• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think that there is a possibility that Nintendo changed the screen to a capacitive one including a capacitive stylus?

There's no chance of this. Too many of the kinds of games that Nintendo makes for touch screens seem to rely on the increased precision of resistive screens. Capacative styli are horrible. Additionally, they'd effectively be taking a cost hit for a minimal gain (multitouch, which doesn't have much in the way of useful application for games that aren't workable in other ways on this specific controller).

Why not keep it resistive and just make it multi-touch, since that is what you are actually asking?

I was under the impression that multi-touch on resistive screens was cost-prohibitive. Was I incorrect here?

Why not keep it resistive and just make it multi-touch, since that is what you are actually asking?

It's just that I think the capacitive screen will make it seem like a more pricey device, which I suppose is better in the consumer's mind. It's also more in tune with what people are used to. However; resistive multitouch sounds pretty good. Did not know that existed.

There's no chance of this. Too many of the kinds of games that Nintendo makes for touch screens seem to rely on the increased precision of resistive screens. Capacative styli are horrible. Additionally, they'd effectively be taking a cost hit for a minimal gain (multitouch, which doesn't have much in the way of useful application for games that aren't workable in other ways on this specific controller).

There are resistive multi-touch screens. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I was under the impression that multi-touch on resistive screens was cost-prohibitive. Was I incorrect here?

I could not tell you what they cost, but if Nintendo wanted to use them, they can make it happen.
and honestly I wish they would. There are lots of things that could be done with multi-touch.

Clickable circle pads aren't really possible right? I don't see them changing to analog for the sticks, the triggers would be fine.

They're possible, but the more interesting idea that popped up a couple Wii U Speculation Threads ago was that of pressure sensitivity on the circle pads, which might have more use to it than a digital click.

There are resistive multi-touch screens. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMxfqr0Dnz8
Multitouch, but with the advantages that resistive screens have over capacitive (like pressure sensitivity and high precision).

edit: Also, they use an actual paintbrush to paint. :D

edit²: However, I still maintain that both capacitive screens and multitouch aren't that necessary and aren't worth the additional cost, especially if you have to lose the advantages of the resistive screen.

Shurayuki

I could not tell you what they cost, but if Nintendo wanted to use them, they can make it happen.
and honestly I wish they would. There are lots of things that could be done with multi-touch.

Interesting, never heard of those either, but they exist, wow. Now all we need is a driver changelog from one of those companies that has Wii-U in there!

They're possible, but the more interesting idea that popped up a couple Wii U Speculation Threads ago was that of pressure sensitivity on the circle pads, which might have more use to it than a digital click.

Oh god, I tend to tense up easily, that would terribly go wrong with me, why can't a "stick" just be a stick (for reference, see PES again...I'll panic in front of goal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMxfqr0Dnz8
Multitouch, but with the advantages that resistive screens have over capacitive (like pressure sensitivity and high precision).

edit: Also, they use an actual paintbrush to paint. :D

edit²: However, I still maintain that both capacitive screens and multitouch aren't that necessary and aren't worth the additional cost, especially if you have to lose the advantages of the resistive screen.

Yeah I only want them because I always forget to lift the finger that just did one thing when I touch with the other (that came out convoluted eugh). Idolmaster DS was unplayable with fingers for me, even though it seemed it was designed for that. My brain is too slow, Starcraft-APM hands somehow don't translate to unitouch here.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I have a multitouch phone. Literally, the only thing I use it for is zooming in.....

If Nintendo require that, they can say point at the screen and use the D-pad to zoom instead.

Buttons FTW.

Im bored this morning so.........

:p

You are a creep and I hope you never get get to sign on NiN. For the children's sake
LLShC.gif

Shurayuki

You are a creep and I hope you never get get to sign on NiN. For the children's sake
LLShC.gif

simpsons.gif

So about NiN and how we earlier talked about reserving names. Do you think Nintendo will do it like Blizzard, as in you get to choose what name you want but it get's "individualized" by giving you an additional number code (it's only 3-4 numbers though).
Would even fit with friend-codes. Oh god GAF would be in flames.

simpsons.gif

So about NiN and how we earlier talked about reserving names. Do you think Nintendo will do it like Blizzard, as in you get to choose what name you want but it get's "individualized" by giving you an additional number code (it's only 3-4 numbers though).

Ugggh, that brings back terrible memories of the AOL days of the Internet.

"What's your email address?

"Bob1532"

"Ummm...."

simpsons.gif

Gaf would be torn apart. We can't hate anything Blizzard does with online, and we can't like anything Nintendo does with it. If they were to ever do the same thing...let's just not think about that.

Shurayuki

Ugggh, that brings back terrible memories of the AOL days of the Internet.

"What's your email address?

"Bob1532"

"Ummm...."

Haha no that's not how it is. Your name would be 'GameplayWhore' but to make more people be able to register with that name, you get an additional 4 number Code to make you unique.

So people can search your handle, but if there are multiple 'GameplayWhore's you'll have to tell them you're 'GameplayWhore' 3232 or smth like that (I only ever registered RealFriends, damn if I knew how it actually works).
It's only half like the Aol thing >_>

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Gaf would be torn apart. We can't hate anything Blizzard does with online, and we can't like anything Nintendo does with it. If they were to ever do the same thing...let's just not think about that.

"Nintendo are copying Blizzard! How lame! Don't they have any original ideas?!"

M74

I'm still concerned about the whole circle pad thing. Not having clickable sticks would just be one more hurdle for multi-platform developers to work around, and thus one more reason to potentially ignore the platform. I'm also concerned for their comfort and precision by comparison to traditional inputs. That said, I'm interested in hearing these ideas where the circle pads might actually offer an improvement over clickable sticks. Link to the discussion?

Shurayuki

^Oh god, quick somebody make up some news, this is getting more nightmarish by the minute, and soon is sleepy time!

Actually now that I think about it people hate battle.net 2.0 pretty routinely around most places I frequent (read GAF and TL.net *cough*). So I guess the hate-train would be ready to choo-choo.
But I hate it when people register my Screennames!

I'm still concerned about the whole circle pad thing. Not having clickable sticks would just be one more hurdle for multi-platform developers to work around, and thus one more reason to potentially ignore the platform. I'm also concerned for their comfort and precision by comparison to traditional inputs. That said, I'm interested in hearing these ideas where the circle pads might actually offer an improvement over clickable sticks. Link to the discussion?

Oh, there's no gameplay advantage of pads over sticks. I was talking about the possible advantantage of having analogue pushing instead of digital clicking. That is to say, the analog stick or pad becomes an almost 3D analog control point (it can go up/down, left/right and in but not out).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What do i need to do to get my avatar on the hype train? A scared/shocked AVGN face would be perfect for a hype train moving at high speed into the sun.

Do i need to post speculations and hopes and dreams every hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom