• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts exactly. It seems like this guy just took the bits of info we already now, some stuff he knows/has heard, took some logical guesses and pieced it all together.
It's not very convincing, nor is there any substantial information in there.

It's all very vague.

wsippel

Banned
I'm still very cautious about that alleged spec bump. I believe I was the first to mention the improved late 2011 kits on B3D and GAF, but that story immediately developed a life of its own and got blown way out of proportion. I wrote that there were a few improvements and that it exceeds some initial targets, yet many people took that as a massive spec bump and reported it as such. I personally don't know how substantial the improvements were, but I really, really hope the sites mentioning it now aren't just riding that wave.

I'm still very cautious about that alleged spec bump. I believe I was the first to mention the improved late 2011 kits on B3D and GAF, but that story immediately developed a life of its own and got blown way out of proportion. I wrote that there were a few improvements and that it exceeds some initial targets, yet many people took that as a massive spec bump and reported it as such. I personally don't know how substantial the improvements were, but I really, really hope the sites mentioning it now aren't just riding that wave.

Personally, I don't give a shit what any "news" site says.
We have our own sources here that I trust far more, simply because we can question them ourselves.

Let's hope Nintendo actually suprises and listens to us hardcore and core gamers. I want a console which is some sort of a powerhouse (Quad core Power 7 based CPU, HD4870/6670/7770 based GPU, 2GB RAM and atleast 16GB Flash memory). I will laugh my *** off if Nintendo will be stupid enough to release a $299 with PS3 like performance and 50% extra performance falls into that category.

z0m3le

Banned

I think it was a couple things, There was also that someone on this board, posted about a popular 3rd party engine (which we all assumed was UE3) was being tested on the Wii U by Nintendo and that they were tweaking the dev kit to run it better.

That a lot is a huge step in the right direction, but also Nintendo's in house dev kit will likely be circulating to devs this week, and Nintendo will have another version that they are working on. I think that just is part of GDC.

Then there was another rumor about Ram increasing. but when you combined the rumors, you can tell it's from more than one source.

DarkChild

Banned
So you are the source of spec bumps? It went from 1.5-2x PS360 to 5x of them. I honestly don't know how they bumped specs that much, seems fishy.

What's the chance that the white Wii U controller is going to turn yellow like my white Wii remote and my DS lite?

Erm, do you sweat a lot? Or keep the controllers exposed to sunlight a lot? Because both my remotes and DS are fine after years of constant use...

z0m3le

Banned
Erm, do you sweat a lot? Or keep the controllers exposed to sunlight a lot? Because both my remotes and DS are fine after years of constant use...

Yeah, I've had mine since launch, still white as the day I bought them... and I have mariokart players that actually like using just the wiimote.

MarkusRJR

Wash your hands, man...
I have a hardcore cleanliness OCD with my electronics, so trust me my hands are clean. Nintendo's white products just hate me.

My hands would be painfully dry if I washed them any more than I do. Maybe it's just my hand's natural oils or something?

EDIT: It's only really the analog stick (nunchuk), d-pad (Wii remote), and shoulder buttons (DS lite) that change colour for some reason, the rest of the plastic remains the same. Maybe it's due to the material used?

I have a hardcore cleanliness OCD with my electronics, so trust me my hands are clean. Nintendo's white products just hate me.

My hands would be painfully dry if I washed them any more than I do. Maybe it's just my hand's natural oils or something?

Dunno.
My launch Wiimote and even my launch Arctic White GBA are both the same color as when I got them.
I didn't even know there was a yellowing problem.

z0m3le

Banned

EDIT: It's only really the analog stick (nunchuk), d-pad (Wii remote), and shoulder buttons (DS lite) that change colour for some reason, the rest of the plastic remains the same. Maybe it's due to the material used?

so rubberized parts, well I've seen those get yellow, I think it would likely be from your rubbing away any coating it might of gotten, though since I've never had it happen to my own, I wouldn't know, but yes, I've seen gamecube analog sticks become yellow before.

all I can say is that you either play with your wii too much (sexual jokes aside) or your hands are either too oily/sweaty or the opposite and that rubs away the natural material of the rubberized analog/d-pad of those controllers.

So you are the source of spec bumps? It went from 1.5-2x PS360 to 5x of them. I honestly don't know how they bumped specs that much, seems fishy.

Who's to say they bumped the specs that much? No one actually knows how powerful the Wii U was last year or how powerful it is now. Even if it's revealed to be at the bleeding edge of technology at this E3, nothing says it wasn't close to that last year. People are getting these numbers by taking vague statements from developers, determining how many x Wii U is than 360 based on those statements, and then rationalizing their conclusion with more specific spec guesses after the fact. It's such a backwards way of figuring things out that I think the amount of confusion has actually resulted in a less clear view of what the consoles can do than we had before.

Cipherr

The real killer will be if you can use it for web browsing, Netflix, Skype, etc. They could make it an iPad killer.

If it doesnt have wifi, and cannot do absolutely everything my tablet can do, this aint gonna happen. Just saying, there are some minor overlap in the two industries, but they arent THAT large. Im not going to be replacing my tablet with a WiiU pad, and the same applies vice versa.

z0m3le

Banned
If it doesnt have wifi, and cannot do absolutely everything my tablet can do, this aint gonna happen. Just saying, there are some minor overlap in the two industries, but they arent THAT large. Im not going to be replacing my tablet with a WiiU pad, and the same applies vice versa.

There is a lot of people that causally use Tablets, especially as coffee table tech toys, I'm one of those people, and I think the Wii U will eat into that market some.

Cheebo

Banned
The real killer will be if you can use it for web browsing, Netflix, Skype, etc. They could make it an iPad killer.

Um what? Maybe a Kindle Fire killer but iPad is far more than a media device. It has advanced contention creation software for photo editing, movie editing, document creation, etc. It's a computer.

Snakeyes

Oddduck

If a site is going to post a rumor, even if its bullshit, at least make it something interesting. Don't just take a Neogaf thread and regurgitate the information.

It seems like they want to take the safe route on rumors so it doesn't damage the site's reputation after E3.

My sources are saying it's 2x more powerful than 360 and 2 GB ram...along with a million other sources.

Even if IGN's 5x the 360 rumor is wrong, it at least sparked debate and conversation.

tkscz

So I didn't have internet for two days - anything important/exciting I missed ?

nope-avi-entry-cover.jpg

Nope

Rösti;35923157 said:
I believe "3.9" is a description made by journalists and enthusiasts. Epic Games just describes it as Unreal Engine 3 takes game engine graphics to the next level with “Samaritan". Though I could be wrong.

http://www.udk.com/showcase-samaritan
http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/GDC2011/Epic.pdf

Mark Rein said it to VG247 in reference to Samaritan
http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/03/epic-reveals-mind-blowing-unreal-tech
At the end of the day, though, this isn’t Unreal 4. It’s still definitely Unreal 3, Rein was quick to clarify. He added, however, that if this were to be given a number, it’d be Unreal 3.975. He also noted that this is a bigger leap than the one between Unreal 2 and Unreal 3 – and it shows. On top of that, it’s versatile as all get-out.

tkscz

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/a...look-into-the-wii-u.250088032/#post-251371273

The guy who did that NintendoEthusiast thread is a regular poster on the Wii IGN board. His name is Menashe and he's original poster of that thread.

If anyone is an IGN poster, here's your chance to grill him in that thread with questions to find out how credible that interview is.

I can already tell you his interview is just reading this thread.
Lots of sites do that, where they'll take info from GAF or CAG and post it as "exclusives".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom