• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exeunt

A few short weeks ago, I told myself that I would not buy a shoddy (?) port of a year-old game for $59.99. Now I have 19 gigs of Batman downloading as I head off to bed. I'm sorry, guys—I'm part of the problem.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sonic Racing is pretty good, reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing which is a good thing, but boy does it look hideous on the game pad.

I just played the 360 demo, but I got a really good impression from it. Might be the first racing game I want to buy in years.

Its the best kart racer ever, yeah i said that what of it mario kart.

vg2VW.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
it is indeed - please dogpile me accordingly with friend requests :)

Thoughts after a very short introduction :

short version : i think i had the experience nintendo expected people to have! lol.

- updates were all done and complete in 20 minutes - i was expecting the X hour horror fest with multiple freezes and server drops, but nope. Smooth - 20 minutes is still , i guess, relatively slow but not the horror story i'd read online

- even the Remote Control set up was done in -two- steps - all up and running. Perfect.

- Miiverse is pretty spectacular and , jesus, you fuckers can draw!

- Graphically everything does look very nice and clean, you can see the GPU has something about it

- two hard locks - both in Youtube of all places. A little odd.

- really like the pad - was nice to sit lying in bed this morning and be able to add friends whilst my kid slept.

- Kid absolutely adored Nintendoland (and ultimately Jonnyram's experience with his kid sold me on the unit) - he sat loving the Yoshi fruit game and loved F-zero

- not played MH and Mario yet - maybe tonight.

- not installed yet but already have a mini-"chub on" for Karaoke :)

I sold off a huge chunk of collection and has some spare cash - Jonnyram and a few others had mentioned how much fun the games were with kids and i still have to look after our one kid whilst we await our second one, so i thought "ah sod it". So selling all my US Famicom games pretty much paid for the machine + 2 games + controller.

So - in my warped "budget meff" head this all made sense ! ;)

I'm also going to be wiping out the rest of the collection so that should , theoretically, net me a large buffer of cash and i -still- have a job that pays more than enough. So ... yeah.

Though my time playing it is likely to be limited.

No regrets to be honest, in fact, i'm much more impressed than i expected to be - and now i'm more baffled by nintendo not demoing this stuff during the launch run up (or even now) - it's impossible to get what the hook to the machine is from videos, you need it in your hands to have the "OHHHH!!!" moments.

oh and in terms of range - here's my findings :

Machine is located on second floor of a pretty large japanese house

1) 2nd floor toilet - dump gaming confirmed, can curl off and play
2) 1st floor - fine , except in the stairwell
3) 3rd floor - fiine, except in the stairwell
4) rooftop - fine, except in the stairwell
5) 1st floor toilet - dump gaming DENIED
6) "other side" of the house - the house is two houses joined - untested. We can stream from our media server throughout both houses, but i don't expect to be able to remote game across the two locations

Praise the lord for Japanese paper houses!

That's good to know on all of the counts. While still not really acceptable, I think Nintendo were gearing up for the Japanese launch a bit more than the US or UK ones and probably didn't have all the server infrastructure up in time for the rest of us.

Anyway, interesting to read your experiences with the console, and darn you guys having such range with the Gamepad over there too!

Be sure to post your experiences of Mario and MH. I think once people get over the whole "lol, copy/pasted assets" rubbish they realise the effort Nintendo made in making the gameplay actually good but I'm interested in what you think about it.

Friend request sent too, no prizes for guessing which NNID I am.

My Wii U signal doesn't reach my downstairs toilet either, but works well in upstairs lobby and bedrooms. It's probably easier for signal to pass just the floor and a thin wall than furniture and shelves that are in living room. And now that I think of it, I actually have a metal DVD cabinet against the wall between my toilet and my living room. Maybe I could increase the range by moving the console from under the TV to the top of my front speaker that's next to the tv, but seems silly to do that just so I could play or watch netflix in the loo :)

And feel free to add me, NNID SpoonyB

I have Sonic Racing, definitely try the demo - it's worth buying. The layout of the stages in single player, and variety they wrench out of each world is great... the multiplayer is great, the battle mode is up to a standard that's sadly been missing in recent Mario Karts, the boat and flight sections give it a definite MK7 feel, but actually more pleasing. I agree with Sumo Digital that it'd be great to see Nintendo bring other franchises into a Mario Kart game... I'd not be against a Mario & Nintendo All Stars Racing game

Looking forward to getting dat Rayman demo when I get home from work!

beje

Banned
Is it me or Nintendo servers are doing better? managed to download the Rayman demo in 15 mins

They probably noticed all the traffic was being redirected to Japan and corrected it. Or maybe Akamai noticed the splurge in demand and added new servers. Can someone able of sniffing the traffic confirm it?

Edit: another option is that they're using the same model as in the Akamai NetSession in PC and distributing stuff P2P, therefore working much faster now.

Pikma

Banned
Wow, correction: it took 11 minutes, in comparison my PS3 downloads 500mbs in ~24 mins, it's not that shitty after all :p
My NNID is Skillzilla81.

I have no friends. :(

Please fix this this?

Please?
I tried to, but I wasn't able to send you the request, you need to open the Friends List app for the first time, so you can do a one-time setup, people will be able to add you after that.

Add me after doing it:

NNID: PikmaGAF

If anyone else wants to add me, they're welcome too. :)
It would actually help, I need 10 friends to get to the limit, I'm tired of strangers trying to add me, I've had some awful experiences already -_-

NickMitch

About the youtube thing, it seems on miiverse someone has managed to get youtube videos working on the browser.

basically in the address bar delete the watch?v= part and add /embed/ instead so the link is like http://www.youtube.com/embed/K4pJnV5OxPI instead of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4pJnV5OxPI and then it works.

Obviously if the uploader has disabled embedding then it won't work but its something until google fixes this shit.

yeah it works...good find

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
okay - the Joysound Karaoke app takes a huge dump on the PS3 version and, yeah, Killer app.

Signed up for 3 months already.

I want to cry right about now.. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 failed to install after a 12 hour download - error code 105-3155

and here we go again. : [

TKkv0l.jpg

Skilletor

I don't think you have it set to accept friend request yet :-(

Edit: Yep...it downloaded pretty fast, and installed quickly as well.

Wow, correction: it took 11 minutes, in comparison my PS3 downloads 500mbs in ~24 mins, it's not that shitty after all :p
I tried to, but I wasn't able to send you the request, you need to open the Friends List app for the first time, so you can do a one-time setup, people will be able to add you after that.

Add me after doing it:

NNID: PikmaGAF

If anyone else wants to add me, they're welcome too. :)
It would actually help, I need 10 friends to get to the limit, I'm tired of strangers trying to add me, I've had some awful experiences already -_-

lol...this console. hahahahaha

I'll check it out tomorrow. lol

Does this kind of thing happen often?

It shouldn't really happen tbh... I've downloaded 3 retail games, and for all of them I was able to turn the console off, come back later, turn it on and resume downloading from where I left off... all in the background, while playing other games, if necessary.

Perhaps its some kind of CRC failure, which could be caused by lost packets or by some hardware failure (router or Wii U). A while back I had a VirginMedia branded superhub that caused such problems with downloads, until they released a firmware upgrade for it.

If I were getting errors of this kind, I'd try disabling my firewall while the download takes place or putting the Wii U outside of the firewall, and I'd try bypassing the router (either by using another router or using a LAN adapter)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
what makes it better?

the critical difference is the interface - the Sony one is quite slick -looking- but navigation is a pain.

The WiiU pad mimics the operation of a regular Japanese Karaoke experience (most of which use a pad not too dissimilar to the Wii u and have for many years) and that -really- sends it over the edge: if people were to visit and we wanted to do some karaoke we then have a situation where we can hand them the pad and they would know, instinctively, what to do to get their song on - that wasn't really possible with the PS3 version.

plus the general presentation is much nicer, the sound quality is better, it's just much closer to the Karaoke experience than the PS3 version (which is still a great app)

Does this kind of thing happen often?

The first time for me, had no issues on download/install for NSMB U, Nintendo Land and the various system updates.

I'm not surprised that an error like this would pop up, but with download speeds being pathetically slow as they are this is inexcusable. = /

Koren

Perhaps its some kind of CRC failure, which could be caused by lost packets or by some hardware failure (router or Wii U).
A lost packet shouldn't corrupt the file (and thus the CRC). In fact, there's sometimes hundreds of lots packets and the file at the end is fine. TCP and most others protocols handle this fine.

A corrupted file (and a bad CRC) means a part of the data inside the file are not the right ones. Since there's probably a CRC in the packets, it's probably a software failure somewhere, and a strange one... Or a faulty memory. That being said, even if the file has a bad CRC, they could check the CRC of parts and redownload only the bad part, not the whole file...

If the installation failed, I'd rather think there was a problem during the installation, but the installation itself is deleting the downloaded file on the fly, so the error is not recoverable (which is bad) or the system can't retry the installation, even if the file is still available (which is stupid)

A few short weeks ago, I told myself that I would not buy a shoddy (?) port of a year-old game for $59.99. Now I have 19 gigs of Batman downloading as I head off to bed. I'm sorry, guys—I'm part of the problem.

I hope we get some download numbers. I think some that believe software sales are low will be surprised by the amount of titles downloaded. It's seriously convenient and if the downloadable numbers are decent I can see the eShop being pretty successful. Now Nintendo needs to clarify a few things in regards to accounts and I'd go almost exclusively digital...

Effect

Curious as to what is going to be added to the eShop today. Anyone know what time Nintendo's eShop press release usually comes out?

luffeN

Curiuos as to what is going to be added to the eShop today. Anyone know what time Nintendo's eShop press release usually comes out?

The one for Europe already came out on Tuesday.

Wii U

- Rayman Legends Demo (Preis: kostenlos)

Nintendo 3DS

- Metroid (Preis: bis 20. Dezember 3,49 Euro statt 4,99 Euro)

- Hydroventure: Spin Cycle (Preis: 9,99 Euro)

- CRIMSON SHROUD (Preis: 7,99 Euro)

- Wizard Defenders (Preis: 1,99 Euro)

Nintendo DS

- Wizard Defenders (Preis: 200 DSi Points)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom