor connection. The first system update took me like an hour and a half but things seem to be getting faster

Medalion

Banned
I've got a question, I know that the Wii U won't upscale Wii games. But does HDMI make Wii games look any clearer when compared to component? Improved colors, less blurry or anything? I would imagine so, what do you guys think?

From my quick bout with 2 games in Wii mode

I would say... yes, but it's not gonna look like magically HD or anything

jackal27

Banned
From my quick bout with 2 games in Wii mode

I would say... yes, but it's not gonna look like magically HD or anything

Yeah, I'm not expecting that. But boy oh boy does my Wii look blurry on my HDTV. I was just wondering if HDMI helped out at all. Somebody needs to do some comparison screenshots.

Yes, I played some Xenoblade today and it looked nicer than it did on the OG Wii. Colors looked a bit sharper, textures looked a bit less blurry. Not dolphin quality upgrade, but it was noticibly nicer imo. And the audio coming through multichannel sounds better than it ever did on Wii.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah, I'm not expecting that. But boy oh boy does my Wii look blurry on my HDTV. I was just wondering if HDMI helped out at all. Somebody needs to do some comparison screenshots.

Basically when you were using the wii, your tv would tell you it was in 480p

When doing through the Wii-U, your tv may still say you are in 1080p mode or whatever, but the image being streamed from the Wii-U is clearly 480p, so it will be scaled by your tv, and not the system

It should still look better... less... jaggies to a certain degree

Currently enjoying my Wii U by watching the Partridge Family on TV while it updates.

I did make sure to play some games first though. Nintendo Land looks amazing and ZombiU reminded me of Ravenholm.

VanWinkle

They had a basic set at toys r us. Wasn't really planning on getting one of these at least not yet - but here we are lol. I'm excited!

Do you remember where it was ? I can't find it

In the shop app go to the menu icon on the left. After that click on Settings/Other. From there scroll down until you see Screen Size. Adjust it until it's right.

I don't know if this is just for the shop app or not.

mflQh.jpg

Picked up my preorder today and felt buyers remorse even before I reached the car. This is the least enthusiastic I've been for a console launch ever. I want to play Platinum's games, so a Wii U is in my future, but right now nothing on the platform interests me. Maybe I should have waited for Bayonetta 2...or worse yet, maybe I'm getting too old for this... :(
Sell it, get it again when something you actually want comes along. You'll make a Nintendo fan happy in the process.

Kerub

Banned
ANNNND I'M BACK!!

:) LOVE LOVE LOVE NEW CONSOLE LAUNCHES! Woo!

Anyhoo, hit up TRU for the 40% off deal on games; but I just didn't know what else I wanted. So I only picked up NSMBU and ZombiU for the time being, and I might hit the store again when I hear/see more impressions of other titles. Also, that meant there was no reason to buy a Pro Controller yet. So ~$150 saved for now.

SEXY PICTURES TIME:

*pics*

I'm drooling! ;_;

jackal27

Banned
Yes, I played some Xenoblade today and it looked nicer than it did on the OG Wii. Colors looked a bit sharper, textures looked a bit less blurry. Not dolphin quality upgrade, but it was noticibly nicer imo. And the audio coming through multichannel sounds better than it ever did on Wii.

Very cool to hear. That right there is the biggest selling point to me at the moment.

I really wish I wanted a Wii U, but there is literally NOTHING that I want on this console yet. At least when the 3DS came out, I was really pumped to play Street Fighter 4 on the go and also for Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. I literally could not care less about the games in the Wii U's launch line-up... Ugh...

Chindogg

Your TV is overscanning your source. There should be an option on your TV under resolution to "Direct Source" or something similar. Your TV is forcing the resolution as 1080p, cutting off the edges. Happens with almost all TVs and you just need to calibrate it correctly.

Okay, so I may have missed this tidbit in all of the press coverage... Can I use the Wii U's Controller Pro (the $50 one with no screen) as a controller for Wii games at all? The reason I stopped playing Xenoblade was to wait for this controller because I hate more than anything in gaming having that dangling Wii Remote when using the Classic Controller Pro. I really wanted to pick the game back up using this new sweet and dangle-less Pro controller.

Looks like you can't partition a drive for uses outside of the Wii U. I took a 1TB Fantom Drive (an externally powered 3.5" with an enclosure basically) and created 4 partitions. The Wii U itself will detect the drive and ask if you want to format it and that's basically it. When I went to the data management it just showed the U's flash memory and the 930 or so GBs for the other drive in a single partition.

I turned off the drive with the U on and the system basically crashes. The on screen message asked me to turn off the system but after holding the power button for several seconds nothing happened (though I was able to turn the pad off). I just unplugged it. I took the drive to my PC to see if i can shrink the volume but Windows disk management had no options for me. I haven't tried using any disk programs with it. I plugged it back in the U while it was on and a screen appeared asking to only plug in/out a powered HDD while the system was off. I didn't actually have to turn the system off as the OS just reset itself and it detected the drive afterwards. I don't know what happens during running applications.

I purchased NSMB U off the eshop and it didn't ask me where to download. It just said it would start automatically. I exited out of the eshop and in the download manager it said it was being downloaded to the USB Storage device. I popped in NintendoLand while it was downloading and was prompted to download the update for that. I decided to skip it and it put the update below NSMB U in the queue. The downloads were still going.

Ok this is incredibly stupid. So the only way to get surround sound is to use HDMI to a receiver, but the IR remote controls don't support receivers? WTF Nintendo? Good god is that incredibly stupid.

mflQh.jpg

/signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom