• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Well if Wii Sports Resort isn't big budget, what's your objection to them making another?

Who says I object? I certainly don't.

I just don't think that a Wii Sports title is going to have nearly the same impact on Wii U as it did on Wii. The first Wii Sports introduced the masses to Nintendo's vision of active motion controls. Resort shipped bundled with a controller add-on that promised the type of precision people had originally expected from the wiimote. Wii Sports games were the perfect vehicle for Nintendo's new interface and aimed at just the right crowd. The Wii U, however, is a completely different console - with a different focus and primary control interface that doesn't focus on the same level of movement that makes sports mini-games shine.

Of course Nintendo's making another Wii Sports title. But I think expecting it to do exactly for the Wii U what it did for the Wii is naive thinking. In fact, I'll go on record right now and say that I'll be pretty damn surprised if the next Wii Sports sells even half what Resort did.

Wii U Sports probably IS being made (according to that reel from last E3), and the reason is they are seeing the aforementioned sales of Wii Sports Resort and know that even if half of the people who bought it return, that's still 12 million people waiting to buy the next version and a Wii U along with it.

I definitely see Wii Sports coming back. The way I see it, this is a likely set of built-in games:

Chase Mii (expanded with 4-6 maps)
Battle Mii (expanded with 4-6 maps)
Wii Sports Baseball (enhanced with motion plus batting and Wii U pad fielding like in the e3 video)
Wii Sports Golf (The tablet is the tee- like in video)
Wii Sports Bowling (Too popular to not be considered an essential feature. Maybe add in tablet editor to lay out custom pins for challenges)
Wii Sports Tennis or Ping Pong (Also a standard at this point. Not sure on any possible tablet enhancements)

royalan

I definitely see Wii Sports coming back. The way I see it, this is a likely set of built-in games:

Wii Sports Baseball (enhanced with motion plus batting and Wii U pad fielding like in the e3 video)
Wii Sports Bowling (Too popular to not be considered an essential feature. Maybe add in tablet editor to lay out custom pins for challenges)
Wii Sports Tennis or Ping Pong (Also a standard at this point. Not sure on any possible tablet enhancements)

You're indirectly proving my point. The best uses for the tablet you can come up with for a Wii Sports game involve putting it on the floor (no thanks, the "stepped on uPad" youtube videos would be endless) just to show the image of home base or a tee - something that doesn't do much to enhance gameplay at all.

Chase Mii and Battle Mii, on the other hand, are excellent examples of mini-games that showcase unique gameplay only possible with the uPad, but they're hardly sports games, so lumping them in with a Wii Sports game would be a huge disservice to the ideas.

Really, Chase Mii and Battle Mii should come pre-installed on the Wii U's flash drive. In a perfect world, anyway.

udivision

It wouldn't be called Wii Sports, since the game would probably be better suited to doing things other than sports.
EDIT: yea, what he^ said.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing

Also shown in their video is the tablet's ability to simulate catching. A game of soccer or hockey complete with a goalie would highlight both the tablet's uniqueness and isometric gameplay.

Deguello

You're indirectly proving my point. The best uses for the tablet you can come up with for a Wii Sports game involve putting it on the floor (no thanks, the "stepped on uPad" youtube videos would be endless) just to show the image of home base or a tee - something that doesn't do much to enhance gameplay at all.

Chase Mii and Battle Mii, on the other hand, are excellent examples of mini-games that showcase unique gameplay only possible with the uPad, but they're hardly sports games, so lumping them in with a Wii Sports game would be a huge disservice to the ideas.

Really, Chase Mii and Battle Mii should come pre-installed on the Wii U's flash drive. In a perfect world, anyway.

Cut him a break, he's not a game developer. Besides Nintendo was the one who came up with those ideas, because he's just saying what he saw in the same reel I saw. Just because you don't think he's creative doesn't mean nobody else on the entire Earth is.

And youtube videos? Seriously? Because those "I chucked the Wiimote into my TV" videos certainly put a downer on the system's performance in 2006-2007 when anybody actually watched those, didn't they?

I think one thing you might want to consider is that not every game on the Wii U has to use every single function that Wii U can muster at all times. Chase Mii, Battle Mii, and whatever else they come up with for Wii U Play or whatever will show off the Wii U controller's capabilities quite enough. Can't Wii U Sports just be popular and good?

So, reading some Japanese comments on Wii U, some people seemed excited about the ideas/potential, some thought that Vita/PS3 could pull the same thing off, some said they'd have trouble deciding between PS3 and Wii U if games looked like the Zelda demo, one guy said he'd prefer the PS2. A few people mentioning Dragon Quest X/Mario being a system seller for them.
Interestingly, many people want this to be between 25,000 yen and 30,000 (the former being the 3DS's original price), which translates to about US$325. I agree - given the economy and that many gamers in Japan on Nintendo systems are pre-junior high aged children or people in their early 20's a price above that would be prohibitively expensive.

EDIT: Don't forget flinging ninja stars - that could become a Wii U 'sports' title as well. I almost hope that Chase Mii and Battle Mii get cannabilised into concepts for more meaty titles, like Mario 128 was.

Also, someone suggested a 'hide-and-seek' game for kids. I imagine one where the character disappears off the main TV screen and you need to use the gyro to find them. Would also be something you could do with the screen with the TV off.

You're indirectly proving my point. The best uses for the tablet you can come up with for a Wii Sports game involve putting it on the floor

I didn't come up with it. Nintendo did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

I included those because it looked like Nintendo had put enough development into them that they would probably show up again. I added Bowling and Tennis simply because that shit moved units.

Saying Wii Sports has no home on Wii U because it was Wii's thing is like saying they shouldn't have made Super Mario World because 2d Mario was the NES's thing. They're not going to ignore games that print money until they stop printing money.

Also, my "Best Idea" was using the tablet to create trick-shot "Challenge Maps" for bowling. That was the one idea I posted there that wasn't straight from Nintendo's own video.

royalan

I think one thing you might want to consider is that not every game on the Wii U has to use every single function that Wii U can muster at all times. Chase Mii, Battle Mii, and whatever else they come up with for Wii U Play or whatever will show off the Wii U controller's capabilities quite enough. Can't Wii U Sports just be popular and good?

It could be, but I doubt it. To expect Wii U Sports to be just as good as the original would be ignoring what made Wii Sports so magical on the Wii. Everything about Wii Sports just demonstrated Nintendo's uncanny ability to connect a game concept to the essence of their hardware.

And I disregarded the rest of your post because I was in no way attacking Jorok. Of course I know he got those ideas from Nintendo's demo reel. But that's the thing: Jorok isn't a developer, but Nintendo is, and those cheap ideas were what they used to sell the upad.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
No, in a perfect world Battle Mii would be the MP prototype for Star Fox.
Fixed.

If there is another Prime game, I think it would be better if they kept the multiplayer more traditional. Maybe have Federation Troopers vs. Space Pirates. Perhaps Anthony Higgs could make a cameo in the campaign, but I'd like to see that stick with Samus. A meaty single player campaign and traditional multiplayer would send a message that Nintendo is serious about wanting FPS's and western third party support for Wii U. I also see the Battle Mii demo as a way of making Star Fox relevant again. It would be a missed opportunity if they didn't do this imo.

royalan

Why does it have to be Wii Sports? Wii Whatever the hell demonstrate the controller better will do nicely.

It doesn't. That's my point. And I actually don't think Nintendo will crap out a Wii U Sports and call it a day. There will be a Wii U Sports, but it won't be the centerpiece of the console. I think Nintendo will have another title prepped for that. More geared towards gamers, since that's the angle of the Wii U. Battle Mii/Chase Mii :)

Deguello

It could be, but I doubt it. To expect Wii U Sports to be just as good as the original would be ignoring what made Wii Sports so magical on the Wii.

New Super Mario Bros. didn't capture the magic of playing NES on Saturday Morning in 1991 like Super Mario Bros. 3 did, yet I think it came out alright, don't you? Sure am glad Nintendo didn't tie Super Mario Bros. to the NES and send it packing when they made the SNES. (It used the new buttons superficially.)

sinxtanx

Also shown in their video is the tablet's ability to simulate catching. A game of soccer or hockey complete with a goalie would highlight both the tablet's uniqueness and isometric gameplay.

The word you are looking for is "Asymmetric"

And yeah, the asymmetry of multiplayer controls will be what is really going to sell the Wii U.

royalan

New Super Mario Bros. didn't capture the magic of playing NES on Saturday Morning in 1991 like Super Mario Bros. 3 did, yet I think it came out alright, don't you? Sure am glad Nintendo didn't tie Super Mario Bros. to the NES and send it packing when they made the SNES. (It used the new buttons superficially.)

Of course it came out alright. New Super Mario Bros was made, as a mid-gen title (this is important), to promote family-friendly local multiplayer. And it did so wonderfully.

Deguello

Of course it came out alright. New Super Mario Bros was made, as a mid-gen title (this is important), to promote family-friendly local multiplayer. And it did so wonderfully.

I think my issue with this is that I don't see the need for such distinction. Nintendo's going to have a few games that don't fit into the overall "theme" of the Wii U, whatever that may be. Some of them are going to be launch games.

You're making it sound like Wii U Sports is guaranteed to not do half as well as Wii Sports Resort just because Wii Sports fit into the motion control "theme" of the original Wii and, despite most Wii U demonstrations and videos by Nintendo showing not only motion controls, but motion controls in tandem with the new controller and the use of Wii Remotes as well, that Wii U Sports will be seen as unrelatable to prospective buyers or something. Nintendo's not saying goodbye to motion controls. If anything it's one more thing the Wii U does.

If they make a compelling enough experience with Wii U Sports, it can prove to be just as popular as Resort, just like NSMB Wii was able to be as popular as Super Mario Bros. 3 despite it not fitting into the Wii's "theme" of motion controls.

royalan

I think my issue with this is that I don't see the need for such distinction. Nintendo's going to have a few games that don't fit into the overall "theme" of the Wii U, whatever that may be. Some of them are going to be launch games.

You're making it sound like Wii U Sports is guaranteed to not do half as well as Wii Sports Resort just because Wii Sports fit into the motion control "theme" of the original Wii and, despite most Wii U demonstrations and videos by Nintendo showing not only motion controls, but motion controls in tandem with the new controller and the use of Wii Remotes as well, that Wii U Sports will be seen as unrelatable to prospective buyers or something. Nintendo's not saying goodbye to motion controls. If anything it's one more thing the Wii U does.

If they make a compelling enough experience with Wii U Sports, it can prove to be just as popular as Resort, just like NSMB Wii was able to be as popular as Super Mario Bros. 3 despite it not fitting into the Wii's "theme" of motion controls.

Eh, you may be right. I just feel that games like NSMB were tied to a legacy as well as great multiplayer, while Wii Sports as a game was more meant to show off the features of the Wii. Features that will definitely be present in the Wii U, of course, but no longer primary.

And let's not forget, Resort sold over 20 million copies. So half of that would be 10 million, which would still be a very successful game. I just don't think it'll have the same importance as the original Wii Sports, which wasn't just a game, but the "face" of the Wii experience.

EDIT: Unless Wii U Sports come bundled with a second uPad...then of course it'll sell bucketloads.

Terrell

The word you are looking for is "Asymmetric"

And yeah, the asymmetry of multiplayer controls will be what is really going to sell the Wii U.

I'm more interested in the concepts available for asymmetrical player participation.

Non-core gamers were a good thing to focus on to expand the reach of gaming, but the problem is that most of them never expand into core gamers. And it's my feeling that the reason is most non-core gamers aren't able to make the time investment.

As I mentioned in this post in one of the CES threads, "1.5-player gameplay" as I call it becomes an option, with players essentially having cursory experiences with core games alongside an experienced core gamer, could really be a good idea here, allowing non-core gamers to "get their feet wet" in core game experiences without feeling like they have to dive right into the deep end (which is why most of our attempts to recruit new gamers as children failed). It also opens up the single-player experience to being a slightly more social activity (while having the added benefit of replacing AI companions with real people).

The one example I gave in my linked post above is one person driving the getaway car while the other shoots bad guys out of the passenger window. A similar example is turrets on cars. Both of these examples would be a nightmare to produce on one screen, but with the WiiU pad, that is no longer a problem. Anything that could be AI could be replaced by this asymmetric player participation, should you have another person to achieve that.

What say you?

Deguello

I had an idea for an FPS multiplayer mode in which two teams try to assemble an ultimate mega weapon that will instantly wipe out the opposing team once assembled... but it has a really long reload sequence, full of weird animations like shoving a chicken into the chamber, doing a bunch of gratuitous cocking, having to hand crank an inexplicable gas motor, and having to enter a really long code.

I know it's not really related to Wii U... so how about SimCity with the guy with the U Controller playing Sim City and a guy on the TV driving around it. Might be boring though.

Fredrik

The one example I gave in my linked post above is one person driving the getaway car while the other shoots bad guys out of the passenger window. A similar example is turrets on cars. Both of these examples would be a nightmare to produce on one screen, but with the WiiU pad, that is no longer a problem. Anything that could be AI could be replaced by this asymmetric player participation, should you have another person to achieve that.

What say you?
That's a great idea! I'm thinking of a modern version of Slik Worm. One person drives the jeep, one person controls the turret. A radar screen on the big TV and only the turret view on the controller screen would make communication vital. "Look out! A chopper on the left! And two more behind you!" Awesome! :D

Maxrunner

That includes the motion controls. So flying the beetle, where ever your wiimote was point, and by this I mean the angle you were holding it, is considered 0,0,0 so all movements were based on that. It was that way with everything motion controlled in the game.

I had 0 messed up motion controls in my play through.

They worked pretty well, but i agree they need to solve the fact that if the wiimote is faced up it will loose contact with the sensor bar....cant they put a different IR camera that has a 180º vision angle??

And let's not forget, Resort sold over 20 million copies. So half of that would be 10 million, which would still be a very successful game. I just don't think it'll have the same importance as the original Wii Sports, which wasn't just a game, but the "face" of the Wii experience.

I think I can agree with you on this point. My prior point was that I still think they'll pack some version of Wii Sports on the system because they still want to keep that audience, and a couple of the games would actually benefit from the tablet (Like Baseball- If you watch Nintendo's video, using the tablet's screen to secretly choose pitches and its motion functions to catch pop flies works very well,) but that Chase Mii and Battle Mii would be the games that would be on the system to show what it can do.

A new Wii Sports is not going to be a huge system seller on the U.
The system isn't the same, and the focus isn't the same.
They need something new, not just a new set of sports.

budpikmin

I've got to agree with Wii Sports not being the same system seller that it was for the Wii. When Nintendo did it for the Wii it was fresh and almost felt magical. It also perfectly communicated what the Wii was about and resonated with people. I do think that there will be a Wii U Sports title, but it won't have the same impact. Let's not forget that Sony and Microsoft have also been pushing their own motion sports titles. Consumers are going to start getting tired of these games, Nintendo will need a new hook.

MDX

Why not? There are many sport titles that have not been addressed by WiiSports & Resort.
I think you believe that WiiSports is not a brand in itself, lets say like a Mario Party.
I think it is. I think many people really enjoyed these two titles. And would be willing to buy a new version with new sports games, ONLINE play, and a tablet to add an extra dimension to the games.

Imagine playing soccer and the goalie is the tablet.
We have the batter and catcher
A WiiSports version of American football ala Madden.

etc.

Why not? There are many sport titles that have not been addressed by WiiSports & Resort.
I think you believe that WiiSports is not a brand in itself, lets say like a Mario Party.
I think it is. I think many people really enjoyed these two titles. And would be willing to buy a new version with new sports games, ONLINE play, and a tablet to add an extra dimension to the games.

Imagine playing soccer and the goalie is the tablet.

We have the batter and catcher
A WiiSports version of American football ala Madden.

etc.

Imagine all the broken controllers...

Caramello

I agree.

For those in disagreement, I'll clarify that I think a new Wii Sports is a great idea and it will sell well. However I draw the comparison with Nintendogs + Cats in that it just won't have the same impact as the original. Wii Sports is as much indebted to the Wii Remote for its success as the Wii Remote is to Wii Sports and the Wii U controller won't have quite the same impact with a Wii Sports title even with Nintendo behind it.

Asymmetric gameplay has much more potential with the likes of Chase Mii and Battle Mii. Of course Nintendo could find sports suitable for such multiplayer but it's just not the same as the paradigm shift we saw in being able to play a game of virtual tennis as if we were actually playing tennis - Not having to learn anything new like complex button combinations.

I'm really impressed that after close to 7 months i haven't heard or seen one single concept or application for the WiiU that matches the first Wii remote. Now we are salivating at the possibilities of playing Pacman versus again :)

Caramello

I'm really impressed that after close to 7 months i haven't heard or seen one single concept or application for the WiiU that matches the first Wii remote. Now we are salivating at the possibilities of playing Pacman versus again :)

I don't know where you've been hiding but people have come up with some pretty cool ideas that far exceed anything like Pacman Vs.

Besides that, the Wii U controller will add more to traditional games than the Wii remote did so NeoGAF should be generally more excited for the possibilities it presents.

Bumhead

Banned
Wii Sports was the perfect pack in to demonstrate the new motion controls. It was a game built and designed with a very obvious purpose to show people what the system was all about.

If a sports game is what Nintendo can best use to showcase the tablets role then Wii U Sports will be every bit as effective as Wii Sports was. If not, just replace Wii Sports with Wii "Something Else to Demo the Touch Screen" and the same concept still applies.

I do think Nintendo need either a similar pack in or a big first party game that uses the tablet from the off. Wii Sports created an instant connection between the hardware and the user, and I thought the 3DS suffered for not offering a similarly effective showcase of the 3D.

I really hope that they include a final version of the Bird demo running off final hardware. It looked really good at E3 and I'm kinda salivating at the thought of what it could look like running on the potentially more powerful finalized hardware. :D

I don't know where you've been hiding but people have come up with some pretty cool ideas that far exceed anything like Pacman Vs.

Besides that, the Wii U controller will add more to traditional games than the Wii remote did so NeoGAF should be generally more excited for the possibilities it presents.
Maybe for some types of games, would be interesting if you could mention some of them. But speaking of the dominant genre in America right now, shooters, the Wii remote had the potential to do more than anything the WiiU can do. It was mainly for Nintendo's oversight on the HardWare end of the Wii that it didn't become the default control method for the genre.

What in your opinion is the best potential use you have heard Caramello?

jacksrb

I am thinking more along the lines of Wii Vs that would include all of those fun asynchronous multi-player games like Chase Mii and Battle Mii. I do agree that we will see those sports at some time or another, but that it won't be the flagship "see what wii u can do" type of game.

I think that the machine will obviously come packed with some software like 3DS. 3DS had Face Raiders, AR Games and StreetPass Plaza - which itself encompassed the 3D dioramas from the E3 prior, showing what the machine is capable of, and an RPG to show the potential of StreetPass.

I'm expecting there might be:
- minigames (like the Go game shown in the video)
- video chat (if its ready)
- web browser
- a drawing app (or notes function like 3DS)

They might pack in a game that rolls up all of these Battle Mii and Find Mii type games into one larger package -- sort of a "Wii-U Play". I think such a package would be the equivalent of AR games.

Speaking of AR games, I'd really like them to add an outer facing camera to the controller to allow similar gameplay possibilities. Think about it, if you did it right you could even have it read things off the TV screen to generate imagery as well as AR cards or whatever.

I do think a Wii-U Sports will come and I really hope its online. Taking that experience online would make it awesome again, without question. Being able to play Tennis, Bowling and Sword Fighting etc anytime we want with people of our skill level and above, anywhere in the world? C'mon, that'd be awesome.

Turrican3

But speaking of the dominant genre in America right now, shooters, the Wii remote had the potential to do more than anything the WiiU can do.
Definitely.

That's one of the reasons it would a smart move IMHO keeping the wiimote (+nunchuck) support alive now that they're going to launch a more powerful console. That is, assuming between WiiU and PS4/X720 there won't be anything near the huge technical gap we had this gen between Wii and everything else.

I wouldn't mind them bundling a wiimote+ and nunchuck with every WiiU unit...

Pociask

Reading the discussion about what made the Wii a mega-hit, I think everyone agrees that motion controls were a huge part of it. But I think even more to the point, the motion controls served as a vehicle to get a group of people playing a game together. For all the deserved disdain Nintendo gets for failing at online, the Wii this generation succeeded as the ultimate local multiplayer machine. Based on the average titles sold per system, we can also say that was an excellent introduction into console ownership.

So, with the Wii U, Nintendo isn't going to be trying to show off tablet gameplay, per se. They're going to be looking for the next gameplay experience that will get crowds of people together and want to play. In a lot of ways, the consoles that have succeeded have been based on that model. The Wii(with motion gaming), Guitar Hero/Rock Band(with plastic instruments), the PSP(in Japan with local multi MH), and the surging 360(with Kinect). I think it's very unclear if asymmetric gameplay will do this, but that's Nintendo's bet, not the tablet. The tablet is just a part.

This may be a distinction without a difference, but I don't think so.

birdchili

the other thing i think we'll see at launch is a game that brings the game would out of the tv. using the controller like a view into a world that exists all around you (like in the pirate/arrow blocking game they showed) is something that Nintendo has been interested in for a long time and they have a neat way to do this now.

wii remote++ is something that we might see mid-gen with a bundled showpiece game (ala wii sports resort). Nintendo has said that they think the remote+ is perfect as it is, but they'll surely iterate it once they can once again get a substantial increase in precision. how much money did they make on peripherals last gen??? a mid-gen balance board+ doesn't seem unreasonable either (something that could detect lateral movements would add a lot of options). as long as they think that consumers aren't too fatigued to buy another piece of plastic (and they need to be careful here), they'll keep improving them if they've got a good/fun idea to make.

royalan

How many people think Nintendo introduced WiiRelax to initially throw
the competition off? I recall seeing, after the Nintendo announcement a
Sony patent for using emotions to control games:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/sony-patents-ps3-emotion-control-626668

Now, Nintendo is like, well Wii Relax is not 100% ready yet. So unlike Nintendo.

Honestly, I think Nintendo only pulled Wii Relax and the vitality sensor out of the R&D bin to pad out a mediocre E3 showing. Trolling Sony was just a nice bonus.

I'll be surprised if it ever becomes a real retail product.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo isn't shy to troll, sometimes.

I remember Reggie trolling Sony and Microsoft back to back one year.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I wish they would finally release Wii Relax. It would be a killer app for casual gamers, especially being able to use it with out the need of TV (Wii U controller).

It would get a ton of press. Hopefully they have ironed out the kinks.

guek

Banned
Just found this nugget of news from a while back hat I'd forgot about.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/cryengine_to_support_wii_u.html

I wonder if they're planning anything? Imagine if Crytek made an exclusive title for the WiiU's launch. That'd rock a few boats.

Yeah that was awhile ago. It's clear that they've been playing with devkits for awhile and they've said that their devs are excited about the platform. We'll see if anything comes from it. It's going to be interesting to see what happens right out of the gate when it comes to 3rd party support for the Wii U. There's going to be a lot of devs that feel like they can't ignore nintendo this time and that the potential revenue source is just too great to pass up. Others will feel like it's just another nintendo console and their titles wont sell no matter what.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Maybe for some types of games, would be interesting if you could mention some of them. But speaking of the dominant genre in America right now, shooters, the Wii remote had the potential to do more than anything the WiiU can do. It was mainly for Nintendo's oversight on the HardWare end of the Wii that it didn't become the default control method for the genre.

What in your opinion is the best potential use you have heard Caramello?

I think the tablet would offer better precision than the Wiimote for FPSs.

Anth0ny

If we get the slide of logos, Wii U is doomed.

They need to get people on stage.

ouA2P.jpg

YEAH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom