• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've been having a blast with the system all day today. Don't have any other games other than NintendoLand but I'm defiantly gonna pick up ZombiU and NSMBU very soon.

If anyone want's to add me my NNID is Noobasuar. Let me know if you add me and I'll add you!

I can't send you a friend request - you need to open the friends list once to click through Oks, then people can send you invites directly through Miiverse. PM'd my NNiD anyway.

I saw the online population for multiplayer up to 2000+ this morning.

That's great to hear then. I'm mostly on in the evening EST.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The favorite exclusive seems to be Nano Assault Neo, it's made by Shin'en. Chasing Aurora and Little Inferno seem really underwhelming to me. Mighty Switch Force might be my favorite, though it's already on the 3DS and not technically exclusive. if you haven't played that, it's a good pick up.

Yeah, I already have MSF on 3DS. I might check out Nano Assault, though. Thanks.

So, just got BO2 as an Xmas gift. Wondering if
I should go for it or just return it and get something else (AC3?). I'm just skeptical of the online community from the short anecdotes I've heard.

I was in this same spot and decided to keep Blops2. Played it on the Gamepad. No regrets. :)

Nilaul

on the main wii u menu, click on your mii on the top left corner of the game pad and click on "change user mii" it'll take you to a screen that'll let you edit your mii.

It's a little backwards you cant do it from the mii maker, it's really tough to find. plus, "change mii" doesnt make i clear that that's where you'd go to edit your guy

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Well, it's my birthday now (26th December). I just logged on to MiiVerse to see all the other Miis clapping me and confetti falling down. Different music too.

Nice touch, Nintendo!

Funny story, so my friends family (who're pretty well off) all got a Wii U for Christmas. I think their mom thought it was a tablet, so she got one for each kid.

To my understanding they have a total of 5 Premium systems, and it was an awkward phone call when I had to explain that all the current games only support a single tablet.

Luckily, they haven't opened them all yet so I'm willing to guess they'll return at least 3 of them.

noobasuar

Banned
Well finally got the friends list thing figured out and started adding people.

Is the white light on the system itself supposed to stay on even after turning of the wii U? I could see that annoying me and making me take out the disc every time I finish playing.

Apenheul

The favorite exclusive seems to be Nano Assault Neo, it's made by Shin'en. Chasing Aurora and Little Inferno seem really underwhelming to me. Mighty Switch Force might be my favorite, though it's already on the 3DS and not technically exclusive. if you haven't played that, it's a good pick up.

Little Inferno is one of my favorite games released this year, I can only imagine it being underwhelming to some people in terms of length considering its price. This article sold the game to me. It's a good example of a procedural rhetoric game, it makes an argument about modern consumerism
with not-so-subtle jabs at Apple's app-store model

Well finally got the friends list thing figured out and started adding people.

Is the white light on the system itself supposed to stay on even after turning of the wii U? I could see that annoying me and making me take out the disc every time I finish playing.
I imagine that is there to prevent someone from inserting a second disc by accident. I agree that it is a little annoying, though.

zroid

Banned
Little Inferno is one of my favorite games released this year, I can only imagine it being underwhelming to some people in terms of length considering its price. This article sold the game to me. It's a good example of a procedural rhetoric game, it makes an argument about modern consumerism
with not-so-subtle jabs at Apple's app-store model

Little Inferno's also on PC though :)

partime

So why doesn't the new pro controller work with NSMBU? The fact that it works with old wii controllers instead is unimaginable for my little brain.

So why doesn't the new pro controller work with NSMBU? The fact that it works with old wii controllers instead is unimaginable for my little brain.
The game requires motion controls for like a grand total of two obstacles in the game. They didn't do enough with the motion control to make it understandable.

NeoRausch

because of waggle to spin... which makes no sense at all, because they mapped that to a button when you play with the gamepad. Nintendo Magic, I guess.

edit:
and I guess it should be the prime example of: Hey, you can use your old Wii controllers with your new machine!

netBuff

Because it would be an expensive addition just to make the controller usable for Mario.

There's no way a tilt sensor is in any way an "expensive" addition - let's not forget that this controller is more costly than a DualShock. It probably would cost a few cents extra in manufacturing.

Nintendo consciously developed the Pro Controller for those who did not want to use any form of motion control. Therefore, the Pro Controller is not capable of any motion control whatsoever.

In that case, Nintendo's motives were absurd.

I think it's more a facet of the fact that NSMBU was probably developed pretty late and, therefore, rushed - the other controller options are equally strange, with the GamePad being unavailable for regular Co-op gameplay.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Bojanglez said:
I think mine might be broken already, got up early and opened it, installed the software update and everything was fine. I played NSMBU for a good hour and it was fine, then I switched it off for a while and now whenever I go to launch an app from the main menu the main unit switches itself off and the controller tells me connection has been lost (which is because the unit is powered off I suppose), anyone else had similar issues?
I have gotten to the bottom of it, I had inserted an sd card and this made the Wii u spazz out, seriously there was no error message it just crashed every time I tried to launch anything, so glad I figured it out, I love this console now, just want a Zelda and a Mario Kart

vgamer1

I have gotten to the bottom of it, I had inserted an sd card and this made the Wii u spazz out, seriously there was no error message it just crashed every time I tried to launch anything, so glad I figured it out, I love this console now, just want a Zelda and a Mario Kart

Get sonic! Such a good racer.

BD1

Banned
There's no way a tilt sensor is in any way an "expensive" addition - let's not forget that this controller is more costly than a DualShock. It probably would cost a few cents extra in manufacturing.

Well, when it comes to manufacturing, a "few cents" adds up and can kill your profitability.

The more baffling decision on the Pro Controller is the lack of port for a headset. What the hell were they thinking?

farnham

Banned
Funny story, so my friends family (who're pretty well off) all got a Wii U for Christmas. I think their mom thought it was a tablet, so she got one for each kid.

To my understanding they have a total of 5 Premium systems, and it was an awkward phone call when I had to explain that all the current games only support a single tablet.

Luckily, they haven't opened them all yet so I'm willing to guess they'll return at least 3 of them.
Well maybe you can convince her to get a japanese wiiu.. However you will have to explain why the gamepads are region locked if there are wiiu games with two gamepads

SmithnCo

I was able to update it, it actually only took about an hour. Then I played a little Nano Assault Neo. Being able to play on the pad while people are doing something else with the TV is quite cool.

BowieZ

Banned
I hope they patch NSMBU with not only the ability to play co-op with the GamePad (or eventually more than one), but to be able to play co-op with two remotes using only the GamePad as a screen and hear the music (not just SFX).

Off TV is great and all but so far it's very single player biased.

Revven

People were not kidding when they said this browser is probably the best console browser. Holy shit, I'm watching a live stream on my TV right now because of it! I'm amazed right now.

Edit: Oh... twitch doesn't work but youtube streams do... man I hope twitch kicks it into high gear to get it working on Wii U.

Should I worry that this update has stopped a bunch and every time I re-try it picks up where i left off. I don't want a corrupt update. Did it error out for a lot of people?

Played Wii U with the family pretty much all day; I already had mine but today my kid brother got his. The updates didn't seem to take any longer than when I got mine a couple of weeks ago, looks like Nintendo was on the ball & purchased additional bandwidth for today.

Nintendo Land was fun, but 5 player Mario was definitely the biggest hit. It actually makes the game a lot easier when you have 5 people willing to coordinate, with somebody who's good with boost on the pad. We got through about the first 12-15 stages before moving on to Tekken - mushroom mode with the goofy Mario costumes was a lot of fun too.

JavyOO7

I hope if whenever Nintendo manages to migrate VC and WiiWare stuff to eshop that it gives much needed life to both. I'm fairly certain I missed some spectacular titles for WiiWare.

I bought Trine2, Chasing Aurora, and Little Inferno because they were on sale in NA. I have no idea what to expect with CA, the only thing I know is that they were the same people who made And yet it moves...

ReconPeon

Does anyone elses gamepad have noisey sticks? My left one in particular makes an audible click when i angle it upwards. It seems like it could be loose or something. I may be being overly particular, but i'm always like this with new products.

No, this is correct, and also one of the big reasons I'm not doing the system transfer.\

Brawl's save is system locked. The transfer copies it to the Wii U, but then it's locked there.

This is massively annoying. :/ I was definitely going to transfer my stuff until I just found out about this... there's no way I would ever play Brawl again if it's not with the Gamecube controller.

guek

Banned
picked up mighty switch force with the $10 I got from the ddp. neat little game, though i have a suspicion there wont be enough content to leave me satisfied. still, having fun with what i've played so far :)

I can totally see why it'd work better as a portable game though

flattie

Does anyone elses gamepad have noisey sticks? My left one in particular makes an audible click when i angle it upwards. It seems like it could be loose or something. I may be being overly particular, but i'm always like this with new products.

Mine does that too. The left stick has a light click when moved slightly north of its resting point. I actually find it quite annoying, but will live with it. I've read that others have had this problem too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom