• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? because we've gone in so many circles and ups and downs it's not even funny.

Yeah, but those ups and downs were only pronounced whenever a new event came along, which wasn't very often.

The Smash Dojo went through those every single night like some schizophrenic rollercoaster.

AzaK

Do you like oldschool/2D platformers???

While I'm not a big 2d Mario player, I was a gamer from the early days and played my fair share of platformers. I love ones that require a bit of puzzle solving, as opposed to the straight sonic style ones where it's only about getting from start to end and jumping.

Imagine the e3 conference is totally underwhelming. How funny will our 3 or 4 official topics be.
Please, do not suggest such things.

Oh god you made me envision Nintendo doing their conference, getting some reasonable buzz and showing some hot demos and then MS or Soy announcing their behemoth next gen system and showing Samaritan running on it. I would bet my left nut that if that happend the gaming press would be filled with 'Nintendo going previous gen again' and the competition would be drooled over for the next 5 years.

While I'm not a big 2d Mario player, I was a gamer from the early days and played my fair share of platformers. I love ones that require a bit of puzzle solving, as opposed to the straight sonic style ones where it's only about getting from start to end and jumping.

So you're more of a Braid guy than a SMB3 guy? Personally my fav platformers are all about jumping/maneuvers and speed, as well as it being a type of puzzle to figure out the fastest route.

Anth0ny

Imagine the e3 conference is totally underwhelming. How funny will our 3 or 4 official topics be.

It will be totally underwhelming. No way it could live up to one full year of hype.

Regardless...

eWQ5U.jpg

It's time once again for everybody to come aboard the HYYYYYYPE TRAIN!

hatchx

Banned
It will be totally underwhelming. No way it could live up to one full year of hype.

Wii's E3 blowout had Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Zelda in final stages, Red Steel, Excite Truck, the exclusive Sonic game, Metroid Prime 3....

.....er I guess you're right. Even though seeing Galaxy was hype.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well I'm done moving (mostly at least). Took all day and was such a bitch. Now I have to wake up early tomorrow and I just realized an hour was skipped 10 minutes ago.... So much for 7 hours of sleep. :(

But at least we are a hour closer to E3! Goodnight everyone, see you in Wii U |ST| Tri.

frostbyte

Hey, it'll never happen, but what if Nintendo made a shock announcement at E3 that they bought back Rare?

Why would Nintendo buy a company that is only a shadow of its former self? I don't think Nintendo could restructure Rare to the point where they can pump out good games like before.

Anyway, on this topic, what company would we want Nintendo to buy out? Realistically speaking, of course.

GCX

Wii's E3 blowout had Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Zelda in final stages, Red Steel, Excite Truck, the exclusive Sonic game, Metroid Prime 3....

.....er I guess you're right. Even though seeing Galaxy was hype.
Wii unveiling was one of the few times when the show matched the hype. The beginning with Miyamoto as a orchestra conductor was pretty cool.

Why would Nintendo buy a company that is only a shadow of its former self? I don't think Nintendo could restructure Rare to the point where they can pump out good games like before.

Anyway, on this topic, what company would we want Nintendo to buy out? Realistically speaking, of course.

Platinum Games, Team Meat (just give them a full studio I guess), Grasshopper, From, Treasure. Would all be great buys.

Cookychan

Banned

Team Meat, Valve (but only partly to make a semi-exclusive series), and if they could reconstruct them, Rare as I said. Nicalis would be SUH-WEET too.

Next Level Games and Monster Games would be the most realistic ones.

Treasure seems like a pretty realistic buy. And if Nintendo was willing to pour a huge bank of cash into From and Platinum, those would be good buys. Team Meat, as a studio could pump out western DD/Retail games at a high quality level, so that would be a good buy.

But Treasure would obviously be the most "realistic".

Edit: Oh yeah, Vanilla Ware too. :)

frostbyte

Platinum Games, Team Meat (just give them a full studio I guess), Grasshopper, From, Treasure. Would all be great buys.

Platinum Games and Grasshopper are great devs but noone would realistically buy them out. Their games are niche and their fanbase comparatively small.

Next Level Games and Monster Games would be the most realistic ones.

Yes, I was thinking of Monster Games when I was posing this question. Nintendo giving them a bit of experienced staff and guidance and they might be able to create something as good as F-Zero GX.

Anth0ny

From Software.

And Rare, damn it! =(

Platinum Games and Grasshopper are great devs but noone would realistically buy them out. Their games are niche and their fanbase comparatively small.

Yes, I was thinking of Monster Games when I was posing this question. Nintendo giving them a bit of experienced staff and guidance and they might be able to create something as good as F-Zero GX.

NLG and Monster working with Nintendo doesn't really excite me, at all. But the ones I mentioned working alongside Nintendo do. Fact is Nintendo needs these types of teams in the future, and NLG/Monster won't expand the fanbase the same ways a From Software buy would. All those dev's bring something entirely new and fresh (and inevitably exclusive) to a Nintendo console that hasn't been there in that capacity before. Maybe we shouldn't just be reaching for "realistically speaking", maybe it's long term and "best case scenario speaking". Provides IP from both Japan and western influences too.

frostbyte

NLG and Monster working with Nintendo doesn't really excite me, at all. But the ones I mentioned working alongside Nintendo do. Fact is Nintendo needs these types of teams in the future, and NLG/Monster won't expand the fanbase the same ways a From Software buy would. All those dev's bring something entirely new and fresh (and inevitably exclusive) to a Nintendo console that hasn't been there in that capacity before. Maybe we shouldn't just be reaching for "realistically speaking", maybe it's long term and "best case scenario speaking". Provides IP from both Japan and western influences too.

I can agree with this. Not realistic but Nintendo should consider it in order to expand their output. In fact, Nintendo should purchase more western studios. Maybe buy and reconstruct Silicon Knights?

GCX

I could see Nintendo doing a project in collaboration with From Software but they'd never buy them out. The problem with takeovers like that is that you never know what the aftermath is. We've seen many cases (including Rare) where a company buys a studio they've never worked with before and in result many of the key staff members jump the ship. If the staff doesn't like to work exclusively for Nintendo consoles, there's no advantage for Nintendo to buy them.

That's why Nintendo only acquires studios they've been working with for a long time (Retro, Monolith, etc.). They know the studio structure won't change dramatically after the acquisition. If they want to have a studio to make new kind of games (like FPS games or something), they should just form a new studio for that or do it in collaboration with someone.

last year E3 should had been a easy win for them their did good but the mess that happen when their show the Wii U only one or two times in the back far away. This year should be a 2nd easy win unless MS has something more then tech demos and a cgi Halo they have every year Big N really need to get all the 3rd partys

as for Rare their be better of starting up some new guys or making one their have now bigger

Hiltz

Nintendo said that it will be doing more collaborations with third-parties in the future. Perhaps that is what Nintendo needs to focus on instead of just acquiring more developers. I mean, what better way to show your support to a third-party than by choosing to publish their game on your platform ? Besides, Nintendo can have the option to buy the rights to the IP if the developer agrees to sell it. That way, Nintendo can still obtain build new franchises on top of its classic ones.

z0m3le

Banned
Would be like buying a dead body and carting it up on stage. So pretty shocking I guess.

I laughed for a good 30 seconds here, thank you.

With the Value of THQ's stock being somewhere around 50million, I think Nintendo should just buy them, seriously they wouldn't have to worry too much about developers leaving, because it's a developer house, there are multiple smaller developers so the structure of the company wouldn't change much (sort of like when EA buys out companies)

I really just think Nintendo could gain a lot from a western developer like them.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I suggest we name the next one 'Mind the spoilers'.

Nibel

Wild theory time!

Nintendo told Retro to prepare a new Metroid Prime for the Wii U. Metroid Prime is based on an heavily modified Unreal 2 engine. They want the next Unreal engine and tell Nintendo that the system needs to be more powerful. Nintendo powers up their console and talks to Epic. Nintendo gets a newer version of UE; I can't say which. Maybe 4 which would explain the NDA for Epic?

I just woke up 5 minutes ago :lol

Instro

Wild theory time!

Nintendo told Retro to prepare a new Metroid Prime for the Wii U. Metroid Prime is based on an heavily modified Unreal 2 engine. They want the next Unreal engine and tell Nintendo that the system needs to be more powerful. Nintendo powers up their console and talks to Epic. Nintendo gets a newer version of UE; I can't say which. Maybe 4 which would explain the NDA for Epic?

IIRC, Prime being based on the Unreal engine was actually fake.

z0m3le

Banned
I could see Nintendo doing a project in collaboration with From Software but they'd never buy them out. The problem with takeovers like that is that you never know what the aftermath is. We've seen many cases (including Rare) where a company buys a studio they've never worked with before and in result many of the key staff members jump the ship. If the staff doesn't like to work exclusively for Nintendo consoles, there's no advantage for Nintendo to buy them.

That's why Nintendo only acquires studios they've been working with for a long time (Retro, Monolith, etc.). They know the studio structure won't change dramatically after the acquisition. If they want to have a studio to make new kind of games (like FPS games or something), they should just form a new studio for that or do it in collaboration with someone.

Tell this all to EA, since EA doesn't do the above at all, yet the companies they buy keep their talent just fine. I think the key is to buy bigger companies with multiple dev teams like THQ (I really do think this is the most realistic buy out for a western studio and Nintendo)

Cookychan

Banned
Wild theory time!

Whuuuuuut

lednerg

With the Value of THQ's stock being somewhere around 50million, I think Nintendo should just buy them, seriously they wouldn't have to worry too much about developers leaving, because it's a developer house, there are multiple smaller developers so the structure of the company wouldn't change much (sort of like when EA buys out companies)

I really just think Nintendo could gain a lot from a western developer like them.

Plus they could re-purpose all of those extra uDraw tablets they have in stock into something useful for the Wii U...

no, not really

z0m3le

Banned
Plus they could re-purpose all of those extra uDraw tablets they have in stock into something useful for the Wii U...

no, not really

If we are talking about companies that can expand Nintendo's talents and abilities, THQ has a lot to offer them, not only could Nintendo release their core IPs more often with THQ's extra dev houses, but Nintendo could try their hands at a in house FPS, new adventure games with a more western feel, THQ has a pretty wide range of value to bring to Nintendo, and all Nintendo would have to do is put up less than what too human cost to make (since some people mentioned silicon knights) I just see Nintendo gaining a lot from a THQ purchase, not just 1 or 2 new IPs, but also expanding their developer numbers by something like a dozen? teams.

ultrazilla

This thread moves so fast. What's the latest on memory? What are the chances Nintendo will bump or even has 4 gig set aside for it? Could Nintendo theoretically give developers 4 gig to help develop their games but have the system set at 2 gig? Or would that not be possible/productive?

z0m3le

Banned
Damn, didn't even realise it was Spring forward day till you said that. I love that I get my news from a Wii U speculation thread.

You're the only one :p

This thread moves so fast. What's the latest on memory? What are the chances Nintendo will bump or even has 4 gig set aside for it? Could Nintendo theoretically give developers 4 gig to help develop their games but have the system set at 2 gig? Or would that not be possible/productive?

This is actually how the dev box is said to work, though those numbers are just speculation, we know that last year, devs had dev kits with over 1GB of ram available in the Wii U console and about twice that in the dev kits (standard practice for the industry I guess)

As to how much more than 1GB the Wii U has, we have heard that it was a surprise to some, and that it was more than just a little bit over 1GB, I think it's responsible to assume 2GBs at this point.

guek

Banned

It's not getting 4GB of memory. It'll be 2GB at the absolute highest, and most people are expecting less.

TriGen

Most people see it being between 1.5 GB-2 GB, I really doubt Nintendo goes higher then that.

Nibel

It's not getting 4GB of memory. It'll be 2GB at the absolute highest, and most people are expecting less.

I think we can all agree on that. 2GB would be amazing, but I think that it's going to be a more crazy random number like 1426MB.. it's Nintendo.

Maxrunner

If the DK3D rumor and what we've heard about people leaving Retro lately are both true, then I think it's obvious they would have rather done an original IP.

To be clear, I'm just theorizing about rumors here. I really don't know shit.

EDIT:

Yup.

There were new acquisitions for Retro. Not sure about new members leaving...

TriGen

I think we can all agree on that. 2GB would be amazing, but I think that it's going to be a more crazy random number like 1426MB.. it's Nintendo.

That would be hilarious, everyone would be technically wrong, Nintendo RAM troll confirmed.

luffeN

It could be 2 GB and a quarter of that is reserved for OS stuff. I know that it would probably a bit too much for an OS, but Ideaman was surprised about the locked amount for it.

Nibel

It could be 2 GB and a quarter of that is reserved for OS stuff. I know that it would probably a bit too much for an OS, but Ideaman was surprised about the locked amount for it.

Yeah, but he also said that the OS could be unoptimized and that in the final revision it could need less RAM which would add more RAM to the amount the developers are allowed to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom