• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
There won't be cats or a crazed mutant child with a scissors fixation will there?

Oh.. completely forgot about those. Yikes.

I hope that the mutant child isn't there.
And cats? That'd be the freakiest Nintencats cross-promo ever.

"NintenCat is in the ceiling, watching you.."
..ewwwww..

lednerg

I have a good feeling about Nintendo at E3 this year. I just have a feeling that they're going to kill it.

Yeah, it really is Nintendo's E3 to lose. We know MS and Sony aren't ready to show off their next consoles, and I don't think we'll be getting too much in the form of earth-shattering surprises from them. Nintendo, on the other hand, has been so (FUCKING) quiet this past year that anything they show is going to seem out of left field. Of course that's a double-edged sword, since surprises tend to amplify people's reactions, good or bad.

Like I've said for a while, Nintendo needs a new T or M-rated exclusive franchise if they ever hope to capture the Xbox/PlayStation demographic like they've said they want to. Having the definitive versions of multiplatform games is great and all, but it would really help for Wii U to have it's own Uncharted or Gears. I think Nintendo's best bet would be to let Retro make their own IP, rather than limiting them to already-established Nintendo franchises. Not necessarily a dudebro FPS, or anything, but something unique that caters to a Western audience more so than Metroid Prime did. Showing a title like that at E3, even just in video form, could prove to be quite the game-changer. It could help shape a future for Wii U which many are currently too cynical to see is possible.

Vinci

Danish
Yeah, it really is Nintendo's E3 to lose. We know MS and Sony aren't ready to show off their next consoles, and I don't think we'll be getting too much in the form of earth-shattering surprises from them. Nintendo, on the other hand, has been so (FUCKING) quiet this past year that anything they show is going to seem out of left field. Of course that's a double-edged sword, since surprises tend to amplify people's reactions, good or bad.

Like I've said for a while, Nintendo needs a new T or M-rated exclusive franchise if they ever hope to capture the Xbox/PlayStation demographic like they've said they want to. Having the definitive versions of multiplatform games is great and all, but it would really help for Wii U to have it's own Uncharted or Gears. I think Nintendo's best bet would be to let Retro make their own IP, rather than limiting them to already-established Nintendo franchises. Not necessarily a dudebro FPS, or anything, but something unique that caters to a Western audience more so than Metroid Prime did. Showing a title like that at E3, even just in video form, could prove to be quite the game-changer.

Where Nintendo needs to 'kill it' is with online functionality. They need to a) make something that is competent and b) does something unique or interesting that sets it apart from what Live and PSN already do or are likely to do in their next generation. That's a tall order. Online is really the space where Nintendo is suffering with the core gaming audience, IMO, as it's acting as a barrier to appropriate 3rd party experiences. I mean, yeah, Retro working on a new IP? That would be awesome. What would make it even harder to ignore or get lost in the shuffle is if Retro made a new IP that took full advantage of the controller (in an intelligent, elegant way) and also utilized online functionality that we haven't really seen tackled before.

Another tall order.

HylianTom

Banned
I think for Nintendo to kill it, they need to do a few things:
- lots of games
- online surprises
- lots of games
- surprise exclusive
- surprise new IP, first-party
- surprise new IP, third-party
- graphical showcase first-party game
- something memorable with Miyamoto on-stage (more for fan endearment than anything else)
- lots of games
- surprising new direction for a known first-party IP
- surprising new non-gaming feature, non-pad-centered
- lots of games
- surpring new feature around the tablet

If Nintendo can keep people going "OH SHIT" and "OMG" and "I SAID WOW" for the better part of the second half of the conference, they've got this in the bag. Obviously, surprise is the big element here, and it's pretty obvious from their silence that they have that aspect nailed-down.

Bagu

- lots of games
- online surprises
- lots of games
- surprise exclusive
- something memorable with Miyamoto on-stage (more for fan endearment than anything else)
- lots of games
- lots of games

If Nintendo can keep people going "OH SHIT" and "OMG" and "I SAID WOW" for the better part of the second half of the conference, they've got this in the bag. Obviously, surprise is the big element here, and it's pretty obvious from their silence that they have that aspect nailed-down.

You forgot one; lots of games!

lednerg

Where Nintendo needs to 'kill it' is with online functionality. They need to a) make something that is competent and b) does something unique or interesting that sets it apart from what Live and PSN already do or are likely to do in their next generation. That's a tall order. Online is really the space where Nintendo is suffering with the core gaming audience, IMO, as it's acting as a barrier to appropriate 3rd party experiences. I mean, yeah, Retro working on a new IP? That would be awesome. What would make it even harder to ignore or get lost in the shuffle is if Retro made a new IP that took full advantage of the controller (in an intelligent, elegant way) and also utilized online functionality that we haven't really seen tackled before.

Another tall order.

I agree, but I'm not as worried about them making a competent online gaming experience as many seem to be. Online gaming isn't rocket science; there's nothing Nintendo has to invent out of thin air to make it possible. They only need a desire to do it, which if we go by the 3DS lately, they do. Wii simply didn't have the RAM for a compelling online service (just 88MB total), where you need something always running in the background checking friend lists, ready for text/voice chat, and all that. If IdeaMan is right, Wii U will have a surprisingly large chunk of RAM reserved for OS functions - and what else would that need to be there for but online stuff?

- lots of games
- online surprises
- lots of games
- surprise exclusive
- lots of games
- lots of games

A Smash Bros. reveal too :p

Kacho

That's partially why I'm so excited.

The lack of information we got last year at E3 and their being ridiculously quiet on all things related to the Wii-U since then leave an incredible amount of room for speculation, hence why we are now on our 4th Wii-U speculation thread. :)

They've put themselves in the right position. Now they just need to knock it out of the park...I'm inclined to believe they will.

Vinci

Danish
I agree, but I'm not as worried about them making a competent online gaming experience as many seem to be. Online gaming isn't rocket science; there's nothing Nintendo has to invent out of thin air to make it possible. They only need a desire to do it, which if we go by the 3DS lately, they do. Wii simply didn't have the RAM for a compelling online service (just 88MB total), where you need something always running in the background checking friend lists, ready for text/voice chat, and all that. If IdeaMan is right, Wii U will have a surprisingly large chunk of RAM reserved for OS functions - and what else would that need to be there for but online stuff?

My only concern would be that Nintendo reaches a point of rough parity with the other two services and stops there. They cannot do that. They are not only up against the functionality of those services but the communities already present and alive there. In order to diminish the power that this network effect has, Nintendo genuinely has to not only come up with something as good, it has to come up with something that innovates or rethinks the space in some manner that provides some meaningful return to customers.

That's really hard, especially in a field Nintendo has little prior expertise in.

DrWong

Yep! And I'm pretty sure Nintendo has some nice features regarding online, something "original" and competitive with the HD twins. Nintendo stressed too much about their "flexible" online approach to not have a big card in his hand.

Sadist

Thing is, Nintendo always feels the need to be different than the competition. Iwata and Miyamoto both said this regarding Wii U's online plan.

E-phonk

Banned
re, nintendo online:

What they could/should add:
- friendlist with "real friends", can be strictly controlled. You can see what games they have, what they are playing etc..
- looser "friend list" with people you added online (ie, like in mario kart). Can be game specific if it needs to be. You can add these "online friends" to your "real friends" if wanted. These can't see the same information as your real friends, more like mii plaza but with usernames added.
- better e-shop interface. Web based, menu on Upad, view content on tv screen.
- Video calling through the upad (with audio, offcourse). Also chatting/text messages
- letter box for WiiU
- a 3DS like adventure game that is build in and lets you interact with friends.

Also:
- WiiU sports online, pikmin online, etc

Vinci

Danish
Thing is, Nintendo always feels the need to be different than the competition. Iwata and Miyamoto both said this regarding Wii U's online plan.

Well, they're right. They need to be different, just not at the expense of functionality.

j.rob

Man I go away for a week, and come back to ST4? how are you guys doing this with pretty much NOTHING from Nintendo for a whole year?!

Well, back on topic. I was watching tv the other day, as you do, and I saw the adverts for twinings tea. It was so beautifully animated with one of the most stunning art styles I have ever seen, and I think it would be perfect for a future Zelda on the Wii U, seeing as it's going to hopefully be a powerhouse.

Let me see if I can find it...

The girl is Link. The boat is the king of red lions.

Another

Sadist

Well, they're right. They need to be different, just not at the expense of functionality.
I wanted to add that, but you were ahead of me. This is the part that kind of worries me. I'm not much of an online type, but I do realise Nintendo needs a working system and pronto. The 3DS is a good start, but it's still babysteps. Babysteps won't cut it.

HylianTom

Banned
Man I go away for a week, and come back to ST4? how are you guys doing this with pretty much NOTHING from Nintendo for a whole year?!

Nintendo could exit the industry tomorrow, and we'd still find plenty to talk about. They inspire that much love (and hate).

I am not an online guy at all. But still, I'd give almost anything to see the return of the Nsider community in the form of a channel or an app. The uPad could be used as a keyboard, your Club Nintendo profile could sync-up with your user ID, you could have a profile page listing your "Accomplishments," you could arrange co-op or competitive games in the forum, they could implement the ability to do live "Let's Play _____" videos, etc etc.

They could do this and make a LOT of people very, very happy.

Sleepy

Looking forward to Nintendo's E3 conference this year, and I dread those fucking things...all of them, I'm not just calling Nintendo out. But if we get all WiiU info (which is a given, right?), a redesigned 3DS with 8-10 hours of battery life, and new Mario and Zelda titles for both WiiU and 3DS I will be pretty happy. If WiiU is under $300 I will be ecstatic.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, talk about how Nintendo couldn't take on the opposition and failed.

I think the industry would contract much, much more than most people would think. It would be catastrophic - the equivalent of a dinosaur-extinction-sized asteroid hitting Planet VideoGames. They'd take a lot of smaller companies with 'em.

Yeah, talk about how Nintendo couldn't take on the opposition and failed.

Or speculate on where all that money they had in the bank went in one day.

edit: I'm disappointed, N-GAF, the thread is slowing down, even though news was actually posted this time! There must be an inverse relation…

re, nintendo online:

What they could/should add:
<BUNCHA STUFF>

I'd like to note that pretty much every other company who's added "online" to their systems or games have tremendously sacrificed local multiplayer. I would like the "Nintendo Difference™" to be that they still have games that appeal to me, despite also going off in that additional direction.

RE: Wii U online.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by it. From what we've been hearing (see the old 1up article and IdeaMan's posts) there's going to a lot of functions that people don't even realise they want that will push Nintendo Network ahead.
I'm not at all worried on that front. My only real concern for the Wii U is Nintendo not stepping up their own output. I think they're getting better, but we can't have half a year without a release (or even a month) from them.

HylianTom

Banned

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by it. From what we've been hearing (see the old 1up article and IdeaMan's posts) there's going to a lot of functions that people don't even realise they want that will push Nintendo Network ahead.
I'm not at all worried on that front. My only real concern for the Wii U is Nintendo not stepping up their own output. I think they're getting better, but we can't have half a year without a release (or even a month) from them.

The stories of them building new development building(s) and hiring tons of new folks are encouraging. Nintendo output is of prime priority, given the possibility that they might have to carry their console even more at some point in the future.

I've heard a concern expressed, and true, increasing their output might squeeze third parties, but what should they do, really? Wait for those trustworthy third parties to step-up their output? Ha. Ha. Ha.

KageMaru

Capcom Hiring for Next-Gen MT Framework Refresh In 2013

http://exophase.com/34972/capcom-hiring-for-next-gen-mt-framework-refresh-in-2013/

Capcom basically bet their business on the success of the HD twins and were spurred to develop their MT-Framework engine when the 360 came out. Most if all their AAA titles were built from it. It took a while for the Wii to get a version of engine. This is why Wii, the leading console, basically got crap support from Capcom. There is a mobile version made for the 3DS.

So when I read this announcement, Im not expecting any serious WiiU support from Capcom till one or both of the HD twins releases a successor. And Im wondering if Capcom again is using Microsoft's new offering as a lead platform instead of the WiiU. Or, when Microsoft back in November or December showed their console, Capcom was able to determine what next gen actually looked like based on the WiiU and Durango.

This is how they are going to expand their engine:

Shader
CG program
Physical Simulation
AI system

At any rate, Capcom probably did not port their current MT-Framework engine to the WiiU. And thats why there is a good chance that Res6, etc. might not make an appearance on the WiiU. That said, Nintendo might of convinced Capcom to at least make one exclusive title for the WiiU that will be presented at E3 or TGS. And Im thinking its Monster Hunter. I think Nintendo really wants to capitalize on online gaming. A reason why they are also making inroads in Korea.

If the Wii-U is closer to current gen performance, as apposed to being closer to Durango and PS4, I don't see why they wouldn't port the current MT Framework engine. Also depending on how large the gap is, it may not be worth porting the next gen MT engine, instead just using the current version.

The stories of them building new development building(s) and hiring tons of new folks are encouraging. Nintendo output is of prime priority, given the possibility that they might have to carry their console even more at some point in the future.

I've heard a concern expressed, and true, increasing their output might squeeze third parties, but what should they do, really? Wait for those trustworthy third parties to step-up their output? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Think about this, what if instead of going third party like so many think they should to stay relevant, Nintendo is plotting to go the complete opposite direction. Reacting to market trends by positioning to become ENTIRELY first party. What if they build themselves up to the point where a future Nintendo console is viable as a Nintendo exclusive one?

As long as it loads fast like a website on PC, then it shouldnt matter that much. I think that a lot of stores uses the http protocol anyway.

"A website on PC" is something that is inherently slower than any coded to the metal application can be.

Good gravy, it reminds me of the horror of working with Windows Update on Internet Explorer 4/5 after being used to the native app in Win95 and the graphical interfaces of package managers in Linux (both of which were better than doing it on a website.

edit:

Not if they would support CSS3/HTML 5.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/

It would be a massive improvement over what they currently have, and more importantly: they can update the shop without needing firmware updates etc.. A webapp store is just a very flexible and fast way to work.

I'll definitely grant that last part, where the layout can change independently of the app on the console. That's a definite advantage.

HylianTom

Banned
Think about this, what if instead of going third party Nintendo is reacting to market trends by positioning to become ENTIRELY first party. What if they build themselves up to the point where a future Nintendo console is viable as a Nintendo exclusive one?

I personally would love it, as I like their quality and that certain innate style that most Nintendo games carry, and I don't trust third parties any farther than I could throw 'em.. but I suspect they'd catch hell for it.

Any pity I had for third parties evaporated over the past four years. It'd take an incredible bump in human and physical resources, but if anyone can do it, Nintendo would be that company.

The one thing I'm worried about is being able to "share" the experience of WiiU with another person watching.

My girlfriend often likes to watch me play games, but I'd there are elements, especially really cool ones, that are only on the pad, she can't experience it.

It's like her trying to watch me play a handheld...

I personally would love it, as I like their quality and that certain innate style that most Nintendo games carry, and I don't trust third parties any farther than I could throw 'em.. but I suspect they'd catch hell for it.

Any pity I had for third parties evaporated over the past four years. It'd take an incredible bump in human and physical resources, but if anyone can do it, Nintendo would be that company.

Not all third parties are bad. A Firaxis/Nintendo partnership would be pretty godly, for instance. I know you won't deny that!

The one thing I'm worried about is being able to "share" the experience of WiiU with another person watching.

My girlfriend often likes to watch me play games, but I'd there are elements, especially really cool ones, that are only on the pad, she can't experience it.

It's like her trying to watch me play a handheld...

For the vast majority of most games, the primary action will be on the TV, and the boring stuff -- like inventory management and fake buttons and miscellaneous HUD crap that would otherwise obscure the action -- that she won't want to watch will be in your hands. When important stuff does happen on the DRC… well, you'll just have to make the horrible sacrifice of having her snuggle up close to you. ;)

I know.. just speaking in general. There are some tha are downright godly, Nintendo-like even! :)

BTW, what are your personal Shigs-level godmaster companies of gaming? The ones who have to really struggle to do wrong in your eyes.

I'm thinking Nintendo, Firaxis, GabeCo… anybody else? Maybe Wright?

shadyspace said:
Think about this, what if instead of going third party Nintendo is reacting to market trends by positioning to become ENTIRELY first party. What if they build themselves up to the point where a future Nintendo console is viable as a Nintendo exclusive one?
I think that was the Wii. Faced with a market and publishers that had rejected GameCube, they rejected the standard upgrade path and made decisions based on what would be easiest for their own development without risking losses if it was another low performer.
Not if they would support CSS3/HTML 5.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/

It would be a massive improvement over what they currently have, and more importantly: they can update the shop without needing firmware updates etc.. A webapp store is just a very flexible and fast way to work.
The Wii store is web-based.

HylianTom

Banned
BTW, what are your personal Shigs-level godmaster companies of gaming? The ones who have to really struggle to do wrong in your eyes.

I'm thinking Nintendo, Firaxis, GabeCo&#8230; anybody else? Maybe Wright?

Definitely Will Wright and Sid Meier.
But Miyamoto is on a tier all by himself in my book.

BurntPork

Banned

I think I missed that one.

I still think it's just 3DS except with allowing more than one account tied to the system, and friend codes remain. Not changing my mind until I see concrete proof otherwise.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Not all third parties are bad. A Firaxis/Nintendo partnership would be pretty godly, for instance. I know you won't deny that!

Seriously

I had this dream of collaborations between Nintendo and more PC-Centric developers since, phew.

Imagine an Alpha Centauri, but Nintendoed.

and a Sim City in the mario universe, with green pipes, brick streets, karts, pink ladies castles, lakes, mushrooms houses, etc.

HylianTom

Banned
I think I missed that one.

I still think it's just 3DS except with allowing more than one account tied to the system, and friend codes remain. Not changing my mind until I see concrete proof otherwise.

That's my stance on a lot of Nintendo things, and on video game companies in general. It's just wiser to be wary.

"The sadder but wiser girl for me.."

Azure J

MT Framework getting an upgrade better also mean some goddamned English documentation. That engine is one of the best of this generation. I go back to Devil May Cry 4 every now and again and still can't believe that's a game from the early days of this gen. (Dat water and lighting)

Tangent: What does the MT in the title stand for?

On topic: I think of all the engines to be worried about, Capcom's isn't the one. They're going to come back to it when it's time to make that MonHun money.

That would be awesome...please give me a real civilization for my Wii U or...or XCOM would be great also...

Civilization Revolution was a massive shocker for me. The series has an interface that is almost entirely pointer based, it appeals massively to old school gamers from the era where Nintendo was strongest, and it doesn't specifically appeal to the strongest audiences on the current HD systems. And it uses the Wii's code name in its title. I would grant that the system is slow and very memory bound for a modern Civ game and that it's made by a team that is used to fancy graphics APIs like DirectX, but then I realize that the Nintendo DS got an version of the game, and that has 1/22nd as much memory as the Wii and an even more primitive graphics API.

So I try not to make assumptions about third party games. Except for TimeSplitters 4, that will certainly be released in the Wii U launch window with amazing splitscreen action and impossibly intricate MapMaker and no borrowing of the stupider tropes of this gen's first person shooter genre, for reals.
It'll be made for 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PSV, XB3, PS4, Steambox, Windows, OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, cellphones, tablets and toasters before it reaches the U. :(

HylianTom

Banned
Seriously

I had this dream of collaborations between Nintendo and more PC-Centric developers since, phew.

Imagine an Alpha Centauri, but Nintendoed.

and a Sim City in the mario universe, with green pipes, brick streets, karts, pink ladies castles, lakes, mushrooms houses, etc.

IdeaMan.. that sounds like another 1000-hour game for me. I get easily obsessed with certain western titles on the PC. Civ, Sim City, Elder Scrolls.. all of them exist and compete very well with work and loved ones for my attention.

If an excellent Civilization game ever comes to a Nintendo home console.. oh my.. And if mods are ever allowed, I might lose my job from calling-in with "Civ sickness."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom