• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I'll say it aloud: I'd rather Sony not get it together and Nintendo end-up having Japan essentially to themselves.
DevilSmiley.gif

After all the shit they and their fans have flung over the past decade-and-a-half.. yes.

Nintendo needs competition to smarten them up.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Do we have a countdown to Nintendo's press conference at E3 yet?
I asked Nintendo of America some weeks ago if they had chosen date and venue for their press conference, but I was just told that this "wasn't announced yet". I don't know if it has changed, but I haven't seen any news regarding this via their press portal anyway. Last year they held their media briefing on the 7th of June, at Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. E3 Expo started on the 7th of June.

http://press.nintendo.com/loginSplash.jsp

Username: guest
Password: nintendo

If anyone wanna browse.

Penguin

Rösti;35261143 said:
I asked Nintendo of America some weeks ago if they had chosen date and venue for their press conference, but I was just told that this "wasn't announced yet". I don't know if it has changed, but I haven't seen any news regarding this via their press portal anyway.

If anyone wanna browse.

Just going to assume Tuesday June 5th at like noon EST

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
With Sony gone, Nintendo's chances of long-term survival increase. That's as simply as I can state it.
I strongly disagree with the long-term prospect: markets that turn into stable monopolies are doomed in the long term. And when the market sinks, the 'dominant species' goes down with the ship, naturally.

TunaLover

Petty fanwars cannot be a good reason for anybody to wish Sony's exit from the console market. For a healthy market you need variety. Nintendo might be the strongest consoles company with the best track record in the industry but they alone cannot make sure the market stays healthy - nobody is immune to mistakes. For everybody's sake, I hope Sony pulls it together.

Are you implying that Nintendo + 3rd party games are not enough to fill the library left by a hypothetical defunct Sony?

Cookychan

Banned
Rösti;35261143 said:
I asked Nintendo of America some weeks ago if they had chosen date and venue for their press conference, but I was just told that this "wasn't announced yet". I don't know if it has changed, but I haven't seen any news regarding this via their press portal anyway. Last year they held their media briefing on the 7th of June, at Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. E3 Expo started on the 7th of June.

If anyone wanna browse.

If only it was that easy to sneak into warioworld.

I personally don't want to see any of them leave the market. Competition is important and needed for a healthy industry. I really like my PS1,2, and 3. I wish Sony had made the PS3 a more affordable system right out of the gate, like the PS1 and 2 were. I think people forget that the PS1 and 2 weren't console beasts, but represented a really nice middle ground of price and performance. I hope Sony remembers this with the PS4, I also hope they find a way to include either the Move or an updated Move with every system. Just like I hope Nintendo includes a Wiimote+ and Nunchuck with every system.

Are you implying that Nintendo + 3rd party games are not enough to fill the library left by a hypothetical defunct Sony?

Probably not, but we've seen how companies can make bad decisions when they essentially have no competition (PS3 and 3DS launches are more recent examples). I'd much rather have a healthy Nintendo, MS, and Sony keeping each other in check than one company being able to totally strong arm the market.

TunaLover

The industry was quite healthy during PS/N64 era, why suddendly quiting Sony off the market makes the industry unhealthy?

There's no evidence that only 2 competitors in the market makes bad for the industry, in fact it was the case in some generations, with only 2 predominant competitors.

HylianTom

Banned
The industry was quite healthy during PS/N64 era, why suddendly quiting Sony off the market makes the industry unhealthy?

There's no evidence that only 2 competitors in the market makes bad for the industry, in fact it was the case in some generations, which 2 predominant competitors.

Yeah.. folks here are forgetting (ignoring?) the fact that there's a third player on the scene - and an incredibly strong, wealthy one at that. While Nintendo might have Japan to themselves, the rest of the world would be in play for both competitors.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No, I'm saying that competition is healthy. The impact for the consumer is not so much in that some games will never be made (that's there, but it's minor), but the major impact will be in the long term. In a healthy market when Player A fumbles everybody else learn from that mistake and Player B takes the lead for the next cycle. Now imagine if Player A was all there was on the market: Player A fumbles - the market crumbles. On the next cycle Player A will have to face a much tougher market - that can form a negative feedback loop with devastating effects on the market - it can reach a state where it needs a restart. Don't forget we're talking entertainment here - people can spend their entertainment dollar on so many things (which is why we have covert-but-massive competition between Apple and Nintendo in the first place).

There's no evidence that only 2 competitors in the market makes bad for the industry, in fact it was the case in some generations, with only 2 predominant competitors.

The market was also smaller back then. However looking back on N64 sales, PS1 was the only healthy home console in the market. So it could be argued that there's no evidence to support only having two "primary" consoles. They combined for roughly 130M+ (PS1 was 100M of that). Sony and MS are on track to do that combined and they aren't close to being first overall.

Rhod

GAF: Where you'll always find people worried that generally highly profitable, cash-rich, international entertainment giants are endangered because other companies also enjoy some success. Or might one day again enjoy some success.

There are tens of millions of people who enjoy Nintendo products, so it's only really Nintendo who can do serious damage to Nintendo, either by poor management (which has nothing to do with any other electronics or entertainment company) or by making bad products (in which case, who would care if they disappeared?).

Azure J

Probably not, but we've seen how companies can make bad decisions when they essentially have no competition (PS3 and 3DS launches are more recent examples). I'd much rather have a healthy Nintendo, MS, and Sony keeping each other in check than one company being able to totally strong arm the market.

This seriously. I'm still sad that SEGA fell off as much as it did back in the days without the hardware side of things keeping them driven. They're better now and creeping back up but it's still not the same.

Microsoft doesn't have a real presence in Japan, so Sony going away would essentially make the market a Nintendo monopoly.

HylianTom

Banned
Microsoft doesn't have a real presence in Japan, so Sony going away would essentially make the market a Nintendo monopoly.

But would that make the entire global industry sick? I'm not quite convinced as to how that would happen. The rest of the world would be "in play" (har har).

Nintendo vs Microsoft doesn't exactly seem like an even fight. Nintendo having Japan in their pocket could even things out a bit, for all we know. The competition worldwide would be fascinating.

udivision

I don't think consoles would have internet functionality as a main feature if it weren't for the Xbox and PS2, even though nintendo had toyed with the idea before. And that would be bad.

Smh at anyone who desires for Sony to leave the industry as a major player. Ridiculous. The PS3 was my fav system last generation. Each company pushes one another.

Smh at anyone who desires for Sony to leave the industry as a major player. Ridiculous. The PS3 was my fav system last generation. Each company pushes one another.

Despite being an nintendo fanboy at heart I have no desperate desire to see Sony leave the game industry though I'd do see it as an inevitability sooner rather than later at least in the form they are in it now

Sony isnt going anywhere. Kaz was chosen as the new leader of Sony of all people.

Ps3 did relatively terrible compared to ps2, vita launch in japan (what would have surely been thought of as its biggest market) has been apocalyptic and isn't looking like it'll be any better in the rest of the world, if ps4 doesn't pull in the numbers from day 1 (and as its looking like it'll be last to launch which won't help matters for them at all) fuck whatever kaz wants there is no way the shareholders will stand for it, I firmly believe Sony will be third party by mid 2014 just in time for gt6 being multiplatform Wiiu/xbox720

Ps3 did relatively terrible compared to ps2, vita launch in japan (what would have surely been thought of as its biggest market) has been apocalyptic and isn't looking like it'll be any better in the rest of the world, if ps4 doesn't pull in the numbers from day 1 (and as its looking like it'll be last to launch which won't help matters for them at all) fuck whatever kaz wants there is no way the shareholders will stand for it, I firmly believe Sony will be third party by mid 2014 just in time for gt6 being multiplatform Wiiu/xbox720

Lol.Saving for crow.

Roo

LOL!
just... LOL!

Where is the lol junior, I've put forward a plausible hypothesis obviously its just my opinion but can you honestly say anything I've said doesn't make sense?

Sony had one of the worst launches ever, launched a year later than the 360, and is still only a few million behind the 360.

HylianTom

Banned

Wow.. way more optimistic than I am. I think Sony'll be around for longer than that.

And yes, ClovingSteam.. shake your head all you want. I've decided to be honest instead of playing the "I'm-so-neutral" wording games that so many company partisans like to play around here. :)

Wow.. way more optimistic than I am. I think Sony'll be around for longer than that.

And yes, ClovingSteam.. shake your head all you want. I've decided to be honest instead of playing the "I'm-so-neutral" wording games that so many company partisans like to play around here. :)

Company partisans? Thought we were gamers who enjoyed games. Guess I was wrong.

IrishNinja

Where is the lol junior, I've put forward a plausible hypothesis obviously its just my opinion but can you honestly say anything I've said doesn't make sense?

Except obviously gt6 being ready in 2014

can you name another sony division with the potential to be as profitable as gaming, which carried them through 2 gens prior?
agreed with cloving that wishing sony (or anyone) to leave the industry is pretty dumb, but im really not following the logic here either. even hemorrhaging billions at launch year (and after the PSN had last year), there's so much fat with no room for potential growth at sony, this division might need some reeling in but it's nowhere near the chopping block, id wager.

wsippel

Banned
Rösti;35258533 said:
As for the Wii U there's not much to say at the moment. I'm expecting a firm reply from Jerald Nagae next week regarding the Wii U trademark issues. He will be back in office on Monday. I'm also contemplating digging some in Panasonic's potential involvement in the making of the Wii U discs. I theorized previously in this thread that the discs for Wii could be based on the ADA discs from Panasonic, as the format (120mm) correlates to what Nintendo mentioned at E3 2011, and max data transfer speed (144 Mbps) is appropriate for next generation: http://panasonic.net/avc/media/ada/lineup.html

Panasonic has been Nintendo's closest partner regarding media discs for Gamecube and Wii, for those that didn't know.
ADA is a direct successor to Panasonic PD (Phase-change Dual), an earlier phase change format for longterm archiving. Nintendo certainly won't use phase change discs. There's no reason to.

Except obviously gt6 being ready in 2014

The reason Sony's game division didn't make any money for years is because they released a console for $200 more than their closest competitor, and they were still selling at a $400 loss. I'm actually pretty amazed at how well they pulled themselves together after that.

Assuming they actually learned something from last time (and looking at the way they designed the Vita, they did), Sony will be fine. Even if the Vita fails I don't see them leaving the console space anytime soon.

I'm not buying into the idea that the two are mutually exclusive. I can both favor Nintendo and enjoy games. Incredible concept, I know.

Yes you can favor one. Doesnt mean you have to wish for the other to get out of the industry. But nice straw man. I'm a Lakers fan. Doesnt mean that I want the NBA to contract the Heat.

can you name another sony division with the potential to be as profitable as gaming, which carried them through 2 gens prior?
agreed with cloving that wishing sony (or anyone) to leave the industry is pretty dumb, but im really not following the logic here either. even hemorrhaging billions at launch year (and after the PSN had last year), there's so much fat with no room for potential growth at sony, this division might need some reeling in but it's nowhere near the chopping block, id wager.

Hemorrhaging billions launch year? Are you aware they lost so much on ps3 they lost all the money the gaming division ever made?

HylianTom

Banned
Yes you can favor one. Doesnt mean you have to wish for the other to get out of the industry. But nice straw man. I'm a Lakers fan. Doesnt mean that I want the NBA to contract the Heat.

I know I don't have to wish for this, but it also doesn't prevent me from wishing so. Not intending to straw man.

wsippel, lherre, bg, anyone please leak something or something so we can talk about something else, lol.

Look on the bright side - we're going to make that new thread goal before GDC at this rate! :)

And are still about 50 million behind in unit sales where they were in this point last generation and don't even get started when it comes to money

PS2 was a sales marvel that more than likely will never happen again on the home console front so I wouldn't compare it to that. After all the PS3 has still outsold pretty much all other consoles in history. I agree about the money, but it's not enough to take them out in just two years from now. We already should know they won't repeat the spending problems they made with the PS3 and that's the only way I see your scenario being able to happen.

PS2 was a sales marvel that more than likely will never happen again on the home console front so I wouldn't compare it to that. After all the PS3 has still outsold pretty much all other consoles in history. I agree about the money, but it's not enough to take them out in just two years from now. We already should know they won't repeat the spending problems they made with the PS3 and that's the only way I see your scenario being able to happen.

Are you forgetting the ps1, I'm pretty sure that sold over 100 million as well, so you can hardly call the ps2 a sales marvel, yeah it sold better than its predecessor but in the same sort of timescale not vastly more, oh and then there is the ds that has sold similar amounts

snesfreak

Banned
I want Sony to become irrelevant.
I don't care how that sounds.
I want them to become what Microsoft is in Japan, a joke.
For all the problems Nintendo has had, with online and whatever.
I'll take them over any other company every damn time.
"599 US Dollars" is exactly the kind of shit that made me hate Sony.

Are you forgetting the ps1, I'm pretty sure that sold over 100 million as well, so you can hardly call the ps2 a sales marvel, yeah it sold better than its predecessor but in the same sort of timescale not vastly more, oh and then there is the ds that has sold similar amounts

And PS2 sold 150M so it was still sales marvel. And as I said HOME console. Anyway, Sony's a long way from disappearing next gen.

By the way, I mentioned the PS1 sales in a post on the last page so of course I didn't forget.

There are tablet devices, handheld devices that offer console like experiences, more home entertainment options now than ever before. No. Its not happening again.

IrishNinja

Assuming they actually learned something from last time (and looking at the way they designed the Vita, they did), Sony will be fine. Even if the Vita fails I don't see them leaving the console space anytime soon.

i don't either, but has there been any word on what kind've loss they look at for each vita sold? i dont dare read anymore vita threads this week, but was curious.

Hemorrhaging billions launch year? Are you aware they lost so much on ps3 they lost all the money the gaming division ever made?

i am indeed, and no one's gonna argue it wasn't boneheaded. whether their long-term strategy of trojan horse-ing blu-ray players into homes corrects a portion of that with royalties/etc isn't something i'm privy to either, but yeah, they lost a metric fuck-ton.

business, however, looks heavily towards growth. they saw PS3 turn around when kaz worked to cheapen manufacturing while bringing the price down, and they've gotta be happy with PSN and PSP returns but see a lot more potential marketshare with DS/3DS sales and XBL gold respectively.
i know as consumers, you'd prolly want to cut your losses rather than double down, but theyv'e still got namebrand recognition and a lotta strength in japan and europe, where MS is weak. on no level does Kaz want to shed that when, again, there's so many better avenues - or, if you were in his spot, do you think you'd honestly want to pull out and focus more on tv, mp3 player, reinvest in phones or some other division? they've bulit too much here already.

I want Sony to become irrelevant.

i feel safe saying: you think you want that, but you don't want the reality of a 2 system generation that follows it. think it through - MS does not act consumer-friendly without competition, and nintendo does not push for 3rd parties and system features now standard when they're left to their own corner.

ps id wager no one hates "599 us dollars" more than sony these days.

*edit
Anymore pathetic than Sony/MS fans wanting Nintendo to go third party because they're "ruining" gaming?

nah, these are equal amounts of pathetic, if i had to quantify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom