• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the actual dev kits, a large chunk of the hardware memory is reserved by Nintendo for the OS, for multi-tasking, for the possibility to put your game on hold and go to the OS, run an application, etc. The game is "stored", and you can go back to it instantly. There are applications running in backward also (the internet ones i guess, etc.). Because of this, third-parties have a known memory pool of X GB in dev kit, but Y GB of it is not available for their games (and i don't talk about debugging here).

My concern in that is how exactly does that break down. If it does look like 1.5GB + y reserved for the OS, then that's better than I expected even if the OS is big. If y comes from the 1.5GB then it's more inline with what I expect, yet that's an issue IMO for a large OS.

They really should be doing this. EPIC making money hand over fist at the expense of console manufacturers would seriously piss me off if I worked for MS, Sony, or Nintendo.

It's great that they make fantastic engines and that they're trying to market them, but in NO way should they feel like they can dictate the technical specifications of consoles.

Yeah. The licensing fee they pay for their games to be on the consoles aren't going to justify what they want IMO.

UE3 is scalable and I think we'll see a lot of ports of games running that on WiiU.

UE4 is designed for true next gen systems. I don't think WiiU will have the power or memory to run it.

We have nothing to go on right now, but I would assume the basis for what Epic says is a DX11-level GPU and something most likely with a current tessellation unit. That to me is what you have to ask if Wii U's GPU will be capable of for UE4.

Semi-random question I had about a discussion that happens some pages ago but what is the difference between a lot of power being wasted on the controller screen and only a bit of the power? Is having a working in-game UI for menus/options/inventory/maps intensive? Would that lessen the amount of power that can be used for the game itself?

Or is intensive having the game running while having a totally separate kind of thing running on the controller, that is constantly changing with the game. A game in a game.

Semi-random question I had about a discussion that happens some pages ago but what is the difference between a lot of power being wasted on the controller screen and only a bit of the power? Is having a working in-game UI for menus/options/inventory/maps intensive? Would that lessen the amount of power that can be used for the game itself?

Or is intensive having the game running while having a totally separate kind of thing running on the controller, that is constantly changing with the game. A game in a game.

Anything 2D that doesn't have a lot of movement wouldn't be very intensive.
If they try running the same thing on both screens (Like the Bird and Zelda demo) then you're going to be eating a lot more power.

Anything 2D that doesn't have a lot of movement wouldn't be very intensive.
If they try running the same thing on both screens (Like the Bird and Zelda demo) then you're going to be eating a lot more power.
I really hope they don't pointlessly do that stuff then. Unless it adds a great amount to the experience just keep the controller to the basic stuff. Obviously there will be games that will use it in creative and intensive ways I'm sure, but I'd rather it not be shoehorned in. Besides it makes no sense to have the game running in both places at once.

Made sense for the tech demos they showed, but not for actual games.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
That seems reasonable. Just to make sure: a part of Y could go to Z actually?

I was again a bit surprised by the "Y" amount. Developers can't tap, can't draw, from a surprising quantity of memory in v4 dev kits.

That's the "problem", they can't tap from Y, they only have access to Z for their games, and it appears this situation is locked in the relevant dev kits. They can't play around these fixed amount allocated to Y or Z. So i really expect Nintendo to optimize Y which in result will increase Z, and can only help third-parties in their games development. BTW, my sources told me about OS/Background applications and other things, but it could be something else, but it was not for debugging purposes.

ReyVGM

That's the "problem", they can't tap from Y, they only have access to Z for their games, and it appears this situation is locked in the relevant dev kits. They can't play around these fixed amount allocated to Y or Z. So i really expect Nintendo to optimize Y which in result will increase Z, and can only help third-parties in their games development. BTW, my sources told me about OS/Background applications and other things, but it could be something else, but it was not for debugging purposes.

Isn't that sort of what happened with the 3DS? Didn't Nintendo "unlock" more power for devs to use a few months ago?

Nibel

That makes me so mad; casuals give dogshit about E3 and E3 should give dogshit about casuals, journalists and shareholder.

We the kings, yo

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah, except that it only took a year for Nintendo to wise up.
It's taking close to three and counting with MS.

The difference is Nintendo acknowledged it was bad and apologized publicly for their 08 Conference.

Microsoft didn't. I don't even think they realized people hated the 10 and 11 Conferences.

The difference is Nintendo acknowledged it was bad and apologized publicly for their 08 Conference.

Microsoft didn't. I don't even think they realized people hated the 10 and 11 Conferences.

FREE SLIMS TO ALL!
That makes up for showing unfinished games that no one cares about and ESPN apps! Right..?
Guys?

AlStrong

I was surprised by the amount of Y, i said to myself "it seems too much".
So here come my expectations that all is still heavily in flux, that there is a lot of room for improvements, and that Nintendo will optimize Y, in return it will increase Z, and will have an effect on games development.

Any more insane than what the PS3 originally reserved (96/512) for the OS? :p

Nibel

Never forget

t1lEt.gif

No for the bolded equation :p

I said:

So Wii U total ram = X
X = Y + Z

Y = amount of memory from which developers can't tap and is apparently reserved for os/multi-tasking/background
Z = amount of memory available to developers for their games

I was surprised by the amount of Y, i said to myself "it seems too much".
So here come my expectations that all is still heavily in flux, that there is a lot of room for improvements, and that Nintendo will optimize Y, in return it will increase Z, and will have an effect on games development.

Oh ok, now that equation does put things in perspective. Actually.. the way you described the RAM situation matches with what lherre said.

Does "Y" appear to be as ridiculously high as PS3's RAM allocation when it first came out?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'm a bit concerned that you described Y in units of "GB". You've said you were surprised by size of "X" and surprised by the size of "Y", but the million dollar question is... Were you still surprised by the size of "Z"?

antonz

Very interesting.
I wonder how much they reserved, because I really can't see it being anywhere close to even 100MB.

I could see Nintendo doing what they did with the 3DS and being over cautious at least initially and reserving alot then cutting back of reserves as stuff is streamlined.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Disturbs me every single time I see it.
I have to look at Kinectimals ads at work around 50 times a day. Plays automatically through the Xbox 360 demo kiosk set up. Though it's a good source for animated GIFs.

Nilaul

Unless they're going with HD Cross Game Video Chat where you can edit in your own effects real time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eniBUtc4Uws

Theres going to be video calls but that app would be rather useless if it wasn't something popular being used. So that will defintely will be skype. Perhaps cross-talk will aslo be done using skype.

How much ram does Skype need?

So presumingly Nintendo would want it to be most connected console, they could also have a FB app running real time. Perhaps combining skype with Facebook like it has already been done.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Woah woah woah, I just saw on the IGN forum that someone in here, with an inside source, said that Nintendo was tweaking the Wii U so it could run UE4.

You better not be playing with my heart, man! Or I'm gonna hurt!

Instro

Woah woah woah, I just saw on the IGN forum that someone in here, with an inside source, said that Nintendo was tweaking the Wii U so it could run UE4.

You better not be playing with my heart, man! Or I'm gonna hurt!

A couple pages back yes.

Who was it? I'm all up in this thread and I don't recall it.

I've just heard it from a friend that Epic has UE3 & UE4 up and running on Wii U hardware.

His source works for a developer, one that I shall not name, but they do work on pretty much every system. So that alleviates any concerns that I didn't have over the Wii U power issue as far as I'm concerned.

Dunno how much stock I'd put into it, but it's there.

guek

Banned
Normally I'd think that "I heard from a friend" is bullshit, but at the same time he is a long time gaf member so that makes him a bit more trustworthy I suppose.

Best to just take it with a huge grain of salt. We all want to believe, just don't go running around telling everyone UE4 is confirmed for Wii U.

AzaK

You forgot the more positive part :p

Sure, but it still doesn't sound too good simply because we assumed X amount of RAM and were speculating on a whole lot. I was assuming the majority of that would be for games, but it seems like there's a considerable amount locked for the OS.

It's all speculation though of course because we don't really know what it will have, or what devs want and can do with 1GB, 1.5GB, 2GB or the 4-8GB that will be definitely be in the final units based on what Crytek and DICE have said.

Just think about this, guys. There is someone among us who knows something huge, and they aren't even hinting that they know. How does this make you feel?
Not too bad, it's the teases like Ideaman, lherre etc that make me anxious ;)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not too surprising, since all the others have been on Nintendo systems.
Still, good to hear that the eShop should be up at launch.

Are you sure the eShop is going to be shared with the 3DS and the Wii U? That the Wii U won't get its own shop?

Are you saying a "UE4 on WiiU confirmed" thread would be a bad idea?!

Depends on if you're intentionally baiting news sites or not. :p
Are you sure the eShop is going to be shared with the 3DS and the Wii U? That the Wii U won't get its own shop?

I think parts will be shared. With the upcoming ability to buy stuff on the eShop via other devices, I think that they're looking to make it more like PSN's Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom