• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What signs? Eternal Darkness 2 would be such a waste of time for those developers.

SK is working on a "requested sequel" and "returning to thier roots". Process of elimination of their franchises leaves Eternal Darkness and Too Human. Plus they have Wii U devkits.

No, they didn't lose the plot.
What happened was that Motion Plus was introduced like halfway through, so they reworked the entire game to revolve around it.

If I remember right, they said in the Iwata asks that they tried to use the Motion Plus but they didn't get a good idea, when Wii Sports Resort was show they got Motion Plus back in the game and then had to rework the game.

Linkhero1

Say, about that "Leaving Nintendo" curse… Has there been a good example of a company hit by the curse then coming back and ending up healthy again?

As far as I know, no. Look at what Rare has become and Factor 5 is no more :(

I can see lots of upset people in that event.

Heck, either way people are going to be upset. :)

In Dyack's mind, it's the game everyone has been demanding a sequel to.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Another domain name someone tipped to me at Twitter.

NintendoAllAccess.com

Interesting... Something to do with Nintendo's new online functions, perhaps?

Sounds more like a new website for all Nintendo news at E3 (interviews, images, videos, etc.). I'm assuming they won't use Nintendo Network for that anymore because of the whole new online identity and it makes too much sense to have the same name for ALL online content from Nintendo......

Current Standing of Nintendo Ip's as of this generation

C Team
- Animal Crossing

- Animal Crossing and Pikmin are soon to gain new titles, hopefully re-promoting them to the Nintendo B team, strengthening it even further.
C? B? DS's Animal Crossing sold more than 5 million in Japan alone, making it one of the top DS games and bigger than Dragon Quest IX or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.

C? B? DS's Animal Crossing sold more than 5 million in Japan alone, making it one of the top DS games and bigger than Dragon Quest IX or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too. That and Donkey Kong Country Returns being a whole category below Zelda despite having a better-selling most recent entry.

edit: Oh, wow, didn't realize that Vandal had 1000 post limits on their threads. Here's the new one: #Nintendo E3'12: Divagaciones y Specs. Welcome aboard v3.24# Dark GAF of the moon

volpone

Banned
Say, about that "Leaving Nintendo" curse… Has there been a good example of a company hit by the curse then coming back and ending up healthy again?

Don't forget that Squaresoft and Sony went on to far greater success after dissolving their relationships with Nintendo in the 90s.

Don't forget that Squaresoft and Sony went on to far greater success after dissolving their relationships with Nintendo in the 90s.

Isn't the Curse supposed to be with second party partners?

I guess Sony would count, since they were an extremely close business partner in the SNES era. And they're doing pretty well nowada-- wait.

Edit: It is quite interesting how many "gaming cognates" there are between English and Spanish. They freely use the terms HYPE, port, Next Generation, train, fake, HD, Power-Ups, wannabe and remake.

TriGen

Animal Crossing is definetly at least in the B team. You can't put Kid Icarus in a whole level above it when there has only been one KI game in years, and AC has sold and been popular since the GC.

NeoRausch

Woah, normally i'm not the guy to ask this (it's annoying when you read this thread on regular basis), but....

did something happen? The thread gaind some major speed again. Who put the coal in?

Woah, normally i'm not the guy to ask this (it's annoying when you read this thread on regular basis), but....

did something happen? The thread gaind some major speed again. Who put the coal in?

specialguy lit a coal under our butts.

Also:
#10958: Interview with CoD BlOps2 devs, no comment on Wii U support

#10961: Minor Green Hills compiler version change breaks library compatibility on devkits (unusual situation, should only happen in a major revision).

#11241: Comparison in gpu features of bird demo between N-Conf and floor show

#11293: Nintendo registers new domains, including "fireemblemawakening.com"

#11354: NintendoAllAccess.com registered

test_account

XP-39C²
If a Eternal Darkness sequel is definitely in the works, then it will literally only sell to Eternal Darkness fans. I see this often with Sony franchises.
Ah, like that. Sony's games usually have a fairly big fanbase, so i guess it isnt always a huge financial risk. How much did Eternal Darkness sell?

So how does the curse work? I assumed it was something like the curse on the Defense Against the Dark Arts post in Harry Potter i.e NO EXCEPTIONS.

It sometimes just takes longer to work.
Like how Sony is bleeding money and most of Square's big franchises (especially FF) are now turds.
:p

HylianTom

Banned
specialguy lit a coal under our butts.

Also:
That, and EatChildren got us all into a really good mood for some honest, level-headed progostication. It's been some of the best discussion since ShockingAlberto laid-down how it is at the end of the last speculation thread.

It sometimes just takes longer to work.
Like how Sony is bleeding money and most of Square's big franchises (especially FF) are now turds.
:p
Is it wrong that I laughed at this so gleefully?
(it's "turd." That word gets me.. )

So how does the curse work? I assumed it was something like the curse on the Defense Against the Dark Arts post in Harry Potter i.e NO EXCEPTIONS.

It's supposed to be something like:

"If a company was a second party developer partnered with Nintendo and is now no longer associated with Nintendo, then Yamauchi will destroy the company in unseeable manners."

I'm not sure if that's really it, but that's the impression I've always got from reading chats about it.

HylianTom

Banned
It's supposed to be something like:

"If a company was a second party developer partnered with Nintendo and is now no longer associated with Nintendo, then Yamauchi will destroy the company in unseeable manners."

I'm not sure if that's really it, but that's the impression I've always got from reading chats about it.
That's some spooky, mystical stuff.

We've heard of Nintendo Magic.. is there such a thing as "Nintendo Black Arts?"

Ah, like that. Sony's games usually have a fairly big fanbase, so i guess it isnt always a huge financial risk. How much did Eternal Darkness sell?

It almost broke 18k in Japan!

In truth, it garnered a ton of interesting awards and/or press mentions of notability, and this sort of attention can increase mindshare for a sequel. The question is: Did Nintendo wait too long to capitalize on this?

Probably.

BD1

Banned

Like shit, but times have changed. Eternal Darkness was an M-rated title on a platform with an image problem and a tiny install base.

I think Eternal Darkness in 2012 is an entirely different proposition. And considering Silicon Knights situation, I'm sure Nintendo got to dictate terms to SK with little blow back.

I have noticed this thread has a pattern:

- stage 1: Overhyping of Wii U's power, gets out of control.

-stage 2: Some dev or anonymous source or article basically slashes those rumors, confirms Wii U will not be a powerhouse

-stage 3: Thread retreats, somber, for a time, but then in the absence of any new info, slowly but surely starts overestimating the specs and getting overheated again...

stage 2 and 3 form a loop...

Issues with their own programming ≠ confirmation Wii U is not a powerhouse nor that it is weak

Especially when by expectations of PS4/Xbox 3 no one expected it to be so.

In truth, it garnered a ton of interesting awards and/or press mentions of notability, and this sort of attention can increase mindshare for a sequel. The question is: Did Nintendo wait too long to capitalize on this?

Probably.

If it comes out near launch, and it doesn't have a 2 on the name (EG: It should be Eternal Darkness:(Subtitle)) Then it won't matter that they waited so long.

Linkhero1

Probably.

18k man that's a lot of units :p

I'm assuming that it didn't do that well in the states either.

wsippel

Banned
Factor 5 -> dead
Argonaut -> dead
Iguana -> dead
Cing -> dead
Left Field Productions -> yeah...
Silicon Knights -> lol
Rare -> rofl

Gaia is also dead, but they never even finished their Wii game in the first place. But there are exceptions: Angel Studios was part of the Nintendo Dream Team, and became Rockstar San Diego. And DMA Design is known today as Rockstar North.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone remember Left Field Productions? No? Neither do I ha.
I actually remember that company considering the amount of times I rented Excitebike 64 from the local video store. It's not a bad game, but I wouldn't praise it as highly as the press did back when it was released.

Nitrobike I haven't played though, but haven't heard any good things about it. How come you bring this up?

Linkhero1

Factor 5 -> dead
Argonaut -> dead
Iguana -> dead
Cing -> dead
Left Field Productions -> yeah...
Silicon Knights -> lol
Rare -> rofl

Gaia is also dead, but they never even finished their Wii game in the first place. But there are exceptions: Angel Studios was part of the Nintendo Dream Team, and became Rockstar San Diego. And DMA Design is known today as Rockstar North.

Lots of dead studios right there.

Rösti;37247511 said:
I actually remember that company considering the amount of times I rented Excitebike 64 from the local video store. It's not a bad game, but I wouldn't praise it as highly as the press did back when it was released.

Nitrobike I haven't played though, but haven't heard any good things about it. How come you bring this up?

I only brought it up because GameplayWhore brought up the curse and I just recalled that they were a second party studio. I only owned NBA Courtside, which they developed. I don't remember it being that great either.

Discomurf

This thread is crazy again... maybe we need a daily bullet point update in the original post.

Whats the RAM up to (or down to) today?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom