• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
Next thread will fill up even faster :p

Oh the woes of being a Nintendo fan

Hooked my friend up with Dolphin so he could play Mario Galaxy 2 (I have it and was just going to let him borrow my wii and the game, but his computer can play the game at 1080p with max aa and as with 3x native rendering) anyways he hasn't ever owned a nintendo console. Though he is going to buy the Wii U. all the games he plays on his 360 are fun and everything but when mario flew around a small group of rocks for the first time in the game to collect coins, he was laughing and we both discussed the Nintendo touch.

TL;DR Being a Nintendo Fan is the only way to truly enjoy video games.

Hey guys, IF the Wii-u had, for example 64 MB of EDRAM How much antialiasing would it do?

And also, How does The EDRAM-Antialiasing relationship go?

Because with some good anti aliasing and Antisotropic Filtering it could look better than those Dolphin pics, Right?

I'm not sure on the technical level, but it would probably be capable of fairly decent MSAA at that point.
Just depends on how developers implement it all.

Neo C.

Hopefully the speculation thread is more reasonable than the last thread I visited (the DICE thread of unholy 2GB). Only because the Wii U is pretty much final and not a phantom like the other two potential consoles.

Hopefully the speculation thread is more reasonable than the last thread I visited (the DICE thread of unholy 2GB). Only because the Wii U is pretty much final and not a phantom like the other two potential consoles.

Dice and Epic can cry and moan all they want, but they don't have to pay for the consoles to be made, so in the end, it's (luckily) not their decision.

z0m3le

Banned
Hey guys, IF the Wii-u had, for example 64 MB of EDRAM How much antialiasing would it do?

And also, How does The EDRAM-Antialiasing relationship go?

Because with some good anti aliasing and Antisotropic Filtering it could look better than those Dolphin pics, Right?

it would make the chip Giant. 32MB edram is pretty big already, and I think you'll see some decent AA on that, when all is said and done.

andthebeatgoeson

I want 4 tablets or more for the complete eradication of splitscreen in games like Mario Kart. In this case, the pad becomes each player's personal screen while the television projects something rudimentary like a map or a scoreboard.

Anyways, UE4 seems reasonable to expect given Nintendo's stated aims but the vibe I felt from the recent power rumors was that the Wii U fell just below the requisite bar. I hope this newest rumor is accurate; if they're bothering with technological parity, I think it's hopeful that Nintendo goes all the way and attempt features parity plus.

I can get behind a scheme where 2 players play on a double split screen and 2 play on the pad, or all 4 play on the pad and the main screen is showing alternating action. 3 players and one gives out items. Or one makes the whole track tilt, shake, get bigger or smaller. Like a lord of the track who can fuck with all 3 players. Hell, if they have enough 'ports', that could be done with 4 upads and a wiimote. A new 5th player approaches, has a birds eye view and shoots crap at different parts of the track, while the 4 play on the pads. They even see the 'eye of sauromon or whatever' looking at them about to blast them with oil.

Berg

Will the WiiU be able to run an app and a game from a disc at the same time? I'd really like to be able to play a game on the upad, while my gf is watching netflix or something.

The Wii would have had UE3 if it would have had fully programmable shaders too, but it wouldn't have had ports of Mass Effect.
I disagree, I think if the Wii had had programmable shaders then it would definitely have gotten ports of the Mass Effect games. I mean, why not? The lack of HD doesn't mean anything, because the games already have to support SD, as not all console owners have HDTV's. And if the game doesn't have to even think about rendering HD, then performance and memory issues aren't nearly as big a deal either.

It was always my point of view that the thing holding the Wii back the most was the lack of a standard OpenGL programmable shader system. A developer can always downconvert detail to get something running on poor hardware, but having to come up with entire new ways of producing graphical effects and lighting, that's just too much work.

Will the WiiU be able to run an app and a game from a disc at the same time? I'd really like to be able to play a game on the upad, while my gf is watching netflix or something.

i'd be very surprised, perhaps some of the more simple apps similar to how you can run the web browser while a game is sort of running on 3ds but nothing more heavy duty like netflix

Nonsense. The 6xxx series of GPUs started development before the Wii U GPU did. The 7xxx series even probably started before the Wii U GPU was designed on the drawing board.

I didn't say that the 6xxx or 7xxx chip weren't in development already. I just said it might not have been feasible to use one of them as the basis when they started deving the Wii-U chip.

Hopefully the speculation thread is more reasonable than the last thread I visited (the DICE thread of unholy 2GB).

That thread is fun. :D

Dice and Epic can cry and moan all they want, but they don't have to pay for the consoles to be made, so in the end, it's (luckily) not their decision.

Maybe they can help foot the bill and then get what they want.

it would make the chip Giant. 32MB edram is pretty big already, and I think you'll see some decent AA on that, when all is said and done.

IBM's eDRAM is pretty small actually. In POWER7 it's 2.1MB per mm^2

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

I don't know if you'll be able to have two different type of content (a game + an app) at the same time, handled by the Wii U.

BUT, it's nearly 100% sure, and a bit of fresh info: in the actual dev kits, a large chunk of the hardware memory is reserved by Nintendo for the OS, for multi-tasking, for the possibility to put your game on hold and go to the OS, run an application, etc. The game is "stored", and you can go back to it instantly. There are applications running in backward also (the internet ones i guess, etc.). Because of this, third-parties have a known memory pool of X GB in dev kit, but Y GB of it is not available for their games (and i don't talk about debugging here).

So in the end i think there are chances that if the game allows it (read: it doesn't need a dual screen setup, so think of a VC Gamecube title), you can play it on one screen, and the other is running a not-ressources-intensive app. At the very least, the hardware is capable of that.

Exactly. I've been thinking recently that it seems EPIC, Crytec etc. hold the power these days with the ha
rdware companies designing their machines around the middleware rather than the other way round.

To be fair this is the first time i've been this intrested in a console launch but was wondering if this has always been the case?

Ithil

UE4 is not some alien technology that needs much power to run on anything. UE4 will run on the Xbox 360 too, if Epic ports it.

People seem to think a new engine will make Samaritan graphics possible instantly, but that's BS. A good engine doesn't suddenly make hardware capable of doing more calculations or more effects. UE3 can already do all the effects and calculations on PC hardware. It's just a framework that may make it easier to access the power needed to do all of it. UE4 will undoubtedly be a better framework than UE3, but it's still going to run on iPads and other low end stuff.

The Wii U will run UE4. That doesn't mean the games look like Samaritan, or better than UE3 games even.

You forget, people who know nothing about video game tech are always the the loudest in any discussion of it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
When is the Nintendo conference? Or isn't that known yet. If not, when do they usually announce the date and time?

It's usually the second conference of the big 3, after Microsoft and before Sony. Though last year they were last.

Date and time should be confirmed in May.

Nibel

I don't know if you'll be able to have two different type of content (a game + an app) at the same time, handled by the Wii U.

BUT, it's nearly 100% sure, and a bit of fresh info: in the actual dev kits, a large chunk of the hardware memory is reserved by Nintendo for the OS, for multi-tasking, for the possibility to put your game on hold and go to the OS, run an application, etc. The game is "stored", and you can go back to it instantly. There are applications running in backward also (the internet ones i guess, etc.). Because of this, third-parties have a known memory pool of X GB in dev kit, but Y GB of it is not available for their games (and i don't talk about debugging here).

So in the end i think there are chances that if the game allows it (read: it doesn't need a dual screen setup, so think of a VC Gamecube title), you can play it on one screen, and the other is running a not-ressources-intensive app. At the very least, the hardware is capable of that.

So just like on the 3DS? Imagine switching to the OS and then open the browser app on the uPad, look for something and then switch right back into the game.. this could be cool.

They did same for 3ds but later open it let them use it if I recall right

Maybe they can help foot the bill and then get what they want.

They really should be doing this. EPIC making money hand over fist at the expense of console manufacturers would seriously piss me off if I worked for MS, Sony, or Nintendo.

It's great that they make fantastic engines and that they're trying to market them, but in NO way should they feel like they can dictate the technical specifications of consoles.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So just like on the 3DS? Imagine switching to the OS and then open the browser app on the uPad, look for something and then switch right back into the game.. this could be cool.

Yeah, but obviously more advanced, with both screens being bigger & better and of course the capabilities of the Wii U.

But the important part in my previous message

In the actual dev kits, a large chunk of the hardware memory is reserved by Nintendo for the OS, for multi-tasking, for the possibility to put your game on hold and go to the OS, run an application, etc. The game is "stored", and you can go back to it instantly. There are applications running in backward also (the internet ones i guess, etc.). Because of this, third-parties have a known memory pool of X GB in dev kit, but Y GB of it is not available for their games (and i don't talk about debugging here).

I was again a bit surprised by the "Y" amount. Developers can't tap, can't draw, from a surprising quantity of memory in v4 dev kits.

So i expect a lot of optimization on the way the OS is handled / all the Wii U background framework, to allow studios to have a greater access to memory. From what i've heard, it really seems that there is a lot of room for improvements, in hardware and software.

To clarify on what was said, it was more along the lines of Nintendo tweaked the Wii U to make sure it can run UE4.

which would explain the recent bump in specs... and apparently Nintendo is still tweaking the hardware. So it could get even better.

Thanks for sharing the info and the clarification. Wish it was a way to confirm your source so that we stop worrying about UE4 compatibility.

Just a precision. The "recent bump in specs" that we talk about since the end of last year/start of January has already benefited the V4 dev kits that third parties have. And according to lherre, the "V5" ones for Nintendo & First Parties (and soon the third i guess if it's not already the case) represent a small increase of FPS in a known engine compare to the V4 (so i guess not the boost in power required if v4 couldn't handle the UE4).

Now, did Nintendo "tweaked the Wii U" even more very recently to run UE4, if it wasn't capable of it before ? That's the question :)

One tidbit that lherre gave us was that Nintendo may be personally testing third party engines and is sharing the progress with developers. The "V5" kit (under a different name according to lherre) was not yet released and was probably still getting tweaked. It is possible that Nintendo was testing the hardware on other engines along with the one lherre has info about.

I find it amazing that Nintendo is testing third party engines to make sure the Wii U is compatible with them. BlackNMild2k1 info does not seem to be farfetched.

Yeah, but obviously more advanced, with both screens being bigger & better and of course the capabilities of the Wii U.

I was again a bit surprised by the "Y" amount. Developers can't tap, can't draw, from a surprising quantity of memory in v4 dev kits.

So i expect a lot of optimization on the way the OS is handled / all the Wii U background framework, to allow studios to have a greater access to memory. From what i've heard, it really seems that there is a lot of room for improvements, in hardware and software.

Very interesting.
I wonder how much they reserved, because I really can't see it being anywhere close to even 100MB.

HylianTom

Banned
Holy crap.. how in hell did I miss that we were so close to the end here!?

Everybody: HEAVE!

galley_slaves.jpg

Well, IdeaMan just posted a nice little tidbit, but sadly no one else is as interested in OS functionality as me.
I'm really hoping that you can access almost any other service while in game. Also hoping for in game screenshots, though.

HylianTom

Banned
Well, IdeaMan just posted a nice little tidbit, but sadly no one else is as interested in OS functionality as me.
I'm really hoping that you can access almost any other service while in game. Also hoping for in game screenshots, though.

I'm wondering if it'd possible to have two programs running at once, regardless of program type. One could have the Nintendo Channel on the tv screen and have an internet browser running on the touchpad, for example..

BY2K

Membero Americo

I read it, but I pretty much expected that. I mean, the 3DS can multi-task. Would be a joke if the Wii U didn't.

I read it, but I pretty much expected that. I mean, the 3DS can multi-task. Would be a joke if the Wii U didn't.

Right, of course the Wii U can multitask. The question is how deep it can.
The 3DS is limited to just 4 programs that it can run while in another program.

HylianTom said:
I'm wondering if it'd possible to have two programs running at once, regardless of program type. One could have the Nintendo Channel on the tv screen and have an internet browser running on the touchpad, for example..

For simpler programs, that could be possible. I wouldn't expect like two different games at once, though.

NeoRausch

Would be cool to make "Screenshots" of, let's say the browser and save them to what them later while playing.

ah fuck it, i wanna use the browser on the tablet while playing!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
All the "Y amount from the X total memory is reserved currently for other things than games, and this amount is surprising", is fresh i think :p

In the end i'll gather the url of these kind of posts and make a new one a few hours later for the different audience of the thread, maybe some gafers didn't read them. It seems a lot of people just come here and don't catch up with the last pages, i understand, it's taking time :(

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo has to nail-down the internet browsing experience on this machine as well. It's what many people use their iPads for, and I can see this as a major bonus feature of the Wii U, being able to surf on the couch with the uPad while they're watching TV.

If the online browsing experience can come near or match the iPad's, I could see Nintendo advertising the hell out of that fact.

Just to clarify on that point, were you surprised on both the "X" and "Y" amount that the Wii U has, or just the "Y" amount?

NeoRausch

Nintendo has to nail-down the internet browsing experience on this machine as well. It's what many people use their iPads for, and I can see this as a major bonus feature of the Wii U, being able to surf on the couch with the uPad while they're watching TV.

If the onlime browsing experience can come near or match the iPad's, I could see Nintendo advertising the hell out of that fact.
I would say the combination of big screen and touchscreen is pretty perfect for browsing.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Just to clarify on that point, were you surprised on both the "X" and "Y" amount that the Wii U has, or just the "Y" amount?

As i said in my previous post concerning the memory, i was surprised by X, because i was expecting roughly 1GB, and i've heard that Nintendo warned third-parties that they aim for more. Not TONS more, and it's an aim, it could change.

And i was surprised by the Y, as i explained in these recent posts.

If the onlime browsing experience can come near or match the iPad's, I could see Nintendo advertising the hell out of that fact.

The browser should be fine, but I am curious what they'll go with.
Opera like the Wii or Access like the 3DS?

As i said in my previous post concerning the memory, i was surprised by X, because i was expecting 1GB, maybe a bit more, and i've heard that Nintendo warned third-parties that they aim for more. Not TONS more, and it's an aim, it could change.

And i was surprised by the Y, because i was expecting OS functions / background things to take less than that. Then, all the other statements & bit of speculation concerning the optimization, etc.

So, 4GB for games and 4GB for OS.
:p

Voice and Video chat should be a given, aside from that services like a browser, twitter, facebook or youtube should be expected to run within the resources alocated to the OS.
I highly doubt that we'll see two demanding tasks at the same time though (2 games for example, or Netflix and a game.)
I'm curious how far Nintendo is even willing to flesh out the potential of this two screen setup. So far we've only heard very traditional an conservative ideas from developers. Hell even Levine whom I think very highly of, only came up with gaming in bed next to his wife...

Again, my main source of concern about the WiiU is that 3rd parties will once again trump each other in a race to see who can do the most worthless implementation of this new controlers interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom