• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

Do we know the buttons size?
It would be amazing if we got something like the wiimote (A) button lol
can't help it, big fingers hoho

D_prOdigy

To be fair... it was only traditional on three of their systems (N64, GC, Wii).
Everything else has had the standard uniform buttons.

I am too young to pretend to have been around before then, so I shall just act the snot-nosed, entitled not-quite-90's-but-not-quite-00's kid that I am.

onilink88

Nah, He's only been gone a week from this thread.
Not banned, though.

It's only been a week? Well, damn. Sifted through hundreds of posts, so it felt like it was a lot longer than that. Good to know, though. :p

Back on topic: what are the chances Nintendo'll implement an OS level screen capture function and/or the ability to record short clips of games? Currently playing Resonance of Fate, and it constantly reminds me how awesome having such features would be.

It's only been a week? Well, damn. Sifted through hundreds of posts, so it felt like it was a lot longer than that. Good to know, though. :p

Back on topic: what are the chances Nintedo'll implement an OS level screen capture function and/or the ability to record short clips of games? Currently playing Resonance of Fate, and it constantly reminds me how awesome having such features would be.

It's a feature I'd love, especially if games are HUDless.
Dunno if it will happen, but it should.

Back on topic: what are the chances Nintedo'll implement an OS level screen capture function and/or the ability to record short clips of games? Currently playing Resonance of Fate, and it constantly reminds me how awesome having such features would be.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say not likely. If they did, it's be a sweet, sweet bonus.

Thinking about it a little more as I type this (as I often do), it may tie in with their whole 'if you're friend's stuck help them out' thing they've been banging on about - you know, sending them a screenshot for help maybe?

I like the idea that was rumoured to be featured where a friend could join your game (if you own that title) and help you out/show you the way if you require help... Seeing your friends play games on their TV at home is also an awesome idea, I hope it's implemented well.

"AceBandage is playing Metroid: Dark Galaxy | watch | join | start video call"

Watching people play their games would be pretty cool.

Hiltz

Based on the direction Nintendo is going in, its focus seems to be about functionality over graphics. Of course, the change from Wii to Wii U graphics will be a full generational leap anyway.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say not likely. If they did, it's be a sweet, sweet bonus.

Thinking about it a little more as I type this (as I often do), it may tie in with their whole 'if you're friend's stuck help them out' thing they've been banging on about - you know, sending them a screenshot for help maybe?

I like the idea that was rumoured to be featured where a friend could join your game (if you own that title) and help you out/show you the way if you require help... Seeing your friends play games on their TV at home is also an awesome idea, I hope it's implemented well.

That's another feature that I'd love, and one that could potentially be a system seller.
I mean, the LP videos are pretty big, and knowing the people you're watching would be even better.

Roo

you gave me an idea...
mockup time =D

Original design vs. E3 design:

2yelan.jpg

Did anyobody notice in this one UPad looks like a Nunchank from a side view?

Hiltz

I never noticed the similarities between the two controllers. Wait. That means Pachter was right after all. This is Wii HD!

Wouldn't it be possible to surf the web on the touch screen controller to say, look up a strategy guide, while playing a game offline on your tv screen?

The way I saw things (from a completely individual perspective, and considering the information I've heard over the past year):
  • The first dev kits were slightly more powerful than the current generation leaders - and they were the ones used to make the E3 demos.
  • The second revision fixed some Upad problems and added better functionality
  • The third to fourth revisions saw an increase in power/better efficiency, with other lsight alterations.
  • The fifth revision added multiple Upad support.
  • The sixth and seemingly final development kit saw a large and considerable increase in power, following requests from developers. This apparently meant a more capable GPU revision/tweak and a greater amount of RAM.

Yup, all echoes my current thinking.

And I still think there's something about the controller that we don't know about yet. Just having a touchscreen on the controller isn't innovative enough imo...there's almost certainly something about it that would set it apart from touchscreens on other devices including iPads, iPhones and the inevitable touchscreens on the 720 and PS4.

My money would be on a haptic touchscreen, it's the only thing I can think of that would increase the cost of the controller to such an extent that Nintendo wouldn't be selling them separately.

We can rule out a built-in Vitality Sensor I think because even if Nintendo managed to get the device to work for everyone you'd need to have it in contact with fingertips to make it work.

Good to hear that there's 150-200 U titles in development, I just hope that third parties are going to market them properly, there were a great deal of good quality Wii games that were stealth-released and deserved much better sales.

I've just been looking at Capcom's support of the Wii and 3DS and think that they'll continue their good support for the U as well. I'm 100% certain that we'll see Resident Evil 6 for the U and would be very surprised if we didn't have a Monster Hunter title of some description announced at this years E3 too. If that is the case then you're looking at the 2 biggest franchises in Japan making an appearance on the U which would guarantee the console's success in the East.

I never noticed the similarities between the two controllers. Wait. That means Pachter was right after all. This is Wii HD!

Wouldn't it be possible to surf the web on the touch screen controller to say, look up a strategy guide, while playing a game offline on your tv screen?

Don't see why not.
You can on the 3DS.

onilink88

It's a feature I'd love, especially if games are HUDless.
Dunno if it will happen, but it should.

HUDless games, I hadn't even considered that... HUDless Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Universe, TLoZ: Whatever, and so many others would make the exclusion of the aforementioned features a sin.

Wait, that's an advertised feature of the Wii U? That's news to me.

Hiltz

Don't see why not.
You can on the 3DS.

I thought so. Then is it possible to play online games streamed to the controller? Iwata said that there is a limitation when it comes to DS to Wii and 3DS to Wii U connectivity because when either one is communicating to the other, internet access isn't allowed unless some "special hardware" is made for it.

HUDless games, I hadn't even considered that... HUDless Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Universe, TLoZ: Whatever, and so many others would make the exclusion of the aforementioned features a sin.

Wait, that's an advertised feature of the Wii U? That's news to me.

Not advertised, just rumored.

I thought so. Then how about this. Would it be possible to play online games streamed to the controller?

Iwata said that there is a limitation when it comes to DS to Wii and 3DS to Wii U connectivity because when either one is communicating to the other, internet access isn't allowed unless some "special hardware" is made for it.

I don't see why not.
The wireless tech that the controller will use is completely different from normal WiFi.

Log4Girlz

http://game0n.net/2012/02/25/dead-space-overstrike-timesplitters-4/

"My friend told me that when Electronic Arts received the first and second versions of Wii U development kits, Nintendo wasn’t sure how powerful the console was going to be. All they cared about at that point was making a console that was easy to port 360/PS3 games. They had to keep the dev kits at 360/PS3 level in the beginning because it’s easy to start low on specs and go up in power, but it’s impossible to create a super powerful development kit and then downgrade it in power. I hear that the 5th and 6th versions of this development kit are pretty powerful, and Frostbite 2 has been seen running on the Wii U with very smooth results and a higher frame rate than the 360 version of Battlefield 3, that are superior to any PS3/360 game running Frostbite 2."

That's what stuck out to me from that article.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

"My friend told me that when Electronic Arts received the first and second versions of Wii U development kits, Nintendo wasn’t sure how powerful the console was going to be. All they cared about at that point was making a console that was easy to port 360/PS3 games. They had to keep the dev kits at 360/PS3 level in the beginning because it’s easy to start low on specs and go up in power, but it’s impossible to create a super powerful development kit and then downgrade it in power. I hear that the 5th and 6th versions of this development kit are pretty powerful, and Frostbite 2 has been seen running on the Wii U with very smooth results and a higher frame rate than the 360 version of Battlefield 3, that are superior to any PS3/360 game running Frostbite 2."

you're late log muahahahaha so late

frostbyte

Yeah. It sounds actually kind of legit. Does anyone know if game0n has had any previous leaks before?

nordique

I finally read this and here is what stuck out too me.

Nintendo in disarray confirmed. Even if the number is half of that, that's still a good start IMO.

Very true. And, if the source from the article is to be believed even slightly, these are interesting points which seem to jive with many postulations made regarding he Wii U development kits and educated assumptions yourself and others have made; it would also make sense with Arkam's company's kits and would also mesh with what wsippel has heard in the recent past (and Alberto maintained at one point, iirc)

I'll quote it from the article, but because it seems to be banned according to the poster who linked it, I won't re-link the url

My friend told me that when Electronic Arts received the first and second versions of Wii U development kits, Nintendo wasn’t sure how powerful the console was going to be. All they cared about at that point was making a console that was easy to port 360/PS3 games. They had to keep the dev kits at 360/PS3 level in the beginning because it’s easy to start low on specs and go up in power, but it’s impossible to create a super powerful development kit and then downgrade it in power. I hear that the 5th and 6th versions of this development kit are pretty powerful, and Frostbite 2 has been seen running on the Wii U with very smooth results and a higher frame rate than the 360 version of Battlefield 3, that are superior to any PS3/360 game running Frostbite 2.

This bodes well; Frostbite 2 running with "very smooth" results and a higher frame rate is a very positive sign the system isn't simply "on par" with the 360/PS3, and also supports why the kits may have initially been "on par" with the two HD twins, nevermind Nintendo's desire to stay noncommittal when it came to giving concrete hints regarding the Wii U's own power and what other developers had mentioned.

This also meshes with that develop article a while back that suggested the original kits were "2x" 360 power levels (arbitrary to say the least), whereas a more recent source confirmed to them it was indeed boosted in power; also meshing with IGN's claim of "20% less than NextBox '6x' (also arbitrary) 360".

I'm interested to see how close to the Golf hole your speculated Wii U specs will end up being. I wouldn't doubt a double birdie ;)

Well they definitely won't all be launch window titles, but that could definitely sustain the first two or three years of it's life if most of them come out.

Edit: What Ace and Oddduck said.

Oh, and here I was clearing 200 spaces on my dvd-shelf

It all sounds pretty plausible. It will be interesting to see just how buddy buddy Nintendo and EA have become. Same with regards to the "partnerships" and so on.

The amount of software in development is something that caught my eye. Although much of that would probably be ports. It's not completely mind blowing though, the 3DS was announced with "over 100" titles in development.

I think Nintendo is well known to play cards close to their chest. Just as the business model behind the DS pointed towards the Wii, I believe the business model behind the 3DS will be similar to the Wii U when it comes to courting third parties.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
DICE has a bunch of presentations of Frostbite Engine 2 here: http://publications.dice.se/

As for system requirements pertaining Battlefield 3 on PC, here's how it looks:

Minimum System Requirements
PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ATHLON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

Recommended System Requirements
PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

This is of course no indicative to the specs of Wii U. And more than likely are Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 systems over PC for Nintendo to focus on.

One thing I thought of earlier on today was the chances, given that Nintendo are going to be pushing their new Nintendo Network infrastructure, that the next iteration of Wii Sports would have online multiplayer. I'd say pretty good. Give me online Bowling and Golf and I'm well and truly sold!!!

Jindujun

Neo Member
TimeSplitters 4 huh...
TimeSplitters, monkeys with guns...
Monkeys, monkeys eat bananas
"The internet will go bananas when it’s shown."

Timesplitters, Crytek UK, hidden room Wii U screening......

Timesplitters 4 confirmed for the Wii U!
I mean, it's logical :D

TunaLover

Seems bs to me, this part the most

I’m hearing that there is over 150-200 Wii U games currently in development. Nintendo is planning to announce numerous partnerships and collaborations regarding the Wii U at this E3

Yeah right

filler

Banned
100 out of those 150 games, could be stuff like Poniez and Baby Dollz Adventurez. Don't forget that Wii won the casual/non-gamer market handily. Wii U will get tons of those types of games. So that number isn't really unbelievable at all.

Oddduck

It's not that unbelievable. Didn't Iwata say that over 200 games are currently in development for 3DS at a recent investors conference?

Nintendo is taking drastic measures to make sure the Wii U and 3DS are a success.

I mean Ubisoft alone says they have 6 games coming. Who knows how many Nintendo, EA, THQ, Activision, Sega, Konami, Square Enix, Tecmo, Capcom, Crytek, Codemasters, Rockstar, Warner Bros, Disney Interactive, and Namco have coming.

Then you have to count in the fact that some of the games could be Wiiware games.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Considering Cristal Dynamics, Namco, Kojima Pro cold reception I doubt that 3rd parties will go all out with a Nintendo console.

Just as many 3rd parties have been high on it. Crytek and Vigil to name a few. Also I believe Kojima wants to finish current game before they look into the wiiu. How is that down? Do You have links to prove your statements about the other companies.....

Considering Cristal Dynamics, Namco, Kojima Pro cold reception I doubt that 3rd parties will go all out with a Nintendo console.

I can't see why not. Contrary to popular belief most third parties have done very well on the Wii platform.

A great deal of people in the industry were taken by surprise by the ridiculous success of both the Wii and the DS. If the 3DS is any indication publishers aren't going to be caught out again, particularly now that the U has a traditional rendering pipeline.

We're going to see a great deal of third party announcements at E3, with a few exclusives as well as big-name franchises.

Roo

150 to 200 doesn't mean hundreds of AA/AAA so, why not ? It's a big number, sure, but nothing unbelievable.

Besides, it doesn't mean we will know about all of them at E3 or this year at all.
Smash Bros just started development and we won't see it till 2014 as the earliest
I'm sure this number includes from AAA games to made-at-home retail and download games

Oddduck

I mean you have to look at the 3DS. You have lots of quality games on there like Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Mighty Switch Force, Mutant Mudds, Lets Golf, Sakura Samurai, Cave Story, etc.

So I'm sure digital games like that will be a huge part of the 150-200 game number for Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom