• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It's this type of thing that the Wii U is up against...

Prepare yourself....

http://hottaire.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/surprise-surprise-another-mario-game.html

Of course, I'm referring to the news that Nintendo has secured the rights to the name, Mario 4. I'm assuming that this game will be a launch title for the future Wii U or whatever they will call it. Not shocking at all. Hasn't Nintendo already milked that teet for all it's worth? How many more locales can Mario go to? He's already been to other galaxies, parallel worlds, and has even been made of paper! Give the poor guy a vacation! It sucks to see a company that once made cutting edge, challenging games now reduced to money making schemes with 25 year old IP. Shame on you Nintendo. This bothers me because Nintendo used to be great. Back in the NES days, Nintendo made killer game after killer game; Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Blaster Master, Contra, etc. Anyone remember these? They were unique, engaging and challenging. When you beat them, you felt like you accomplished something. Now, the only challenge to Nintendo games is staying awake and trying not to vomit over how old and boring they've become.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There own dumb ass fault. Shows how Anonymous Developer stuff actually happens

I posted an image and defended it not being a Photoshop nor a firebug fiddle. Which it wasn't. .

This is NeoGAF. A lot of website takes it as source. Sometimes, we get the scoop first, or we're one of the first to post it. People link back to NeoGAF all the time.

KageMaru

Apparently my opinion is in the minority here =P

I'll reply to the few posts here, but this discussion is probably a better fit for the new thread about the Wii entertainment system.

Yes. Wii has strong branding, and anybody who doesn't like the name wouldn't like the system with a different name anyway -- it takes games of the right kind to get people to come around to a platform.

The 3DS is selling really well despite not changing its name. It happened to have been phenomenally overpriced for its first few months.

Because "HD" isn't the driving point of the system. It's like calling it "Nintendo Online" or "Nintendo Freemiddlewareforthirdpartydevelopers". Those are features that it has, yeah, but they don't define what the system is.

Yes the 3DS did seem overpriced, especially next to the other DS systems in the market. They run the risk of the same thing happening when the Wii-U is priced much higher than the Wii unless Nintendo does a better job at communicating the difference in the advertisement.

Also, HD is and should very much be one of the selling points for the system. Other than the tablet controller, it's one of the biggest factors that separates it from the Wii. The Wii also had online and such, so those are hardly defining factors when looking at the 2 systems. I was just in nostalgia mode with how Nintendo used to name their systems anyways =P

The Wii is Nintendo's most successful console by leaps and bounds. It would be a mistake *not* to include the Wii name after a hundred million or so sales.

The 3DS was poorly advertised and poorly placed (i.e. 3DS games were mixed in with DS games at stores). When I went to buy an iPhone, I certainly knew the difference between the 4 and the 4s, despite their relatively minor upgrades (certainly the aesthetics were exact). Although I am an informed consumer, Apple certainly made these differences known via advertising.

Am I confident that Nintendo can hit it out of the park advertising the 'new' Wii? No. But to discard the success behind that name would be crazy in my opinion.

I think it would create a hurdle and additional challenges since they would have to also work on separating the Wii-U from the Wii to a market not known to really look into video games.

To each their own though =)

It's not that using Wii in the name would lead to brand confusion, it's that a vague add-on like "U" might not indicate to the general public that it's a new system. Same with the 3DS - it looks pretty much like any other DS, and considering the amount of DS remakes it just seems like a special 3D version of the DS.

Something like "Wii 2" is unambiguous and keeps the brand strength.

Agreed, that would send a clearer message. Problem is, it's unlikely to be called Wii2

Thoraxes

Can you provide a stream of it that doesn't suck.

Lol, fun story. I have no DVD drive on my PC right now.

JackNicholsonNodding.gif

That's the one!
I love that gif.

Also I have the 2005 one too.

SmithnCo

While I was playing Galaxy 2 I did fall asleep and vomit on myself. So he is right in that regard.

But then it turned out I had food poisoning and Galaxy 2 was actually great.

Terrell

I'm not one to typically skip 10 pages to comment on something, but I was busy getting laid last night, so I apologize for the delayed response to this:

it's funny, I would have said that in order to get the most japanese support you'd need to have the best selling console in japan by far, except don't they kind of have that now? And Sony is still killin em in japan.

Which leads to an even bigger challenge for nintendo. If they want an ecosystem where consumers are buying all kinds of games from all kinds of devs, they're going to totally need to revamp their image from casual console to gamers console. But I think Nintendo doesn't want to alienate the casual crowd so......I don't know how they're going going to do it. The Wii-U is their attempt at having their cake and eating it too, but that's much easier said than done.

I've said before and I will say again: Japan only bets on one console per generation and, because of this, they were previously perceived as the "kingmakers". Due to the success of the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo being so VASTLY different architecturally, Japanese developers didn't want to gamble on Nintendo's proposal of the next generation and sank all of their money into developing for the PS3.

Meanwhile, Sony's launch of the PS3 was a complete failure, and since they bet on the wrong horse and were assured that in the beginning years of the PS3 that nothing would sell due to price tag, it FORCED Japanese developers to migrate their development to multi platform on the only other console with anywhere close to matching horsepower. Multi-platform games simply DIDN'T EXIST in Japanese development culture (with the exception of late after-the-fact ports), so it hindered them terribly.

Also, console makers define the direction of their audience, and Sony seemed set to completely and utterly abandon Japan by focusing their internal development on the West (because, as I have also said in the past, the first console of the generation typically DEFINES the generation in a lot of ways), causing Japanese developers to think they had to follow suit (which is a common misconception that they have always had), and they suffered greatly because of that, essentially giving them a double-whammy.

By the time they realized that the Wii was the console pulling ahead in sales worldwide, it was too late to alter course.

With WiiU being closer to its competitors this time around, there's no fear that what they do with the WiiU can't be migrated to another console in case it's a failure, is more likely to sell in Japan and gets to ride a wave of confidence based on Nintendo's previous success with the Wii. Not to mention more modest specs making it safer for them to sink their money into it initially and porting up only if necessary.

I feel this is a non-issue: WiiU will attract Japanese developers to it just by the very nature of it being first to market with a stronger sales track record and greater parity with the competition making it a less frightening proposition. Hell, the graphics whores at TEAM NINJA are in love with it, I think we have no reason to be concerned on this front.

Nintendo's big challenge is capturing the West, if only for the PERCEPTION it leads to at the beginning of the generation, as Western titles might lose relevance in the next generation (just as JRPGs did in this generation). For all we know, Japan could regain its "kingmaker" status and lead the generation as it has in the past with consoles.

HylianTom

Banned
Which brings me to this:
Let's say that Nintendo and Japanese developers gain much ground next time around.
And let's say that Western games and developers stay where they are.

How many articles and commentaries do we see from our press clowns bemoaning the "stagnation" or "decline" of Western game development?

Which brings me to this:
Let's say that Nintendo and Japanese developers gain much ground next time around.

How many articles and commentaries do we see from our press clowns bemoaning the "stagnation" or "decline" of Western game development?

Let's not pull a Fox News and criticize people of doing something they might do in the future.

Sadist

Which brings me to this:

Rhetorical question? ;)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The WES stuff does show why we shouldn't take "Anonymous dev says Wii U sux" seriously though....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom