• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

Every time someone says something like this, it makes me wonder where the heck all the hype around Retro came from. They release two great games (at least one of which had heavy handholding and revamping by Nintendo of Japan), help with a couple decent games, and work on a bunch of games of such low quality that they get canceled, and that suddenly makes them worth all this hype?

Especially wishing it wasn't a FPS, as a first-person shooting adventure was what made Retro famous in the first place.

To me I just consider those dudes to be amazingly talented with their art direction. MP3 just blew me away at almost every stage, even though my eye were bleeding at the jaggies of the Wii. The music in that thing sent tingles down my spine and I just gazed in awe at some of the more open, outside scenes. Now I'm not saying that those things aren't on other platforms, but on Nintendo platforms I think they're pretty much the cream of the crop.

I just keep imagining what they could do with competent hardware.

Wii sales dipping mad low. Building off what Y2Kev said here:

Whether or not wiiu takes off like wii will be interesting.
it just puts into perspective how tricky things could be for nintendo if it DOESN'T catch fire from the start.

They will need insane marketing + system seller title (exclusive) + low price to even have a chance of creating some momentum right from the start.

But if it doesn't, it could spell disaster because the Wii brand is already waning, and will continue to for a few plenty of months to come. If the Wii-U doesn't hit high from the start and the waning continues....could be a bad spot to be in. Keep in mind I'm saying those 3 are needed just for a CHANCE. It's a tough spot for sure. don't expect them to catch lightning in a bottle again but the question is how far lower will it go.

But of course desperate nintendo is always good nintendo.

ozfunghi

To me I just consider those dudes to be amazingly talented with their art direction. MP3 just blew me away at almost every stage, even though my eye were bleeding at the jaggies of the Wii. The music in that thing sent tingles down my spine and I just gazed in awe at some of the more open, outside scenes. Now I'm not saying that those things aren't on other platforms, but on Nintendo platforms I think they're pretty much the cream of the crop.

I just keep imagining what they could do with competent hardware.

MP's music is not done by RETRO i believe.

Its something everyone wants them to work on. That's all we know, and all we will know 'till E3.

By this logic it's either Metroid or DKC. If it's "everybody" who voted with their wallets, it's DKCR2. If "everybody" is the core Nintendo fanbase and critics, it's Metroid. Any other IP/game which signifies "everybody" is a smaller minority.

it just puts into perspective how tricky things could be for nintendo if it DOESN'T catch fire from the start.

They will need insane marketing + system seller title (exclusive) + low price to even have a chance of creating some momentum right from the start.

But if it doesn't, it could spell disaster because the Wii brand is already waning, and will continue to for a few plenty of months to come. If the Wii-U doesn't hit high from the start and the waning continues....could be a bad spot to be in. Keep in mind I'm saying those 3 are needed just for a CHANCE. It's a tough spot for sure. don't expect them to catch lightning in a bottle again but the question is how far lower will it go.

You can only sell so many Wii's before you hit saturation point...

HylianTom

Banned

My best bet for "worst case scenario" with the Wii U is another GameCube, where it sells mainly to hardcore Nintendo fans and few folks outside of that core group. But for some reason, I don't see it going quite that low. I'm guessing between 25 and 50 million units sold, to be honest.

Hopefully Nintendo remembers to throw everything they've got into one hell of an ad campaign this Autumn and Winter.

My best bet for "worst case scenario" with the Wii U is another GameCube, where it sells mainly to hardcore Nintendo fans and few folks outside of that core group. But for some reason, I don't see it going quite that low. I'm guessing between 25 and 50 million units sold, to be honest.

Hopefully Nintendo remembers to throw everything they've got into one hell of an ad campaign this Autumn and Winter.
50-70m for me

All GAF assemble and go post on last time in the old thread so we can close it and I can go to bed..... OK... thanx... bye

HylianTom

Banned
You can only sell so many Wii's before you hit saturation point...

This, and they don't break-down like some other well-selling consoles we all know.

I'm utterly convinced that millions of PS2s and 360s were sold to folks who don't mind reinforcing the idea that, hey, it doesn't matter if your hardware is unreliable! No consequences there!

By this logic it's either Metroid or DKC. If it's "everybody" who voted with their wallets, it's DKCR2. If "everybody" is the core Nintendo fanbase and critics, it's Metroid. Any other IP/game which signifies "everybody" is a smaller minority.

I dunno, there was a massive fan outcry for Retro Zelda. I'd put it as Metroid or Zelda
StarFox
, as DKC is a side-scrolling platformer, which is at odds with that recent hire. Still, that's not necessarily related, as it's a recent hire and therefore maybe for the game after this one.

If the Wii U sells less than 22million...I won't have any words.

This, and they don't break-down like some other well-selling consoles we all know.

I'm utterly convinced that millions of PS2s and 360s were sold to folks who don't mind reinforcing the idea that, hey, it doesn't matter if your hardware is unreliable! No consequences there!
I had 4 360's... still only launch Wii.
My launch PS3 I gave away at xmas to my Nephew

How many people on GAF had just one 360??

if the marketing is really strong and everywhere then the wii brand alone should lift it above that, but there's still so many questions that need answers. It's gonna be a crazy november/christmas. It's just a shame they are probably launching so late because the first half of the year is typically slow for sales, so they risk losing launch momentum after january 2013.

I got the same 360 from Xmas 2006, but it did RROD once and I had to sent it in for repairs.

I also have the same controller, which is pretty rare for me. Usually the analog stick goes to hell like my old N64 controller.

I dunno, there was a massive fan outcry for Retro Zelda. I'd put it as Metroid or Zelda
StarFox
, as DKC is a side-scrolling platformer, which is at odds with that recent hire. Still, that's not necessarily related, as it's a recent hire and therefore maybe for the game after this one.

I agree it can be kind of hard to pin down the vague "everybody". But if Nintendo's (and Retro's) history tell any tales, it's the money that talks first. I don't think very many care about a Retro Starfox, and it's too soon after SS for another Zelda to be teased. So if this quote still hold water, my bet is still on DKCR2 or Metroid.

I actually would love to see a new Retro Metroid on HD hardware, almost as much as a new IP. But I presume if this happens and Metroid sales still continue to worsen or stay the same, Metroid retires for a while.

HylianTom

Banned
If the Wii U sells less than 22million...I won't have any words.

The thing is, I don't have faith in the tastes of boys aged 16-to-35 when it comes to console purchasing. They still seem to want *pew*pew*pew*/"Eat lead, f****t!"/OnRails-World-of-Progress-converted-into-a-military-shooter-game, and that ain't Nintendo.

I got the same 360 from Xmas 2006, but it did RROD once and I had to sent it in for repairs.

I also have the same controller, which is pretty rare for me. Usually the analog stick goes to hell like my old N64 controller.
I've had the same broom for 15 years.

Its had four new handles and 5 new heads.... but its still the same broom

*numbers above are likely incorrect

The thing is, I don't have faith in the tastes of boys aged 16-to-35 when it comes to console purchasing. They still seem to want *pew*pew*pew*/"Eat lead, f****t!"/OnRails-World-of-Progress-converted-into-a-military-shooter-game, and that ain't Nintendo.
same could be said about the lack of faith I have for instance, in casual gamers actually buying fucking games that aren't Wii _____ titles or mario titles. That's a big point for nintendo and the wii-U.

They need to attract the core crowd that actually goes out and buys all the big games from all developers. Had a game like Demon's Souls launched on the Wii, I personally think it would have bombed HARD, but it did well on the PS3 as an exclusive and then Dark Souls came out and it's now a beloved series by all.

You need to have that kind of environment where your base buys all types of games from all kinds of developers to foster an ecosystem where everyone is happy. Lets face it, you aren't doing that with the casual crowd.

Ye gods, you guys. Expand your horizons a bit!

I have a Dreamcast. That counts, right?
I will not! I don't like Ratchet and Clank, barely like the Uncharted series, Halo is bad and so is the Gears of War series.
So all the games I want to play are on Nintendo's consoles and PC d:

This is so sad, and true ):

SykoTech

360 fine, but don't lump the PS2 in there. I got one in 2002 and haven't had any problems, and I regularly use it to this day. Just played through KHII again last month.

Comedy at its finest folks!

JC is good people. :)

HylianTom

Banned
same could be said about the lack of faith I have for instance, in casual gamers actually buying fucking games that aren't Wii _____ titles or mario titles. That's a big point for nintendo and the wii-U.

They need to attract the core crowd that actually goes out and buys all the big games from all developers. Had a game like Demon's Souls launched on the Wii, I personally think it would have bombed HARD, but it did well on the PS3 as an exclusive and then Dark Souls came out and it's now a beloved series by all.

You need to have that kind of environment where your base buys all types of games from all kinds of developers to foster an ecosystem where everyone is happy. Lets face it, you aren't doing that with the casual crowd.

Yeah, ya can't trust casuals to sustain an ecosystem either.

I think I trust gamers who like Japanese games more than any other subgroup, now that I think about it. If Nintendo can make its new system the place to go for that group of gamers - gamers who buy the hot new release every month or so - then I could see some rather large success coming its way.

But that's a tall order.

I don't wanna go Han Solo tonight...

Speaking of camera tracking systems, somebody speculated like ten pages (~5 hours) back that Nintendo could put a camera between the IR emitters of the Wii U's sensor bar. It would sort of make sense given that the "sensor bar" embedded into the DRC has a camera in the middle.

If that's the case, then it leads to the possibility that Kinect games that don't rely too much on depth tracking could be ported over. So we'd basically have a more capable Playstation EyeToy in addition to the other features that the Wii U provides.

(wow, I'm posting speculation… in a speculation thread!)

Speaking of camera tracking systems, somebody speculated like ten pages (~5 hours) back that Nintendo could put a camera between the IR emitters of the Wii U's sensor bar. It would sort of make sense given that the "sensor bar" embedded into the DRC has a camera in the middle.

If that's the case, then it leads to the possibility that Kinect games that don't rely too much on depth tracking could be ported over. So we'd basically have a more capable Playstation EyeToy in addition to the other features that the Wii U provides.

(wow, I'm posting speculation… in a speculation thread!)

The camera in the controller could already do this, though.
I doubt many will, though, since it would be awkward to position.

Yeah, ya can't trust casuals to sustain an ecosystem either.

I think I trust gamers who like Japanese games more than any other subgroup, now that I think about it. If Nintendo can make its new system the place to go for that group of gamers - gamers who buy the hot new release every month or so - then I could see some rather large success coming its way.

But that's a tall order.
it's funny, I would have said that in order to get the most japanese support you'd need to have the best selling console in japan by far, except don't they kind of have that now? And Sony is still killin em in japan.

Which leads to an even bigger challenge for nintendo. If they want an ecosystem where consumers are buying all kinds of games from all kinds of devs, they're going to totally need to revamp their image from casual console to gamers console. But I think Nintendo doesn't want to alienate the casual crowd so......I don't know how they're going going to do it. The Wii-U is their attempt at having their cake and eating it too, but that's much easier said than done.

HylianTom

Banned
it's funny, I would have said that in order to get the most japanese support you'd need to have the best selling console in japan by far, except don't they kind of have that now? And Sony is still killin em in japan.

Which leads to an even bigger challenge for nintendo. If they want an ecosystem where consumers are buying all kinds of games from all kinds of devs, they're going to totally need to revamp their image from casual console to gamers console. But I think Nintendo doesn't want to alienate the casual crowd so......I don't know how they're going going to do it. The Wii-U is their attempt at having their cake and eating it too, but that's much easier said than done.

And Japanese developers are kinda paying the price right now.

I would hope that they figure it out in time for this upcoming generation. It's not like last time, where developers would be able to claim with a straight face that "no one could predict Nintendo dominating this market." This time, this very big excuse has been removed. So what shall the new excuse be this time from Japanese devs.. well, from those who are still alive to see a new generation?

I think Miis and Mario is going to be Nintendo's long-term bait for the casual crowd. But they can't go overboard with these characters, lest they risk
(word choice is deliberate here)
scaring-off the image-conscious, "gotta-look-mature" crowd of coveted gamers.

I think games like Eternal Darkness 2, F-Zero U, Smash Bros Online Universe, the car simulation game, Retro's project, etc might be a part of the answer for getting that hardcore part of the cake. But securing third-party titles and making good on the promise of more first-party core titles is also going to be required.

I would hope that they figure it out in time for this upcoming generation. It's not like last time, where developers would be able to claim with a straight face that "no one could predict Nintendo dominating this market." This time, this very big excuse has been removed. So what shall the new excuse be this time from Japanese devs.. well, from those who are still alive to see a new generation?

I think Miis and Mario is going to be Nintendo's long-term bait for the casual crowd. But they can't go overboard with these characters, lest they risk
(word choice is deliberate here)
scaring-off the image-conscious, "gotta-look-mature" crowd of coveted gamers.

I think games like Eternal Darkness 2, F-Zero U, Smash Bros Online Universe, the car simulation game, Retro's project, etc might be a part of the answer for getting that hardcore part of the cake. But securing third-party titles and making good on the promise of more first-party core titles is also going to be required.
nintendo just has to put themselves in a position where devs have no choice to support them, and they do that by doing what we already said, building the kind of base that they can sell their games to. Want japanese gamers who actually buy shit, then get monster hunter for WiiU, the first tales game of next gen, make absolutely sure that the next big FF game after versus is on the system, get Kojima to put MGS5 on it, and so on.

Nintendo definitely has to put in work. I just wonder if they realize how much work they have to put in. I'm hoping they don't think "oh we have call of duty and assassins creed, thats that".

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

An excuse like this.....

"Wii U is kind of a special case. The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

HylianTom

Banned
nintendo just has to put themselves in a position where devs have no choice to support them, and they do that by doing what we already said, building the kind of base that they can sell their games to. Want japanese gamers who actually buy shit, then get monster hunter for WiiU, the first tales game of next gen, make absolutely sure that the next big FF game after versus is on the system, get Kojima to put MGS5 on it, and so on.

Nintendo definitely has to put in work. I just wonder if they realize how much work they have to put in. I'm hoping they don't think "oh we have call of duty and assassins creed, thats that".

Check those boxes, and the gamers will follow!

Nope. Sorry, Reggie. It don't work that way.

Wanna know my take on Nintendo's most likely path?
Outlive the other console maker(s) so that you're one of last ones standing. If a development house wants their games to sell more than triple-digits in their home country, they have a clear choice in some situations. Hmm.

I don't know. Nintendo's in a better position, but devs still have a choice in the console space. For Japanese games, they still have the PS3. For Western games, they can stick to the 360 and claim that the Wii U is "too unique and needs games custom made for its controller", and then a year later they can switch over to "it's too slow for a next generation game". It might affect them negatively to ignore a decent percentage of possible buyers, and some [more] of the dev houses might go bankrupt, but it's still an option, and it's even generally a survivable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom