• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Satisfaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseMath

I can't wait to use the Lens of Truth in the new Zelda game.
Because the controller is the perfect reason for it.

Josh7289

Slightly off topic, but I don't understand why people expect to be "satisfied" by a purchase. Is that really what satisfies you in life? Buying things?

Maybe it's playing video games? I don't get it. It's just entertainment. I don't see how it could ever truly satisfy me.

Please enlighten.

I don't understand this I didn't buy Wii U for 3rd party games. Of course you did. Unless you only buy Nintendo games. And if that's true, shame on you.

Asside from slow OS and shitty ports i'm very happy with it. Finally Nintendo games in HD. NSMBU os fantastic and hard as fuck. Nintendoland is a lot of fun with other people in the room and Trine 2 is great.
Love the controller. But it's still a bit confusing deviding your attention over two different screens at a different distance at a different size.

Can't wait for Pikmin3.
I don't understand this I didn't buy Wii U for 3rd party games. Of course you did. Unless you only buy Nintendo games.
I honestly bought it for first party games and exclusive third party games. Any best multiplat version is a bonus. But i'm not counting on many anymore.

stuminus3

As I said elsewhere, I haven't bought a Nintendo system expecting a clone of the competition since 1990... I am quite clear on why I purchased the thing so I haven't been disappointed (for the record I feel the same way about handheld, mobile, PC gaming etc).

Got 5 games - Nintendo Land (which is surprisingly great), Mario (I actually love the NSMB games), ZombiU (my #2 reason for wanting the system, #1 being Pikmin but that's not out yet), Nano Assault Neo (light years better than the 3DS version), and Trine 2 (beautiful and ironically fun to play with Wiimote/nunchuck). I'm thinking I'll get the kids to give me Sonic & Sega Transformed for Christmas or something. I also absolutely cannot wait for Rayman Legends after playing that amazing demo, wish that was out for Christmas.

My biggest issue with the system is the dreadful OS performance. What I don't understand is why the browser is so snappy, but the rest of the OS experience totally isn't. I got my new iPhone 5 today and it's like stepping into the future compared to the Wii U OS.

I can't wait to use the Lens of Truth in the new Zelda game.
Because the controller is the perfect reason for it.
Haha, well played.

cakefoo

We need two threads for every argument- one for favorable opinions and the other for opposed. The catch: those in favor get to post in both threads, while those who oppose aren't allowed to post in either.

My family love our Wii U! The only other games I have for it outside of Nintendo Land is Kirby Epic Yarn and Xenoblade Chronicles (luckily got a sealed copy from GS). Can't wait to get Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends early next year. I need to still grab Sonic Racing Transformed later down the line. The system provides pure fun and that's what I value most from a gaming console.

With the system itself, I'm very pleased with it. I do wish the menu was quicker but it is what it is. I actually appreciate that it still used Wii Motes so it doesn't require you to buy a ton of new controllers ( Sadly, I sold my Wii years ago and had to grabbed a few Flingsmash bundles for cheap and a nunchuk). I feel that, even with the other two new consoles coming soon, my Wii U will still get a lot of play as long as whimsical and creative titles come out for it. My house is happy to have one and can't wait to see what else will come out for it.

So far im pretty satisfied with the Wii U. I love Miiverse, I like the Netflix app, and I love off TV play.

NSMBU was a lot of fun, and im going to pick up the Sonic racing game sometime soon to try out the online. Which im hoping will be decent because I havent seemed to have the problem with download times that some people have.

The launch lineup didnt have much I want, but most launch lineups dont. But I love the entire package that the Wii U is in itself, and im sure enough games will come out that I want.

7threst

Slightly off topic, but I don't understand why people expect to be "satisfied" by a purchase. Is that really what satisfies you in life? Buying things?

Maybe it's playing video games? I don't get it. It's just entertainment. I don't see how it could ever truly satisfy me.

Please enlighten.

I guess I'm really easily entertained and simple or something. I just get satisfaction out of enjoying myself. A lot of that enjoyment I derive out of playing videogames.

Salsa

man GAF gets juvenile as shit during console launches

WHY THE WiiU SUCKS thread

WHY THE WiiU IS GREAT counter-thread

Just enjoy it or dont. You dont need to defend anything as long as you're having fun. It comes off as trying to find encouragement or justification in your pointless opinion. "Its great right guys??? right?!?!?"

I know about the new rules of not complaining about threads or saying "lol not thread worthy" but I hope this doesnt come off like that cause its really not my point, just had an opinion to share regarding this stuff. Its silly.

Please enlighten.

Don't you enjoy the charm of buying a new system? Unboxing it?Playing it for the first time? The illusion of new games to come, sharing experiences?

I do. A LOT.

tkscz

Just enjoy it or dont. You dont need to defend anything as long as you're having fun. It comes off as trying to find encouragement or justification in your pointless opinion. "Its great right guys??? right?!?!?"

I know about the new rules of not complaining about threads or saying "lol not thread worthy" but I hope this doesnt come off like that cause its really not my point, just had an opinion to share regarding this stuff. Its silly.

I don't think the point is to counter the other thread, but give a chance for people who are happy with it a chance to say something about it. Or it could be a counter to the other thread, I'm not the OP.

Please enlighten.

Being satisfied is subjective, so it all depends on what satisfies you and how. For instance, I'm satisfied with anything that makes me happy. When I'm having fun, I'm happy, and I have fun playing the games on my WiiU, so I'm satisfied with it.

Not that i mind, but it's exactly that :p

hatchx

Banned
I'm happy with Wii U. I wish I had more time to play it, but I really like ZombiU and NintendoLand and I'm really pleasantly surprised by how challenging NSMBU is.

I really hope they speed up the OS, but other than that I'm pretty happy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Aside from the obvious issues of slow app loading on the OS and 3rd party port blues, I'm just about entirely happy. At worse a fringe issue is wishing for a bigger 3rd party battery to stick in the gamepad.

But slowness aside, I really like the OS in concept. I like how Miiverse is integrated and organized. I like the way the messaging system is set up and threaded for friend messages. I like the gamepad, like the entire concept of the console in practice as well as in theory now that I've had play time with it.

So yeah, on the whole I'm having a fine time and am very interested to see what Nintendo does from here software-wise. Naturally, all this is said with the understanding that the console is launch state, version 1.0. The OS should/needs to be nipped and tucked. Features are yet to be added and expanded upon. If Nintendo is conscious of this and steadily develops the experience, it's all good. I never expected something identical to Steam or Xbox Live on day one, word one.

I will add, one thing I really appreciate about the system is that it grandfathered in everything that made the Wii interesting, including devices: the wiimotes, M+ wiimotes, balance board, nunchucks I had just slide right into the next generation. I'm not one who hates them or the idea of motion control. It's still under-explored territory, and I'm very glad the console natively supports it all out of the gate.

Josh7289

I guess I'm really easily entertained and simple or something. I just get satisfaction out of enjoying myself. A lot of that enjoyment I derive out of playing videogames.

Don't you enjoy the charm of buying a new system? Unboxing it?Playing it for the first time? The illusion of new games to come, sharing experiences?

I do. A LOT.
Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm sorry if I came off as too forward or something. I really am curious, so I appreciate the input.
3AQmK.gif

Salsa

Not that i mind, but it's exactly that :p

Im not complaining about the thread, I find it as silly as the previous one when there's a general WiiU launch OT that could cover all this (this thread is basically people saying what the like about it and what they dont, something everyone's been doing in the other thread since it launched)

Not complaining about anything really just an opinion on people's attitudes

Korosenai

My likes:

• The controller is amazing. Very comfortable to hold.
  • I'm kind of addicted to MiiVerse.
  • The challenges in NSMBU are a lot of fun.
  • Nintendo Land is great if you can get a group of 3 or more playing.
  • The Rayman Legends Demo. Nuff said.
  • Being able to play on my gamepad while watching something else on tv.
  • Being able to use the gamepad as a tv remote is great.

My dislikes:

• Not enough games I want right now, but that's all gonna change next year when Monster Hunter 3, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, and Aliens comes out.
  • The load time are a bit slow, but I don't mind.

Juken

So far I'm satisfied, but my expectations weren't sky high. I've had a ton of fun with my launch gamed despite the fact that none have really sold me on the Gamepad. Miiverse has been the one pleasant surprise.

Please enlighten.

Perhaps you are unsure of the meaning?

sat·is·fy
/ˈsatisˌfī/
Verb

1. Meet the expectations, needs, or desires of (someone).
2. Fulfill (a desire or need).

People have expectations when making purchases.

Well I knew what I was getting into adopting the Wii U early but I've been loving it, even with it's downsides. I really love the gamepad. The off TV play is soo good, I don't think I've used my TV at all to play games and stream movies.

Josh7289

So far I'm satisfied, but my expectations weren't sky high. I've had a ton of fun with my launch gamed despite the fact that none have really sold me on the Gamepad. Miiverse has been the one pleasant surprise.

Perhaps you are unsure of the meaning?

sat·is·fy
/ˈsatisˌfī/
Verb

1. Meet the expectations, needs, or desires of (someone).
2. Fulfill (a desire or need).

People have expectations when making purchases.

This makes sense. I may have been confusing satisfaction with "happiness" or "fulfillment"?

Sadist

Well some people think it's neccesary to call somebody out on their opinion. We see enough threads demonstrating this way of thought :p

JaseMath

I don't think the point is to counter the other thread, but give a chance for people who are happy with it a chance to say something about it. Or it could be a counter to the other thread, I'm not the OP.

This is exactly right. Juvenile or not, I'm tired of the negative Wii U threads. There's threads discussing hard locks, the "horrible, slow CPU", the OS, sales figures, buyers remorse, lack of the 3rd party efforts, etc., yet there are were no threads where people could really proclaim their satisfaction of owning the console.

This is exactly right. Juvenile or not, I'm tired of the negative Wii U threads. There's threads discussing hard locks, the "horrible, slow CPU", the OS, sales figures, buyers remorse, lack of the 3rd party efforts, etc., yet there are no threads where people can really proclaim their satisfaction of the console.

THIS.

This is exactly right. Juvenile or not, I'm tired of the negative Wii U threads. There's threads discussing hard locks, the "horrible, slow CPU", the OS, sales figures, buyers remorse, lack of the 3rd party efforts, etc., yet there are were no threads where people can really talk about Wii U without being torn apart.

Don't forget about the "Limited number of demos" thread!

7threst

I like how Miiverse is integrated and organized. I like the way the messaging system is set up and threaded for friend messages.

Yeah, I just realized Nintendo really found a way to make MiiVerse work. At first I disliked the idea for communities and just wanted some sort of forum/PS Home or something like that... but now I think it really makes sense. The Whole MiiVerse is connected to the idea of playing games and playing them together, just not per se at the same time. And I already met some great people already with which I exchange messages. Way better than the insult-messages I usually get on PSN haha :)

Juken

Is this the version of the buyer's remorse thread where the people who were angry that people had buyer's remorse will post in?

lol yeah...and people with buyer's remorse will come to this thread just as people who are satisfied went to argue in that one. They'll slowly become the same thread.

This makes sense. I may have been confusing satisfaction with "happiness" or "fulfillment"?

Yeah I figured that might be the case.

I posted this in the 'remorse' thread, but I'll post it here too:

I've spent £437 so far. I hope for speed improvements to the OS, but other than that I'm very happy and have no regrets whatsoever.

My 3 year old nephew loved seeing his Mii created by photo -- I know this is something they've had since 3DS, but he was tickled pink seeing his face transform on TV. Netflix and Lovefilm are both active in the UK now and Lovefilm, in a timely fashion, have gotten rid of the streaming limits/restrictions that used to be in place (I used to only get 4-5hrs a month on my subscription, its now unlimited). I love that even apps like YTube, Netflix and Lovefilm have their own Miiverse communities, I've found myself reading posts about shows I like and discovering silly/stupid youtube videos I didn't know existed. The netflix UI is great, there's an adult mode and a kids mode. In kids mode, there's this kids TV character menu, so my nephew for example can just point at Ben-10 and away he goes.

As for the games...

NintendoLand - brilliant fun, especially with others, but even alone in the case of some minigames. Some can be played off TV (DK Crash Course for example). My 3 year old nephew was able to play the Zelda minigame with me - we kept dying of course, but that gives you an idea of how simple and accessible some of the games can be... and yet some of them are quite tough too. To best the main attractions and top your leaderboards with gold trophies you will fail and fail again. I defy any group not to laugh while playing the Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing minigames.

NSMBU - the single player game is a good standard above recent entries in this series, and modes like challenge mode are a revelation

Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing - track design and character selection is great, the transforming craft is MK7 - but done a lot better, the online is great, has the kind of battle mode that's been sorely lacking in recent MKs, and it has off TV play.

Mighty Switch Force HD - definitive HD version of the 3DS classic, great fun beating PAR times.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - single player looks beautiful, DF article was very nitpicky in my view, and the multiplayer is flawless fun once you start to stop sucking at it! Taking a guest online and both having independent views (gamepad + TV) is amazing. While online count is still low at the moment, it's definitely the premiere online game for Wii U at the moment if you like shooters, and you can always get a full game.

ZombiU - really striking concept. I can see why the gameplay was polarising but I love it. The sound design is great: your character gets more out of breath and crazed with panic the more you swing your cricket bat... zombie heads dent inwards on impact quite a bit before you're actually able kill one, so it feels satisfyingly violent, and different types of zombies (armoured ex army / police for example) help to keep you on your toes. It's nice to see Zombies can follow you through doors (so you can barricade them), crawl and lay in wait. Aside from scripted scares, you just find yourself nervous and constantly pinging the radar on the gamepad before turning corners. The in-game messages from devs about Survivor leaders and so forth, along with the loss of your loot and a readout of how long you lasted when you die keeps you wanting to survive... and surviving isn't easy.

I also have Puddle, which is just okay. Its a game in the vein of Fluidity / HydroAdventure, but with themed world twists (ie. the liquid changes from water to weed killer, oil etc). It seems quite tough to master later on. I think Trine 2 will be my next game purchase.

The FIFA13 demo has put me off getting the game, despite being initially interested. The gamepad management menu stuff is great, off TV play would be great, but its fundamentally lacking in things that make the other versions good (skill minigames, ultimate team etc). Touching to place a shot sounds great in theory, but it just felt a bit janky to me... nothing to do with the gamepad or the screen, just the way it overlays this giant net over the touchscreen while you're still moving... I can't say I really like it.

I'm looking forward to getting the Rayman Legends demo tonight. If its the same one they had at EuroGamer and PlayExpo, I'm going to play it as much as they'll allow me to before the game launches... it will definitely be one to show off to other people as well in 2 player, its a good laugh.

My feelings on the 'bad' ports:

I own a 360 and a PS3, so to be honest, I am not enamoured with things like Batman: Armored Edition, Mass Effect 3 (given trilogy is out) or Darksiders II, all of which I've already played -- but I am able to suspend my cynicism long enough to realise that actually, maybe there are still people who didn't have those consoles or for whatever reason would prefer to buy them for this console. For some people these will be serviceable and passable ports, or even of a quality where some people won't even notice their flaws. Call them blind, stupid, whatever you want -- I think the sales of an SD console barely more powerful than a Gamecube between 2006 and 2010 prove that not everybody pays as much scrutiny to these things as GAF does. I am playing Black Ops 2 right now on Wii U, and I find that all the technical analyses posted on GAF and elsewhere have been extremely nitpicky... yes there are frame drops in single player at one or two points (I find it extremely rare), but its still a very beautiful game, and the perks of Off TV Play and having an independent screen for an online guest absolutely make up for any shortcomings. I haven't played much outside of domination and general TDM when it comes to the multiplayer yet, but I've not had any problems getting games. I really hope more people pick it up - because its good!

I feel very lucky not to have experienced any problems that some people have had - no WiFi trouble, no lock ups, no overly slow downloads... there's no denying the OS doesn't have the usual Nintendo polish, but there's also no denying that it does a lot more than the typical Nintendo OS, and that the system generally is actually doing a lot of really nice stuff. I can totally understand that some people, who have experienced problems, are pissed that Nintendo have rushed the console out with bugs and an unoptimised OS -- it's a lot of money to pay to experience problems -- but personally? I haven't experienced those problems and I'm happy it's here. It's nice to have something new now. If you gave me the options of the console now, with the kinks ironed out later, or the console not coming out until next year some time? I'd have taken it now everytime. I have had a blast with it since launch. As I said in another thread, a lot of the games, the web browser and miiverse/social-interaction aspects are all good, and deserving of some praise, as is the gamepad and the added perks it provides generally... I feel like the positives are being drowned out by hyper critical cynicism to some extent, but it was nice to see that an awful lot of people in the supposed Wii U remorse thread were actually really happy with it.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Sure, I'll play along.

ZombiU is actually in contention for my personal game of the year. Of course, that says more about the kind of boring year it's been than anything else, but hey, it's a great game.

I was expecting to enjoy Pac Man Vs. 2.0, but the single player games and the actual theme park/Miiverse setup in Nintendoland are fantastic.

The Gamepad and Miiverse are way more interesting than I had hoped for.

I wish the slow loading for the OS would be fixed and that /everything/ was available digitally like on the Vita, but they're minor issues in the long run.

I mean, I have potential Game of the Forever candidates Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 coming. Not to mention all the expected successors to the usual Nintendo franchises that have been so consistently good that anything below a 90/100 aggregate score is considered extremely disappointing.

I'm pretty damned happy with it. But then, I'm happy with all the other consoles I have too (read: all of them). I'd probably be a little more worried if I didn't have other entertainment options anyway.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This is exactly right. Juvenile or not, I'm tired of the negative Wii U threads.

If you're happy with the thing, you're happy with the thing. NeoGAF doesn't need to be brought into balance to achieve some invisible good PR achievement. Theres a WiiU launch thread, and threads for the individual games where positivity overfloweth. When topics like this get made, things start to feel a little weird.

Gino

I'm satisfied with a caveat that they improve the OS over time. I'm loving the games but the load times and the ocassional freezing are not making me happy.

I've had several occasion to play this in a party setting and for me nintendo land is a better game thAn wii sports was for this.

Lyonaz

Miiverse is Wii U's killer app!

Anyways love the thing, hopefully in the future we can make our own community on Miiverse. MiiGAFverse would rock.

Besides OS stuff, the only thing I wish was this system supporting more than one Gamepad. I really hope one day we get four of these per system and then the games can really open up.

hachi

Banned
Plenty of satisfaction out there from what I can tell in the Miiverse threads for instance.

But most of the problematic threads on GAF have merely been from the same vocal sector that doesn't like the idea that raw specs are becoming less important to gaming over time. They'd like to take on a status as experts and be able to determine the superior system solely by power, but haven't fully accepted that those days are waning, just as most consumers are satisfied with HD TVs and won't be heading out in droves for 3D, 4K, or any of the rest. Industries wedded to winning by way of a spec war are doomed, IMO.

Instead we'll continue to see: smaller screens and devices, flexibility, design, and better fit into your daily or social life -- those are the parameters that becomes more important going forward. The Durango and PS4 will surely fight the old spec war but all indications are that the traditional gaming sector is hardly the future of the medium.

If you're happy with the thing, you're happy with the thing. NeoGAF doesn't need to be brought into balance to achieve some invisible good PR achievement. Theres a WiiU launch thread, and threads for the individual games where positivity overfloweth. When topics like this get made, things start to feel a little weird.

Why are you advocating people happy with it be constrained to the launch / game threads but not those experiencing buyer's remorse? I don't see what makes one feeling more thread worthy than another.

I personally preferred the mega-threads purely because it was easier to keep track of and stay engaged in, but as they're gone and plenty of other silly threads get made, some locked, some not - I'm laissez faire about what lives and dies here... if people don't like a thread, the thread will become unbearable to read or it'll drop off and die. Simples.

Isn't this the second thread of its kind? Do you really need to justify your purchase on GAF or are you too worried of this being another running joke, like the Vita once was?

I guess this is the thread for the people who actually bought Wii U at launch? I'm loving it so far. Waiting for some RPGs to hit as well

stuminus3

OK but do you like the Wii U. For or against. You must pick a side. Face your density.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why are you advocating people happy with it be constrained to the launch / game threads but not those experiencing buyer's remorse? I don't see what makes one feeling more thread worthy than another.

I personally preferred the mega-threads purely because it was easier to keep track of and stay engaged in, but as they're gone and plenty of other silly threads get made, some locked, some not - I'm laissez faire about what lives and dies here... if people don't like a thread, the thread will become unbearable to read or it'll drop off and die. Simples.

Sorry, just found it funny he bolded the part it quite clearly didn't seem to be when this is by all accounts an obvious counter to that thread after all.

Yeah I hate mega-threads, but I find them even weirder when they become their own little communities that chase the other side out. Thats what encourages the two tribes go to war mentality that can get people a little too riled up around here.

One thing you Wii U owners should definitely be satisfied with is Ubisoft. Honestly without the stuff they're putting down on this system, it might has well not have launched at all. Definitely gonna be more satisfied people out there when Rayman hits, but I am suspicious that its seemingly being held back for February. Victim of drought management?

Isn't this the second thread of its kind? Do you really need to justify your purchase on GAF or are you too worried of this being another running joke, like the Vita once was?

Justify?

Can't people share It's posittive thoughts about a system without calling it justify?

Come on now.

Safe Bet

Banned
Even at the deepest depths of my despair when the Wii was selling out and the PS3 was sitting unwanted on store shelves, I never once thought of creating a thread like this.

Congrats OP

You've hit rock bottom.

The only way from here is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom