• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I must have been really dumb when I was younger.

I was one of those dumbasses teabagging people iin CS way back in 1999. Misspelling everywhere... and it wasn't for larfs.

Cookychan

Banned
Also I must have been really dumb when I was younger.

I was one of those dumbasses teabagging people iin CS way back in 1999. Misspelling everywhere... and it wasn't for larfs.

"...taking candy from a baby. Say, that sounds like a larf!"
Which reminds me, there needs to be a good Simpsons game next gen.
I played the shit outta The Simpsons Movie on DS.

lherre

Accurate
I'm gunna liken it to this; Arkam has seen an earlier dev kit with bits missing (hell, early 3DS dev kits had no 3D apparently!) and IdeaMan has a more complete, close to actual retail kit.

And I add, all of you are thinking that arkam devkits are preliminary and that's not the case too. Re-read his statements again. I think he is not saying anything crazy or bad. I think you simply are overreacting.

Maxrunner

And I add, all of you are thinking that arkam devkits are preliminary and that's not the case too. Re-read his statements again. I think he is not saying anything crazy or bad. I think you simply are overreacting.

So they're final???im not following...

Cookychan

Banned

Now that you mention it, there was a little over-reaction with his statements.

Although, as I may have said, I'm definitely staying neutral on specs until E3 at earliest.

mclem

Wait, why do dev kits have around 2x the amount of ram that the consoles have? N ever understood that

Debugging. There's a ton of stuff you want running in the background for development - lots of safety checks, logging, and no optimisation (No optimisation because the steps that are used to optimise code can also obfuscate bugs). All that requires a bit of extra space to build into that won't be required in the final retail.

That said, developers do have to be very wary about memory usage - I've worked on a good few projects that worked fine up until we got near to release at which point we found out that we were vastly overbudget on memory usage. We've occasionally had to make some pretty crippling cuts to get the things to fit, when more preparation and care throughout development would stop us making the content that got cut in the first place.

We did get to a stage where, whenever we as coders made a significant memory saving, we *wouldn't* tell the artists and designers. Because they'd just fill it again. Twice over, sometimes.

Goodlife

He's saying that current gen games need to be downgraded to play on the Wii U.
Sorry, but that is bad, if it's not crazy

daakusedo

Between the guy that takes this thread like a tv show and the other who is making 50 words posts every two months, we're gonna die by insanity.

Now that you mention it, there was a little over-reaction with his statements.

Although, as I may have said, I'm definitely staying neutral on specs until E3 at earliest.

I'll admit I said more than a few harsh words... well come to think of it they were directed at specialguy. I don't think I really took a stance other than "It really doesn't seem likely given what we know of the hardware."

I definitely wasn't down with the dogpile that took place.

So his posting style wasn't exactly suitable for any lengthy discussion. More often then not mine isn't either. Also add intelligent into that.

I guess my point is I don't honestly care. The hardware should be within porting range of Fusion or Durango. So it probably won't be left behind in the port sense.

Other than that I haven't really been that hardware oriented since the PS2, Xbox, GCN, and DC generation. We've gotten to the point that realizing any game I'd want to make is more than possible.

Nibel

DpMXS.png

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Regardless of how good or bad his statements were, which shouldn't be anybody's concern as long as they're real, one of the details he gave about the amount of RAM on the devkit directly contradicted one of your posts (among similar information given by other sources), and this is what bugged me from the beginning.

wsippel

Banned
He's saying that current gen games need to be downgraded to play on the Wii U.
Sorry, but that is bad, if it's not crazy
Even if some developers have to downgrade current gen ports doesn't mean the system is weaker. It might simply be weaker in some areas (like per thread CPU floating point performance), or some tools or performance related middleware (like Umbra) isn't available yet, or the engine itself isn't properly optimized for a modern system. The Wii U isn't just an overclocked 360, it's a new system with different hardware that has its own strenghts and weaknesses.

darthdago

I believe Lherres comments suggested the devkit had more than 2GB but he didnt go any further than that.

Yes and Iherre also mentioned that 4-5 GB (10GB debugging) only as "excample".
He said its still open, that there is a 2GB model but that their kit had way more...

So possibly Nintendo is playing with us all and laughing at us all!!

They will probably use 4-5GB of RAM - how would we know that they dont?
They send out all their ninjas to keep ppl quiet...

Bear

Isn't texture stuff more ram dependent/based?

Texture size is limited by the RAM, but higher res textures require more processing power. RAM is usually the bottleneck but it depends on both, so a significantly weaker CPU/GPU could still affect it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Well, sorry but he's stating that Wii U will be the Wii of the next gen, in terms of graphic power and possibilities, and this is something possible, but not so welcome by gamers.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Well, sorry but he's stating that Wii U will be the Wii of the next gen, in terms of graphic power and possibilities, and this is something possible, but not so welcome by gamers.
If it is, it is and people need to accept it. Information shouldn't be embraced or rejected depending on how much it matches what people want to hear. The rationale should be how realistic and consistent it seems.

mclem

Well, something has to be the weakest system of any given generation, and given the release schedule it's extremely likely that the weakest system of the next generation will be the Wii U. So expect it.

But that's not to say it'll have anything like the limitations the Wii did in comparison to the HD twins. It looks to be architecturally similar, which would make porting significantly easier, and I'm still *very* sceptical about whether the PS4 and 720 will actually make a jump anything like the size a lot of people are expecting. I don't believe that the bulk of the industry - outside of the biggest companies - is in a state to *support* such a jump for a while yet. Is it worth making a console where the bulk of the power can only be tapped by the wealthiest companies?

It's a tough call for them - I can see merits in both approaches - and I'll admit to be rather interested to see which way they go.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If it is, it is and people need to accept it. Information shouldn't be embraced or rejected depending on how much it matches what people want to hear. The rationale should be how realistic and consistent it seems.

I agree, and I never rejected neither Arkam, lherre or Ideaman hints.
I've just underlined that, if lherre "confirms" Arkam reliability, this fact automatically drop the ball on Ideaman leaks, and it's quiet normal to see people upset.
Upset not with lherre or Arkam, but with the concept of another Nintendo home console not in line with next-years graphic engines.

:)

Well, something has to be the weakest system of any given generation, and given the release schedule it's extremely likely that the weakest system of the next generation will be the Wii U. So expect it.

But that's not to say it'll have anything like the limitations the Wii did in comparison to the HD twins. It looks to be architecturally similar, which would make porting significantly easier, and I'm still *very* sceptical about whether the PS4 and 720 will actually make a jump anything like the size a lot of people are expecting. I don't believe that the bulk of the industry - outside of the biggest companies - is in a state to *support* such a jump for a while yet. Is it worth making a console where the bulk of the power can only be tapped by the wealthiest companies?

It's a tough call for them - I can see merits in both approaches - and I'll admit to be rather interested to see which way they go.

We'll see, I'm just commenting latest rumors, I have no real clue about the real comparison between Wii U and other nextgen consoles

:)

Goodlife

Even if some developers have to downgrade current gen ports doesn't mean the system is weaker. It might simply be weaker in some areas (like per thread CPU floating point performance), or some tools or performance related middleware (like Umbra) isn't available yet, or the engine itself isn't properly optimized for a modern system. The Wii U isn't just an overclocked 360, it's a new system with different hardware that has its own strenghts and weaknesses.

That's a completely different point though, and clearly shows Arkhams agenda if something like that is the case.

I sincerely, deeply, truly hope that GDC gives us some solid spec info. Not because I care, but because I don't care. I will be so happy when I can enter this thread and go more than 15 posts without discussing RAM and GPUs.

lherre

Accurate
No, how can I describe it ... the kits obviosly has more ram than retail (the double to be exact or this is the goal ). The RAM amount that you can use for your application is limited to a lower amount, the problem here is that nintendo didn't decide yet (not sure if the new ones or new sdk's will change this) there is a range of memory possibilities. But now you can say that the application limit is the amount of the retail machine, but it can change in the future (but not a big jump, so no crazy theories please).

Log4Girlz

No, how can I describe it ... the kits obviosly has more ram than retail (the double to be exact or this is the goal ). The RAM amount that you can use for your application is limited to a lower amount, the problem here is that nintendo didn't decide yet (not sure if the new ones or new sdk's will change this) there is a range of memory possibilities. But now you can say that the application limit is the amount of the retail machine, but it can change in the future (but not a big jump, so no crazy theories please).

8 GB it is, thank you for clarifying :D

Without ShockingBerto all we have are crazies.

Donnie

He's saying that the current WiiU dev kit is less powerful than XBox 360, that's either crazy or very bad.

Even IF he's just misinterpreting things (its a programming issue because of early software ect) then his conclusion is still bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom