• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm gonna buy a hard drive that has a paintable outside surface, and I'll hand-paint it to look like it matches my Nintendo Juicy™, striving to make it look like an official, Nintendo-made accessory. I might even put Pokemon stickers all over it, even though I don't really feel particularly strong about Pokemon.

You choose whether or not to have a hard drive with your system, that's their policy. I like it, because it means I won't be shafted on the cost of proprietary storage. Others don't like it, because… ??
Because it means developers can't expect that all users will have large storage options, so most games won't support it. PS3 is the only system this generation where most games install bits to hard drive in order to speed the game up because of that fact, for example.

BlackJace

eEPIn.jpg

Phew, finished. This should cover pre, during, and post E3.

Nilaul

I'm gonna buy a hard drive that has a paintable outside surface, and I'll hand-paint it to look like it matches my Nintendo Juicy™, striving to make it look like an official, Nintendo-made accessory. I might even put Pokemon stickers all over it, even though I don't really feel particularly strong about Pokemon.

No stickers man. You geting it wrong, not official enough.
It has to be all white and clean, then cut out your self a stencil saying Wii U. After you have to put the stencil on hard-drive firmly and rub grey paint evenly with a cotton all over the stencil. You then take off the stencil and have a sexy looking white hard-rive with a Neat Grey Wii U logo on top of it.

lol. You might be the most hardcore Nintendo fan in the world right now. I thought this when you said you buy 2 copies of the same Nintendo game, but this takes the cake.

RedSwirl

All this "Nintendo should go 3rd party" talk reminds me of the Gamecube era.

I'd say because EA has limited resources and they're already going to be dedicating quit a bit to making Wii U versions of other games that will sell FAR more than Crysis 3.

Once again, this is really more on Crytek than EA. EA's only role with the Crysis franchise is financing the games. I know Crytek still controls the IP, and they probably control what they do with each game. I just think it's more the fact that you already have one studio working on three SKUs.

Pociask

But serously nintendo said that the Wii U will take any usb hardrive. The Wii U just comes in with some built in memory.

Not to be tooooo skeptical but they also said the Wii will take any usb harddrive. And that it would play DVD's. I mean, they have every reason to let people use usb harddrives this time, even moreso than last time, but...

HylianTom

Banned
lol. You might be the most hardcore Nintendo fan in the world right now. I thought this when you said you buy 2 copies of the same Nintendo game, but this takes the cake.

I kid of course. I'll probably get a boring drive to tuck behind the bluray player.

But I do buy multiple copies.. I'm indoctrinating my nieces and nephews on the greatness of Nintendo gaming. It's working like a charm, hahaha!

Nilaul

Not to be tooooo skeptical but they also said the Wii will take any usb harddrive. And that it would play DVD's. I mean, they have every reason to let people use usb harddrives this time, even moreso than last time, but...

The Wii firmware is being updated so that people can use a usb storage for the new Dragon Quest in Japan.

Well what are they supposed to do ? Pay the developers ? You can't force them and quite frankly the comments of Kojima or Crystal Dynamics make it seem like a general attitude problem 3rd parties seem to have with Nintendo.

I understand it may be very difficult to get games such as GTA, CoD, MGS, Final Fantasy and Resident Evil but i really thought games esp from EA like Crysis 3 would be a given.

After these stats today i asked myself a question, why are Nintendo even bothering with the 'hardcore' gamers ?.

They sold 260 million consoles and 1.75 billion games over the DS / 3DS / Wii generation.

The last hardcore console they made sold 21 million consoles and only 210 million games.

When you do the math and understand that Nintendo are a business at the end of the day, i find myself asking why don't they just make the Wii U as powerful as the PS360, add the tablet controller for innovation and try and release a few more of their core games like F-Zero, Waverace and Starfox to go along with the likes of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong that we got anyway on the original Wii.

Redford

aka Cabbie
All this Nintendo press, favorable or not, is starting to annoy me. Just shut the hell up already, we know you just skim other editorials and make some wise opinion piece based on that. I'm so sick of hearing the same crap over and over, I just want to hear something from Nintendo for once.

(not talking about you guys)

All this Nintendo press, favorable or not, is starting to annoy me. Just shut the hell up already, we know you just skim other editorials and make some wise opinion piece based on that. I'm so sick of hearing the same crap over and over, I just want to hear something from Nintendo for once.

(not talking about you guys)

I say we burn them all!

HylianTom

Banned

Wow. For a mainstream journalist, he'd fit in quite well with many of the goons we have in the enthusiast media over here. Maybe they could invite him to one of their annual post-E3 roundtables, where they do their usual "Nintendo-going-third-party" self-gratification session.

I say we burn them all!
Nah. The best revenge is living well.
Let them burn themselves. We can giggle as we watch!

Nilaul

Wow. For a mainstream journalist, he'd fit in quite well with many of the goons we have in the enthusiast media over here. Maybe they could invite him to one of their annual post-E3 roundtables, where they do their usual "Nintendo-going-third-party" self-gratification session.

Well the first comment of the article does summarizes it really well.

Well, also consider LucasArts had about 4 years to get the idea of a motion controlled lightsaber game into their heads and when it finally clicked, their choice was the Kinect and as a result, made a game whose main draw is nigh unplayable and the best part of which is a dance minigame. It may be out of Nintendo's hands.

LucasArts should give Ubisoft Paris a few quid to work on another Jedi Knight game. Just think of Red Steel 2 but with a light saber instead of samurai sword, a blast pistol, rifle and Wookie bowcaster instead of the Wild West weapons and Jedi powers instead of samurai powers. It would be a license to print an absolute shitload of money.

Lol, if I was in charge of the decision making at Ubisoft I'd do it anyway and just use obvious alternative names that are so close that you know full well what they're supposed to be but far enough away to avoid legal action lol. Have it for the U but don't use the new controller, just MotionPlus and a nunchuck. It would sell billions, even without the Star Wars licensing.

Jedi Knight Academy and Jedi Knight Outcast are the best two Star Wars ever released (with the possible exception of the wire-frame arcade game you used to be able to sit in!) and I'd sell not just my soul to Santa but the souls of my two pussy cats and every single one of my living relatives to see another Jedi Knight game released. :Oo

I wrote a reply to this. I wonder how it will be taken.

Ah, heck, nothing else is happening tonight. Here it is!

With respect to comparing mobile app store gaming to Nintendo's franchises, I would like to point out one thing:

From its debut in 2009 to last month, the total revenue of all Angry Birds mobile games has been $100m. To my knowledge, no other series in mobile gaming comes close to this. Nintendo's last *single* Mario game, released in November, has so far grossed roughly $230m in five months. The company releases multiple games of this magnitude every year. Their proprietary ecosystem allows them to sell games in this manner, whereas the Apple App Store and Android Play Store has so far not demonstrated the ability to support games which can attain this level of sales revenue.

It seems like a knee-jerk reaction to suggest that Nintendo should move their operations to platforms that so far support far smaller sales potential. Perhaps in the future, the App Store and Play Store will allow for series that sell in the billions, as Nintendo's offerings often do, but they are not yet at this level of maturity, and may not be for quite some time.

I hope I didn't mess up any numbers here. (note: Mario 3D Land sales are based on the assumption of a ~$40 ASP; is that accurate?)

Nilaul

Aside from the odd premise..
What confuses me.. is that Nintendo does better than either company.. they sell more games than any 3rd party title on either console...

How.. is that a FORWARD movement for them?

Nintendo third party would be a catastrophe for Sony and Microsoft, there games would stop selling.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Posted this in the other thread too.

article said:
Nintendo always made money because you needed to buy their hardware at 40 bucks a game. If you're looking at the smartphone games you can find a 50p game and it may not be as good as a Nintendo game, but is [Nintendo's] really 40 times better?"

Yes. Play Ocarina of Time. Play Angry Birds. The difference is clear.
It's like saying why do expensive restaurants exist when you can get nuggets and fries at McDonalds?

Also, I couldn't help noticing the giant Vita commercial on that page....

guek

Banned
I really don't get the angry birds love. That game is boring as shit. Only mobile games I play though are cut the rope, fruit ninja, and draw something

I really don't get the angry birds love. That game is boring as shit. Only mobile games I play though are cut the rope, fruit ninja, and draw something

AB Space is actually pretty neat, what with the gravity and all.
Of course, I get them all free on Android.
BAM!

HylianTom

Banned
So see what would happen.. in attempt to save there first party business, Microsoft and Sony would just fund Nintendo there new console.
Hahaha.. so incredibly appropriate.
As much as folks love to bash, Ninty holds a kinda unique role in this industry. People speak of them as though they're this small, frail, weak company on the verge of being demoted into a third-party role, but they apparently have the power to level whole landscapes for rival developers. Delicious.

(and guek: AMEN. I don't friggin' get it. Launch, boom, repeat. Zzzzzzz....)

BlackJace

THANK YOU. If I even say this at my university, people flip their shit.

Its a slingshot simulator. Whooptie-fucking-doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom