• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dex

How robust is Nintendo Land as a single player experience? I rarely get the chance to play multiplayer anymore.

You can play all the attractions solo except the 3 or 4 competitive multiplayer ones. About half of the total attractions are solo only.

So.. this is my first day with the system. The internet browser is alot faster than I expected. I'm generally impressed so far.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how fast the browser is. In fact, everything at the OS level is surprisingly quick and snappy, except for the actual loading times to get into an app...

Majmun

I had bought two U's for family members (two cousins of mine) for Xmas present, and they loved it. My younger cousin said "Cooooooool, a new Wii controler" lol. My other cousin knew what it was. He's a big Nintendo fan.

And I didn't unpack the U's to do the update. I hope the download didn't last long :p

Does anyone elses gamepad have noisey sticks? My left one in particular makes an audible click when i angle it upwards. It seems like it could be loose or something. I may be being overly particular, but i'm always like this with new products.

Oh man i've had mine for three weeks and never noticed the noisy sticks till you said that! Thanks.

Javier

Does anyone elses gamepad have noisey sticks? My left one in particular makes an audible click when i angle it upwards. It seems like it could be loose or something. I may be being overly particular, but i'm always like this with new products.

Mine does that too. The left stick has a light click when moved slightly north of its resting point. I actually find it quite annoying, but will live with it. I've read that others have had this problem too.

Oh man i've had mine for three weeks and never noticed the noisy sticks till you said that! Thanks.
You guys sure you're not actually clicking the stick? Both analogs on the gamepad are intentionally clickable, as it counts as an added button press.

Do I have to sign up for the digital deluxe program? I got the Deluxe Wii U from my mother in law and set it up at her house; I feel like I left some paperwork over there. I bought Trine and NSMB U on the eShop when I got home but didn't see any anything about the deluxe points.

ReconPeon

You guys sure you're not actually clicking the stick? Both analogs on the gamepad are intentionally clickable, as it counts as an added button press.

No, it's almost like a double click. If you press it down lightly it moves down slightly and then a little more pressure is the actual click that is supposed to happen.

I guess it's no big deal if other people have it. I mean it still works fine. My Xbox controller has it too, but it isn't nearly as noisy.

zroid

Banned
Do I have to sign up for the digital deluxe program? I got the Deluxe Wii U from my mother in law and set it up at her house; I feel like I left some paperwork over there. I bought Trine and NSMB U on the eShop when I got home but didn't see any anything about the deluxe points.

it's automatic when you register youtr NNID; the only thing to note is it doesn't "activate" until you make your first eShop transaction so you won't be able to track your points on the web till then.

edit: this is the site http://ddp.nintendo.com/

Tim-E

Since this thread is much more active I'll post this here:

Two times while trying to download Assassin's Creed III to my external hard drive it stops sometime during it and says that the USB storage device has been removed when it hasn't. I'm using the 1 GB Toshiba drive listed on Nintendo's website. It's power cable is connected properly, as is the USB connector. I'm trying it in a different USB port because I really can't think of anything else to try. I transferred a previously purchased ZombiU from the internal to the external drive and it works just fine, but this is bothering me.

Any ideas?

farnham

Banned
Single player - Zelda good

Metroid good

F-Zero good

Pikmin great

Ninja great

Yoshi good

Octopus Poor

DK Awesome
I think dk, pikmin and metroid are the besr.. Yoshi and fzero are very good too unlike initial impressions.. Octopus feels like space channel 5 in a weird way

Tiu Neo

Oh? I'm guessing I'll have to make another account with Canadian country settings?

Yep, I did that. You'll have to change your system country to buy anything, but I heard people saying you can use your original account and country to play, just change it to buy.

I use my canadian account for everything, anyway.

Raoh

What non standard nintendo core games that are exclusive to the Wii U coming out in 2013?

No zelda/mario/metroid/pokeman. No ports even if its wii u gamepad enhanced.

I'm talking ZombiU like games for the Wii U.

I'd like to pick up another game but I don't want the mario stuff or games I can play on pc/ps3.

I was almost tempted to pick up batman arkham city (which I actually found boring) and call of duty (a series I'm not a fan of) as I had run out of options.

ZombiU will hold me down well for a while I think but I'd like to see at least one or two more games that are not Nintendo's standard lineup.

What non standard nintendo core games that are exclusive to the Wii U coming out in 2013?

No zelda/mario/metroid/pokeman. No ports even if its wii u gamepad enhanced.

I'm talking ZombiU like games for the Wii U.

I'd like to pick up another game but I don't want the mario stuff or games I can play on pc/ps3.

I was almost tempted to pick up batman arkham city (which I actually found boring) and call of duty (a series I'm not a fan of) as I had run out of options.

ZombiU will hold me down well for a while I think but I'd like to see at least one or two more games that are not Nintendo's standard lineup.

Lego City Undercover, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, etc...

My mother got me the WiiU Deluxe for Xmas!! Im an 360 gamer but im pretty excited for this, Mario in HD! My fiancee got me Mario and a Wiimote. I havent set it up yet but I will tonight after work. I need to pick up a screen protector today, is this one ok or can any of u recommend a good one? I saw a few of them in stock at Walmart Xmas eve, hopefully they still are.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wii-U-Clean-and-Protect-Kit/22257746?t=1&

or

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-write-protect/103819

Yep, I did that. You'll have to change your system country to buy anything, but I heard people saying you can use your original account and country to play, just change it to buy.

I use my canadian account for everything, anyway.

Interesting. I'll try it out and report back. :)

depward

My mother got me the WiiU Deluxe for Xmas!! Im an 360 gamer but im pretty excited for this, Mario in HD! My fiancee got me Mario and a Wiimote. I havent set it up yet but I will tonight after work. I need to pick up a screen protector today, is this one ok or can any of u recommend a good one? I saw a few of them in stock at Walmart Xmas eve, hopefully they still are.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wii-U-Clean-and-Protect-Kit/22257746?t=1&

I'd say skip a screen protector unless you're really rough with your electronics. My pad isn't something that I've abused in the slightest and I'd say you usually don't use a stylus with it either, which makes the scratching factor pretty low.

I'd say skip a screen protector unless you're really rough with your electronics. My pad isn't something that I've abused in the slightest and I'd say you usually don't use a stylus with it either, which makes the scratching factor pretty low.

really? ive heard people say they scratched it pretty easy.

Raoh

What is Little Inferno even about? I've watched some vids on YouTube and I don't understand what you actually do in it.

It looked like LittleBigPlanet Wii U edition when I first saw it myself.

tumblr_mfk53jUDWc1r230nyo1_400.gif

tumblr_lp2m1nO1HT1qc7sw0o1_500.gif

Apenheul

What is Little Inferno even about? I've watched some vids on YouTube and I don't understand what you actually do in it.

You buy items from a catalogue and burn them to earn money to buy more items. It's a bit of a sandbox game in the sense that you can play the game however you like, there's no time limit or specific requirements you have to meet other than burning every possible item. Burning certain item combinations reward you with postage stamps that you can use to speed up the delivery process when buying items and they function somewhat like achievements because the game tracks which item combinations you've burned. You can discover this combination by trial-and-error or deduce it from the 'achievement'-title, for example, the ice-coffee combo is triggered when you burn ice cubes and coffee. There are exactly 100 different combos.

Setting items on fire and watching them burn is somewhat addictive, even though it serves no other point than to be able to buy more items to set on fire. It's an example of procedural rhetoric, the game makes an argument about modern consumerism (and as I pointed out in an earlier post) with not so subtle jabs at
the app-store model
. It's a pretty short game and I completed it in one sitting, but I had a great time for the money I could've spent on watching a movie at the cinema.

Looks like I might be putting my chips in. That Best Buy deal puts the price range just at the limit at what I'd be able/willing to spend on a new console. Plus, my house party (urgh, yegods, 44 people on a 600sqft floor, couldn't even move around at some points!) last weekend ended up involving a fair amount of local multiplayer gaming (it helped that the DJ snuck 8-bit tunes into his beats), which makes me thing that Nintendo Land and NSMBU may get some action in the future beyond my solitary play.

Most of the advantages offered by the Deluxe I don't find particularly compelling, so I have no problem going white. I would have liked a little more wiggle room on the internal flash, but I think I'll survive.

I cant find the post but isnt Little Inferno on sale for $10? If so for how long? I just got my WiiU but its not set up yet, hopefully doing it tonight or tomorrow.

Buy the HORI screenprotector. Very easy to put in on the gamepad and awesome quality...You can't tell it's on the gamepad.

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-write-protect/103819

I think I can only get the Hori one online so ill go with this for now only because they have it in stock and i can pick it up today plus it has 2 so I have a back up if I mess up on the first one. I want to check out the Wii tonight but I wont play till I have a screen protector so if this one sucks ill order the Hori one.

Mario and Nintendo Land should hold me over for a while, only other game I want soon is Sonic Racing and another Wii remote.

Just hooked up my new 50" boxing day LED Bravia. This prompted me to try the youtube app for the first time - I'm surprised how good it looked! This is easily the best youtube viewing experience I've had, they did a good job setting up the streaming configuration.

NeoRausch

Buy the HORI screenprotector. Very easy to put in on the gamepad and awesome quality...You can't tell it's on the gamepad.

while all that is true, I'd say that the Hori screen protector sucks balls this time around.
it's just to email for the screen. the is a gap on my screen now. about 3-4 millimeter. and it sucks when you get there with the stylus and all the dirt that gathers there....
first time I'm disappointed by a HORI screen protector.

Tunic

I finally got around to playing the Rayman Legends demo and wow, my mind was seriously blown! I have never played the series before so I wasn't too sure what to expect. I kept replaying all the levels with different characters and the Castle Rock level literally made my jaw drop! I am hoping for more levels like that in the full game. I will definitely get the game day one.

I was wondering though as I haven't tried it but can you play local multiplayer now in the Rayman Legends demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom