• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
I'm not talking about you :p And it's pretty frustrating to see some of the reactions i got (well, 2/3 annoying messages) in the previous page, whereas in the end, the info given was spontaneous, never heard before, and precise from the start (dev kits seals, some specs appearing during boot sequence, specs available through sdk documentation so dismantling of the boxes isn't necessary, software layer rather vague for third-parties to this date, real dashboard not implemented yet). It's like some people are always unsatisfied whereas it's important and interesting infos. I'm not asking for gratitude or recognition, but a more polite, constructive and less ungrateful tone from some, i worked hard to have this data.

Hey, I was just looking to clarify, that's all. Seriously, I appreciate your involvement in this thread, but your writing isn't always the clearest.

I see what you did there.
:p
For this point (and i acknowledge that you expressed this expectation before), you are spot-on, because even big third-parties are left in the mist (they are aware of some features but clearly not all) in regard to the software layer of the Wii U to this date (and this precision is important, we are just one month away from E3).
And it's perfectly Nintendo in everyway. The tech war is lost. It always was, really.
Now when it comes to creating unique experiences and software. Nintendo has that in the bag.

You know, I'd be OK with some social networking integration if it's clean and not too overbearing.

"XXXX has collected all the stars in Super Mario Universe!"
"XXXX has finished the story in Legend of Zelda:Skyward Sword!"

I have to say though, the way they're implemented on other systems? GAH-BAGE. "You killed 25 scuzzy space mutants in sector 7G!"

People actually care about this junk? (Not Strange Brew, that's the best movie ever, eh!)

My hope remains that Nintendo takes the concept a step further, ditches the nebulous concept of profile-wide points and implements a system of cross-game rewards, like so:

I still maintain that points are a terrible idea. People will just buy shittier games that happen to give out points like candy in order to get more e-bling.

Rewards need to be linked to specific actions. You beat NMH3? It unlocks the beam katana in SSBU. You win the Thwomp Cup in "Mario Kart U Dash" in reversed controls mode? Captain Falcon now has the option of riding a hoverbike in "F Negative One". Complete 500 dives in "PilotWings: Endless Warfare"? Bam, your Mii gets to fly around the background of the Wii U Menu in a jetpack. Crazy shit like that. But not tied to points.

I'd even be okay with points remaining as long as I could (A) disable any pop-ups that happen when something related to the "accomplishments" happen, and (B) I get that cross-game thing I mentioned.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ok, question I have had for a while- On Ninja- do we know exactly what type of connections he has? I'm not doubting that he has them, just wondering if we know anything specific?

It's like some people are always unsatisfied whereas it's important and interesting infos. I'm not asking for gratitude or recognition, but a more polite, constructive and less ungrateful tone from some, i worked hard to have this data.

I hope you don't feel that way about me. I'm very glad for the few people we have digging up this information.

It makes a lot of sense that the OS functions would be kept under wraps. I'm expecting a lot of cool stuff in that regard, but I just hope the basic functionality is there from the start. Stuff like the long awaited folders on 3DS.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
YAY! :D

This thread suffers from a sort of collective bipolar disorder. The mood can change very dramatically from hour to hour, and happy things can often sour a poor disposition further. At a different time, people would have found this very interesting, but at that particular point it merely fed their frustrations.

Well, at least it's generating some interesting speculation about trophy system, i hope other topics concerning these infos will be discussed :)

True. I've found it (IdeaMan's input) interesting, but I'm trying to not take these things all too, too seriously. I'll throw my piece into an argument, but won't go into an all-out foodfight. Otherwise, I would've gotten myself into real trouble in some other thread a long time ago. (Heck, I still feel bad about being a snarky ass on here to someone a few days ago. :/ )

No arguments to have about dev kit seals, legal stuff, specs & above all software layer/OS of the Wii U reallyyy intriguing ! :) Your & other people ideas about achievements for the system are good.

I wish there will be somewhat of a link between Club Nintendo and those, with restrictions to avoid the abuse, but i would like my 1000 hours of efforts on F-Zero Wii U to be rewarded by some stars to purchase small & fun stuff like a Captain Falcon NFC figurine unlocked consequently on the website.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Hey, I was just looking to clarify, that's all. Seriously, I appreciate your involvement in this thread, but your writing isn't always the clearest.

It's mainly because i wanted to add a teasing/hey-guess-what-i'm-talking-about part at the end of an explicit list of clear data, it was confusing maybe, sorry :p

Personally, I'd say if Shikamaru is pumped then it's pretty good.

I know, but I would like to put out there that there is a predisposition in this thread (one that I also am often victim to) which goes like this:

Journalist 1: The Wii U is not as good as the rumour mill has otherwise suggested.

Some of Us: Ugh, the media just likes to take potshots at Nintendo whenever they feel like it!

Journalist A: The Wii U is better than the rumour mill has otherwise suggested.

The same Us: OMG, this must be true! HYYYYYPE!!!!!

Now, granted, the picture we've assembled over the past few threads from reasonable sources does paint a more optimistic picture than what most media outlets are suggesting, but we still should remain vigilant to curb how we react to different kinds of rumour.

Disclaimer: I personally think that there's gonna be a really, really solid if not spectacular third party showing. But then I also think there's still a chance that the gpu could get to ≥1 GFLOPS. Hype lives on, brother. :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Today has me hyped.

Not only do we get a statement that Shikamaru Ninja is excite, but IdeaMan is hinting at some unique software applications (which at this point to me are the most important aspects of a console).

Wouldn't it be funny if one of us regulars was some high up Nintendo employee privy to every Wii U detail this entire time. Real funny, indeed...

Linkup

Just because 3rd parties don't know what the OS features will be doesn't mean there is any surprise waiting. Nintendo could just be slow or not like to show things early.

AzaK

I never said MS or Sony already know the specs ?

You have to read my first post like this:

- Someone is asking if MS or Sony could create a fake studio to receive dev kits and dissect them
- I'm answering they can't for different reasons (seal, legal stuff, etc.)
- I'm adding than even if they're doing it, Nintendo is applying an inner circle policy, where the closer you are with them as a company, the more you are aware of
- To illustrate this inner circle thing, i'm teasing about a BIG part of the system that remains veryyyyyyy vague for big third-parties, until now

Then, i expected people to guess what is this aspect i'm talking about.

And some found it, it's the software layer/OS of the system. How a fake studio with MS or Sony behind could know about this important part of the Wii U, whereas big third-parties are far from knowing everything of it, are just left with vague infos about it ? >>> illustration of the inner circle policy (+ the fact that Nintendo is still building it). Expect the main surprises and some kept hidden features to come from the built-in software of the console, as it remains a mystery even for big third-parties to this date.

I can't be more clear than that, but i think my first message was already explicit and a lot understood it well :p

And of all things, this is one thing that Nintendo could keep VERY VERY close to their chest and devs could still go and make their games without knowing how it all works. Of course there might be features like Streetpass etc that devs would need to know about at some point but for now, all they need to know is how to make a loadable binary.

Personally, I'd say if Shikamaru is pumped then it's pretty good.
Who is this Shikamaru dude?

I know, but I would like to put out there that there is a predisposition in this thread (one that I also am often victim to) which goes like this:

Journalist 1: The Wii U is not as good as the rumour mill has otherwise suggested.

Some of Us: Ugh, the media just likes to take potshots at Nintendo whenever they feel like it!

Now, granted, the picture we've assembled over the past few threads from reasonable sources does paint a more optimistic picture than what most media outlets are suggesting, but we still should remain vigilant to curb how we react to different kinds of rumour.

While true, we also have to remember that he is a GAFer as well. And I'll take the words of a confirmed insider GAFer any day.

HylianTom

Banned
No arguments to have about dev kit seals, legal stuff, specs & above all software layer/OS of the Wii U reallyyy intriguing ! :) Your & other people ideas about achievements for the system are good.

I wish there will be somewhat of a link between Club Nintendo and those, with restrictions to avoid the abuse, but i would like my 1000 hours of efforts on F-Zero Wii U to be rewarded by some stars to purchase small & fun stuff like a Captain Falcon NFC figurine unlocked consequently on the website.

That's one of my top online wishes as well. I wish for full Club Nintendo profile integration, a profile page for others to view and get contact info (to arrange matches, invite live gameplay viewings, etc.), maybe some Steam-like "Accomplishments," the ability to watch others play live, the ability to redeem my Nintendo Coins in a Club Nintendo shopping channel, etc.

I'd also love love love the return of the Nsider community forums. To me, there already seems to be a sense of kinship among and between Nintendo fans, so this would be the next logical step in terms of building that sense of community.

Disclaimer: I personally think that there's gonna be a really, really solid if not spectacular third party showing. But then I also think there's still a chance that the gpu could get to ≥1 GFLOPS. Hype lives on, brother. :D
Very fair. My reaction has been pretty muted to Shikamaru's hinting for this precise reason. Trying to stay level-headed.. although it can be hard! :)

And of all things, this is one thing that Nintendo could keep VERY VERY close to their chest and devs could still go and make their games without knowing how it all works. Of course there might be features like Streetpass etc that devs would need to know about at some point but for now, all they need to know is how to make a loadable binary.

Who is this Shikamaru dude?

Shikamaru Nara you know, Temari's boo thang.

hatchx

Banned
You know, I'd be OK with some social networking integration if it's clean and not too overbearing.

"XXXX has collected all the stars in Super Mario Universe!"
"XXXX has finished the story in Legend of Zelda:Skyward Sword!"

I have to say though, the way they're implemented on other systems? GAH-BAGE. "You killed 25 scuzzy space mutants in sector 7G!"

People actually care about this junk? (Not Strange Brew, that's the best movie ever, eh!)

Couldn't agree with this post more. I like the idea of trophies/achievements, but maybe with a max of 5-10 per game. I wouldn't even mind their just being one or two achievements (_____ has beaten the game. _______ has beaten the game on expert/collected everything.)

While true, we also have to remember that he is a GAFer as well. And I'll take the words of a confirmed insider GAFer any day.

Yeah, I put higher confidence when that is the case, as well. Heck, I've never had any serious distrust for that French guy who posts here now and then when he should be sleeping.

Still, I also did not distrust Arkham, and I still don't. That's one of the sticking points here, I think.

My hope remains that Nintendo takes the concept a step further, ditches the nebulous concept of profile-wide points and implements a system of cross-game rewards, like so:

I'd even be okay with points remaining as long as I could (A) disable any pop-ups that happen when something related to the "accomplishments" happen, and (B) I get that cross-game thing I mentioned.

It's not like I'd hate the idea if it was done better. If they do it I want a ground up, sensible rebuild that only works for stuff that's, you know, MEANINGFUL.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Anything Shikamaru Ninja says should be taken pretty seriously. He knows his stuff, and it has been proven time and time again.

Edit: Even his specualtion is worth taking note of IMO.

Same with Hal-Labatory, who knows his shit about Retro Studios. I know he was recently unbanned, but he rarely shows himself in the gamig side (anymore).

schuelma

Anything Shikamaru Ninja says should be taken pretty seriously. He knows his stuff, and it has been proven time and time again.

Now let us speculate- did he hear something on first party stuff, or third party?

Linkhero1

Oh, I think Nintendo fans are going to love it.

To me, it's going to be a question of whether or not non-Nintendo fans will enjoy what they have in store..

Well that depends to be honest. I'm a Nintendo fan but I don't like all their ips. I'm not trying to be that person but if NSMB and Pikmin 3 are the only two Nintendo IPs at launch then third partys are going to have to do a hell of a job to convince me to get a Wii U at launch.

That's one of my top online wishes as well. I wish for full Club Nintendo profile integration, a profile page for others to view and get contact info (to arrange matches, invite live gameplay viewings, etc.), maybe some Steam-like "Accomplishments," the ability to watch others play live, the ability to redeem my Nintendo Coins in a Club Nintendo shopping channel, etc.

I'd also love love love the return of the Nsider community forums. To me, there already seems to be a sense of kinship among and between Nintendo fans, so this would be the next logical step in terms of building that sense of community.

Very fair. My reaction has been pretty muted to Shikamaru's hinting for this precise reason. Trying to stay level-headed.. although it can be hard! :)

You know, full Club Nintendo integration would be GREAT. Especially if they did cool things like including NFC cards to register your games when you buy physical copies, and automatic registration when it's digital.

MAKE IT HAPPEN NINTENDO.

Yeah, I put higher confidence when that is the case, as well. Heck, I've never had any serious distrust for that French guy who posts here now and then when he should be sleeping.

Still, I also did not distrust Arkham, and I still don't. That's one of the sticking points here, I think.

Same. It seemed pretty clear though that Arkam's company's issue was optimization.

That's an odd way to spell No More Heroes 3.
:p

Which is an even odder way to spell Startropics 3. ;)

Mithos

You know, full Club Nintendo integration would be GREAT. Especially if they did cool things like including NFC cards to register your games when you buy physical copies, and automatic registration when it's digital.

MAKE IT HAPPEN NINTENDO.

Yeah in ALL countries if done, not a select few........

schuelma

The claim was in reference to what the Gametrailers chief said, and I don't think he'd consider the lineup "very positive" if it were just ports and first party stuff.

I feel like his usual info usually relates to 1st party stuff.

beje

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo still have their oh so particular view on what's awesome/incredible/revolutionary or not. I mean, it took them AGES (up until recently, I'd say those "Nintendo Direct" shows when analysing the worldwide traffic) to finally give up and acknowledge that people have something called "web browser" in their computer that, in association with an internet connection, lets them get info on what's happening pretty much anywhere in the planet from independent sites of any kind. Until now, they used to pretend that, if info didn't come from the PR department of their regional (or even local) branch, it didn't exist, going as far as almost denying the existence of games already released in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom