• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I think a lot of the new ip/old ip revived politic of Nintendo for Wii U will rely on the success of Kid Icarus Uprising at the end of march. They are deploying a media effort rarely seen to promote it, that + the launch of the Cobalt Blue 3DS the same day + inclusion of the stand + compatibility with the CCP + more and more AR cards announced (before it was 20, now it's 100) + the manga + a lot of other things. Combined with the long awaiting + pressure of fans in showrooms to bring back this franchise since forever + all the energy demonstrated by Sakurai, i think a failure will put Nintendo on a less bold trajectory concerning their IP. Oh it will not be a game-changer event, but certainly a well sold KI:U will encourage Big N to be more daring regarding all that. And i wish it*. So you know what you have to do, preorder & buy Kid Icarus :p

*Oh, and also a sandbox nintendo game with friendly toolkit to build new levels/areas/circuits/scenarios with the padlet, online, etc.

And a RTS, maybe a collaboration with Blizzard to develop the first real 99% gamerankings RTS for a console.

+ many other games :p

What the hell is wrong with you?

First off, I never said ANYTHING about the quality of Pushmo and other eShop exclusives. I like them all a lot.

Secondly, I said that franchises like StarFox or new IPs which only can work on the tablet could be made for Wii U's "eShop". Just like XBLA or PSN games, but made for the Wii U from the ground up.

And I won't comment your childish overreaction - it's actually funny. :lol

You need to calm down just a bit, obviously English isn't his native language.

Oddduck

I think a lot of the new ip/old ip revived politic of Nintendo for Wii U will rely on the success of Kid Icarus Uprising at the end of march.

Also I think Nintendo will be more willing to create new IP's if Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Sakurai Samurai do well on the 3DS e-shop.

Nibel

That Killer Freaks screenshot was taken from a very early version - I wouldn't even say beta. Plus I think that I read that they got their dev kit really late which is why I suppose the shows screenshot isn't the game running on the Wii U. Correct me if I'm wrong.

wsippel

Banned
I'm guaranteeing this right now.

Killer Freaks from Outer Space will be visually amazing. The concept art was very intriguing, and if they can match the graphics with the concept art, it will be a great game. Again, A LOT of things can be improved in one full year (between E3 2011 and E3 2012)...and it can be even more improved between E3 2012 and Wii U's launch. What we saw of Killer Freaks last year was a rough beta, and the game shouldn't be judged by a rough beta.

Although Red Steel 1 sucked...believe it or not...the game at launch was better and improved over the version displayed at E3.

Also, Ubisoft got a lot of feedback from Nintendo and Retro on Red Steel's motion controls, so I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for Nintendo's feedback on Killer Freaks.

If Killer Freaks can go from this beta:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/images/news/killer_freaks_screenshot_720_wip_002_slash_freaks_1200.jpg

to something closer to this:

http://www.thebuttonsmash.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/killer_freaks_feature-600x300.jpg

That would be pretty sweet.
The second pic is actual live footage with some high end, non-realtime CGI and complex post production. No console will give you anything close for another four or five decades.

Oddduck

The second pic is actual live footage with some high end, non-realtime CGI and complex post production. No console will give you anything close for another four or five decades.

I'm not saying it would look just like that. But perhaps something can be done graphically (perhaps with lighting) to give the atmosphere and monsters a much creepier vibe than the beta screenshots.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I can think of numerous people on this board who are completely convinced we'll see that in the next Sony/MS consoles.

I'm not saying it would look just like that. But perhaps something can be done graphically (perhaps with lighting) to give the atmosphere and monsters a much creepier vibe than the beta screenshots.
lol I donno about 4 or 5 decades. 50 years is a long time. But when will we see an actual developer drop something like that? Not for a loooooooooong time.

And it likely will.

You are talking about a screenshot from a game fairly early in development. Lighting effects, hell a good chunk of effects aren't added until the tail end of development. It won't look anything like that video, but it should look more than a few ticks better than it did then.

wsippel

Banned
It's a real video of a real hand holding a real gun in a real alley. The only thing that isn't actually there is the rabbid, and that one character alone has a polycount a thousand times higher than anything any current GPU could handle - and it's raytraced.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Also I think Nintendo will be more willing to create new IP's if Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Sakurai Samurai do well on the 3DS e-shop.

Yeah, but obviously they need to improve in this area, marketing-wise. If i was from Vanpool, i would have liked my project to be more endorsed, promoted, by my publisher, and not released like a rogue in a conference followed by a very specific audience. There is huge room for improvements to pitch and foster downloadable games via the Eshop and soon NiN, think of UI upgrades, other manner to communicate about them, etc.

Too much groping, tiny and shy attempts, dependence on word of mouth of the nintendo community. IMO :)

It's a real video of a real hand holding a real gun in a real alley. The only thing that isn't actually there is the rabbid, and that one character alone has a polycount a thousand times higher than anything any current GPU could handle - and it's raytraced.
I don't see the issue.

TM from the year 2106 sent me a Nintendo HoloCube, and raytracing is not only common in realtime rendering, but everything is made with point cloud samples.

edit: The game he sent to me was based on the DC character Atom. I stopped a nanomachine threat by shrinking in realtime and toying with their atomic structure.

It was quite impressive.

Yeah, but obviously they need to improve in this area, marketing-wise. If i was from Vanpool, i would have liked my project to be more endorsed, promoted, by my publisher, and not released like a rogue in a conference followed by a very specific audience. There is huge room for improvements to pitch and foster downloadable games via the Eshop and soon NiN, think of UI upgrades, other manner to communicate about them, etc.

Too much groping, tiny and shy attempts, dependence on word of mouth of the nintendo community. IMO :)
I think UI is a huge problem with the Eshop. Actually it's a pretty big problem in almost everything nintendo related, but it negatively affects developers on the e-shop.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I don't see the issue.

TM from the year 2106 sent me a Nintendo HoloCube, and raytracing is not only common in realtime rendering, but everything is made with point cloud samples.

edit: The game he sent to me was based on the DC character Atom. I stopped a nanomachine threat by shrinking in realtime and toying with their atomic structure.

It was quite impressive.
Lies, Nintendo was a third party company in 2106. Only that one year, though.

I think UI is a huge problem with the Eshop. Actually it's a pretty big problem in almost everything nintendo related, but it negatively affects developers on the e-shop.

Really?
Developers and publishers have been saying that their games are doing well.
I mean, we get push updates on games and new games are the first thing you see on the eShop.

Donnie

If he's talking about the video as a whole I agree completely. But if he's just talking about that particular pic he posted then that's not so far fetched. The only thing with any real detail in the pic is the rabbid thingy.

Really?
Developers and publishers have been saying that their games are doing well.
I mean, we get push updates on games and new games are the first thing you see on the eShop.
I don't know, I just feel that it isn't browse friendly. I don't mind sifting through the XBLA and PSN store, it's pleasant enough, or slick enough. Nintendo's is just...blah. Especially on the 3DS, it's just a turn off.

I don't know, I just feel that it isn't browse friendly. I don't mind sifting through the XBLA and PSN store, it's pleasant enough, or slick enough. Nintendo's is just...blah. Especially on the 3DS, it's just a turn off.

I do agree that they need a better option for looking through genres and being able to sort them alphabetically, but for new stuff, they shove them in your face.

Oddduck

The user interface of the eshop sucks, but one good thing it does is it puts brand new eshop games and demos front and center when you first enter the eshop.

The problem is the interface makes it difficult to search and find older eshop titles.

Rösti;35662839 said:
What "average visuals" means is key here. Sure, I wouldn't complain if the game featured visuals on par with let's say Halo Reach, but visuals lacking mipmapping, good light sources and a steady frame rate between 20-30 FPS I wouldn't want on stage. Anything that would severely make people doubt the technical capabilities of the system is not appropriate to show on stage. At least the Chase Mii demo looked clean and polished at E3 2011, whilst Killer Freaks From Outer Space did not (I know it was in early alpha stage).

Of course I am, just like you, very interested in the aspects of the Wii U remote, and that is certainly something Nintendo should focus on, but with the right content connected.

When i refer to average visuals, I am of course referring to something that looks similar to current gen since current gen represents the the current graphical expectations :p

In other words, I don't expect anything far beyond the visual fidelity of current games. So if a game releases that looks on par with say Uncharted 2 on PS3, I am not going to complain to much (and that is what I would consider average for a next gen title, especially at launch)

It's still a mess though
for reals. Can anyone honestly and genuinely say they enjoy the eshop? It's functional but it's ugly and just blehhhhhz.

I don't expect them to turn into apple overnight in terms of UI, but I'm expecting something a lot simpler and sleeker and well presented and whatnot.

for reals. Can anyone honestly and genuinely say they enjoy the eshop? It's functional but it's ugly and just blehhhhhz.

I don't expect them to turn into apple overnight in terms of UI, but I'm expecting something a lot simpler and sleeker and well presented and whatnot.

The way that information is shown for games is fine.
It's only the browsing that has problems.
Only because finding older games is such a pain.

Jindujun

Neo Member
So what specifically are you guys looking forward this E3? For me it's probably seeing a video of an awesome looking new 3D Mario, co-op, ONLINE that uses the Upad in some cool ways.

Lets see... I'm looking for the following, not entirely unlikely, things:
-Online in line with XBL
-"Revolutionary" new multiplayer functions
-New metroid game
-Breaking news that Monster Hunter Tri G would be on the Wii U too. Released simultaneously with the TriG for 3DS in Europe, NA TBD.

Ok so the last one isnt very likely but still!

Lets see... I'm looking for the following, not entirely unlikely, things:
-Online in line with XBL
-"Revolutionary" new multiplayer functions
-New metroid game
-Breaking news that Monster Hunter Tri G would be on the Wii U too. Released simultaneously with the TriG for 3DS in Europe, NA TBD.

I am fearful of Revolutionary new multiplayer functions with an online service similar to Xbox Live simply for the possibility of the screen on the controller displaying real time webcam esque video of opponents (the controller has a front facing camera does it not?). Is live streaming video going to be possible to send to the Wii U controller? I really don't want to see someones balls when they attempt to virtually T-bag me in Multiplayer games...

I am fearful of Revolutionary new multiplayer functions with an online service similar to Xbox Live simply for the possibility of the screen on the controller displaying real time webcam esque video of opponents (the controller has a front facing camera does it not?). Is live streaming video going to be possible to send to the Wii U controller? I really don't want to see someones balls when they attempt to virtually T-bag me in Multiplayer games...

Get better friends...

Jindujun

Neo Member

I might have to clarify, I'm not counting real teabag teabagging over the internet as a revolutionary function, at least not one I'd want...
I'm talking about different ways to connect to your friends like watching them play over the internet and then, if you want and they're playing a game you can join, being able to enter their game instantly.
Or something like using the cam on the WiiU controller to be able to see your friend rage over losing to you in Mario Kart Universe(Mario Kart 8)

So to recap, the camera have to have some kind of anti teabag sensor so it blocks that. Look like a teabag? too bad, you cant use the cam! :)

Get better friends...

It isn't my friends im worried about. It is all of you! :p

I might have to clarify, I'm not counting real teabag teabagging over the internet as a revolutionary function, at least not one I'd want...
I'm talking about different ways to connect to your friends like watching them play over the internet and then, if you want and they're playing a game you can join, being able to enter their game instantly.
Or something like using the cam on the WiiU controller to be able to see your friend rage over losing to you in Mario Kart Universe(Mario Kart 8)

So to recap, the camera have to have some kind of anti teabag sensor so it blocks that. Look like a teabag? too bad, you cant use the cam! :)

I know exactly what you meant :p I actually think live video to the controller would actually be a revolutionary aspect to social multiplayer. I am merely jesting at the potential immaturity that is gamers :p

I can already see Infinity Ward is working on the future of the Kill Cam, involving the real life reactions of the player. While the game displays your location to your opponent, you receive his fantastic over the top raging in a 3 second clip. This is CoD's new innovation. You heard it hear first.

Lausebub

Banned
Man, you really got me excited for a second. Well, I don't expect a lot form GDC anyway, so anything at all would be pleasant. Even the reveal of the stylus length would be make me excited at this point. :p

Did you mean Monster hunter 4?

If they had wanted to release MH3G cross-platform, it would have made much more sense a simultaneous release on 3DS/Wii over 3DS/WiiU.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Awww... poop.
Though when I look at it, it appears somewhat accurate. The event listing marks exhibitor registration between 3:00pm-7:00pm on Sunday. Though the official countdown is to 03/05/2012 04:59 GMT, which converts to 8:59pm PST on Sunday, if I'm not mistaken. What unfolds then I have no idea of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom