• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

There are some new screenshots & footage of Project Cars on the official website :)
Still no Wii U logo but it's beautiful !

Wasn't the Wii U logo removed from the website?

Also, with this Playstation All-Star Battle Royale, all but confirmed for GT.TV this week. Could we re-visit Paul Gale's other rumors? Or is it a lucky break?

guek

Banned
I have noticed this thread has a pattern:

- stage 1: Overhyping of Wii U's power, gets out of control.

-stage 2: Some dev or anonymous source or article basically slashes those rumors, confirms Wii U will not be a powerhouse

-stage 3: Thread retreats, somber, for a time, but then in the absence of any new info, slowly but surely starts overestimating the specs and getting overheated again...

stage 2 and 3 form a loop...

Only for newer posters. Thread regulars have been pretty consistent, not that I'd expect you to notice.

-stage 2: Some dev or anonymous source or article basically slashes those rumors, confirms Wii U will not be a powerhouse

-stage 3: Thread retreats, somber, for a time, but then in the absence of any new info, slowly but surely starts overestimating the specs and getting overheated again...

returns to stage 2-3 loop...

If you want to oversimplify and group all thread posters into one collective abstraction, then yes! If you perused the posts more closely, however, you'd notice that most of the members who've been around since the first thread are fairly consistent in their expectations.

Edit: What Guek said.

Shut the fuck up, dude.

Edit: And no one in this thread that visits regularly has had any high expectations. The most optimistic are expecting a ps2-GCN-Xbox parity

<Wii Hype Stages Theory>

I'm a bad programmer. Let me rephrase myself...

We get lots of people coming in to push their opinion of the system in either direction. We get a fair amount of "This FUCKIN company!" posts and posts assuming the worst case scenario. Sometimes, the thread attacks those people, largely because a lot of people coming in with that attitude are trying to start a fight or to troll others. Sometimes this is not the case, and some good posters get lost (Ark[h]am was an example in this direction, I believe).

Positive news builds a happy community, though, so people with optimistic hype are treated better. Still, a strong majority of people here have pretty reasonable expectations of the system's performance, and most of the posts saying stuff like "IT MUST HAVE 4GB!" are by folks who are kidding around.

Nibel

You forgot

- Stage 4: specialguy shows up for whatever reason and tries to create some kind of controversy by posting bitter crap and fails like always

DynamicG

I don't see anyone in the last couple of pages going crazy about specs. There's been some vague discussion of of a compiler change and even burntpork didn't jump onto the "added a 4th core" deep end.

I can see where there is a pattern of hype going on, but it seems to actually reduce in overall quantity with each cycle. We are currently in a pretty calm period for this thread.

Now if we want to talk about the cycle where folks pop in randomly to make fun of the thread and shake the hive then that may change your results.

BurntPork

Banned
Uh oh. I think I've heard language like that before. My alarm is going-off.
Wii U definitely makes no sense at all, so I'll take it as a flat-out no.

j/k
Good point BP, but Nintendo likes very fast memory so they will go with GDDR5 no doubt
Maybe, maybe not. GDDR5 is very hot and expensive.
I saw bg mentioned a few times while scrolling. Whatever it is I blame Burntpork.

And that was some interesting info wsippel found.
I thought you liked me. :(

also kidding

Guys, I don't get where you're saying the bird demo looked better, performance-wise, in the on-floor footage vs. the big-screen footage. It just looked like the gamma or brightness or something was lower on the big screen version, not that there was a big difference in shaders or anything. I must be alone in this, though.

Guys, I don't get where you're saying the bird demo looked better, performance-wise, in the on-floor footage vs. the big-screen footage. It just looked like the gamma or brightness or something was lower on the big screen version, not that there was a big difference in shaders or anything. I must be alone in this, though.

qyozg.jpg

Noticeable differences: Shadows, reflections, dynamic lighting, shading on the bird, detail, ect.

Nibel

Look at the bird landing on the tree and compare the shadows for example

GDGF

Soothsayer
Bird demo needs to be a game.

Stick a controllable falcon on a dude's arm and throw him in the middle of a battlefield or something.

VgzPF.jpg

BurntPork

Banned

Actually, you're not even worth it. See you at E3. :)

Preferably a news source that deserves it. Give it to the banned Nintendo site, or to NintendoWorldReport.

I don't remember the history for that banned site and why they got that treatment but IGN sure needs that kind of treatment around here but I doubt the 3rd parties would choose a smaller site for a scoop

I don't remember the history for that banned site and why they got that treatment but IGN sure needs that kind of treatment around here but I doubt the 3rd parties would choose a smaller site for a scoop

Because it has a history of not vetting its sources and posting basically anything.
Though, they've gotten better.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Famitsu - definitely Famitsu

Oh hey DCharlie!

Do you mind going into more detail on what signs/ads you saw about the Wii-U in japan? You posted about some "coming soon" stuff in some other thread, which made me think that the upcoming Capcom announcement might be Wii-U related.

Noticeable differences: Shadows, reflections, dynamic lighting, shading on the bird, detail, ect.

I can't believe they showed the relatively ugly version of the bird demo on stage when the new one was on the floor that same day. I understand why they did it (they had to prepare for the conference far in advance), but it just seems like a stupid decision.

That bird demo was made to show off what the system could do, and they were ok with showing an inferior version to the world? Seems pretty dumb to me.

I can't believe they showed the relatively ugly version of the bird demo on stage when the new one was on the floor that same day. I understand why they did it (they had to prepare for the conference far in advance), but it just seems like a stupid decision.

That bird demo was made to show off what the system could do, and they were ok with showing an inferior version to the world? Seems pretty dumb to me.

Personally I can't comprehend the majority of what they did in relation to WiiU for that conference..shit was just weird.

BD1

Banned
Killer Freaks cover maybe?

I think Ubisoft are the ones who mostly like to hype their Nintendo exclusives I can't think of anyone else who has a wiiu exclusive title

Lego City Stories, although I guess that is technically second (?) party.

Speaking on which, LCS might be the first game to truly do cross-platform play with 3DS.

HylianTom

Banned
Because it has a history of not vetting its sources and posting basically anything.
They clearly label every rumor as a rumor; RMC is quite good about that, and has been for a long time.

In fact, I can't remember which episode (somewhere around 320), but he told his side of the story surrounding the site's banishment, including how he ran into a GAF mod at an industry event and talked about the banning, the mod had a "smh"-type moment, and then said he couldn't do anything about it.

I'll quit by saying that there are far worse sites that are freely posted around here.

This is probably the best comparison I've ever seen for illustration of Wii U gpu features (at least compared to what they could have been with a more conservative approach). Thanks for posting that!

Kandinsky

You forgot price and launch lineup speculation somewhere in stage 3, but yeah I agree.

They clearly label every rumor as a rumor; RMC is quite good about that, and has been for a long time.

In fact, I can't remember which episode (somewhere around 320), but he told his side of the story surrounding the site's banishment, including how he ran into a GAF mod at an industry event and talked about the banning, the mod had a "smh"-type moment, and then said he couldn't do anything about it.

I'll quit by saying that there are far worse sites that are freely posted from around here.

Yeah, I don't know why the site's banned either. Probably because it's easy to say it is clearly biased towards Nintendo (which it is), but RMC always cites sources and posts rumors as rumors.

Far better than IGN's new habit of posting RUMORS as REPORTS. That's what pushed me over the edge of never visiting the site again.

Yeah, I don't know why the site's banned either. Probably because it's easy to say it is clearly biased towards Nintendo (which it is), but RMC always cites sources and posts things as rumors.

Far better than IGN's new habit of posting RUMORS as REPORTS. That's what pushed me over the edge of never visiting the site again.

Really?
It wasn't them stating they they only post controversial news articles for hits, and not because they believe any of it?

suracity

[comparison picture]

Thanks for posting this! I always feel that there are some differences, but I never figured out. Now I know it!

Isn't it a little strange that Nintendo show a different simplified version in the conf? And they didn't even show the Zelda footage! I mean if they show the Zelda footage in the conf a lot more ppl might feel more excited and satisfied than what they did in last E3 conf.

DrWong

This. Strong reaction. Thanks.
You forgot

- Stage 4: specialguy shows up for whatever reason and tries to create some kind of controversy by posting bitter crap and fails like always

Thanks for posting this! I always feel that there are some differences, but I never figured out. Now I know it!

Isn't it a little strange that Nintendo show a different simplified version in the conf? And they didn't even show the Zelda footage! I mean if they show the Zelda footage in the conf a lot more ppl might feel more excited and satisfied than what they did in last E3 conf.

Well, they had to use an old recording of the demo for the conference.
They couldn't risk something messing up on stage.
Which shows that the demo was a still, very much, work in progress engine.
As for Zelda, I'm not really sure why they skipped that one. I'd suppose, to avoid people thinking they were actually announcing a Zelda game, and to not steal focus from Skyward Sword.

I won't count DQX as wiiu exclusive :|

oh forgot LCS

Also not technically exclusive, since there is a 3DS version.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well, they had to use an old recording of the demo for the conference.
They couldn't risk something messing up on stage.
Which shows that the demo was a still, very much, work in progress engine.
As for Zelda, I'm not really sure why they skipped that one. I'd suppose, to avoid people thinking they were actually announcing a Zelda game, and to not steal focus from Skyward Sword.

Actually, looking back, I was a bit dumbfounded why they released such a video at all (tech demo or not). I remember there was a lot of confusion of whether or not it was a real game and it overwhelming over-shadowed Skyward Sword's presence at E3.

neeksleep

I thought zelda was shown in the sizzle reel in between the other games?

Barely. I still go there daily, but they're still pretty terrible at checking their sources. At least he isn't posting rumors as real news as often without "RUMOR" in the headline, but it's still pretty bad journalism. He reposts old news as new news all the time, too. (Sorry, RMC.)

Good screenshot comparison with the bird demo. I hadn't seen that dramatic of a difference displayed before, just an eyeball of my own between the two and some screenshots that looked a little too similar to prove anything definitive to me.

HylianTom

Banned
Really?
It wasn't them stating they they only post controversial news articles for hits, and not because they believe any of it?
I've heard the explanation on the podcast when this is brought-up, and it makes sense: he posts the story if it's Nintendo-related, be it good, bad, controversial, or boring. That's the bottom line, that's the common factor on why they post the stories that they do.

Anybody see the thread about New Play Control Pikmin 2 finally being released by NOA? Could bode well for us getting Pikmin 3 at or near launch.

edit: Sadist beat me.

download.php

Actually, looking back, I was a bit dumbfounded why they released such a video at all (tech demo or not). I remember there was a lot of confusion of whether or not it was a real game and it overwhelming over-shadowed Skyward Sword's presence at E3.

They've used Zelda for their technical showcase for the N64 and GC, so it made sense. Zelda is the series that gets the most graphical boost from each new generation.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The banned site is banned because of a history of posting anything and everything Nintendo related, right down to some random shit some guy said on some forum. Marking these posts a 'rumour' isn't enough when the rumours themselves lack credibility and plausibility.

Simply reporting this content on the front page of your website cascades. It gets reported elsewhere by other sources, and people run with it. Suddenly a simple little troll/bullshit by a random internet nobody is all over everywhere, yet still isn't any more believable or truthful.

The reason the website was banned from GAF is that staff was tired having to clean up threads and discussion based on every little 'rumour' that was posted. It's annoying when a thread gets made on a 'rumour' that originated from a guy with three posts on some obscure blog. We don't like the forum getting clogged up with any other bullshit, so this too doesn't fly.

Granted, 'banned' does not mean they can't be discussed, or even used as a source. It just means you should be very wary of doing so, as information from this source is often unreliable and inaccurate. If the banned website posts a credible rumour worthy of discussion then of course it can be used as a source, even though we block the url.

But then you've got stuff like 'Chartz, which is banned for the obvious reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom