• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

(6-frame animated gif)

Interesting WiiU pad interactivity concepts, which demonstrate how the pad's various sensors help manipulate objects in a game's 3D space.

Nothing ground-breaking, but cool nevertheless.

Wonderful concept..probably not really "game-related", but more conceptual, but I love it...

nordique

Yeah, and there's plenty of indication that the next Xbox is coming out sooner rather than later. If that IGN rumor is to be believed (and they're usually right when it comes to next-gen console rumors), then chips for the final 720 dev kits have already been made. For the sake of comparison, there are devs who haven't even gotten final Wii U dev kits yet, and that's a console that we know is launching this year.

I fully believe that we'll have the 720 before holiday 2013, and it won't be a monumental leap in the same way this gen was. From everything I've read, I truly believe next gen is going to be about releasing efficient consoles over bleeding edge. Smaller, sleeker, more stable, and more competitively-priced from the very beginning. MS and Sony will want to reduce the pressure they felt this gen to do several redesigns and cut features to bring the costs down as quickly as possible. I'll bet anything that their goal is to release a machine that "just works" from the jump. And, if that's the case, I don't think Nintendo will have anything to worry about (well, unless Arkam was right, and Nintendo's going for sub-360 hardware that will have to be split between two screens).

Next gen won't be about power. And if people don't like it, they can always become PC gamers...lol

great post and i feel very similar to this train of thought. personally im more excited to see what improved interfaces like Kinect 2.0 and the UPad can bring to the gaming world

It's most likely at the point. It'll be resistive for sure, and while there are ways it could potentially be multi-touch (with the possibility even being stated in the patent), it's unlikely due to costs.
I dunno. It's something Nintendo may choose to enhance just to avoid the sheer embarrassment such as the infamous E3 interview where Geoff had Reggie admit "single-touch." (is that even a proper term? Kind of annoying, like saying playstation 1 instead of just playstation.)

I've never had problem w resistive in the past, but for that size of a screen and the possibility of two ppl playing on it like in the E3 demo, it's possible Nintendo will realize the limitations. That piano idea just serves to highlight it more.

Just how much more expensive are resistive multitouch screens?

nordique

So a thought just occurred to me...

This gen was an odd one with lots of strange going ons. It might be that as consoles become more feature based and less tech driven, our old ideas about the console generation model will begin to change more and more.

Let's say the Wii U has about 2-3x the processing capabilities of the 360 and the Nextbox achieves a respectable 5x bump. I know these vague multipliers are aggravating but bear with me here. My question is if neither the Wii U nor the Nextbox represent a quantum leap in processing power, what is the likelihood that developers will downport their games all the way down to the PS360 for the greater part of the next gen? They would look and run considerably worse but if scaling down is even at all possible, wouldn't this be a fantastic move by developers?

definitely possible, and I would personally expect to see this for a few years. Its not like the 360 and PS3 will stop selling after the next gen systems come out.

So then what would the draw be of getting new systems?

Well, for one thing, the interfaces will play a large role with the general public. If Kinect and the Wii Remote (coupled with Nintendo's software) were any indication, the general populous cares more about interface than they do with better graphics.

I am quite excited by these new interfaces, especially Kinect 2.0

effzee

definitely possible, and I would personally expect to see this for a few years. Its not like the 360 and PS3 will stop selling after the next gen systems come out.

So then what would the draw be of getting new systems?

Well, for one thing, the interfaces will play a large role with the general public. If Kinect and the Wii Remote (coupled with Nintendo's software) were any indication, the general populous cares more about interface than they do with better graphics.

I am quite excited by these new interfaces, especially Kinect 2.0

I wonder how worried 3rd party developers about the prospect of possibly 3 different and unique interfaces. They might not be as easily able to transfer their games from system to system.

All the more important that Nintendo nail the WiiU from the start. Powerful enough to attract 3rd parties and gamers who want the graphical leap from 360/PS3 but unique enough controller that brings in the casuals.

I wonder how worried 3rd party developers about the prospect of possibly 3 different and unique interfaces. They might not be as easily able to transfer their games from system to system.

All the more important that Nintendo nail the WiiU from the start. Powerful enough to attract 3rd parties and gamers who want the graphical leap from 360/PS3 but unique enough controller that brings in the casuals.

It's not like the Wii U controller is some bizarre creation.
It's a CCPro with a screen on it.
All third parties have to do with map the same controls as the other two systems and then put a HUD on the screen if they're feeling lazy.

I think Sony and MS are the ones worried, which is why they'll also do a tablet controller, in order to avoid having to play catch up in the middle of a generation.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like the Wii U controller is some bizarre creation.
It's a CCPro with a screen on it.
All third parties have to do with map the same controls as the other two systems and then put a HUD on the screen if they're feeling lazy.
I wonder if Nintendo will force developers to utilize the Wii U remote in some way, or if developers can choose to "disable" the screen on the controller to free system resources that would normally be allocated to it. Some games for Wii do not require the Wii remote, for example Super Smash Bros. Brawl for which you can use a Gamecube controller. Though that is of course a first party game.

Rösti;35448160 said:
I wonder if Nintendo will force developers to utilize the Wii U remote in some way, or if developers can choose to "disable" the screen on the controller to free system resources that would normally be allocated to it. Some games for Wii do not require the Wii remote, for example Super Smash Bros. Brawl for which you can use a Gamecube controller. Though that is of course a first party game.

Not in a million years.
They didn't even force developers to use 480p or motion controls on the Wii.

Rösti;35448160 said:

I may be wrong, but can't developers do that with the 3DS's 3D? I think I remember Nintendo saying if developers want to make a game that doesn't use 3D to boost graphics/performance, they are free to do so.

If so, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to disable the controller's screen for the same reason.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Not in a million years.
They didn't even force developers to use 480p or motion controls on the Wii.
Well, that ought to open up many more opportunities for developers that want to focus mostly on appealing visuals. How many system resources would be lifted if the controller screen is inactive is anyone's guess, but could it be a good 10%?

I may be wrong, but can't developers do that with the 3DS's 3D? I think I remember Nintendo saying if developers want to make a game that doesn't use 3D to boost graphics/performance, they are free to do so.

If so, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to disable the controller's screen for the same reason.

Yeah back around E3 someone from Nintendo said other developers should not feel obligated to use the screen.

Maxrunner

After using the Vita im kind happy that Nintendo choosed the circle pads quite honestely...its uncomfortable to use the analag sticks on portable and the upad seems to be more close to a portable console than a regular game pad.

AzaK

So a thought just occurred to me...

This gen was an odd one with lots of strange going ons. It might be that as consoles become more feature based and less tech driven, our old ideas about the console generation model will begin to change more and more.

Let's say the Wii U has about 2-3x the processing capabilities of the 360 and the Nextbox achieves a respectable 5x bump. I know these vague multipliers are aggravating but bear with me here. My question is if neither the Wii U nor the Nextbox represent a quantum leap in processing power, what is the likelihood that developers will downport their games all the way down to the PS360 for the greater part of the next gen? They would look and run considerably worse but if scaling down is even at all possible, wouldn't this be a fantastic move by developers?

Yeah maybe but not for platform holders. When they release new hardware they want people to take it up. Look what's happening with the Vita. PSP sales are still going strong.

Nintendo is in a different position because the Wii to Wii U jump will be huge but if 720 isn't "much more" than 360 that could be a problem. Of course they'll be planning their marketting very well.

Orrrrr...!

Nintendo is partnering with Lucas Arts to make "Max Rebo: The Game"!
Must be their answer to Kinect Star Wars.
Rösti said:
How many system resources would be lifted if the controller screen if inactive is anyone's guess, but could it be a good 10%?
Impossible to say. A simple data/menu screen would take far less than 10%, while on the other extreme it would be possible (if silly) to tax the system to the max and put it all towards that 480p display.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Impossible to say. A simple data/menu screen would take far less than 10%, while on the other extreme it would be possible (if silly) to tax the system to the max and put it all towards that 480p display.
Why would it be silly? It the upad was used as some sort of up-front visor in situations where there's nothing much going on the big screen, it might make sense that more juice went to the 'pad, since that's where the player's attention would be.

StevieP

Banned
Why would it be silly? It the upad was used as some sort of up-front visor in situations where there's nothing much going on the big screen, it might make sense that more juice went to the 'pad, since that's where the player's attention would be.

They'd better put a front-facing camera on that thing.

RedSwirl

I'm willing to bet Nintendo will put up the cash upfront to create an epic HD Zelda title, and then re-use the engine/assets for multiple games to get the most return on their dollar.

That's kinda what they've done. Nintendo may not label their engines, but they do re-use code from game to game.

Ocarina of Time was based on the Mario 64 engine. Twilight Princess was also based on the Wind Waker engine. I'm pretty sure they've re-used code between all recent Mario games too.

Akai

In fact, Nintendo's inability to force developers to use their stuff is what resulted in a lot of missed opportunities with various of their systems.

If Nintendo forced developers to do things then they'd have even LESS support than they do now...

Since I'm thinking of crazy extremes, I'm thinking like a game completely built around the 480p pad, such that when it has to deal with rendering at 720p or higher it has to use lower complexity models or suffer frame rate drops.

But really I was just saying the pad could be using 0-100% of the system's capabilities, so there's no simple way to say a game will get a certain boost by ignoring the pad.

qq more

That's kinda what they've done. Nintendo may not label their engines, but they do re-use code from game to game.

Ocarina of Time was based on the Mario 64 engine. Twilight Princess was also based on the Wind Waker engine. I'm pretty sure they've re-used code between all recent Mario games too.

Yep, very true. Nintendo does this quite a lot. I heard Wario Land 4 used Metroid Fusion's engine... which is interesting.

EDIT: Er, it was the other way around. Metroid Fusion used Wario Land 4's engine. My bad.

FreeMufasa

I just want to know what games it's launching with.

Once I know that I'll be able to say if i'm going to make a serious effort to get it at launch or not.

Probably won't know that till a month before it releases. At E3 will have every game in the launch line up. A few months after a lot of good ones and then come launch month 2 goodies 5 oks and 8 craps.

Ocarina of Time was based on the Mario 64 engine.

Speaking of which, I have always thought that also Banjo & Kazooje and Diddy Kong racing - on a second thought Donkey Kong 64 as well - were sharing the same development tools/engine as Mario 64.

nordique

Yes, and I have a feeling this is what we will get in the end.

What we have indicated about the Wii U hardware thus far, points to a fair bump from a 360. Nothing super-out of its league, but its a bump up for sure.

By the way....where's DCKing been? I enjoyed reading his posts while I was still a lurker.

As regards UTablet's features, I have just happened to think of something so simple, yet so much useful as far as I'm concerned: thanks to multi-tasking, we may open the built-in browser on the tablet and look at walkthrough on the fly, without having to stop playing.

Anth0ny

As regards UTablet's features, I have just happened to think of something so simple, yet so much useful as far as I'm concerned: thanks to multi-tasking, we may open the built-in browser on the tablet and look at walkthrough on the fly, without having to stop playing.

Considering you can already do that with 3DS, I hope it's possible on Wii U.

Or, as i said a few pages back... Videochat while playing zelda, and you may be able to stream your ingame video to someone in your wii-u friendlist and ask for direction via mic... Maybe you could stream like a "playthrough" for multiple viewers, like alot of people already do on twitch... the possibilities are pretty darn awesome, if they take the streaming possibilities seriously!

Or, as i said a few pages back... Videochat while playing zelda, and you may be able to stream your ingame video to someone in your wii-u friendlist and ask for direction via mic... Maybe you could stream like a "playthrough" for multiple viewers, like alot of people already do on twitch... the possibilities are pretty darn awesome, if they take the streaming possibilities seriously!

Yeah, but we've been thinking from the start about voice/keyboard chat implementations, Facebook integration to share achievements and so on; we've been thinking too hard and we've missed such a simple feature that's already on 3DS by the way.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What I don't get is the Wii U is more powerful then PS3 & 360, so you'd expect this
Killer_freaks_05.jpg

But we get this instead
killer-freaks-from-outer-space-wii-u-screenshot.jpg

Which look like a early 360 game......did I miss something?

Ryoku

What I don't get is the Wii U is more powerful then PS3 & 360, so you'd expect this
Killer_freaks_05.jpg

But we get this instead
killer-freaks-from-outer-space-wii-u-screenshot.jpg

That game began development on the Xbox 360. Also, the demo they shocased was an early alpha version.

antonz

Killer Freaks was at such an Alpha Stage Ubisoft openly said they did not want to show it but Nintendo pushed them to so they could showoff controller ideas.

http://www.nintendo-universe.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Killer_freaks_05.jpg
But we get this instead
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp...-freaks-from-outer-space-wii-u-screenshot.jpg

Just wait until E3, Killer freaks's demo was a early version running on a early dev-kit, besides even if that turned up to be disappointing - I don't get my hopes too high on Ubisoft launch games - no way that's the game that is going to showcase WiiU's potential.
Incidentally Xbox360 had Perfect dark - that's not much regarded tech-wise - at launch.

Wow I must be developing really low standards as I age--Killer Freaks looks pretty good to me, especially that one shot of the silhouette of the London skyline against a moonlit background (I think!) And Perfect Dark Zero looked great to me in 2005. Still does, really *shrugs*

Wow I must be developing really low standards as I age--Killer Freaks looks pretty good to me, especially that one shot of the silhouette of the London skyline against a moonlit background (I think!) And Perfect Dark Zero looked great to me in 2005. Still does, really *shrugs*

KF looks a lot better in motion.
That screen grab is pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom