• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozfunghi

Except that one's total BS and shouldn't have been included. We got Wind Waker, notTwilight Princess. If you're going to include Twilight Princess, you should show what we first saw of Twilight Princess

errr

It goes like this: tech demo -> actual game available on said system

The fact that there was another game with different art released somewhere along the line does not negate the fact that actual gameplay ended up looking better than the tech demo.

The WiiU games may potentially look awesome, at least judging from that demo, OK, but I don't think all the games will be developed taking advantage 100% of the hardware; I reckon there are huge costs to be taken into some consideration, and I would not put my expectations too high in that regard.
they specifically noted that there will be games that take advantage of the console and games that it won't be 100% necessary, they said Zelda will take advantage of it.

errr

It goes like this: tech demo -> actual game available on said system

The fact that there was another game with different art released somewhere along the line does not negate the fact that actual gameplay ended up looking better than the tech demo.
But the actual game available on said system was Wind Waker. The tech demo had nothing to do with Twilight Princess.

The fact that they can sqeeze out a game such as skyward sword on an upgraded tech from 1998 would only show how much nintendo is capable of using the hardware to its fullest. I wouldn't be surprised that the guys who did the zelda demo were using hardware that was even lower in power than the 360 but are still able to produce a better looking and moving game than all 360 games at the moment. Imagine what they will be able to do when they are using assets at a much higher quality
The spec for wii-U last E3 was certainly above X360/PS3 for all obvious reasons and then some. we could point to the bird demo though.

As for Skyward Sword, the game isn't as impressive as TP is despite wii being more powerful than GC (all the more because of that, actually); the soft shadow tech has been simplified; previously on TP it would create a hollow molding with transparency of the object it was being cast (stones, objects, you name it; on SS it doesn't really mold itself to any extra geometry, it just sticks to the regular ground; it's higher res, but the only reason it was low res on TP was lack of RAM on GC. Shadow tech was definitely more impressive on that one.

The water was also better on TP, it was more varied/had more effects to it, and the game is heavily segmented (the way stuff like jumping from skyloft leads to loading and the landing sites being scripted), TP didn't need a streaming engine in that sense, but SS clearly needed it. Remember the Goron mountain hot water lushness in TP, the regular water, the lake hylia one (pretty, but lacking some effects, underwater specially if you looked up; no doubt because of how vast it was); and the fairy fountain's water. SS by comparison only had one type of water "type", I think.

It feels that, apart from the lush cutscene models, animation and impressionist filter graphics were an afterthought/something they focused on only later on. And that's ok.

It was really a game build with the intention of taking advantage of the complexity added for previous games (for instance, the "local time travel" in the desert clearly makes use of what was originally both the twilight world from TP and midna's circular attacks; and the trials are clearly taken from the Tears of Light segments) the motto for the game was re-use in a meaningful way and to make a game packing loads of content taking advantage of stuff already in place... not really add to it (other than the controls); reason why link still gets horizontally dragged to the pre-set position where the animation for opening doors takes place and stuff like that, because they didn't really mess with the tech in anyway; in fact at places they simplified it (shadows and water as I already pointed).

with TP they were fighting the system to make something really impressive for 2006, Zelda SS? Not so much. It'll age more gracefully only due to having less compression on the textures and more color to it/more cartoony style. It's not really all that impressive.
You have to remember that nintendo already has their artists doing high resolution assets. Those other devs who stumbled are not as good as nintendo plain and simple. It might be better to give nintendo more credit with regards to programming skills and maybe give less credit to middleware for making games on a phoned in engine look as good (or as bad) as they do. I do agree with that nintendo will partner with some companies for some projects, but Nintendo doing this will alo provide these developers extra help releasing some of their knowledge. I can see nintendo once again having a very big advantage about the knowledge of the hardware so they must partner to give other middleware developers a way of making it easier for the rest of the smaller developers.
Nintendo is fine regarding tech; they might use third party tools but it's not like they really need it. Unlike previous generations though, Nintendo didn't hold any information from third party's when it came to the wii, after that it's all a matter of resources and investment.

Regarding their games though, we usually regarded a game that pushed hardware as a system pusher, or if it pushed loads of polygons a polygon pusher; but we never see nintendo going to those lenghts disregarding the core game; hence I usually class Zelda and Mario games as ambient pushers; they could have pushed more polygons on Zelda OoT, but decided to instead add some life to everything, like fishes, butterfly's polen going around, sun glare... All those touches. They weren't cheap on the N64, but added so much more than just adding more geometry.

Nintendo games are never the absolute system pushers, TP didn't push the most polygon's either, but it was balanced as fuck, it managed to do detailed shadows for everything, some AI, have a lush geometry and all that. In short, they're a balancing effort rather than a blind pursue of something... they're all rounders.

And making all rounders ensues developers can always pull something more impressive in some sense, providing they work for it.
It is important for nintendo to make one or two really visually stunning games such as zelda, mario and metroid but what nintendo needs to do is make it easy for the developers to make even more visually stunning games as they do not have the prestige or experience in game mechanics that nintendo games are known to be good for which brings good competition and variety for the consumer. Having good competion will ensure a healthy ecosystem for the platform and might quash the nintendo third party curse. I believe this is why nintendo is teaming up with outside developers such as crytek, vigil, and 4A games to release games on the WiiU early to show other developers what can be done by other developers not just nintendo. Having other publishers also getting in early such as EA, THQ and Ubisoft being able to already come up with new and exciting ideas for existing franchises will also help the smaller developers gain some confidence in maybe bringing their upcoming games to the platform
You're forgetting Nintendo is just part of the equation. The reason third parties sucked on the wii wasn't Nintendo's, it was themselves.

They didn't understand the platform or the market. This time around they have to invest, advertise and not treat it as a secondary platform if they want to succeed on it.
But the actual game available on said system was Wind Waker. The tech demo had nothing to do with Twilight Princess.
Just like the demo of the N64 one didn't have anything to do with OoT; it actually has more to do with Mario 64, seeing the metal cap algorithm/idea came from the knight in that demo.

Then again, in the end, OoT engine was forked and heavily modified from the Mario 64 one, so there's always a connection; but that demo sure didn't turn into OoT.

Similarly; WW and TP actually share the engine, although the graphics overhead was seriously reworked. As for the demo, I know it was done by members of the MM/Zelda team in a short timeframe, but I really don't know if they took anything useful from it or just started from scratch, probably the later.

I'm actually more worried about the controls of a Zelda SS follow-up with that controller.

antonz

they specifically noted that there will be games that take advantage of the console and games that it won't be 100% necessary, they said Zelda will take advantage of it.

Yep a few sites even tried to use Iwata saying not every game requires power but Zelda does as a way of trying to spin the Wii U as being really weak

Really?
It's done like 3.4 Million through December.
Seems in line with Zelda games.

I stand corrected then, besides I'm glad to hear it fared quite well since I'm a Zelda fan since OoT on N64, yet frankly I was expecting it to put charts on fire after, what, perhaps 3 years after its announcement, on the contrary I was under the impression it have had just a lukewarm reception, but I said I might be wrong.

ozfunghi

It also had nothing to do with Windwaker, what's your point? It was a tech demo to show off the hardware. It could have been a complete different game. It wasn't the unveiling of the next zelda.

guek

Banned
I stand corrected then, besides I'm glad to hear it fared quite well since I'm a Zelda fan since OoT on N64, yet I was expecting it to put charts on fire after, what, perhaps 3 years after its announcement, on the contrary I was under the impression it had just a lukewarm reception, but I said I might be wrong.

While sales were OK, it definitely under-performed in japan.

The WiiU games may potentially look awesome, at least judging from that demo, OK, but I don't think all the games will be developed taking advantage 100% of the hardware; I reckon there are huge costs to be taken into some consideration, and I would not put my expectations too high in that regard.

I can say that for every game being developed for every platform right now. Are you trying to say that the zelda demo is not achieveable visually for other smaller developers as it goes beyond physical budget constraints of most developers, or do you mean something else?

Take for example the game Hard Reset., that is a DX9 game and cost peanuts to make compared to other games in the genre. yet looks decent visually running on very moderate hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=488L20UXUKU

I think he was just addressing what was feasible on the GCN hardware, stemmed from the initial impression of the tech demo.

Personally I'm in the camp that wants to see a really well realized art style in the next Zelda, but objectively purely based on what fans seem to want...a "realistic Zelda" like the demo is probably a wise choice marketing wise. But I'd bet that the next real game will look/animate/light nothing like the demo. But I do think a really good balance of great fluid animation with a really tight responsive/precise controls would be great. Sort of a meshing of Demon's Souls movement/weight precision, and Uncharted-type fluidity, if that's even possible in a real game.

An art style like windwaker but with lighting like the current zelda demo would be interesting. The use of candles and projectile spells would be really cool at night.

While sales were OK, it definitely under-performed in japan.

Yes, we know Zelda have been not popular in Japan for ages, and it may have sold well in NA and in some European countries, whereas it has been apparently underperformed in UK.

Anyway, if we assume development costs arise, in my understanding this implies 4 million copies of Zelda are not that a positive result compared to previous iterations.

That's the craziness of HD's development costs, and recently we've had some examples of games that sold quite good, yet they could not break even(e.g. Team Bondi).

I think he was just addressing what was feasible on the GCN hardware, stemmed from the initial impression of the tech demo.

Personally I'm in the camp that wants to see a really well realized art style in the next Zelda, but objectively purely based on what fans seem to want...a "realistic Zelda" like the demo is probably a wise choice marketing wise. But I'd bet that the next real game will look/animate/light nothing like the demo. But I do think a really good balance of great fluid animation with a really tight responsive/precise controls would be great. Sort of a meshing of Demon's Souls movement/weight precision, and Uncharted-type fluidity, if that's even possible in a real game.

I definitely expect the art style to cater more towards a Western audience.

Zelda is plenty popular in japan, the console games are just considerably less popular compared to the handheld versions
I disagree, it's a little better on the handhelds, sure; but considering how high profile it is, I have to stress it's clearly not a big franchise there; even the handheld versions, designed as bridge titles and supposed to have big a sales tail are not million sellers, and their price has been marked down, something we never see in any place that's not japan.

Nintendo is always trying to turn that tendency around, sure. But they haven't succeeded just yet.
But I do think a really good balance of great fluid animation with a really tight responsive/precise controls would be great. Sort of a meshing of Demon's Souls movement/weight precision, and Uncharted-type fluidity, if that's even possible in a real game.
It is.

I assume you're talking about Uncharted 3 fluidity? (I hated the animation on the first one, drake moved like donkey kong, I believe because naughty dog's area of expertise had been cartoony games beforehand, anyway I digress) That's procedural animation, on the 3rd installment, it means the game creates variations of an animation based on various pre-set patterns. It's complex.

Anyway of course it is doable for a Zelda game and something that they'll probably implement seeing Zelda TP was noted as one of the few last gen titles to feature actually skeletal animation; and skeletal animation on 4 points (wolf form) for that matter.

Bald Link with a cyber suit?

You should already know.

hardcorelink.jpg

same. One "normal" art style like in the tech demo, likely the first game, and one stylistic one near the end of the generation. Book that shit.

That I can see happening as well. I think people would be more receptive that way.

I'm actually more worried about the controls of a Zelda SS follow-up with that controller.

Yes it does worry people that a new control scheme will be needed for the next zelda but I think it is fine. Motion control weren't meant to be a replacement or an evolution and adoption from dual analog but and a branching off to provide developers new options. The wii U not only provides another new branch it also brings back the dual analog setup to developers. What i can see happening is that Zelda will become a co-op game due to the possibilities the subscreen can provide.

Each player has a unique character and a unique play scheme or control depending on how the other players choose to play with a combination of subscreen and wiiremote+

same. One "normal" art style like in the tech demo, likely the first game, and one stylistic one near the end of the generation. Book that shit.

Like Windwaker and TP for GC.

Like TP and skyward sword for Wii.

You can bet on it

guek

Banned
I still feel like nintendo should make a an updated wiimote with greater precision and accuracy, call it the motion perfect, and pack it in with the wii u alongside an improved nunchuck. It likely wouldn't be too expensive to produce and any extra costs it would procure would be recouped by opening up yet another controller based revenue stream. It would kind of suck for the consumer because we'd have to replace our old wiimotes for new games that support the perfect, but I don't think there would be that big of a backlash as long as one was packed in with the new system. Nintendo would profit in the long run, devs would be more inclined to support it, and we'd get access to a better motion controller.

TP is a GC game...I'm not even sure what you're arguing
The original post is basically "If this was the first we saw of Zelda on system X, and this was the actual Zelda game that resulted from that, then imagine what we'll get after seeing the Wii-U Zelda demo!" But the second game doesn't fit that, because the actual Zelda game that resulted from the Gamecube Zelda demo was Wind Waker. Wind Waker was the game made from the engine that was made for the demo. Twilight Princess was not.

I can say that for every game being developed for every platform right now. Are you trying to say that the zelda demo is not achieveable visually for other smaller developers as it goes beyond physical budget constraints of most developers, or do you mean something else?

Yeah, that was exactly what I meant.
Higher development costs in my understanding imply it gets more difficult to break even, that's why we've had all those PS3/Xbox360 multiplatform titles, yet many developers have run out of business and many others are possibly on the brink of bankruptcy.

Take for example the game Hard Reset., that is a DX9 game and cost peanuts to make compared to other games in the genre. yet looks decent visually running on very moderate hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=488L20UXUKU

Well, in fact many Wii games look gorgeous, but I suppose that's more to with artistic directions.

It is.

I assume you're talking about Uncharted 3 fluidity? (I hated the animation on the first one, drake moved like donkey kong, I believe because naughty dog's area of expertise had been cartoony games beforehand, anyway I digress) That's procedural animation, on the 3rd installment, it means the game creates variations of an animation based on various pre-set patterns. It's complex.

Anyway of course it is doable for a Zelda game and something that they'll probably implement seeing Zelda TP was noted as one of the few last gen titles to feature actually skeletal animation; and skeletal animation on 4 points (wolf form) for that matter.

I guess what I was trying to say was having both UC3 fluidity without sacrificing too much precision like we see in Souls' games. I don't know if that's doable without it just being better to go for one or the other, you might end up with something that's not as good as either. Unfortunately when we see procedural animation of a main char, we also see a bit of loss in how precisely a player can control them and basically be frame perfect. At least so far, but I'd love for Zelda to be the first to find that unique balance, and most importantly that's something that benefits both the visual appetite and the pure gameplay and feel.

I still feel like nintendo should make a an updated wiimote with greater precision and accuracy, call it the motion perfect, and pack it in with the wii u alongside an improved nunchuck. It likely wouldn't be too expensive to produce and any extra costs it would procure would be recouped by opening up yet another controller based revenue stream. It would kind of suck for the consumer because we'd have to replace our old wiimotes for new games that support the perfect, but I don't think there would be that big of a backlash as long as one was packed in with the new system. Nintendo would profit in the long run, devs would be more inclined to support it, and we'd get access to a better motion controller.

I completely agree, the tech itself was the biggest contributing factor holding back a lot of games. Making it more accurate and precise as well as ratcheting up the gesture recognition/response time would do a world of good for that input. We could actually see motion games that could theoretically be as technical and accurate as any other method.

My thought exactly, sadly I don't thing it's gonna happen though.

Yeah, that was exactly what I meant.
Higher development costs in my understanding imply it gets more difficult to break even, that's why we've had all those PS3/Xbox360 multiplatform titles, yet many developers have run out of business and many others are possibly on the brink of bankruptcy.

Well, in fact many Wii games looked gorgeous, but I suppose that's more to with artistic directions.

I Believe Nintendo is more well aware of this fact than anyone. Iwata himself has mentioned this addressing developers and The WiiU and the 3DS provides that next gen flavour without an exponential budget cost increase to the current one we have now.

Now that the japanese developers have got a hold of better optimised or cheaper middleware their artists visions will not be as contrained when tranferring the assets to the engine. budget costs will not balloon as much if we do not have to go for a resolution increase above 720p/1080p If we can get back to to developing middle budget games and releasing them as middle budget titles or available for direct download even for consoles then a small developer or indie renaissance can happen just like it is happening right now for the PC. The PC is having somehwat of a huge revival thanks to the indie scene and these high quality low budget games. We need the same thing to happen in the console ecosystem.

Shion

The original post is basically "If this was the first we saw of Zelda on system X, and this was the actual Zelda game that resulted from that, then imagine what we'll get after seeing the Wii-U Zelda demo!" But the second game doesn't fit that, because the actual Zelda game that resulted from the Gamecube Zelda demo was Wind Waker. Wind Waker was the game made from the engine that was made for the demo. Twilight Princess was not.

That was a tech demo, not an engine. I don't think that Wind Waker has anything to do with it.

ReyVGM

What the hell? Wind Waker did not "result" from that demo. That demo was a real time movie, it had no "engine" to build a game from.

The point of those comparison pics is to show that while the initial Zelda tech demos looked impressive, the actual games released ended up looking much much better.

The reason I didn't put Wind Waker is because the art style is completely different.

Zelda is not big in Japan. It never was.

Actually I recollect first Zelda games were pretty popular in Japan, and Ocarina of time has sold decently - incidentally it has sold quite well on 3DS too - but since then I gather most recent Wind waker and Twilight princess have performed badly there for some reasons, unlike on handheld consoles.

goomba

Banned
I'm wondering with talk that Sony are looking into a 3D camera for PS4 that the WiiU will lack a key feature that both the next xbox and ps systems will have, which could hamper 3rd party support.

Actually I recollect first Zelda games were pretty popular in Japan, and Ocarina of time has sold decently - incidentally it has sold quite well on 3DS too - but since then I gather most recent Wind waker and Twilight princess have performed badly there for some reasons, unlike on handheld consoles.

Probably due to how poorly GC sold and Wii still being new following a poor selling console.

Yes it does worry people that a new control scheme will be needed for the next zelda but I think it is fine. Motion control weren't meant to be a replacement or an evolution and adoption from dual analog but and a branching off to provide developers new options. The wii U not only provides another new branch it also brings back the dual analog setup to developers.
I see where you're coming from, but I still have my reserves; SS was a step onto a different kind of zelda that I enjoyed, I felt in some sense they ran from solving problems like the overworld thing, that they'll have to address, but it worked pretty well so I'd like to see a spiritual sucessor to it, in order to perfect it. I think wii U turns that into a dificult assignment seeing they'll probably have to compromise.

On the other hand, and this is more general, not related to Zelda; I believe we're going too fast; 3D needed two generations to achieve a certain level of maturity (imo there's not many "regular" games whose gameplay this gen couldn't be recreated on a 128-bit console), I genuinely believe we could have another generation to perfect the wii concept and only then needing something else because that "core mechanic" has been perfected.

I honestly think the concept to present then could be the wii U, but we have to have in mind that this concept could change the way things work.

My point being: current gen consoles are limited at this point, but still can recreate pretty much anything that the wii-u/current PC's will do/are doing running on a game per game basis; the question being how far the developers want to go (I'd like to point out how Xenoblade managed to be so ambitious on a underpowered console) current gen developers are shrinking the scope of their games so they can pull better local detail (doom 3 logic) but they also could do so much more with it.

My point is, at this point power doesn't really matter anymore, hence why Nintendo chose to bid for something new; the wiimote. The competitors recently had to do the same thing, and will have to do it for the next console; because power is not what's gonna sell them anymore (I'd also point out that Sony seemingly didn't understand this just yet looking at Vita and how they couldn't make it a focused product on some functionality rather than focusing on graphics and adding everything else they could think of)

wii U, though, changes that paradigm; it's a thing with the potential of having various controllers plugged to it so the first thing you'll want to do is having 4 controllers and player one being able to do mario kart co-op with a friend, a third gamer playing some tetris/angry birds from the wii-u-ware store and a fourth playing a virtual console/wii game. It's a game streaming workstation; except it can't really be executed this gen, because they brought back the power paradigm, from the situation any game is doable for the ballpark the platform is in, to the fact that the platform lacks the power to do so.

As a result wii-u can only be done properly when OnLive-type setups become viable or when the platform is so dammed powerfull they can assign 1/4 of the power to each app, allowing 4 people to do different things on it, and still developers not feeling like they're very limited with that cap.

I don't have solutions, I just think it's probably too soon for the idea to be executed as it should; same was true for the wiimote in 2006 actually, it took the wiimotion plus to be able to do well most of the things the original controller unveilment video promised; and it could be improved further.
What i can see happening is that Zelda will become a co-op game due to the possibilities the subscreen can provide.
Hmm... I doubt Nintendo is thinking of anything like that; unless it's a new 4 swords move/thing.

They wouldn't make a main title, main quest dependent of that.
Each player has a unique character and a unique play scheme or control depending on how the other players choose to play with a combination of subscreen and wiiremote+
That sounds like a MMO of sorts, no?

Actually remember discussions of those possibilities after E3 2004, seeing the trailer featured hords of orcs and fighting them horseback and the series had various races already (I also believe that would have been around the time WoW was taking off).

Yeah it could work, but I wouldn't be interested; that's not zelda for me.

One of the things that really thrilled me on SS was how they turned enemies into puzzles; that was very zelda-ish. I don't see how they could pull something like that in a cooperative scenario of one on one or something mmo.

Then again, something 4 swords or lost vikings'ish could be other story. (as an extra mode/spin-off)

ReyVGM

Problem is the first 2 Zelda games came out in Japan for the FDS and the FDS did not sell nearly as well as the Famicom.

So for most Japanese players, the first Zelda they really experienced was the Super Famicom one.

Probably due to how poorly GC sold and Wii still be new following a poor selling console.

I meant, I reckon - correct me if I'm wrong - that Ocarina of time, Wind waker and Twiligh princess are somehow more appealing to Western market, mostly in NA where Zelda's franchise is quite huge, than Japan, regardless of hardware sales.

?oe?oe

Who cares if TP came after WW. The point is still valid. In fact, Wind Waker looks better than both Twilight Princess and the Tech Demo so...

I meant, I reckon - correct me if I'm wrong - that Ocarina of time, Wind waker and Twiligh princess are somehow more appealing to Western market, mostly in NA where Zelda's franchise is quite huge, than Japan, regardless of hardware sales.

I feel they are, but only 4M GCs being sold in Japan didn't help WW and TP either.

I guess what I was trying to say was having both UC3 fluidity without sacrificing too much precision like we see in Souls' games. I don't know if that's doable without it just being better to go for one or the other, you might end up with something that's not as good as either. Unfortunately when we see procedural animation of a main char, we also see a bit of loss in how precisely a player can control them and basically be frame perfect. At least so far, but I'd love for Zelda to be the first to find that unique balance, and most importantly that's something that benefits both the visual appetite and the pure gameplay and feel.
I understand.

Seeing that, from what I understand, procedural animation comes from combination of various animation patterns chosen randomly then the result, as a means to not lose accuracy should be that the source animations are not that different from each other or end the same way. But that would probably make them all very similar making it useless.

Like you pointed, it's certainly a balance that needs to be found.
I completely agree, the tech itself was the biggest contributing factor holding back a lot of games. Making it more accurate and precise as well as ratcheting up the gesture recognition/response time would do a world of good for that input. We could actually see motion games that could theoretically be as technical and accurate as any other method.
I also agree.

The wiimote doesn't have so much of a precision problem for what it is; but it'll have it on HD resolutions; for starters the pixel per pixel accuracy of the camera is 1024x768 which is perfectly fine for 480p anamorphic resolutions, but lacking for 720p pixel per pixel pointing let alone 1080p.

To make things worse, the controller often needs to be recalibrated when using wiimotion plus because the camera looses sight of the sensor bar for too long; the PSMove avoids this by having a huge colored ball protuding from the controller so the camera always see's it, but the wiimote isn't designed like that the camera is inside the controller stuck inside the black plastic on top; if the angle isn't ideal (as in pointing into the telly) then it's only normal for it to get lost eventually.

Not to say the PSMove is better, the camera is a PlayStation Eye with 640x480 and it's not stuck on the controller, rather the other way around so it's way worse for pointing accuracy. But they could improve the wiimote quite a bit to circumvent it's limitations, no doubt. And I hope they would.

They could allow you to use the original controllers with a lower accuracy and knowing you'd have to recalibrate more often and still maintain compatibility; I somehow hope they do this (but I doubt it)

ozfunghi

No it's not. I already explained this in my first post. The pictures show images from tech demos, showing off the hardware of the new console, followed by a game, looking better than the tech demo for the same hardware/console. It just so happens the examples shown were all Zelda themed tech demos and zelda games.

By the way, TP was based on the same engine as WW, in case you were wondering.

Anth0ny

Why at GDC?
That's totally an E3 game.

GDC is famous for unveiling new Zelda games/showing new footage. They also showed Mario 3D Land for the first time last year. I think we could have seen it.

The question is, New LOZ for 3DS or Wii U? I'm leaning towards 3DS at this point, as it seems like it's going to be a 2D game. That being said, I loved FSA, and I think a new 2D Zelda could look gorgeous in 1080p.

EDarkness

Who cares if TP came after WW. The point is still valid. In fact, Wind Waker looks better than both Twilight Princess and the Tech Demo so...

This is just a matter of taste. I really hated the look of Wind Waker and I'm glad they changed it. It's the only Zelda I've never beaten and I'm not sad about that fact.

MAtgS

Except that one's total BS and shouldn't have been included. We got Wind Waker, notTwilight Princess. If you're going to include Twilight Princess, you should show what we first saw of Twilight Princess
The point was the systems in question were able to have games better looking than their respective tech demos, at least as far as LoZ is concerned. It didn't matter when TP came out or what other Zeldas came before, but the mere fact that it still did came out on GCN.

The question is, New LOZ for 3DS or Wii U? I'm leaning towards 3DS at this point, as it seems like it's going to be a 2D game. That being said, I loved FSA, and I think a new 2D Zelda could look gorgeous in 1080p.

It's not a question. The next Zelda game announced will be for 3DS. (They do seem to be teasing, ever so slightly for a reveal with the Swapnote).

And what's all this about it 'seeming' like a 2D game?

shnord

Neo Member
A top-down Zelda on Wii U would be awesome with a day/night cycle and advanced lighting. I can picture walking by a LttP-style house at night with yellow light spilling out of the windows, casting Link's shadow as he jogs past.

and stuff.

ReyVGM

A top-down Zelda on Wii U would be awesome with a day/night cycle and advanced lighting. I can picture walking by a LttP-style house at night with yellow light spilling out of the windows, casting Link's shadow as he jogs past.

and stuff.

You can be sure that for the Wii U Zelda, they'll have sections where you'll play in top-down view on the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom