• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolwhip

Banned
Is there any reason to believe we will hear anything at GDC? It's probably better if Nintendo went all out at E3 and kept silent until that point. Unless they fear that they might get less attention at E3 because those days are packed with gaming news.

Is there any reason to believe we will hear anything at GDC? It's probably better if Nintendo went all out at E3 and kept silent until that point. Unless they fear that they might get less attention at E3 because those days are packed with gaming news.

We could hear more about NN or other features in the system.
But a full reveal won't happen.
We could also hear leaks from behind closed door stuff.

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;35664497 said:
Though when I look at it, it appears somewhat accurate. The event listing marks exhibitor registration between 3:00pm-7:00pm on Sunday. Though the official countdown is to 03/05/2012 04:59 GMT, which converts to 8:59pm PST on Sunday, if I'm not mistaken. What unfolds then I have no idea of.

Ahh.. I can imagine the exhibitors in line on Sunday afternoon..

{cue dream sequence music}

A: "Hey Carl! Good to see you back this year! You working on that new Juicy™ IP? Whaddya think of the latest kit? Lots of RAM, eh? Thank goodness!"

B: "Yeah, Markinald.. and that hologram generator hidden in the pad is fantastic. Our team finally got some really good results last week. People are gonna flip when it's unveiled at E3, haha!"

C {lurking in background behind a plant}: "Very interesting. I must report back to NintendoGAF immediately!"

{end dream sequence music}

I think that's a lock.
Nintendo is definitely working with companies like Capcom, Ubisoft and EA for some good support.

Yeah.. but what do you mean by "good support?"

I want headliners. Not side stories.

DrWong

For E3 in addition to the usual stuff (Retro game, Pikmin 3, Monolith, Wii U VC & so on...), I would like to have 2 Upad support confirmed for launch with a demo on stage.

And Mount & Blade U announced.

Ahh.. I can imagine the exhibitors in line on Sunday afternoon..

{cue dream sequence music}

A: "Hey Carl! Good to see you back this year! You working on that new Juicy™ IP? Whaddya think of the latest kit? Lots of RAM, eh? Thank goodness!"

B: "Yeah, Markinald.. and that hologram generator hidden in the pad is fantastic. Our team finally got some really good results last week. People are gonna flip when it's unveiled at E3, haha!"

C {lurking in background behind a plant}: "Very interesting. I must report back to NintendoGAF immediately!"

{end dream sequence music}

Yeah.. but what do you mean by "good support?"

I want headliners. Not side stories.

A mainline Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts...
All exclusive.
I'd call that "good" support.

Jindujun

Neo Member
Did you mean Monster hunter 4?

If they had wanted to release MH3G cross-platform, it would have made much more sense a simultaneous release on 3DS/Wii over 3DS/WiiU.

No I meant MH3G. While it might appear more sensible to do a 3DS/Wii cross-platform if you consider the online and the DLC capabilities the WiiU would be the better candidate.

On the topic of MH4 I wouldn't hold my breath for any information this E3. It's going to be released this year in japan so minimum 1.5 years away for EU/NA and that means exactly zero information this E3. TGS however will give us loads of new MH4 info

A mainline Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts...
All exclusive.
I'd call that "good" support.

Mainline Monster Hunter reveal will NEVER happen this E3(wouldnt hold my breath on the next either :p). They'll save that for TGS. I'm still hoping they'll release MH4 cross-platform 3DS/WiiU
Resident Evil, maybe. Most likely not an exclusive title but just RE6. DQ, seeing as they're releasing DQX for the WiiU they already have that.
Kingdom Hearts, no idea... I've got this weird feeling they'll keep it on handheld for now

I was talking about already announced for the 3DS.
Not that I expect those for the Wii U.
More that I was saying that Nintendo isn't slouching when it comes to getting third party support right now.

Jindujun

Neo Member
More that I was saying that Nintendo isn't slouching when it comes to getting third party support right now.

Ah sorry. In that case i cant do anything but agree with you!
I've got this feeling we'll see a third party support for the 3DS/WiiU we havent seen since the SNES

frostbyte

I just want mainline Final Fantasy games back on a Nintendo system, especially since it's multiplat on consoles from here on.

guek

Banned
I wish SE would show more stuff on DQX. I'm not necessarily interested in the game, just curious. I think there's info floating around out there but its all in japanese.

My optimistic prediction of Nintendo's E3 presentation:

- 10 minutes - Opening with Reggie, talks about the legacy of the DS and Wii lifetime sales, announces price drop to $120 or $99 for wii. Segways into 3DS sales talk.

- 2 minutes - 2D Mario trailer shown

- 10 minutes - On stage demo of the new 2D mario, most likely with co-op settings

- 3 minutes - Transitions into upcoming 3DS games montage. Shows Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Monster Hunter Tri:G (for the west), reveals at least 2 games we weren't expecting. All slated for fall release.

- 5 minutes - Talks about one last 3DS game announcement. Reveals either NEW! Legend of Zelda (a top down Zelda game), or Legend of Paper Zelda. Shows trailer.

- 5 minutes - Iwata walks on stage. Talks about the industry and generational transitions. Bows. Laughs. Talks about the new experiences we'll be seeing with the Wii U. Unleashes the kraken game montage

- 3 minutes - Game montage showing footage of Ninja Gaiden 3, Batman AC, Darksiders 2, Colonel Marines, RE:6, AC3, Metro, Ghost Recon, Lego City Stories, Tekken Wii U, and several others we don't know of yet, possibly Wave/Excite Race and (if we're lukcy) No More Heroes 3

- 2 minutes - Miyamoto comes on stage. Reveals a previously unknown feature of the system. Either reveals his new IP or talks about how this new feature is used in Pikmin 3.

- 2 minutes - Trailer for either Pikmin 3 or the new IP

- 10 minutes - On stage demo for either Pikmin 3 or the new IP

- 5 minutes - Iwata comes back and talks about price, launch date, and launch window games. Shows a wall of logos that is supposed to convey committed support.

- 10 minutes - Invites Ubisoft rep on stage. Demos either Ghost Recon or Killer Freaks, most likely the latter

- 2 minutes - Trailer for Killer Freaks

- 2 minutes - Reggie comes back on stage. Talks about what games we'll see on the show floor. Says there's one last thing. Lights dim.

- 2 minutes - Trailer for surprise Retro game is shown

-END-
Total time - 73 minutes

I think such a conference is entirely in the realm of possibility. I'm prepared to be disappointed though...*sigh*

edit: Added time for launch details
edit 2: Damn, just remembered about the possibility of a GTAV or Timesplitter's announcement. Well they could shoved in with the montage I suppose, or just throw in 2 minutes somewhere to get to 75 minutes total.

Deguello

One thing I find ponderous is that Bravely Default ISN'T titled Final Fantasy: something.

Like are they trying to be protective of the FF franchise? That ship already sailed with FFXIV.

Are there internal politics afoot in which the main teams are being jackasses to the smaller teams and forbidding the branding? That's certainly possible.

Or maybe does even Square Enix themselves consider Final Fantasy in pretty dire straits or damaged goods and think an ambitious new title needs to distance itself? An interesting thought.

In any case, game looks good.

11redder

The way that information is shown for games is fine.
It's only the browsing that has problems.
Only because finding older games is such a pain.

The eshop has some problems, but its a huge step up from nintendo's previous efforts. I actually really like it.

On the other hand, I find the ps3 store a barely navigable mess. People laugh at the wii shop, but, to my mind, while visually unappealing, its at least logically laid out.

Until recently, the US psn didn't even allocate demoes and full retail games their own sections. That's to say nothing of the search function, which will return everything related to a game, including dlc, wallpapers, etc, before the game itself. They've only recently added screen shots and short video clips to the area where you buy the actual games. Welcome to 1995, etc.

Will the final design have an outward facing camera for IR and the like? It eally surprised me last E3 when it wasnt there. Or is the tech behind sending the data back for processing then back to the screen to slow to really be functional?

11redder

One thing I find ponderous is that Bravely Default ISN'T titled Final Fantasy: something.

Like are they trying to be protective of the FF franchise? That ship already sailed with FFXIV.

Are there internal politics afoot in which the main teams are being jackasses to the smaller teams and forbidding the branding? That's certainly possible.

Or maybe does even Square Enix themselves consider Final Fantasy in pretty dire straits or damaged goods and think an ambitious new title needs to distance itself? An interesting thought.

In any case, game looks good.

I presume you mean XIII. Regardless, the ship actually long since sailed with X, which was the largest pile of unmitigated excrement.

Instro

Wasted how? They are a proven talent and would most likely create an amazing SF game. How is that a waste? Because you dont want to play it?

Star Fox is a pretty easy game to make, unless you want something other than a rail shooter? Just let EAD/SPD handle it, or let Treasure take a crack at it. It's not a title that would really utilize the full potential of a studio like Retro, particularly their art and graphics designers.

Deguello

Here's hoping Assassin's Creed III is for the Wii U.

And here's hoping the tagline is something like "No Taxation Without Exsanguination."

guek

Banned
Star Fox is a pretty easy game to make, unless you want something other than a rail shooter? Just let EAD/SPD handle it, or let Treasure take a crack at it. It's not a title that would really utilize the full potential of a studio like Retro, particularly their art and graphics designers.

They could always expand on starfox you know (hopefully in enjoyable ways unlike the last few starfox outings)

WAT

I think Star Fox has a lot of potential for gorgeous art and for being a technological showcase. Just think of what Factor 5 did with Rogue Leader, but like, 10x better...or something.

If they were able to blend the games' atmospheres of Star Fox and Star Fox 64, it would be spectacular...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I've been wanting Retro on Starfox for years.

Hope it happens. It's not like it would lock down the talents of the entire studio or anything.

royalan

They could always expand on starfox you know (hopefully in enjoyable ways unlike the last few starfox outings)

But who really wants that?

I think a major failing of the last few Star Fox games has been trying to shoehorn the IP into something it's not.

guek

Banned
But who really wants that?

I think a major failing of the last few Star Fox games has been trying to shoehorn the IP into something it's not.

That sentiment only exists because it'd been done poorly :p

The starfox IP has a lot of potential, it just hasn't been treated very well over the years

Instro

WAT

I think Star Fox has a lot of potential for gorgeous art and for being a technological showcase. Just think of what Factor 5 did with Rogue Leader, but like, 10x better...or something.

If they were able to blend the games' atmospheres of Star Fox and Star Fox 64, it would be spectacular...

Rogue Leader is a different kind of game though. If Star Fox were to expand to something like Rogue Leader, then sure Retro would make a bit more sense. As a rail shooter I think you're kind of limited as to what can be done with the game, ergo it doesn't really need a big team on it. Honestly though I think EAD would be ideal to truly bring the series back.

Terrell

they're way too good for such a franchise like SF
1b957c3f7e8f1e8eaa905e683e84d89c.jpg

frostbyte

Why?
Mainline FF sucks.
Ask for more of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjFw7dxcTXM

True. Bravely Default looks much more promising than the newer FF entries. From what little FFvXIII information there is, it (hopefully) turns out well.

I just want SE to return to its glorious roots and they seem to only be able to do it on handhelds, not consoles. We got things like TWEWY and 4WoL on DS. Something similar to that kind of scope on consoles would be great. Just kind of down that SE aren't able to pump out great JRPGs after another...

mclem

Lets see... I'm looking for the following, not entirely unlikely, things:
-Online in line with XBL

I think that might be a little too much to ask for. I'd be happy with online in line with how XBL was at the start of the 360 generation. With a few extra nintendo-ey flourishes.

I am fearful of Revolutionary new multiplayer functions with an online service similar to Xbox Live simply for the possibility of the screen on the controller displaying real time webcam esque video of opponents (the controller has a front facing camera does it not?). Is live streaming video going to be possible to send to the Wii U controller? I really don't want to see someones balls when they attempt to virtually T-bag me in Multiplayer games...
I suspect if there *is* any streaming video, it'll be Friends-only. And if Nintendo ever sees the paragraph you've typed, you can *guarantee* we'll get friends codes in the Wii U :)

(What I'd like to see: Friends Codes tied to parental lock level. 'child' accounts have to connect using friend codes, 'adult' accounts can connect using either FC or simple invites.)

Wasted how? They are a proven talent and would most likely create an amazing SF game. How is that a waste? Because you dont want to play it?

It's a waste because Retro are amazing at creating these huge open worlds. They are so damn fucking good at creating these believable, living worlds. That you just want to explore every single nook and cranny of. Putting that team onto an on rails shooter feels like a waste to me.

It's a waste because Retro are amazing at creating these huge open worlds. They are so damn fucking good at creating these believable, living worlds. That you just want to explore every single nook and cranny of. Putting that team onto an on rails shooter feels like a waste to me.

You're absolutely in the right, and while I think there will always be a place for rail shooters among the core, the Star Fox IP has much more potential to branch out and become a more major Nintendo IP than it has been.

I say they do open up the worlds. Nintendo already wanted to do this in Star Fox 64, which is how we got the awesome "All Range Mode" levels. It would be fantastic if they expanded this even further and had you flying over entire planetary surfaces (ok, maybe not that much but large areas). Sure, they can throw in some on-rails section as well, but in any case, the gameplay will have to evolve. Nintendo aren't going to throw a bunch of money on something meant merely for old school kicks. If Retro are developing a Star Fox, I can see it being something beyond what we've seen in the series, and not at all a waste of their talents.

See I understand where people are coming from with that. However, the best star fox games have been the on rails shooter ones. It's where the series excels, give it to a developer who excels at that.

Easy way to solve this ...

Star Fox Adventures Wii U

This time the whole team is stuck on the planet. Can play as either Fox, Krystal or Falco to get through areas in different ways. Plateformer meets Zelda like gameplay with an awesome combat system. Online Co-Op and team matches.

Rated M!

LOL, but really ... SF Adventures WOULD be something they could do well ... and I want a damn SF adventures 2! But w/e, I still think they might be doing a LoZ spin off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom