• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

I could see games like Super Meat Boy or Castle Crashers being ported to the Wii U's app store, and that being counted into the high number of games in development.

Edit: And sorry for double post.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
I can't see why not. Contrary to popular belief most third parties have done very well on the Wii platform.

A great deal of people in the industry were taken by surprise by the ridiculous success of both the Wii and the DS. If the 3DS is any indication publishers aren't going to be caught out again, particularly now that the U has a traditional rendering pipeline.

We're going to see a great deal of third party announcements at E3, with a few exclusives as well as big-name franchises.

Also if the system can run it, it is a no brainer to port it.

Pretty much already mentioned, but people clamoring for analog sticks seeing that they had them taken away. I do like the grips. I felt if they modified the controller it would add a grip like that, but I bet Nintendo wanted it to feel less like a controller and more like a tablet and removed them.

It seems like there are several sources now that are saying that the latest kits has a boost in power. Nintendo not knowing how powerful the Wii U during the earlier kits, and them being similar to 360 hardware also does make sense considering the leaks and info we have gathered.

Very true. And, if the source from the article is to be believed even slightly, these are interesting points which seem to jive with many postulations made regarding he Wii U development kits and educated assumptions yourself and others have made; it would also make sense with Arkam's company's kits and would also mesh with what wsippel has heard in the recent past (and Alberto maintained at one point, iirc)

Yeah if true it is in line with everything we've heard from early on till now.

This bodes well; Frostbite 2 running with "very smooth" results and a higher frame rate is a very positive sign the system isn't simply "on par" with the 360/PS3, and also supports why the kits may have initially been "on par" with the two HD twins, nevermind Nintendo's desire to stay noncommittal when it came to giving concrete hints regarding the Wii U's own power and what other developers had mentioned.

Again if true it definitely explains the vague target specs Nintendo gave at the beginning. Because there was no way to draw a proper idea with what Nintendo said back then and also explains the comments from devs that indicated they weren't exactly sure how the final would look.

These inside stories on the specs are encouraging so far if true.

Anyways, this is one launch where Nintendo can't afford to postpone Mario until the following year. Even if it's NSMB Mii, it's gotta be done. Though I'm still somewhat foolishly hoping for SMG 3.

edit: Then again, maybe not. By that time it'll be apprx 2 1/2 years since SMG 2's release so maybe it is a possibility.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Nintendo is pretty horrible when it comes to describing hardware power spec wise. They usually pretty conservative .They really hate getting into imaginary numbers that could change depending on how you use the hardware.

These inside stories on the specs are encouraging so far if true.

Anyways, this is one launch where Nintendo can't afford to postpone Mario until the following year. Even if it's NSMB Mii, it's gotta be done. Though I'm still somewhat foolishly hoping for SMG 3.

I think it would be a very safe bet to see either a 2D or 3D Mario game at launch or at the very least during the launch window. Who knows, it's possible that we might even see it as a pack-in game..? Not likely but possible lol

Somnia

Regarding the EA rumors, if they can get Frostbite 2 looking even close to BF3 on PC at launch (as things get better overtime) I'll be a very happy man.

D_prOdigy

My friend told me that when Electronic Arts received the first and second versions of Wii U development kits, Nintendo wasn’t sure how powerful the console was going to be. All they cared about at that point was making a console that was easy to port 360/PS3 games. They had to keep the dev kits at 360/PS3 level in the beginning because it’s easy to start low on specs and go up in power, but it’s impossible to create a super powerful development kit and then downgrade it in power. I hear that the 5th and 6th versions of this development kit are pretty powerful, and Frostbite 2 has been seen running on the Wii U with very smooth results and a higher frame rate than the 360 version of Battlefield 3, that are superior to any PS3/360 game running Frostbite 2.

IF TRUE, it really does take it home just how ridiculously early E3 2011 was for the console reveal.

I know the importance of pre-empting leaks, but man. Couldn't Nintendo have successfully deployed the ninjas for just a few more months? A more substantial reveal at a proprietary Fall event, with the whole platform at a more advanced stage, would surely have produced a radically different narrative for the system than the weird situation it sits in now.

Nintendo is pretty horrible when it comes to describing hardware power spec wise. They usually pretty conservative .They really hate getting into imaginary numbers that could change depending on how you use the hardware.

It seems you're saying it like that's a bad thing, on the contrary I quite appreciate their keeping a low-profile attitude instead than boasting about hardware-specs.

Hiltz

In its first 12 months. WiiU will be port paradise.
A new way for 3rd parties to wring every penny out of multiplat games that weren't on Wii.

Yep. I imagine some of them will include dirty ports of several year old current-gen games. Third-parties will be scratching their heads as to why they won't sell that well.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. I imagine some of them will include dirty ports of several year old current-gen games. Third-parties will be scratching their heads as to why they won't sell that well.
I hope Ubisoft won't enter a craze of Petz and Imagine HD galore. Because that would be atrocious. Sure, not all games in those series are bad, but when it comes to things like Imagine Party Babyz, you better flee than fight. I wouldn't mind though some older games as long as the porting is qualitative and add some more value than just HD visuals.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A GCN game in HD, he says? Challenge accepted!

Twilight_Princess_HD_Zelda_03_by_jackharvest1.png

zelda-wii-u1.jpg

Thanks for playing!

Ok they are better quality pics, (contrast, detail in textures show better in your pic) statement reversed lol, I'm actually more interested now.
But still......kinda reminds me of Ninja Gaiden, which ain't a bad thing but still not what I was expecting, tech demo thou ain't it? not the actual game?

And that too. Oh TGO, you're so silly.

And I've just noticed his Zelda post. Holllly shit. It totally does not look like a Gamecube game. I'm convinced he's just trolling now.
I ain't silly & I'm not trolling lol
I'm just being......I'll just wait till E3, this is all early stuff anyway & I don't wanna be seen as trolling just because I ain't seeing the flare everyone else is yet, that's not fair.

I like to have your GameCube.

No!
it's my only way of playing REmake!

edit: Oh shit! Does Wii U have BC? but in HD/upscaled if ya know what I mean?

Eh I'm not so sure about too many older games, anything that was in developement for around the time of release should be on the way sure. I don't see too many devs taking teams away from whatever there next project is (or even spending the money for outsourcing).

Maybe stuff like Final Fantasy 13? I dunno just doesn't seem llikely to me.

The Boat

IF TRUE, it really does take it home just how ridiculously early E3 2011 was for the console reveal.

I know the importance of pre-empting leaks, but man. Couldn't Nintendo have successfully deployed the ninjas for just a few more months? A more substantial reveal at a proprietary Fall event, with the whole platform at a more advanced stage, would surely have produced a radically different narrative for the system than the weird situation it sits in now.

This case was different from usual because Nintendo is collaborating deeper with 3rd parties and started handing dev kits sooner to ensure better 3rd party support, so leaks were inevitable. Considering that and that the Wii was in steep decline with no way of saving it, I think the announcement was the right thing to do.

The fact that forumites and so on are confused and making assumptions means next to nothing in the long run as far as sales go and creating buzz sooner creates some much needed awareness.

If I recall correctly we spent ages with no details about Revolution/Wii and it didn't hurt Nintendo in the end.

ReyVGM

Ok they are better quality pics, (contrast, detail in textures show better in your pic) statement reversed lol, I'm actually more interested now.
But still......kinda reminds me of Ninja Gaiden, which ain't a bad thing but still not what I was expecting, tech demo thou ain't it? not the actual game?

Yes, it's a demo, not a game.

The actual games end up looking much better than the demos, if you want to see comparison pics between Zelda demos for the previous consoles and the final games, check this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35421146&postcount=10466

TunaLover

Well yeah, thinking about it, Nintendo comes to this generation with 2 successful platforms, it could be pretty stupid if third parties give the shaft again.

ReyVGM

While Twilight Princess had better artwork than the Space World 2000 demo, the demo had much better animation and ran at 60fps.

Because it was a non-interactive movie. They could have made it run as smooth as they would have wanted.

The Zelda Wii U demo, on the other hand, was interactive. You could move the camera, point of view and mess with the lighting.

guek

Banned
I'm baaaaaaaaaack. It was only a 24 hr ban. Man, I really need to learn to just simmer down. It's not so much that I take anything that happens on these boards personally, I just find certain types of behavior aggravatingly annoying and just momentarily snap.

Anywho, interesting new rumors. I also feel like TS4 is a longshot, as is the idea of a huge leap over the current gen, but I love to hope. I'm trying to remain pessimistic because it'll keep my expectations in check, but to be honest there's a little sliver of me that eats up each and every single rumor that points to a very powerful console. I guess I can't help it :p

Somnia

The system will have much better 3rd party support for sure, but it will get a ton of dirty non-enhanced ports by lazy launch rush (ubisoft for example at launch at least). I hope some devs like vigil put higher res, better textures locked 60fps on ports.

ReyVGM

I'm baaaaaaaaaack. It was only a 24 hr ban. Man, I really need to learn to just simmer down. It's not so much that I take anything that happens on these boards personally, I just find certain types of behavior aggravatingly annoying and just momentarily snap.

Anywho, interesting new rumors. I also feel like TS4 is a longshot, as is the idea of a huge leap over the current gen, but I love to hope. I'm trying to remain pessimistic because it'll keep my expectations in check, but to be honest there's a little sliver of me that eats up each and every single rumor that points to a very powerful console. I guess I can't help it :p

Where you banned because of that pachter thread?

If I had known that thread was going to get so many people banned I would have never made it in the first place. Even Pachter summoned himself to that thread to tell me to go back to school :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

SNESfreak tweet in 4..3..2..1..

Hiltz

I don't see Kojima doing anything for the Wii U. He has never made a game for a Nintendo console, I don't know why.

He was somewhat involved in Twin Snakes and Snake Eater 3DS. He also was the one who got Solid Snake to be featured in Smash Bros Brawl (originally wanted him in SSBM). It's not much given that these MGS titles are remakes and I don't believe either title was developed by Kojima Productions (by different teams within Konami), but it counts for something.

ReyVGM

In terms of actual new games, you're right. However, he was somewhat involved in Twin Snakes and Snake Eater 3DS. He also was the one who got Solid Snake to be featured in Smash Bros Brawl (originally wanted him in SSBM). It's not much given that these MGS titles are remakes and I don't believe either title was developed by Kojima Productions (by different teams within Konami), but it counts for something.

Well, I said consoles, not portables. I didn't mention portables because he has made several games for GBC/GBA/DS, but not for actual Nintendo consoles. All Metal Gear games were ported/adapted by other people.

Yeah, he respects Miyamoto, he respects Nintendo, Mario 64 was an "inspiration", he wanted Snake in Smash, but he doesn't care enough to do a game for one of their consoles.

TunaLover

I don't see Kojima doing anything for the Wii U. He has never made a game for a Nintendo console, I don't know why.

I don't think he has anything personal against Nintendo, his favorite game ever is Super Mario Bros. (NES), and he was the one pushing to Snake appears on Brawl.
He could be more confortable with Sony vision of pushing technology and make cinematographic games, instead playing around gameplay formulas and leaving cosmetic things aside like Nintendo.

guek

Banned
Where you banned because of that pachter thread?

If I had known that thread was going to get so many people banned I would have never made it in the first place. Even Pachter summoned himself to that thread to tell me to go back to school :p

Yeah, the guy trolling for a response got my engine running and then my words got the best of me.

sfried

Are you trying to deny the existence of The Twin Snakes, Boktai/Lunar Knights, and MGS3D all at once?
Silicon Knights. Not really.
He and his team were still in charge with character models and cutscene engine (Ryuhei Kitamura directed the cutscenes). Kinda shows too when bump mapping isn't apparent during cutscenes but plainly visible during the actual game (see Rex battle).
Nintendo never usually give raw power specs, instead of giving very conservative estimates, if any, to what their console can produce. I recall the GC being announced with a lower number of polygons per second than PS2, but they were figures that were fully textured and with 8 texture effects. The estimates given were clearly lower than actual performance when EA claimed that the GC can do more polys per sec with more effects, which to a large effect is true. Someone like Factor 5 could pull out even more out of the system!

Again, this depends on how well a developer utilizes the hardware. People talking about how Kojima is mostly in cahoots with Sony and would never do anything on Nintendo (obviously false) probably have this assertion because most of their dev team is used to developing on Sony hardware, and hence different architectures. Nintendo needs their own division that really knows how to churn out the most of the system, it's just that most of these developers tend to be German (Factor 5, Shin'En) or English (Rare on the GC, Q-Games).

ReyVGM

It was still overseen (and co-developed) by Kojima Productions (prior to Kojima Productions founding). It still counts.

Not really. For example, Miyamoto was the producer of Metroid Prime, but that doesn't mean it's his game or that he made it. Bear in mind that Miyamoto was also the producer in LttP, OoT, Mario 64, Mario World, etc. and those were his games, he made them. Kojima was more of an adviser, so to speak (even if he's listed as Director), because the game was really made by Silicon Knights (just look at the credits).

Point is Kojima seems to not care about making games for Nintendo consoles. I mean, the man didn't even touch the SNES.

fernoca

Did Crystal Dynamics said they won't support the Wii U at all?
All I know is that they basically said that there are no plans to bring Tomb Raider for the Wii U launch, because they made the game to strengths of what they already know of back then, and to have a version for it ready at launch; they didn't wanted to do a rush job. That if they do, they'll use the strengths of the hardware and the controller, rather than just doing a quick port.

They were talking about the 2012 release and if the Wii U verison will be released this year:
At this time no. When we started developing the game we made a conscious decision that it was all about building the game for a platform and making sure the game was specific to that platform. Given that we’ve been working on the game quite a while before Wii U was announced I think it would not be right to try and port it across. If we started building a game for the Wii U we would build it very differently and we would build it with unique functionality.
Heck, even taking it "no Tomb Raider ever" they still said that they'll rather make something unique,instead of a quick port. So in that aspect that confirms support for the Wi U rather than the opposite.

But it's a quite intelligent approach, rather than many do which is just quick ports ready for launch, that barely use any strength of the system and end giving the wrong impression to the developer/publisher. Just look at the disaster of Splinter Cell Double Agent on Wii.

Somnia

I have a feeling we'll hear that from quite a few devs for games this holiday, that they want to focus on what they have already and not take resources away to put it on the WiiU. Next year it won't happen nearly as much I don't think, but what would be awesome is getting Borderlands 2 for example since we know Gearbox have said they like the WiiU.

Roo

Did Crystal Dynamics said they won't support the Wii U at all?
All I know is that they basically said that there are no plans to bring Tomb Raider for the Wii U launch, because they made the game to strengths of what they already know of back then, and to have a version for it ready at launch; they didn't wanted to do a rush job. That if they do, they'll use the strengths of the hardware and the controller, rather than just doing a quick port.

They were talking about the 2012 release and if the Wii U verison will be released this year:

Heck, even taking it "no Tomb Raider ever" they still said that they'll rather make something unique,instead of a quick port. So in that aspect that confirms support for the Wi U rather than the opposite.

But it's a quite intelligent approach, rather than many do which is just quick ports ready for launch, that barely use any strength of the system and end giving the wrong impression to the developer/publisher. Just look at the disaster of Splinter Cell Double Agent on Wii.

To me it was BS
they had a whole year to think about what would take advantage of Wii U's unique controller and even then, they could have done it a late port, just like a lot of Wii U's first third party efforts.

They even "asked" fans about ideas for A Wii U version and some came up with brilliant ideas yet were totally ignored. Not saying we won't see a Tomb Raider for Wii U ever, but missing the first installment of a reboot on a brand new console just because "they didn't want to do just a port" was a massive mistake.

For reference, just take a look at this:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=182207

welcome back bro, glad to have u around

btw that guy got banned too so...yeah. his reign of tyranny didn't last

Rösti;35474733 said:
I hope Ubisoft won't enter a craze of Petz and Imagine HD galore. Because that would be atrocious. Sure, not all games in those series are bad, but when it comes to things like Imagine Party Babyz, you better flee than fight. I wouldn't mind though some older games as long as the porting is qualitative and add some more value than just HD visuals.
I really liked Catz 2. It was like My First Zelda Game when you played Adventure Mode. Damn magic hat stealing wolf terrorizing kitty town!

filler

Banned
Rösti;35474733 said:

I was just thinking, why hasn't some developer come out with a parody game about all these Imagine Party Babyz type games? Just think of all the awesome that could come out of mocking these games and how they could create some crazy/bloody/dark/psychedelic adventure out of it. Slap on a generic Party Babyz style cover and rack up sales from unaware grandmas buying games for their granddaughters.

fernoca

To me it was BS
they had a whole year to think about what would take advantage of Wii U's unique controller and even then, they could have done it a late port, just like a lot of Wii U's first third party efforts.

They even "asked" fans about ideas for A Wii U version and some came up with brilliant ideas yet were totally ignored. Not saying we won't see a Tomb Raider for Wii U ever, but missing the first installment of a reboot on a brand new console just because "they didn't want to do just a port" was a massive mistake.

For reference, just take a look at this:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=182207
Yeah, I remember that. But keep in mind that they implied that it won't be at launch, not that it won't ever be on it. And they had a whole year to think aspects; but as of right now, there are no even final dev kits. And that's part of the reasoning they said for not having one at launch (they built the other versions onto the strengths of those other system, versus making a port based on what they think the Wii U might have.

Many of the Wii U's third party effort (or at least he ones we know of at the moment) are games that were either released already (Arkham Asylum) or to be released many months before the launch of the Wii U (Ninja Gaiden III =March, Dakrsiders II = June)so the versions they were working were probably quite already far in development, that they probably could afford putting a small team into the Wii U game "to experiment" (seen by Vigil and their talks of aiming to have it on par with the other versions and them experimenting with HUD removal, item swap), while finishing the other ones. Unlike Tomb Raider which is planned for a late 2012 release and still needs a few more months.

But still, many people took that quote as "no..never" kind of reply.
-Tomb Raider Skipping Wii U
-Tomb Raider Not Coming To Wii U
-Tomb Raider: No Wii U version
Were just a few of the ways many sites named said articles, on top of the posts around here implying that Tomb Raider won't come to the Wii U and that CD is giving the cold shoulder. When they just implied that it wasn't going to be at launch. Heck, they laid off people earlier to focus on Tomb Raider, because the previous TR didn't met sales expectations and that one was released across all platforms. So they seem to be on a position were they can't just add more platforms to develop for randomly, and just focus on tech ones working right now and add others with time.

Jarsonot

I'm really looking forward to Nintendo's first party online strategy. I think that Nintendo holds back on things until they can do them well, and online play is one of those things. We've had online in games like Mario Kart already, but I expect more.

I fully expect the "no-brainer" online games, like Mario Party and even New Super Mario Mii, and the new Smash Brothers. I.E., games that are traditionally played with friends at home and making them playable online is the next logical step.

What I'm more interested in is what Ninty has up their sleeve for NEW ideas. Not necessarily new to gaming, but new for them. I'm really, really looking forward to co-op play on some awesome franchises. I don't think Zelda will get any real co-op, maybe a "helper", but I'd love to see what they come up with.

And multiplayer next-gen Metroid? Yes please.

What games do you think would lend themselves to great co-op play, and do you think their rumored new IP may have an online focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom