• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So

WHAT

AM

I

talking about ?

What is (amongst other things)

the major part of the system

that third parties

nearly aren't aware of in terms of design/looks, overall implementations, etc ?

And to this date ?!

The 10000 kilos chocolate question !!! Tadammmmmm !!!!
Devs totally aren't aware of how video streaming is going to work? Just that it will be there in the retail units of the console? I mean current dev-kits are wired.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Man, I hope the OS is well done. It'd be a shame if nintendo put all that work into it only for it to be garbage.

I still pray for a trophy system. Something more original that doesn't necessarily tally up some arbitrary billion point score that takes over all our inner OCD.

But something that allows for fellow friends to see your smash bros trophies, or "f-zero and star fox gold and silver medals" through a system wide application.

Man, I hope the OS is well done. It'd be a shame if nintendo put all that work into it only for it to be garbage.
same, it really makes or breaks everything.

Sony's is slick in few ways, but average in a lot of ways, but it's never bad. Hopefully Nintendo never goes bad.

Microsofts I find a bit obnoxious but it's very usable. I hope for something slick but also simple.

I still pray for a trophy system. Something more original that doesn't necessarily tally up some arbitrary billion point score that takes over all our inner OCD.
as do I, bothers me that it's not confirmed yet. Nintendo games were made for a trophy system.

HylianTom

Banned

But something that allows for fellow friends to see your smash bros trophies, or "f-zero and star fox gold and silver medals" through a system wide application.
If it's like Steam's system where there is a finite number for each game, that'd be a pretty good way to go about the issue. I always liked that a bit better than a simple numerical score.

And I really, really hope that they limit the ads. Damn does that suck..

Anth0ny

Satterfield was right. I am officially excite! As of an hour ago.

youregoodyou-analyzet1sz0n.gif

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I didn't even think about that. That would be awesome.

Man, I thought I was joking when I said the size of the icons and whether we can move them.

So Nintendo has all these protections in place on their dev kits just so people won't know about the sorts of functions available on the dashboard, and while MS and Sony already know all the documented specs, they'd really want to get their hands on this info?

I don't doubt you or anything, it just seems weird.

I never said MS or Sony already know the specs ?

You have to read my first post like this:

- Someone is asking if MS or Sony could create a fake studio to receive dev kits and dissect them
- I'm answering they can't for different reasons (seal, legal stuff, etc.)
- I'm adding than even if they're doing it, Nintendo is applying an inner circle policy, where the closer you are with them as a company, the more you are aware of
- To illustrate this inner circle thing, i'm teasing about a BIG part of the system that remains veryyyyyyy vague for big third-parties, until now

Then, i expected people to guess what is this aspect i'm talking about.

And some found it, it's the software layer/OS of the system. How a fake studio with MS or Sony behind could know about this important part of the Wii U, whereas big third-parties are far from knowing everything of it, are just left with vague infos about it ? >>> illustration of the inner circle policy (+ the fact that Nintendo is still building it). Expect the main surprises and some kept hidden features to come from the built-in software of the console, as it remains a mystery even for big third-parties to this date.

I can't be more clear than that, but i think my first message was already explicit and a lot understood it well :p

Why is everyone so hyped now? (more hyped than how you have been lately)

any BIG news?

its just part of the normal cycle of these threads but sometimes we just get nice tips

we just found out how the WiiU compares on the top 5 best launch for consoles

1. Wii U

2. WiiU

3. WIIIIU

4. WiiUu

5. Nintendo Wii U because it spits HOT FYRE!

Expect the main surprises and some kept hidden features to come from the built-in software of the console, as it remains a mystery even for big third-parties to this date.

I can't be much clearer, but i think my first message was already explicit :p

So, you are saying that it's safe to say that we already know all the physical features of the system and that any other surprises will come in the form of OS/Online functionality?

Well, people are asking if i'm talking about specs whereas i specifically stated that those are known by third-parties through dev kit boot sequence and SDK documentation
people are asking if i'm talking about DRC features whereas i specifically stated that it wasn't that
It's like 50% of the content of the message is overlooked and read in 1 second without analysis, it's frustrating. It's pretty obvious what part of the Wii U, third-parties aren't aware of its implementation, its design, if i specifically and clearly state that it's not hardware spec, it's not hardware/controller "physical", usable features.

I didn't wanted to spoon-fed you and let you guess what is it, it's more fun.

For what it's worth, my first response was meant in a jocular fashion. Any time I mention haptics and am not actually explaining what it is to somebody who asked, that is the case. Relax, not everybody here is all serious-sauce all the time.

we don't find guessing fun IdeaMan

why could you have not posted a one line tease like Shikamaru Ninja?

Wait, isn't "guessing" another word for "speculation"?

Of course not, I mean that since third parties have the SDK documentation that MS and Sony certainly also have access to it.

I understand what you were saying better, though, just giving an example of the sort of things third parties don't know.

So, you are saying that it's safe to say that we already know all the physical features of the system and that any other surprises will come in the form of OS/Online functionality?

People reading into everything!

Thraktor

during the Android OS laugh-a-ton this Integrity (operating system) was brought up so what is the 3DS OS?

I don't think anyone really knows what the 3DS OS is, it's probably something developed internally by Nintendo.

As far as Integrity is concerned, it's speculated as an OS (or the base of an OS) for the Wii U as Green Hills Software is providing the IDE and compiler for the Wii U, not to mention that it wouldn't be even slightly surprising for Nintendo to go with an OS that's certified to military-grade levels of security (which Integrity is).

You have to read my first post like this:

- Someone is asking if MS or Sony could create a fake studio to receive dev kits and dissect them
- I'm answering they can't for different reasons (seal, legal stuff, etc.)
- I'm adding than even if they're doing it, Nintendo is applying an inner circle policy, where the closer you are with them as a company, the more you are aware of
- To illustrate this inner circle thing, i'm teasing about a BIG part of the system that remains veryyyyyyy vague for big third-parties, until now

Then, i expected people to guess what is this aspect i'm talking about.

And some found it, it's the software layer/OS of the system. How a fake studio with MS or Sony behind could know about this important part of the Wii U, whereas big third-parties are far from knowing everything of it, are just left with vague infos about it ? >>> illustration of the inner circle policy (+ the fact that Nintendo is still building it). Expect the main surprises and some kept hidden features to come from the built-in software of the console, as it remains a mystery even for big third-parties to this date.

I can't be more clear than that, but i think my first message was already explicit and a lot understood it well :p

You can be clearer just tell us everything foo!

For what it's worth, my first response was meant in a jocular fashion. Any time I mention haptics and am not actually explaining what it is to somebody who asked, that is the case. Relax, not everybody here is all serious-sauce all the time.

Oh you think those threads have been FUN? o_O

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

I'm not talking about you :p And it's pretty frustrating to see some of the reactions i got (well, 2/3 annoying messages) in the previous page, whereas in the end, the info given was spontaneous, never heard before, and precise from the start (dev kits seals, some specs appearing during boot sequence, specs available through sdk documentation so dismantling of the boxes isn't necessary, software layer rather vague for third-parties to this date, real dashboard not implemented yet). It's like some people are always unsatisfied whereas it's important and interesting infos. I'm not asking for gratitude or recognition, but a more polite, constructive and less ungrateful tone from some, i worked hard to have this data.

HylianTom

Banned
People reading into everything!

Absolutely. There's a microscope on any and every thing that Nintendo does these days. Every move they make, every word they choose, every business they have even the slightest association with.

Honestly, I'm surprised that we don't have people tailing Reggie and Iwata, documenting their travels like paparazzi.

"Iwata just left the offices of Retro Studios here in Austin after being inside for four hours. He's wearing a huge smile on his face."

Am I the only one who thinks trophy systems are total crap? I don't need stupid tchotchkes to keep me playing, just a good game.

Absolutely. There's a microscope on any and every thing that Nintendo does these days. Every move they make, every word they choose, every business they have even the slightest association with.

It's what happens when we have next to nothing to work with.

Reading into everything? It is a speculation thread after all.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Am I the only one who thinks trophy systems are total crap? I don't need stupid tchotchkes to keep me playing, just a good game.

But there are games that possess these characteristics internally. Colored coins in Mario games. Trophies in Smash Bros. Medals in Star Fox. etc. I think it would be interesting if they were viewable outside of the game by others.

Just nothing as bloated as achievements. 1000+ points. DLC achievements. etc. Just exploiting people for money.

NateDrake

But there are games that possess these characteristics internally. Colored coins in Mario games. Trophies in Smash Bros. Medals in Star Fox. etc. I think it would be interesting if they were viewable outside of the game by others.

Just nothing as bloated as achievements. 1000+ points. DLC achievements. etc. Just exploiting people for money.

This.

I just want a way to see what I did & what my friends' did or didn't. I don't need a Trophy Level or Total # like the 360 does. Something like Steam would be perfect.

Animal Crossing metagame. Achievements unlock items for your house/ town.

I don't see why people are so confused about what IdeaMan has said. It's what I've been saying for ages now as well.
Nintendo's surprises are going to come from software and functionality. Not raw horsepower.
Things like the ability to watch your friend across the world play a game. The ability to seemlessly add online to retro titles. Big focus on creating small and large communities.
This is going to be Nintendo's ace. This will be what people 'Ooh' and 'Aah' about.

I'm not talking about you :p

YAY! :D

And it's pretty frustrating to see some of the reactions i got (well, 2/3 annoying messages) in the previous page, whereas in the end, the info given was spontaneous, never heard before, and precise from the start (dev kits seals, some specs appearing during boot sequence, specs available through sdk documentation so dismantling of the boxes isn't necessary, software layer rather vague for third-parties to this date, real dashboard not implemented yet). It's like some people are always unsatisfied whereas it's important and interesting infos. I'm not asking for gratitude or recognition, but a more polite, constructive and less ungrateful tone from some, i worked hard to have this data.

This thread suffers from a sort of collective bipolar disorder. The mood can change very dramatically from hour to hour, and happy things can often sour a poor disposition further. At a different time, people would have found this very interesting, but at that particular point it merely fed their frustrations.

but there are also people like me who have trouble playing games over and over for no reason. I constantly need an objective. I can't simply play. I have to play towards something. First playthrough I always play to beat the game. But on subsequent playthroughs I need something to work toward. That's where trophies come in. They give you nice little goals and added challenges, and you get recognized for it. It's a pleasent addition.

If nintendo doesn't implement one, I'm taking them down, simple as that.

You know, I'd be OK with some social networking integration if it's clean and not too overbearing.

"XXXX has collected all the stars in Super Mario Universe!"
"XXXX has finished the story in Legend of Zelda:Skyward Sword!"

I have to say though, the way they're implemented on other systems? GAH-BAGE. "You killed 25 scuzzy space mutants in sector 7G!"

People actually care about this junk? (Not Strange Brew, that's the best movie ever, eh!)

HylianTom

Banned
YAY! :D

This thread suffers from a sort of collective bipolar disorder. The mood can change very dramatically from hour to hour, and happy things can often sour a poor disposition further. At a different time, people would have found this very interesting, but at that particular point it merely fed their frustrations.

True. I've found it (IdeaMan's input) interesting, but I'm trying to not take these things all too, too seriously. I'll throw my piece into an argument, but won't go into an all-out foodfight. Otherwise, I would've gotten myself into real trouble in some other thread a long time ago. (Heck, I still feel bad about being a snarky ass on here to someone a few days ago. :/ )

I don't see why people are so confused about what IdeaMan has said. It's what I've been saying for ages now as well.
Nintendo's surprises are going to come from software and functionality. Not raw horsepower.
Things like the ability to watch your friend across the world play a game. The ability to seemlessly add online to retro titles. Big focus on creating small and large communities.
This is going to be Nintendo's ace. This will be what people 'Ooh' and 'Aah' about.

I see what you did there.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

For this point (and i acknowledge that you expressed this expectation before), you are spot-on, because even big third-parties are left in the mist (they are aware of some features but clearly not all) in regard to the software layer of the Wii U to this date (and this precision is important, we are just one month away from E3).

HylianTom

Banned

YES! A thousand times: YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom