• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales compared to PS2, 360, PS3, & Wii - Not doomed

jeremy1456

No, I'm saying 3DS sales increased because games that people wanted started coming out for it, not because Nintendo pumped out a few franchises.

So you're saying that people wanted the games regardless of the franchises they were based around, and that the franchises had nothing to do with how well they sold?

This thread is getting more and more crazy.

You're basically saying that huge games won't sell the Wii U, and then you say that that's what sold the 3DS which is a ludicrous double standard.

I didn't say that's what sold the 3DS at all. They are popular games on systems with a decent at least user base. Of course they sold well. However, I'm not convinced that they've really pulled the 3DS up into the realm of being a long-term success story. Did you not catch the part where I mentioned second year sales being down? Why would it need momentum? The 3DS is far from reaching some sort of saturation point. It's got some great system-sellers now that people who don't own the machine won't have played. So, why aren't New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Kart -- games with traditionally great legs -- still moving large quantities of 3DS units? There were even some great bundles this year.

OP seems to be a fairly good indication of what happens if you look at the numbers alone without actually understanding the circumstances which surround them.

It's not the numbers alone which show the Wii U's in trouble, it's the numbers combined with the circumstances. This will be backed up in January when it does sub 200k at best (assuming they don't panic and cut the price).

Holy shit I've seen some spin mode from the Nintendo side, but saying Smash Bros isn't a system seller because its knockoff Sony game full of characters no one gives a shit about bombed is now the low point of this thread. Of course Smash is system seller, on the failed Gamecube that sold 20 million units it sold over 5 million copies. Hell I think Smash is one of the few reasons so many people owned a Gamecube to begin with.

netBuff

They were just as full of people claiming it would be far less powerful than either the PS3 or the 360.

Or infamously looking at 360 video showreels and claiming they looked worse than the 360.

In the end, it doesn't matter anyway as we know the system to be very weak now, but: That's absolutely not true. And the show-reel thing was constantly repeated as a strawman by Nintendo hopefuls.

Holy shit I've seen some spin mode from the Nintendo side, but saying Smash Bros isn't a system seller because its knockoff Sony game full of characters no one gives a shit about bombed is now the low point of this thread.

I don't see much evidence of Smas Bros. still having much pull in today's market.

jeremy1456

I didn't say that's what sold the 3DS at all. They are popular games on systems with a decent at least user base. Of course they sold well. However, I'm not convinced that they've really pulled the 3DS up into the realm of being a long-term success story. Did you not catch the part where I mentioned second year sales being down? Why would it need momentum? The 3DS is far from reaching some sort of saturation point. It's got some great system-sellers now that people who don't own the machine won't have played. So, why aren't New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Kart -- games with traditionally great legs -- still moving large quantities of 3DS units? There were even some great bundles this year.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 charted on NPD, and the 3DS' December numbers were pretty good.

I think the reason the 3DS is down year over year is because they had a really popular lineup what with Mario Kart and 3D Land.

I don't see much evidence of Smas Bros. still having much pull in today's market.

Dude you're trying way too hard. How in the world would you see evidence of it when a new Smash hasn't come out in almost 5 years? Talking about Sony failed attempt doesn't diminish the fact that both Melee and Brawl are still extremely popular party games. Hell in most college dorms I see that have Wiis they have Wii Sports and Brawl.

guek

Banned
lol

these threads invariably seem to degenerate into trying to figure out which people are fanboys of this or that and how to qualify that "fanboyness."

Darryl

Banned
I can't figure out what any of you guys are talking about. Popular software sells systems, people. The lower the price of the hardware the more the software can sell. History has shown this a billion times over again.

LOL

Mxrz

There'll never be room for serious discussion as long as "Disappointing" or any criticism is deflected "lol nintendo doomed amirite?" stuff. if all you want is an echo chamber of positive stuff, then theres plenty of places for that.

That's why I brought up Playstation All-Stars as evidence of the genre not being in demand anymore.

No thats because no one gives a shit about a collection of Sony IPs. Come on you can make a better argument than this.

jeremy1456

What makes Super Smash Bros. so different from PSABR that it will sell boatloads of consoles?

That's why I brought up Playstation All-Stars as evidence of the genre not being in demand anymore.

This is pure comedy gold. If you can't answer that question for yourself then... wow.

This has to be a fake post from someone's joke account, it just has to.

netBuff

I can't figure out what any of you guys are talking about. Popular software sells systems, people. The lower the price of the hardware the more the software can sell. History has shown this a billion times over again.

LOL

What's there to "LOL" about? If a very similar game flops heavily, why would Nintendo characters propel a title to "system seller" status that didn't even help the GameCube all that much?

This is pure comedy gold. If you can't answer that question for yourself then... wow.

"Nintendo characters" is not a sufficient answer to me.

What makes Super Smash Bros. so different from PSABR that it will sell boatloads of consoles?

Yeah, I hope you don't question where I'm coming from with this, but this comparison is absurd. Playstation All-Stars is not an indicator of the popularity of the mascot fighter.

Chindogg

Nintendo characters are far more iconic than the mostly newly made up Sony characters. And there's a massive Smash community that will play the game based on name recognition alone.

Seriously, saying Mario Kart and Smash aren't system sellers is either ignorant or trolling.

Nekofrog

Banned
So you're saying that people wanted the games regardless of the franchises they were based around, and that the franchises had nothing to do with how well they sold?

This thread is getting more and more crazy.

I just looked at your avatar and realized there's no point in continuing this debate with you.

netBuff

Yeah, I hope you don't question where I'm coming from with this, but this comparison is absurd. Playstation All-Stars is not an indicator of the popularity of the mascot fighter.

Why? Have there been any other notable mascot fighters that would prove the genre's continuing popularity?

jeremy1456

It's down 22% from last year.

And they still have that same lineup as far as people who don't own the system are concerned.

In light of New Super Mario Bros. 2 outselling the 'same line-up' I think your generalization is far off, and kind of a weird one to make in the first place.

guek

Banned
What's there to "LOL" about? If a very similar game flops heavily, why would Nintendo characters propel a title to "system seller" status that didn't even help the GameCube all that much?

Melee sold over 7 million units and was most certainly a system seller. Having a system seller doesn't guarantee long term success. You're making yourself seem less cogent overall by trying to adhere to an absurd ancillary argument.

shink

I disagree, I think PSASBR sold poorly was because of it's characters (It has no pull with consumers), poor marketing and that whole "it's a copy" thing.

Super Smash is a much loved franchise, already sold millions and has recognisable characters that span decades.

The correct argument to make is that Smash Bros is not going to be the savior of Wii U if it is doing badly at the time. Not to try and deflect and say a badly marketed mascot game full of characters no one cares about means that Smash Bros is going to do poorly. By your horrible logic that means you agree that the PS4/720 are going to do horrible because obviously consoles are doomed if Wii U doesn't do well.

Because being similar doesn't in and of itself shed any meaningful light, particularly when the consoles themselves are different. You're not just comparing that one franchise is an established hit while one isn't. You're not just comparing how beloved Sony's mascots are versus Nintendo's. You're also comparing different user bases.

Along the same lines, I don't think Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed's inability to sell indicates trouble for Mario Kart Wii U. The latter is a time-tested franchise that has proven itself time and time again. The same is true with Smash Bros.

USC-fan

Banned
As I stated to the OP in the other threads.

I was around at the launches of the ps3, wii and xbox360. I brought these consoles at launch.

There was major shortage of these consoles at launch. Xbox 360 lasted months, wii for like a year and ps3 lasted into jan. I tried to get a PS3 before christmas and I had to camp out at target a week before christmas before I got one. Funny thing was this console over heated and was pretty much DOA. It took until the 1st week of jan before any of the 5 targets in my area had any in stock again to exchange my broken console.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/04/sony-shortages-show-signs-of-slowing/

People want to post "facts" but over look a huge part of it.

netBuff

Melee sold over 7 million units and was most certainly a system seller. Having a system seller doesn't guarantee long term success. You're making yourself seem less cogent overall by trying to adhere to an absurd ancillary argument.

Seven Million on a pretty third-party starved system in a span of seven years. Doesn't scream "system seller" in today's world to me. I'm not seeing any cogent reasoning from you why a genre that has been pretty much abandoned might still be relevant today to the effect of selling a huge amount of consoles.

What makes Call of Duty so different than the thousands of copycats? Surely they should have the same sales, by this logic.

Call of Duty is actually legitimately relevant and popular in 2013.

In light of New Super Mario Bros. 2 outselling the 'same line-up' I think your generalization is far off, and kind of a weird one to make in the first place.

I mean if last year's titles moved hardware, then those same titles have the capability of moving hardware for people who don't already own a 3DS. So, it has New Super Mario Bros. and it has last year's Mario Kart and 3DS Land. It's got some really popular software that is capable of moving hardware, and sales are down.

I don't know why you keep trying to read my posts as making an argument they aren't. I'm not making complicated leaps here. It's all pretty straightforward.

Seven Million on a pretty third-party starved system in a span of seven years. Doesn't scream "system seller" in today's world to me.

7 million on a 20 million userbase. No matter how much you try and spin this it won't look bad.

Seven Million on a pretty third-party starved system in a span of seven years. Doesn't scream "system seller" in today's world to me. I'm not seeing any cogent reasoning from you why a genre that has been pretty much abandoned might still be relevant today to the effect of selling a huge amount of consoles.

You're killing me here. Please, just stop. I beg you.

Darryl

Banned
Call of Duty is actually legitimately relevant and popular in 2013.

You realize that the ongoing Smash Bros speculation thread (fueled currently by zero information) is at popularity parity with the now long-released Sony Smash Bros? You need to get out more or something. It's one of the most system-selling franchises there is. If Smash Bros bombs, even I'll declare the system a failure.

Nekofrog

Banned
This thread has to be a joke. Smash Bros and Mario Kart are the definition of system sellers.

That's not the debate. The debate is whether or not they'll be system sells for the Wii U, and they most likely won't be. Weren't a LOT of Smash fans burned by Brawl?

Kacho

That's not the debate. The debate is whether or not they'll be system sells for the Wii U, and they most likely won't be. Weren't a LOT of Smash fans burned by Brawl?

Of course they will be system sellers. It's foolish to argue that they won't be.

jeremy1456

I mean if last year's titles moved hardware, then those same titles have the capability of moving hardware for people who don't already own a 3DS. So, it has New Super Mario Bros. and it has last year's Mario Kart and 3DS Land. It's got some really popular software that is capable of moving hardware, and sales are down.

I don't know why you keep trying to read my posts as making an argument they aren't. I'm not making complicated leaps here. It's all pretty straightforward.

You said that 3D Land and Mario Kart were perceived as the entire line-up of the 3DS. That was a pretty big generalization, so I retorted by saying that NSMB2 sold more than those other games in December to show you that your generalization that wasn't based on facts was too broad.

I'm not making complicated leaps here either.

Didn't stop it from easily becoming the best selling in the series. If the word of mouth was that horrible it shouldn't have. Brawl's hatred is completely overblown. Was it disappointing to many people compared to melee? Yes. Did people want to burn the discs like SFxTekken? No. Also just because a game is a system seller doesn't mean it's going to save a platform that is doing horribly. You need more than huge big system selling games to maintain stable sales because there will be lulls when those aren't being released. Now, I'm seeing where people are definitely being too negative.

Mario. And other actual headliner characters.
This thread has to be a joke. Smash Bros and Mario Kart are the definition of system sellers.
Of course they will be system sellers. It's foolish to argue that they won't be.
I think they'll sell well.

But Nintendo's IPs were also available on the GameCube.

There's an argument to be had that the degree of success Mario Kart enjoyed this generation was as a result of a large installed base driven by motion control novelty and Wii Sports as a killer app. As opposed to actually being a primary driver of installed base growth.

If things head south, there's no guarantee Mario Kart is some sort of panacea.

I guess we'll see when they're released. My prediction is no.

This is a baseless prediction. I think even people who were "burned" by Brawl will look forward to the next iteration. And that is a vast minority of people to begin with. It's a mainstream powerhouse.

jeremy1456

So because the franchises sold millions of N64s, DSes, 3DSes, and Wiis the fact that they didn't sell that many Gamecubes is somehow the more relevant argument?

the wiiU is the successor to the wii. Its numbers are bad and terrible.

they shoud just rebadge it gamecube2.

also, its not moving 3rd party software so that's going to peter out real fast.

Mario. And other actual headliner characters.I think they'll sell well.

But Nintendo's IPs were also available on the GameCube.

There's an argument to be had that the degree of success Mario Kart enjoyed this generation was as a result of a large installed base driven by motion control novelty and Wii Sports as a killer app. As opposed to actually being a primary driver of installed base growth.

I think that argument is probably correct. The same applies to the NSMB series. They were definitely system sellers at the time, but remove Wii Sports and Wii Fit from the equation and the Wii probably doesn;t do nearly as well. Now, as I said in the previous post this doesn't mean that Smash 4 and Kart U won't move systems. I doubt they would be able to turn around the Wii U if it were doing really badly at the time though. It would just be a couple of month boost

Nekofrog

Banned
Didn't stop it from easily becoming the best selling in the series. If the word of mouth was that horrible it shouldn't have. Brawl's hatred is completely overblown. Was it disappointing to many people compared to melee? Yes. Did people want to burn the discs like SFxTekken? No. Also just because a game is a system seller doesn't mean it's going to save a platform that is doing horribly. You need more than huge big system selling games to maintain stable sales because there will be lulls when those aren't being released. Now, I'm seeing where people are definitely being too negative.

It's hard NOT to be negative when Nintendo is acting so queer right now.

Top Bottom