• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Retail Games Arriving Early

Effect

I don't think I'm getting any of my games from NewEgg before the system comes out. ZombiU is suppose to be out tomorrow but all stores have the 18th listed. Not going to cancel since I'm getting it and Black Ops 2 for $15 off. Going have to cancel my 3rd game with them and buy it in store when I get my system just so I have something to play the night I get home other then Nintendo Land. That is if no order ships by tomorrow from them.

Ugh, that giant recycle logo inside the case is an epic eyesore and makes the inner cover look like a cheap piece of garbage. Japan and Europe will probably get normal 3DS style inlays with sweet reversible cover art, the geniuses in Redmond and NY give us something that looks like it needs to be tossed in a metal slot next to a rental shop or a grocery store. Quality job as always, NOA!

ElRenoRaven

I don't think I'm getting any of my games from NewEgg before the system comes out. ZombiU is suppose to be out tomorrow but all stores have the 18th listed. Not going to cancel since I'm getting two games with $15 off. Going have to cancel my 3rd game with them and buy it in store when I get my system just so I have something to play the night I get home other then Nintendo Land. That is if is no order ships by tomorrow.

Yea I wouldn't plan on it. I know I took advantage of the deal but if I get them before the 20th I'm a happy camper. It's not like I'm going to get much play time on anything till the weekend after anyway.

antonz

I don't think I'm getting any of my games from NewEgg before the system comes out. ZombiU is suppose to be out tomorrow but all stores have the 18th listed. Not going to cancel since I'm getting it and Black Ops 2 for $15 off. Going have to cancel my 3rd game with them and buy it in store when I get my system just so I have something to play the night I get home other then Nintendo Land. That is if no order ships by tomorrow from them.

I think Ubisoft for some reason changed street date on ZombiU. It was the 13th then all of a sudden last week all the retailers changed to 18th. Samething happened with press stuff date shifted from 13th to 18th

Eusis

Ugh, that giant recycle logo inside the case is an epic eyesore and makes the inner cover look like a cheap piece of garbage. Japan and Europe will probably get normal 3DS style square holes with sweet reversible cover art, the geniuses in Redmond and NY give us something that looks like it needs to be tossed in a metal slot next to a rental shop or a grocery store. Quality job as always, NOA!
No, if they were planning that it'd be the case internationally, as it was for 3DS. Most likely they'd have full, proper cases while we get the cheapo ones AT LEAST partially because Walmart holds too much damn power.

No, if they were planning that it'd be the case internationally, as it was for 3DS. Most likely they'd have full, proper cases while we get the cheapo ones AT LEAST partially because Walmart holds too much damn power.

Just wait, there will be something cool under the arrows in Japan and Europe's cases. Swirly art or something. :p

What does Walmart have to do with this?

Nuklear

Banned
PS3 Cases > Wii/WiiU/360 cases. I was hoping the WiiU was going to use smaller cases. I hate those big ugly DVD cases.

Eusis

Just wait, there will be something cool under the arrows in Japan and Europe's cases. Swirly art or something. :p

What does Walmart have to do with this?
Here's the story for when the ecobox cases first came out for 360, part of it mentions Walmart having a score card with the mandate the entertainment industry reduce "all packaging" by 5% by 2013. That, and when companies start getting cheaper in manufacture/packaging Walmart is one of the first suspects in every case.

Effect

I think Ubisoft for some reason changed street date on ZombiU. It was the 13th then all of a sudden last week all the retailers changed to 18th. Samething happened with press stuff date shifted from 13th to 18th

Was hoping that wasn't the case. Oh well.

Edit: Yup. The latest ZombiU trailer has the 18th down.

Just checked ebay, you can get blank white dvd cases for under $1 each if you buy in bulk. Heck, if you're in Canada, just wait for "The Source" to have their next wave of $0.96 cent clearance shovelware wii games and scoop up all you can just for the cases. Give the game discs away to kids you don't like.

Problem solved!

Poyunch

0a3114c567d32bd46b6bf9bb1251c2a2.jpg
Real talk. It took me a while to see that this was your finger holding up to your disc and not some disturbing, deformed dick picture.

muu

And like said, these are $60 games. A pricey luxury item, not a $5 DVD I'm getting to watch that weekend or because it's a big movie I'd been meaning to see for years. I'd hope they can afford at least that little when I'm paying that much.

And in japan these are 7000yen games, or upwards of 90 dollars each considering exchange rate. It seems like they're trying to cut corners every way possible because they have to; 60 dollars now is not 60 dollars 15 years ago.

And quite frankly imo the lighter cases don't mean much compared to the lack of color coded cases for mature content games. Japanese wii and 3ds games' way of using white for basically E rated games seems great both from a parent/guardian viewpoint and the 'hardcore' gamer (who might feel better about the black cases that stand out from all the sissy white case games). People can butch all they want about enviro friendly cases, but this to me seems like a real loss.

BD1

Banned
I definitely remember getting the Madden a week before the Wii launched. It sat on my coffee table.... mocking me.... taunting me...

Comandr

b7573dc0555b9d394f594eb9ba1e947a.jpg

Fucking HATE this

Mm.. I think these cases generally tend to feel floppier, but it seems that it depends on the publisher and game to actually use them. Shrug. I have only personally encountered a few, and it's not that big of a deal for me. Once I take the game out, I put the box away and that's that.

Blades64

Banned
I hope this thread doesn't get derailed into, "The Wii U game cases look terrible! Preorder cancelled!" Lol.

...preorder cancelled.

Banned
I took a picture of a ps3 game side by side with a Wii U game but its hard to see the difference by photo or even by eye. When you hold the disc you will notice it is thicker or more rounded. It just feels better and less fragile lol. Just a minor thing.

a5fe164c9b7d4eec2c507a9c00f91853.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you're going to cut holes in the case at least make them neat like the 3DS cases. And stick images behind the holes as an added bonus.

I haven't seen those cases myself in the UK, but the only current gen system I have in the Wii. Did the 360 or PS3 get holy cases?

Madao

shitstacular boxes is one reason why i'm going DD. taking out a disc is a pain in the ass with the ultra fragile box.

If you're going to cut holes in the case at least make them neat like the 3DS cases. And stick images behind the holes as an added bonus.

I haven't seen those cases myself in the UK, but the only current gen system I have in the Wii. Did the 360 or PS3 get holy cases?

In America they did. Haven't seen one in the wild in the UK yet.

Eusis

And in japan these are 7000yen games, or upwards of 90 dollars each considering exchange rate. It seems like they're trying to cut corners every way possible because they have to; 60 dollars now is not 60 dollars 15 years ago.
True, but this applies more to the manufacture of an electronic or something, not the packaging of a game that didn't exactly have frills anyway. Admittedly there's still game development and they have to cut costs somewhere, but the holes come off as creating a very mild savings that only has any legitimacy due to bulk and shipping.
And quite frankly imo the lighter cases don't mean much compared to the lack of color coded cases for mature content games. Japanese wii and 3ds games' way of using white for basically E rated games seems great both from a parent/guardian viewpoint and the 'hardcore' gamer (who might feel better about the black cases that stand out from all the sissy white case games). People can butch all they want about enviro friendly cases, but this to me seems like a real loss.
Eh, on one hand they can look nicer and it probably would be a small boost in looking cooler for mainstream gamers, but there's the somewhat troubling aspect of segregating games that way. I suspect that's a big reason they're not used here or in Europe, with the exception to Pandora's Tower likely BECAUSE of the "looks cool" angle.
I hope this thread doesn't get derailed into, "The Wii U game cases look terrible! Preorder cancelled!" Lol.

...preorder cancelled.
You ruined packaging, I'm buying everything digitally!
All that time you spend looking at the inside of the case will just kill you.
Then you get unlucky and something falls, puncturing the plastic RIGHT where there wasn't a hole, and damaging the disc. GREAT JOB.

(Not likely to happen, but I know of at least one case where this DID happen. Combine that with protecting the disc being a vital function of cases, and it's why I get annoyed.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I actually saw Kirby's Epic Yarn at a thrift store recently. $5! Awesome price for a still-recent Nintendo game, right?

....fucking game case was mangled to shit by things poking through the recycling holes in the cases... disc was all scratched up.... cover was ripped to shreds :(

Eusis

I actually saw Kirby's Epic Yarn at a thrift store recently. $5! Awesome price for a still-recent Nintendo game, right?

....fucking game case was mangled to shit by things poking through the recycling holes in the cases... disc was all scratched up.... cover was ripped to shreds :(
Ok we have another example, this time not even the consumer's fault. Seriously, they need to abandon these terrible things and collectively look for a better, more sensible place to save on costs/reduce waste. Or at least try to adapt the 3DS grid thing to these cases, then you'd have a sort of net rather than giant holes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
True, but this applies more to the manufacture of an electronic or something, not the packaging of a game that didn't exactly have frills anyway. Admittedly there's still game development and they have to cut costs somewhere, but the holes come off as creating a very mild savings that only has any legitimacy due to bulk and shipping.

Eh, on one hand they can look nicer and it probably would be a small boost in looking cooler for mainstream gamers, but there's the somewhat troubling aspect of segregating games that way. I suspect that's a big reason they're not used here or in Europe, with the exception to Pandora's Tower likely BECAUSE of the "looks cool" angle.

You ruined packaging, I'm buying everything digitally!

Then you get unlucky and something falls, puncturing the plastic RIGHT where there wasn't a hole, and damaging the disc. GREAT JOB.

(Not likely to happen, but I know of at least one case where this DID happen. Combine that with protecting the disc being a vital function of cases, and it's why I get annoyed.)

Better sell everything in round steel cases. Less chance of breaking it, or having it stab someone with those sharp corners!

Eusis

Better sell everything in round steel cases. Less chance of breaking it, or having it stab someone with those sharp corners!
There's always extremes to one side or the other, non-ecobox plastic cases and solid cardboard ones are both in a solid, affordable middle ground. This is a few steps up from paper sleeves at most.

KevinCow

Banned
I got a text from Gamestop saying my copy of AC3 would be available tomorrow. I guess I'll go pick it up, just because? I don't know.

Top Bottom