• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sardello

You found these parts discouraging in what way?
In different times, all these statements would have been considered as OBVIOUS THINGS to keep in mind when launching a new console.

With Nintendo nothing is obvious...

I'm in the pessimistic side of the moon.

But still don't care too much as far as I'm looking forward for Nintendo HD games.

Coolwhip

Banned
They should just make the next zelda game in the style of Legend of Zelda:LTTP. You get dropped into a big world, with a topdown view with no instructions or handholding. I'd buy that.

ExReey

Those are the words of Gearbox Software President Randy Pitchford. He and his company are hard at work on a Wii U build of Aliens: Colonial Marines, a version of the game that, based on the system's (alleged) horsepower and potential for innovation, could very well end up as the definitive edition of A:CM.

“We’ve been developing a number of interesting features using the unique capabilities of the controller and the hardware. We’ll talk about these details in due time as the work is still very much an R&D project and things may change. Clever people that are familiar with the brand can imagine some of the more obvious, interesting things we can do.”

A:CM Motion tracker on the WiiU screen?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You found these parts discouraging in what way?

In my opinion the GearBox sentences are both encouraging and scaring at the same time :p
it's clear from their words that Wii U is more powerful than current gen and that can handle very good results, especially considering also the streaming on the tablet. plus, it's clear that there is a dialogue between third parties and Nintendo on the final specs of the HW (and no, it's not so normal for a Nintendo platform), and that Nintendo is at least trying to consider how to improve the final specs to meet some of the expectations.
I think that it's quite obvious that Wii U will NOT be the "PS3" of the next gen, but let's say that it could be possible to be the "Ps2" of the next gen (and not the Wii)

DrWong

Fantastic read, thanks.

Yep ! Thanks !

huh? that article was published on the 23th...gearboxes comments may not be quite new but the article is...

It was posted online a few days ago, true, but the interview comes from an old Ninteno Gamer magazine issue, the 66, published month ago (around summer 2011 I guess, after E3). So nothing really relevant right now, even if it's an interesting read.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/02/23/gearbox-president-on-aliens-colonial-marines-for-intriguing-wii-u/

Gearbox President on Aliens: Colonial Marines for 'Intriguing' Wii U
Posted by: Rocco DeMaro | 02/23/2012 at 01:00pm

“The controller of the Wii U is obviously where there is new opportunity for innovation in interactivity. Meanwhile, our hope at Gearbox is that the final specification for the hardware is much more powerful than the current competitive consoles so that studios like ours can bring a better standard of high definition image not only to television, but to the controller’s screen at the same time.”

Those are the words of Gearbox Software President Randy Pitchford. He and his company are hard at work on a Wii U build of Aliens: Colonial Marines, a version of the game that, based on the system's (alleged) horsepower and potential for innovation, could very well end up as the definitive edition of A:CM.

“We’ve been developing a number of interesting features using the unique capabilities of the controller and the hardware. We’ll talk about these details in due time as the work is still very much an R&D project and things may change. Clever people that are familiar with the brand can imagine some of the more obvious, interesting things we can do.”

Nintendo Gamer landed some time with Mr. Pitchford, who had this to say on the Wii U's much-discussed and still very much in-flux final hardware specs.

“Out of respect for our friends and partners at Nintendo, I think specific technical details regarding the hardware should come from them,” he said, adding, “we’ve been intrigued by what we’ve seen so far and are encouraging Nintendo to go as aggressively as they can afford with the performance specifications. We imagine that performance specifications are within affordable reach that would provide undeniable performance advantages over competitive platforms. Nintendo have a lot more experience than we do in managing the balance between performance and cost with their hardware, of course, so I do not want to be presumptuous.”

On Gearbox's preference for more power:

It’s natural for us to wish for the most power possible. I imagine that the extent to which the Wii U outperforms the PS3 and 360 is the extent to which Nintendo have an opportunity to motivate hardcore gamers to prefer their new platform over the existing ones. I believe that Nintendo are aware of this and it’s clear from certain aspects of the design that have already been made public that attracting the interest of the kinds of gamers that currently prefer the PS3 or 360 is likely part of their objective.

On the Wii U's opportunity to make a splash with third-party developers, a notorious weak spot for Nintendo:

I think Nintendo’s biggest opportunity with this console, though, lies in having third-party game makers that can turn out to reliably be as successful or more successful making games for their system as they can be through making games for Sony or Microsoft’s hardware. I think Nintendo can do something to encourage that, but it requires them using their resources to promote the third-party games as strongly as they promote their own. I imagine that would be a cultural challenge, but if they can achieve that they can have the power of the entire creative industry on their team.

I don't read that as very encouraging :-(
I think the part that isn't very encouraging are the parts I bolded. If you are of the belief that system is on par or slightly more powerful than PS3/360, then you read it with a different perspetive. It sounds like he's pleading to Nintendo to make the system more powerful. If it isn't powerful enough, he doesn't think hardcore gamers will adopt it and that it may not be as successful as he and Nintendo hope.

ozfunghi

I think the part that isn't very encouraging are the parts I bolded. If you are of the belief that system is on par or slightly more powerful than PS3/360, then you read it with a different perspetive. It sounds like he's pleading to Nintendo to make the system more powerful. If it isn't powerful enough, he doesn't think hardcore gamers will adopt it and that it may not be as successful as he and Nintendo hope.

Well, to me this:

I imagine that the extent to which the Wii U outperforms the PS3 and 360 is the extent to which Nintendo have an opportunity to motivate hardcore gamers to prefer their new platform over the existing ones. I believe that Nintendo are aware of this and it’s clear from certain aspects of the design that have already been made public that attracting the interest of the kinds of gamers that currently prefer the PS3 or 360 is likely part of their objective.

reads like: "it's more powerful already".

How much more? They want it to be more powerful yet. Ofcourse. That could mean anything from the early 50% to the 2x more powerful. For developers, that's not a generational leap, but it does fall in line with expectations. Still, this is all pure subjective, but to me that doesn't read like "we have to downscale games of 360 to run on it", like Arkam says is the case with their devkit.

True, but I want to play it on my tv like in the good old days. Maybe they can release it on both like Smash Bros.

hopefully they release some games like that on NintendoNetwork as a Uplay title that can be played on wii and NDS. I happily envisage a new type of indie style scene coming from developers in japan in the beginning then spreading to the west. We will probably see many 2d top down small rpg's and maybe hopefully we get some terraria style games one day or something like tomb raider and the guardian of light.

I really hope nintendo changes their mind about being more open to small low budget developers not to be a melting pot of crap like iOS or Android but like STEAM and its rich chest full of indie style games. There have been many Wiiware titles that were really great. They just needed a good online system and thos egames would have sold a ton if given enough exposure. It is funny that the older I get the less time I have for big games and I completely welcome these quality but smaller budget games that have that arcade pick up and play ring about them. Having this available on the WiiU and local subscreen will just be a godsend local multiplayer will also be cool using two Subscreens

Coolwhip

Banned
Is there any info on playing classic games on the WiiU? It would be great to be able to play those on the tablet while others people are using the tv. Can you take all the games you bought on the Wii to the WiiU for example.

boiled goose

good with gravy
To me this is the most interesting part:

I believe that Nintendo are aware of this and it’s clear from certain aspects of the design that have already been made public that attracting the interest of the kinds of gamers that currently prefer the PS3 or 360 is likely part of their objective.

They understand.
Nintendo has said repeatedly that they are going after the core audience. If WiiU is not a meaningful improvement over PS360, why will these core gamers by a WiiU? It just doesn't make any sense. If Wii U is a last gen console, they will not get the core gamer except for maybe retaining the Nintendo core gamers, which amount to probably less than 10M at this point given sales of the gamecube and recent core nintendo franchises.

The only thing I find confusing is how in the world do they not have final kits yet...
Most developers didn't get final 3DS dev kits until after E3 2010, and at that time the system was still slated to launch in winter 2010. Same thing happened with Wii, they didn't get the final dev kits until after E3 2006. Nintendo knows that last minute changes (like the Wii Remote speaker) will leak if they hand out the systems on mass too early, and developers don't need final dev kits until the very last stages of game development. It also takes a lot of time to build those dev kits, they are put together by hand at Nintendo, not mass produced by some Chinese factory.

Having said that, I'm sure some developers do have final dev kits by now. Nintendo trusts certain developers more than others, and knows which ones won't leak a damn thing.

Anybody else think it'd be awesome if they announced a Next-gen Smash MP beta pass with each launch console sold? To be released within 6 months-to-a-year of the launch date, or alongside a "Smash Trilogy HD Online". It would be HUGE.

I can't help but think a well marketed, well publicized and and well received online event like that could be Nintendo's Halo-esque MP experience, if the netcode was great obviously.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Well, to me this:

reads like: "it's more powerful already".

How much more? They want it to be more powerful yet. Ofcourse. That could mean anything from the early 50% to the 2x more powerful. For developers, that's not a generational leap, but it does fall in line with expectations. Still, this is all pure subjective, but to me that doesn't read like "we have to downscale games of 360 to run on it", like Arkam says is the case with their devkit.

If you take into context with the rest of what he said, it sounds like he is pushing them for more power or else the WiiU won't be as successful as they want. To me it sounds like he knows Nintendo are going after hardcore gamers and that to do it they need a more powerful system. He's encouraging them to make it more powerful.

You can read this two ways imo.

1. The system was already powerful enough and devs are simply trying to eek out more from Nintendo.

or

2. The system was underpowered compaired to what third parties are expecting from a next gen system and they are trying to get Nintendo to change their specs to fill their needs.

Regardless of which of those ways you interpret it, the interview is apparantly pretty old. Based on the info we've seen around here, I have every reason to believe Nintendo did infact beef up their specs. To what effect it will actually result is what we're waiting to find out.

For me personally, I've been of the opinion for quite a while that it's going to be a stop gap, but enough of a leap for first party titles and some exclusives to look better than anything we've seen so far out of consoles. Whether it's enough to pull in 360/PS3 owners I'm not so sure of though. Although that might be Nintendo's intention, every signal I've seen indicates that may be a lot harder than they anticipate. I've seen this happen too many times to get my hopes up.

Do people in this thread still believe Nintendo would allow Retro to touch the Zelda series?
on a consoles.
Sure. I don't get your spoiler; if anything they'd be more likely to do so on home consoles, since both Nintendo home consoles and Zelda games are bigger in the west.
Unless someone mistranslated him saying they might be a good fit? It's not like the quote outright confirms anything, at all.
He does have a history of sometimes suggesting things that turn out to already be happening, though. Like saying Dinosaur Planet would work as a Star Fox game.
DXB-NIGHT said:
If Retro took console Zelda and Greezo took handheld Zelda what does this leave for the biggest team in EAD?
It's not like Retro doing a Zelda would stop the current Zelda team from doing one, too--it took them five years to go from Twilight Princess to Skyward Sword; it wouldn't have been a problem if some other group's take on Zelda was released in 2008 or 2009.

wsippel

Banned
Some new Wii U stuff from TLS Singapore:

Development Kit CAT-DEV-V42
Bluetooth 4.0+ EDR Module WIN-B3
802.11bgn WIFI Module WIN-A2

Seems the current devkit is version 4.2. But there's also a weird, slightly older devkit named "DK-DEV-V5". Also by Nintendo, of course.

Regardless of which of those ways you interpret it, the interview is apparantly pretty old.

On what are people basing this "old interview" info? Real evidence, or just conjecture based on the claim that new Wii U kits are more powerful?

I'd honestly like to know, the article was dated 2/23 and does not give any other info about when it occurred.

tkscz

On what are people basing this "old interview" info? Real evidence, or just conjecture based on the claim that new Wii U kits are more powerful?

I'd honestly like to know, the article was dated 2/23 and does not give any other info about when it occurred.

only a few days old. Gametrailers get their news pretty damned late. Usually a few hours, sometimes a few days. So not really old news.

D_prOdigy

It's from an issue of NGamer from the summer of year. I'm looking at it now.

Also, those who bless themselves with the power of reading will find that the original article does indeed give "other info about when it occurred"

This article originally appeared in issue 66 of Nintendo Gamer.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/02/22/aliens-colonial-marines-wii-u-randy-pitchford-interview/

Well look-ee there.

Nintendo-gamer.net wasn't where I originally saw the article, but OK. So it is true.

Edit: that actually explains a lot, such as it's probably getting too late in the game to make major changes.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Here's an interview they did with IGN. Please remember that this was at E3, so things could have changed.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1180954p1.html

IGN said:
During a recent interview with IGN AU, Gearbox Software co-founder and chief creative officer Brian Martel weighed in with his thoughts on Nintendo's next hardware offering.

"Right now we're still finding out what kind of final tech specs the Wii U is going to have," said Martel.

"But we like the system a lot; we think it's going to be a really cool stop-gap in between this generation and the next generation. We think it's really smart of Nintendo, and the fact that as a platform it's a lot more capable for hardcore first-person shooter-style gaming – for us that's fantastic."

Martel went on to talk about how the Wii U hardware and controller could potentially benefit Gearbox's upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines.

"We've got the [Aliens: Colonial Marines] engine running on the Wii U, and as far as the console goes, you're going to see textures at a resolution that you haven't seen on [the current] generation," said Martel.

"But the thing we're most excited about is: what can we do with the controller? So the obvious thing for us is that we can do the motion tracker [on the controller screen], or the sentry gun information – all that kind of stuff. That stuff is really sexy for us. Getting the information off the screen and onto this device is a fantastic idea, right? So can we have a HUD-less environment? Yeah, probably. That would be fantastic, right?"

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, I'm just trying to keep people's thought's more realistic. Aside from the people posting info around here, we also have Michel Ancel (Rayman/BG&E) saying the same thing. That doesn't mean things couldn't have changed and that the system isn't more powerful now. I'm just saying people shouldn't expect a massive jump over 360/PS3.

Coen

While listening to the used-games-sales debate mentioned it another topic, I was wondering if the recently announced NFC support will be used as an anti-piracy/anti-used-games-sales measure. Nintendo could potentially tag every retail box, effectively circumventing the need for online passes and other anti-piracy measures. Just a thought.

While listening to the used-games-sales debate mentioned it another topic, I was wondering if the recently announced NFC support will be used as an anti-piracy/anti-used-games-sales measure. Nintendo could potentially tag every retail box, effectively circumventing the need for online passes and other anti-piracy measures. Just a thought.

As an antipiracy measure that's genius

This has been brought up before.
Pretty much every major developer would love this, but I'm not so sure that it'll ever happen.
Especially not with Nintendo being so chummy with Gamestop.

Here's an interview they did with IGN. Please remember that this was at E3, so things could have changed.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, I'm just trying to keep people's thought's more realistic. Aside from the people posting info around here, we also have Michel Ancel (Rayman/BG&E) saying the same thing. That doesn't mean things couldn't have changed and that the system isn't more powerful now. I'm just saying people shouldn't expect a massive jump over 360/PS3.

Depends on what you consider a massive jump.
And it also really depends on what Sony and MS do with their next systems.
It's not going to be this ultra beast with an Octo-core CPU and a 7980HD under the hood.
But it's also not going to just be on the level with the 360.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.

As you said that interview was from E3, it is well know that kits at that time were underclocked and had serious issues with the controller Numerous sources have since stated that current kits have increased in power.

You are going to be disappointed if you expect a massive jump in any console, it's just not possible.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Depends on what you consider a massive jump.
And it also really depends on what Sony and MS do with their next systems.
It's not going to be this ultra beast with an Octo-core CPU and a 7980HD under the hood.
But it's also not going to just be on the level with the 360.

We've touched on it a bit, but I think a big indicator was the mock up IGN built. People seem to blast me for referencing it, but it's the only gauge we've seen for what to expect. Whether or not IGN was given a list of off the shelf parts for estimated performance or parts that were closest to what would be in the Wii U itself will have a big determining factor on how much more powerful Wii U will be than IGN's prototype.

What I found interesting was that every game they tested ran at native 1080p and had crisper textures over 360/PS3. This lines up with what Gearbox are saying. Higher resolutions alone demand more processing power even if the end results are only minor or the same. So to me this is a good indicator on what we might expect. For me this is fine. I'm completely happy with that level of graphics, especially for Nintendo games.

Right now we don't know enough about the next Xbox or PS4 to say a whole lot, but I expect them to be a massive jump. Sony in particular seem to be setting the bar high and we've heard terms like "Avatar graphics" so even though we know it's not attainable, at least we know that they're aiming high. Nintendo once again seems to be going for the overall experience.

I think it's worth noting also the target price and size of Wii U. All of this has an impact of what kind of performance we can expect. We know the system will be small, but I also think the sweet spot will be $299. After the 3DS debacle, I don't think Nintendo wants to price themselves out of the market. They have to price it to not only be competitive with 360/PS3, but also the PS4/nextbox.

We've touched on it a bit, but I think a big indicator was the mock up IGN built. People seem to blast me for referencing it, but it's the only gauge we've seen for what to expect. Whether or not IGN was given a list of off the shelf parts for estimated performance or parts that were closest to what would be in the Wii U itself will have a big determining factor on how much more powerful Wii U will be than IGN's prototype.

What I found interesting was that every game they tested ran at native 1080p and had crisper textures over 360/PS3. This lines up with what Gearbox are saying. Higher resolutions alone demand more processing power even if the end results are only minor or the same. So to me this is a good indicator on what we might expect. For me this is fine. I'm completely happy with that level of graphics, especially for Nintendo games.

Right now we don't know enough about the next Xbox or PS4 to say a whole lot, but I expect them to be a massive jump. Sony in particular seem to be setting the bar high and we've heard terms like "Avatar graphics" so even though we know it's not attainable, at least we know that they're aiming high. Nintendo once again seems to be going for the overall experience.

I think it's worth noting also the target price and size of Wii U. All of this has an impact of what kind of performance we can expect. We know the system will be small, but I also think the sweet spot will be $299. After the 3DS debacle, I don't think Nintendo wants to price themselves out of the market. They have to price it to not only be competitive with 360/PS3, but also the PS4/nextbox.

Hyperbole in the vein of "Toy Story Graphics".
It's just them saying "OMG! WE'RE SO COOL! LOL!"
Sony or MS going balls to the walls with tech would be pure suicide. This is not 2005/6.
In 2013, gas will be closing in on $6 a gallon in many places and people are going to be far more frugal.
Trying to make a system that costs over $300 is crazy.

How does the file date compare to Wii U patents? (Haven't really been paying attention to any of the patents.) If it's before any Wii U patents, Nintendo could have just been using the 3DS as a placeholder graphic. Unless it specifically states something like "method by which a portable gaming system can be used as an input device for a home console, blah blah" it's not necessarily confirmation. Even if it does say something like that, it doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo has to use it. But yeah, I'm sure they've mentioned it and I totally expect it to happen.

Well I'm not a patent master or anything so I could be mistaken, but the oldest Wii U-related patent I could find has a filing date of Feb. 2, 2011. (includes wiimote and Upad)

The one that adds a 3DS to the equation, has a filing date of Aug. 12, 2011.

(Upad is there just not shown here)

Is there a chance Nintendo will try to "push" the 3DS as a Upad alternative, considering the relatively high cost to own a second one?

I mean the 3DS matches most Upad's features right? (input-wise at least)
Touch, accelerometer, gyro, camera, mic, IR, etc.
The only thing missing is the magnetic sensor, vibration and the wiimote sensor thing.
Even the button layout is almost identical. (when using the Slide Pad or 3DS 2)

Could the 3DS receive the video/audio stream from WiiU, as well?

stilgar

Well I'm not a patent master or anything so I could be mistaken, but the oldest Wii U-related patent I could find has a filing date of Feb. 2, 2011. (includes wiimote and Upad)

I mean the 3DS matches most Upad's features right? (input-wise at least)
Touch, accelerometer, gyro, camera, mic, IR, etc.
The only thing missing is the magnetic sensor, vibration and the wiimote sensor thing.
Even the button layout is almost identical. (when using the Slide Pad or 3DS 2)

Could it be possible for the 3DS to receive the video/audio stream from WiiU?

Wouldn't be surprising.

The real question is : will it be as DOA as GBA-GC connection?

Nintendo's efforts to connect its 2 platforms have always seemed to be ... forced and no very well thought for the masses, to say the least.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
What do you consider a massive jump MadOdorMachine?
Anything more then 3-6x leap is not likely to happen. It has been disscused many time why you are unlikely to see 10x leap in ANY console releasing in the next 2 years. If you want anything more join the master race.

Wouldn't be surprising.

Nintendo's efforts to connect its 2 platforms have always seemed to be ... forced and no very well thought for the masses, to say the least.

DS-Wii was also DOA, no?

This is a completely different thing.

Connectivity with console will not just be an extra feature, but an integral part of the experience.
(especially when a second Upad is not present)

Outside of the obvious gameplay applications, maybe you could use the 3DS while the Upad is charging or something.

Wouldn't be surprising.

GBA-GC suffered because it was expensive as hell to do.
DS and Wii never really worked because there wasn't much they could do with it.
3DS to Wii U could do better, if they have already planned out how exactly it'll work.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo pushes 3DS as extra screens for Wii-U... there were a few people on this forum who took specific note that the CPP effectively gives the 3DS all of the Wii-U control features. I'd welcome it too.

I'd like them to put enough in the hardware to enable 2 x Wii-U pads to work at native resolution with the TV working as well, but to ask for 3 or 4 would be pushing it.

You would have it easier enabling multiple 3DS' as their resolution is that much smaller (4x smaller on the top screen). The downside of course is that the 3DS is a bit expensive for someone to buy as a controller, and I imagine the uPad and Wii-U share hardware specifically intended for the transmission and reception of high resolution images, whereas the 3DS would have to have something written for it to achieve the same thing... there could possibly be latency implications.

The downside of course is that the 3DS is a bit expensive for someone to buy as a controller, and I imagine the uPad and Wii-U share hardware specifically intended for the transmission and reception of high resolution images, whereas the 3DS would have to have something written for it to achieve the same thing... there could possibly be latency implications.

Existing 3DS owners will have an advantage ofcourse. It's better than nothing.

Regarding the 3DS hardware not being able to "keep up", is it possible that the hardware/codec is already there, just not "enabled"?

Log4Girlz

So, with NFC we can expect Skylanders style figurines that can be placed on the tablet to bring them into the game right? Pokemon with that feature would sell billions.

Did they really talked about it? I don't remember it, but I'm old and tired.

Well there's an article here (CVG, July 2011), and because I'm old and tired as well and I understand you, to summarize Iwata says:

"First, I would like to answer from the perspective of whether it is technically possible or not. I will say that it is technically possible. However, there are some limitations."

"While the Nintendo 3DS is communicating with the Wii or the Wii U, the Wii or the Wii U will not be able to access the Internet, and this technical restriction will remain unless we add some special hardware."

But then he goes on to say:

"If we decide that using the Nintendo 3DS as a controller for the Wii U is the most obvious choice, we will do so without hesitation but, on the other hand, if software from Nintendo for the Wii or the Wii U system could not be enjoyed without the Nintendo 3DS, some consumers might feel that Nintendo is saying that consumers must buy both systems."

"So that consumers will not think of Nintendo as a company that made the Nintendo 3DS a controller because it wanted consumers to buy both hardware systems, we will not adopt this idea unless connecting the two systems is the most natural thing to do."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom