• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting for the day someone comes up with an "overworld hub" OS, with a world that expands and has little easter eggs added to it as you buy new games...

Someday... =(

The problem is that that kind of setup is far to unintuitive (see PSHome).
It's a neat little idea, but people want instant gratification.

Probably specialguy :lol

Nah, if that was the case, the story would say it could barely run UE 2.9.

Akai

The problem is that that kind of setup is far to unintuitive (see PSHome).
It's a neat little idea, but people want instant gratification.

Oh, but of course it's not instantuitive (not sure if anyone has ever used this made-up word I just came up with off the top of my head, but it's mine now), but if I were designing such a concept I'd have all the important necessities easily accessible from, say, a TV that has the Wii/3DS channel setup on it. The rest of the world I picture as being a mix between Animal Crossing and Wuhu Island, with areas to explore and build up with additions from games you buy...

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Getting back to this article
I do hope somebody can eloborate / speculate on the significance of
Nintendo purchasing Mobiclip:

A news about this acquisition

And the official website

It was previously named Actimagine

Beside their video compressing technology & other things for Nintendo handleds, a lot of us know them for the smartphone application to watch TV.

In addition to movies in games, they worked on mobile TV and VOD (thanks to their technology), so we can guess there will be such services on the Wii U (well, with the Nintendo Channel, Netflix-like & all, we know it will already be the case, but Mobiclip will surely help that).

We already have to worry about Ninjas.
We're not bringing the Order into this.
how do you know they aren't one in the same

Oh, but of course it's not instantuitive (not sure if anyone has ever used this made-up word I just came up with off the top of my head, but it's mine now), but if I were designing such a concept I'd have all the important necessities easily accessible from, say, a TV that has the Wii/3DS channel setup on it. The rest of the world I picture as being a mix between Animal Crossing and Wuhu Island, with areas to explore and build up with additions from games you buy...
it's one of those things that sounds like a good idea and would be cool for us, but seems like pointless work for them

Nibel

I swear by god I can remember a game on Dreamcast that had you running around a HUB planet when played online..

And don't forget: Nintendo is going to Dreamcast themselves with the Wii U.

Akai

it's one of those things that sounds like a good idea and would be cool for us, but seems like pointless work for them

I actually agree, but with the increased social focus of consoles these days and Ninty's own SpotPass and built-in games, I think this will become more and more a logical jump somewhere down the line...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
86 days feels like years away, I doubt were going to hear anything from now until E3 now.
Not counting the scheduled trade shows (PAX East, WonderCon etc.) Nintendo will appear on, there are a few events from which there might come some new Wii U details:

Record Date for Year-End Dividends for the 72nd Fiscal Year
Saturday, March 31, 2012

I have no idea what will be presented, but almost always Nintendo shares something about their upcoming plans in conjunction with financial events.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

Q1 2012 Advanced Micro Devices Earnings Conference Call
Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:00 p.m. PT

AMD at its 2012 Financial Analyst Day talked about the fact that developing GPUs and similar for game consoles has become a fundamental part of their business, and I believe they referenced Wii U here. During this earnings conference call, it would be smart of them to provide something new or at least a hint on what they have been doing with the Wii U GPU. A confirmation of some sort detailing they are indeed behind the graphics chip should anyway be a given. There is also always a Q&A session, so hopefully someone will ask about the console... or we can persuade someone to do it.

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-eventDetails&EventId=4723953

Starlight Foundation's A Stellar Night
Thursday, May 17, 2012

I have suggested before that Nintendo may announce upgraded Fun Center Mobile Entertainment Units, now with Wii U, at this event. Though I doubt any technical details or so will surface, but it still would be news.

http://www.starlight.org/events/

IBM 1Q 2012 Earnings Announcement
Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 16:30/04:30 p.m ET

This will most likely be very lengthy and not for everyone due to the business jargon used frantically, but if you are patient you often can find golden nuggets through IBM's financial events, and just as with AMD there will be a Q&A session connected.

http://www.ibm.com/investor/events/

There's also the possibility of one or more Nintendo Direct broadcasts, and since the most recent one was all about Nintendo 3DS, it would be rather boring with a rerun, so perhaps they'll share some Wii U details here. In the freak happening of Nintendo not showing the console at all at E3 (which has a possibility of approximately 3,720 to 1), there's the The 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders by the end of June.

Nibel

Gross. I normally just laugh at that guy and move on, but that was just stupid. But to be fair I didn't watch the video either when I saw that mentioned with the link.

To be fair: the guy who asked Pach wanted to know if Nintendo will Dreamcast themselves and then Pach said that Nintendo will Dreamcast themselves. :lol

Nintendo's image in the industry as a whole is hilarious and sad at the same time.

radcliff

86 days feels like years away, I doubt were going to hear anything from now until E3 now.

NCL will probably have an investor/shareholders meeting late April to go over 2011 year-end financials. They had one on April 26th last year for 2010 year-end results. We could get some info then. They could also do another Nintendo Direct between now and E3 with some Wii U news.

I actually agree, but with the increased social focus of consoles these days and Ninty's own SpotPass and built-in games, I think this is becoming more and more a logical jump somewhere down the line...

Well, when we can build a fully world wide virtual world like OZ in Summer Wars, then it'll be awesome.
But we're ages away from that.

BlackJace

Maybe Akai was trying to say that the OS should have themes from past Nintendo classics. I guess the Settings Menu could be a Space Station from Metroid, the Game Menu could be World 1-1 from Mario, the Music Menu could be Kirby with his Maestro costume from Super Star, and so and so forth.

To be fair: the guy who asked Pach wanted to know if Nintendo will Dreamcast themselves and then Pach said that Nintendo will Dreamcast themselves. :lol

Nintendo's image in the industry as a whole is hilarious and sad at the same time.

Well then yeah he's just being stupid.

I'll go with bad :p

Probably a reason no one talks about it.

From what I know Satellaview seemed very nice.

Beaten.

Nilaul

Sighs, if nintendo went through all the trouble beafing up the hardware to be able to run unreal 3.9, I see no reason why they can't slightly beef it up a bit more. That 0.1 seems to me a minimal difference.

BlackJace

Sighs, if nintendo went through all the trouble beafing up the hardware to be able to run unreal 3.9, I see no reason why they can't slightly beef it up a bit more. That 0.1 seems to me a minimal difference.

Minimal difference to us, "bother-some" to them.

tkscz

Umm... cost? Sorry but that was so blatantly obvious. Nintendo is trying to find a balance in power and price. Plus, again, that article is bull.

Nilaul

Minimal difference to us, "bother-some" to them.

To the developers in the future it would be a bother, but nintendo already beefed up the hardware. Im sure Nintendo can beef it up slightly more, Im sure they see the positive of this.

This why im not believing this article, if the the scale was propotionall to spec needed, it makes no sense for Nintendo for not to spend 5 dollars more on hardware.

Nibel

Unreal 3.9 or 3.5 are just stupid marketing terms that mean nothing.

UE4 is probably going to be a beefed up Samaritan and I don't think the gap to that will be that huge. Rein tries to hype the shit out of it.

What video?
posted at the end of a page ago

anyway point is, I think it was a stupid product. You guys might appreciate the END result, which is what I said, it's a good idea for US, but it's pointless work for them. The Satellaview wasn't even a good implementation. You needed to buy a separate tuner if you didn't have one, AND you needed a membership fee paid to get the content. There is a reason only few people subbed to begin with, and then that number dropped dramatically before being discontinued. They were probably all wtf is this and why am I paying for it.

BlackJace

To the developers in the future it would be a bother, but nintendo already beefed up the hardware. Im sure Nintendo can beef it up slightly more, Im sure they see the positive of this.

I agree with you, its just that unfortunately, I think Ninty wants this thing out of the door soon. Not that they're necessarily rushing, but I think they've revised the hardware more than they've liked too.

And like Ace said, don't look too far into that article.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It was actually pretty cool.
Nintendo had a full connected console years before anyone else.
The problem was that it wasn't really feasible to be released to most people.
My favorite puzzle game, Sutte Hakkun, is actually for Satellaview. That'd be a great game for Nintendo 3DS by the way. Speaking about online, there's also the Famicom Modem (didn't provide for online play though).

ReyVGM

posted at the end of a page ago

anyway point is, I think it was a stupid product. You guys might appreciate the END result, which is what I said, it's a good idea for US, but it's pointless work for them. The Satellaview wasn't even a good implementation. You needed to buy a separate tuner if you didn't have one, AND you needed a membership fee paid to get the content. There is a reason only few people subbed to begin with, and then that number dropped dramatically before being discontinued. They were probably all wtf is this and why am I paying for it.

Well, the discussion was about the "OS" hub, which it was cool and not about if the Satellaview was stupid or not (it wasn't).

Well, the discussion was about the "OS" hub, which it was cool and not about if the Satellaview was stupid or not (it wasn't).
I'm sure it was discontinued and never spoken of again because it was a good idea :p

Also I don't see what Nintendo gains from it. They could do a separate optional thing like Home for Sony, which actually makes Sony profit, but I don't see why they would. Seems....pointless.

I'm sure it was discontinued and never spoken of again because it was a good idea :p

Also I don't see what Nintendo gains from it. They could do a separate optional thing like Home for Sony, which actually makes Sony profit, but I don't see why they would. Seems....pointless.

It has been brought up many times since even the GC days that Nintendo should make an Animal Crossing like online HUB world (and later a Mii one).
I don't see it happening any time soon, though.

It has been brought up many times since even the GC days that Nintendo should make an Animal Crossing like online HUB world (and later a Mii one).
I don't see it happening any time soon, though.
by fans, but not by nintendo personnel as far as I've seen, but either way, not happening.

UIs are moving toward simplicity, tis the future (errr present).

Good job Pyro. This thread will end with you being #2.

Took you long enough. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom