• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Satisfaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My external hard drive which had at one point mysteriously stopped working suddenly and mysteriously started working, so I copied off the data and hooked it up to the Wii U.

The formatting was a lot faster than I had expected. I was fully prepared to go make several sandwiches while a progress bar made cyclical ding sounds, but I had barely started to stand when it had completed. It was interesting how it installed stuff to the hard drive without asking, as I have space free on internal storage.

By the way, I had been rather disappointed how you had to go into the Downloader app to install stuff that you've downloaded. I am much less discontent after they automated that process. Seemed like a no-brainer.

Anyway, if the drive mysteriously stopped working again, it'd be easy to redownload my purchased items to a new drive, right?

Also, because I was going through backlog, I hadn't downloaded the Rayman challenge thing until yesterday. Obviously, I missed a whole bunch of stages. Will they be somehow playable after the fact at some point?

Bombadil

Banned
Does anyone else experience this problem?:

I'm using Netflix on the WiiU. I pause a show and click the home button and close program. The WiiU freezes.

But if I pause the show and go to the main show menu where all the episodes are shown on little squares, and close the program from there, it doesn't freeze.

It's really annoying.

I have been forced by microsoft to pick up a wiiu today.

as a jaded gamer, i kinda like it. btw first thing i did within 10 minutes of opening it up is drop the controller onto a hard tile floor. i think i hear a loose thing but everything else seems fine. should i be worried?

moolamb

btw first thing i did within 10 minutes of opening it up is drop the controller onto a hard tile floor. i think i hear a loose thing but everything else seems fine. should i be worried?

I think the gamepad is pretty solid. I've had a loose rattling from the very beginning (not sure if it's one of the switches or the stylus rattling around) so I wouldn't worry too much. There's a video somewhere in the ether which shows you how to eliminate that little rattle with some tape, it has never bothered me though.

Rhapsody

Banned

as a jaded gamer, i kinda like it. btw first thing i did within 10 minutes of opening it up is drop the controller onto a hard tile floor. i think i hear a loose thing but everything else seems fine. should i be worried?

Sure it's not the stylus? It might be the rattling noise.

I think the gamepad is pretty solid. I've had a loose rattling from the very beginning (not sure if it's one of the switches or the stylus rattling around) so I wouldn't worry too much. There's a video somewhere in the ether which shows you how to eliminate that little rattle with some tape, it has never bothered me though.

Probably the face buttons. They're a bit rattly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIQpKh9ma88

Do you hear the lose thing on the right side of the gamepad? The rattling you hear is most likely the face buttons and/or the stylus.

Mileena

Banned
everything works fine. i made fun of the wiiu controller, but playing from my locked room made me a fool!

I made fun of it and it now it's by far my favorite controller of the three current systems. Also going back to NSMBU and it's not so bad once you get to the last two worlds, just not all that great before that. I'm enjoying it.

AGoodODST

It's probably just the gyro, don't worry :)

The hurdle Nintendo has to overcome is how to get the gamepad in users hands. Once it is really used without any pressure or preconceived notions, it is hard not to love.

Figured I'd ask here instead of making a thread during E3:

Was the Wii's Virtual Console and DD content tied to the system like the Wii U or was it tied to some sort of account?

I assume it's the former, and I assume the same is true if you buy Wii Virtual Console content on a Wii U, right?

CPCunha

don't know if this is the right thread but here it goes... anyone else get REALLY washed out colors when on Wii mode? It looks desaturated as hell... Am i doing something wrong or is it as good as it gets?

Figured I'd ask here instead of making a thread during E3:

Was the Wii's Virtual Console and DD content tied to the system like the Wii U or was it tied to some sort of account?

I assume it's the former, and I assume the same is true if you buy Wii Virtual Console content on a Wii U, right?

Correct. I bought a used wii that had tons of vc which became mine with the hardware.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've been really wanting a Wii U. I almost pulled the trigger with the Target sale but held off until it was too late because I expected a price drop at e3. Now not only did they not do that but they also are pulling the basic sets so $350 will be the bare minimum!

I've found a place selling basic bundles for $300 with a game of your choice and a Wiimote packed in. Do you guys think this is the best deal we're gonna get for the foreseeable future? Seems like not only is Ninty not going to cut the price but that now time is of the essence if you want to buy the cheaper option before it gets yanked.

I've been really wanting a Wii U. I almost pulled the trigger with the Target sale but held off until it was too late because I expected a price drop at e3. Now not only did they not do that but they also are pulling the basic sets so $350 will be the bare minimum!

I've found a place selling basic bundles for $300 with a game of your choice and a Wiimote packed in. Do you guys think this is the best deal we're gonna get for the foreseeable future? Seems like not only is Ninty not going to cut the price but that now time is of the essence if you want to buy the cheaper option before it gets yanked.
Wait a little longer they still might drop that price a little if mario and stuff come out and it still not dropped just go buy it

Lavapotamus

Neo Member

They HAVE to drop it this year if they want to stand a chance competing against the new consoles. I own one, but I would wait it out. Holiday bundles or a holiday price cut are extremely likely. If they do neither, they'll just be watching their sinking console taking on a ton of water.

God, what are they doing :/ it's frustrating being a fan of theirs right now.

Seems like a pretty good deal actually. Do you have a choice of any game or a specific game? WiiMote+ aren't cheap either... If you need the WiiMote+ and get to choose the game for $300 I'd say go for it. That's about 200 for a basic Wii U. If its a specific game and the WiiMote isn't much use to you cause you have a bunch laying around then I'd be less likely to pick it up.

Oh, is there any games you are already interested in: ZombiU, Lego City U, NSMBU, etc...? That would also factor in since you obviously get a free game it needs to be one you are interested in already and will give you reasons to play it now.

Edit:

They HAVE to drop it this year if they want to stand a chance competing against the new consoles. I own one, but I would wait it out. Holiday bundles or a holiday price cut are extremely likely. If they do neither, they'll just be watching their sinking console taking on a ton of water.

I agree they have to drop the price but the question of whether this is a good deal really becomes if you believe they will drop it under 300 for the Deluxe with a pack-in. Even if it's dropped under 300 it becomes close and depends on how low you think it will go. Of course there's something to be said for being able to choose your game as well.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

Listen, I understand what you are saying. I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time, moreso now than when I was a younger dude though. I find the older I and my kids get, the more Nintendo works for me.

Thing is, as much as I love them, they are the most loveable knuckleheaded morons you will ever meet and you should never trust them with anything of value. I imagine that behind the scenes at the upper echelons of Nintendo is a lot like a Japanese version of the Three Stooges where a bunch of crazy, eccentric bums got cold and stole some suits from a drycleaner and they just happened to be almost, but not quite, the right size for each of the bums to wear.

At that point the bums had to use the can so they walked into NCL headquarters in their fancy new duds where, it just so happens, they found the exact same amount of empty desks off in one corner as there were wandering, suited tramps.

Those bums have been sleeping under their desks there at NCL headquarters for nigh on 12 years getting into wacky adventures when everyone else goes home for the night. They've had to use all their street smarts, and more than a few lucky breaks, to keep people from knowing that they don't really belong there but so far those crazy fellows have managed to pull it off, and one of those lovable scamps even lucked his way into the CEO spot! In the process they've learned a little about each other, and a LOT about themselves!

Pardon the moment of whimsy, it all worked out really well in my head. Basically, I can totally see Nintendo not cutting the price until the holiday of 2014 because they legitimately feel like they are in a great spot and can't figure out quite why things aren't working out for them. Long story short, I never expect Nintendo to act in a logical manner.

Seems like a pretty good deal actually. Do you have a choice of any game or a specific game? WiiMote+ aren't cheap either... If you need the WiiMote+ and get to choose the game for $300 I'd say go for it. That's about 200 for a basic Wii U. If its a specific game and the WiiMote isn't much use to you cause you have a bunch laying around then I'd be less likely to pick it up.

Oh, is there any games you are already interested in: ZombiU, Lego City U, NSMBU, etc...? That would also factor in since you obviously get a free game it needs to be one you are interested in already and will give you reasons to play it now.

Well, they give you a generic Motion + which is awesome because I have NOTHING and want to be able to play with my kids. You can choose from pretty much any current Wii U game and, as much as I want to try Zombi U, I'd probably go with NSMBU.

Is Nintendo actually pulling all the basics? If I'm on borrowed time before the minimum point of entry is $350 'till the holidays I may just jump. $300 for all that extra stuff included ain't bad, and even with free shipping. I'm gonna buy one eventually anyways :/ ARGH AND THEN THERE IS DONKEY KONG...

EDIT:

Ordering in morning! Do I go with NSMBU or Zombi U? How is local MP in Zombi U?

Listen, I understand what you are saying. I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time, moreso now than when I was a younger dude though. I find the older I and my kids get, the more Nintendo works for me.

Thing is, as much as I love them, they are the most loveable knuckleheaded morons you will ever meet and you should never trust them with anything of value. I imagine that behind the scenes at the upper echelons of Nintendo is a lot like a Japanese version of the Three Stooges where a bunch of crazy, eccentric bums got cold and stole some suits from a drycleaner and they just happened to be almost, but not quite, the right size for each of the bums to wear.

At that point the bums had to use the can so they walked into NCL headquarters in their fancy new duds where, it just so happens, they found the exact same amount of empty desks off in one corner as there were wandering, suited tramps.

Those bums have been sleeping under their desks there at NCL headquarters for nigh on 12 years getting into wacky adventures when everyone else goes home for the night. They've had to use all their street smarts, and more than a few lucky breaks, to keep people from knowing that they don't really belong there but so far those crazy fellows have managed to pull it off, and one of those lovable scamps even lucked his way into the CEO spot! In the process they've learned a little about each other, and a LOT about themselves!

Pardon the moment of whimsy, it all worked out really well in my head. Basically, I can totally see Nintendo not cutting the price until the holiday of 2014 because they legitimately feel like they are in a great spot and can't figure out quite why things aren't working out for them. Long story short, I never expect Nintendo to act in a logical manner.

Well, they give you a generic Motion + which is awesome because I have NOTHING and want to be able to play with my kids. You can choose from pretty much any current Wii U game and, as much as I want to try Zombi U, I'd probably go with NSMBU.

Is Nintendo actually pulling all the basics? If I'm on borrowed time before the minimum point of entry is $350 'till the holidays I may just jump. $300 for all that extra stuff included ain't bad, and even with free shipping. I'm gonna buy one eventually anyways :/ ARGH AND THEN THERE IS DONKEY KONG...

EDIT:

Ordering in morning! Do I go with NSMBU or Zombi U? How is local MP in Zombi U?

If you like Nintendo games more, get nsmbu(plus dlc coming). Both are great games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not sure if this is the thread for it...

But Disney Infinity. I'm going to preorder it an get a free figure. I basically missed all of E3, so I'm curious - how does the Wii U version look to perform? And did they confirm offscreen play for it?

Also, are VC games offscreen?

But Disney Infinity. I'm going to preorder it an get a free figure. I basically missed all of E3, so I'm curious - how does the Wii U version look to perform? And did they confirm offscreen play for it?

Can't answer your Disney question, but yes, all VC games released on the Wii U eShop allow off-screen play. Keep in mind, Wii-based Virtual Console titles do not have off-screen play.

I must say that I am very satisfied with WiiU at the moment.

Sure there are a lot of third party games that are missing but there are also a lot of games comming out in 2013/2014 I just dont want to miss.

The first half of 2013 was bad (aside of lego city, NSFU and monster hunter) but I think the second half will be quite okay.

flattie

Does anybody else feel we are about to see the second wave of Wii U consoles go on sale? Here in the UK, two big console retailers (Shopto and Amazon (1st Party)) have not had stock of the 32GB Wii U for a while now. What with the relatively packed 2nd half of the year, I'm kind of expecting a hardware refresh to land soon to support the new games. Maybe not anything as drastic as a price cut, but something along the lines of making the premium white model available alongside the black, possibly including both the spring and summer updates out of the box and also seeing Nintendo Land replaced by some alternative pack in games (W101, Pikmin 3?) for limited runs.

I don't know, I just get the impression that whatever stock is out there right now, could very well just be launch units that retailers are still struggling to burn through and that a refresh is just around the corner.

Also, all of the bomba prices that we saw in March and April for the Premium pack seem to have reversed and normalised back at the £300 point. I don't know if this is an indication of anything other than the lower prices being a failed experiment, but it's worth noting either way.

Just some random thoughts - I know this is supposed to be the satisfaction thread, but it kind of morphed into general Wii U thread a long time ago, hence why I'm posting here.

QaaQer

The browser is really really good.

Fast as hell, which surprises me given the sluggish nature of the the rest of the console. Good job ninty.

ozfunghi

Trine 2 demo is fun. I'm not sure if I'll get the full game.

I did download super metroid for 30 cents. Very good purchase on my part. This is the first time I've ever seriously played it. Now I appreciate how Retro was able to translate prime to 3D.

Get Trine2, for the price it's a great purchase.

QaaQer

There's an option in the controller settings I believe to turn the pad off. Make sure you have your wii-mote ready.

cheers.

I think I'll wait till pro pad support comes to play through nsmbu as I don't like platforming with wiimote and the mirroring of the pad screen is distracting.

wiimote for netflix sounds good enough though.

Edit: Can't use netflix with pad screen off, oh well.

Hey all,

I'm hoping to get a Wii U with Pikmin 3. Is there anyway I can transfer my saves from a Wii to Wii U? Got a Super Mario Galaxy save I want to continue with. I'm hoping to trade in said Wii to help me purchase a Wii U.

Hm. Okay, just to be clear. The link isn't quite clear on this, but if I save game data to an SD card on my Wii and sell that, and insert that SD card into my Wii U, the save will transfer over, correct?

Disney Infinity is one of my most anticipated titles of 2013. Nintendo World Report confirmed Off-TV play HERE - You can also see a Youtube Clip. The trailers are ace, too. It's going to be brilliant!!

Hm. Okay, just to be clear. The link isn't quite clear on this, but if I save game data to an SD card on my Wii and sell that, and insert that SD card into my Wii U, the save will transfer over, correct?
No you to download a transfer app on your Wii cobsole(it's in the shop if I recall correctly) and then run that transfer app to set the transfer up. You need both consoles powered up when transfering.

ozfunghi

I did this just last week: First start up the WiiU in Wii mode. The "transfer app" will already be installed on the dashboard (in wii mode). This app will "prep" the SD card. Once that's done, you boot up your Wii, go to the e-shop, download the transfer app on your wii, and run it after installation. While doing this, it will ask you for the SD card (which needs to be prepped by the WiiU). Your save files will copy to the SD card while showing a Pikmin animation. After that's done, you once again boot up your WiiU in Wii mode with the SD card inserted and run the app again. The animation will start and files will be copied from SD to WiiU (in wii mode).

NOTICE: you can not copy your safe files to SD card BEFORE you prepared your SD card on a WiiU! So you will need to sell your Wii AFTER you transferred your files to WiiU. Or maybe it's possible to prep your SD card on a friends WiiU, copy your wii files, sell your wii, buy a wiiu and copy them to the wiiu...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We decided to lock all satisfaction threads in favor to moving back to game and feature specific threads, especially since we have way more information on each game and service given that E3 is over and news sites have put up stories about everything.

If you feel something you want to talk about doesn't have a thread to talk about it in, simply make one.

We considered all the "satisfaction" threads as a group and decided that, upon consideration, it was clear that as a group they weren't going to contribute positively to the discourse. We're locking all the threads in this category as a group instead of considering them individually; there are better places to talk about anything that's on-topic for any of these threads and we'd prefer you all do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom