• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_lj8j8mdfF41qzadc3o1_400.gif

OCba8.jpg

You are incredible, GPW!

So the fastest-moving page - excepting the first few at the beginning - was Page 13, when we were having a hot and heavy discussion about our favorite Mario games and naming conventions.

Man, we're predictable!

Note that I just edited it to display in minutes rather than seconds, so next time you look back there, it'll be easier to read/understand.

Also, in case you didn't see, I added in Thread 3, which was indeed faster.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I love this idea. Nintendo likes to talk about wanting to change gaming, to bring it out of the TV and into the living room, and this would be a good logical progression from the Wii and the uPad.

I fear that it might be expensive though. And that most AAA games we'd see with the visor would just be coming from Nintendo, with third parties more reticent. But something tells me that they'd be worth it - imagine an epic Zelda experience!

And I'll bet that I'd end-up having more video gaming dreams. :)

{I'm loving these gifs. Especially when we end-up seeing them around the forum and unsuspecting folks are shocked, haha..}

As far as price goes, I don't think it would be that much. We've heard that the processors in the uPad is cheap. Gyro's are cheap and the screens would be 427x240p but they would need two of them. I think it was estimated that the uPad was ~ $50 to manufacture. Keep in mind that a visor wouldn't need a touch pad, buttons, rumble or a camera - although they could include two on the front. All in all, you would think they could do a visor for roughly the same price as the uPad.

As far as game ideas go, Zelda would be sublime. I remember Miyamoto talking about doing a first person Zelda and also talking about playing games in your living room without a tv at all. The ability to switch between views (like Skyrim) would enable people to play with or with out the visor. A Retro designed FPS would be great too. I imagine it being incredibly immersive.

As far as third party support, it may be shunned but who cares? It wouldn't be any different than any other Nintendo system since the SNES. Nintendo designs the hardware for their games and the industry as a whole almost always follows. In either case, what it will be is a unique experience Microsoft and Sony would have a hard time copying next gen.

HylianTom

Banned
As far as price goes, I don't think it would be that much. We've heard that the processors in the uPad is cheap. Gyro's are cheap and the screens would be 427x240p but they would need two of them. I think it was estimated that the uPad was ~ $50 to manufacture. Keep in mind that a visor wouldn't need a touch pad, buttons, rumble or a camera - although they could include two on the front. All in all, you would think they could do a visor for roughly the same price as the uPad.

As far as game ideas go, Zelda would be sublime. I remember Miyamoto talking about doing a first person Zelda and also talking about playing games in your living room without a tv at all. The ability to switch between views (like Skyrim) would enable people to play with or with out the visor. A Retro designed FPS would be great too. I imagine it being incredibly immersive.

As far as third party support, it may be shunned but who cares? It wouldn't be any different than any other Nintendo system since the SNES. Nintendo designs the hardware for their games and the industry as a whole almost always follows. In either case, what it will be is a unique experience Microsoft and Sony would have a hard time copying next gen.

I'd love to see a Zelda game with a first-person option. Fans would cry bloody murder, I suspect. But with a visor.. I could see it being a dizzying experience.

The puzzle designs would be incredible.

I'm just going to shut up about it now since I know the mods will soon ban anything that gets out of hand anyway.

we have no news so carry on til you miss E3 for posting stupid shit

Bagu

I'd love to see a Zelda game with a first-person option. Fans would cry bloody murder, I suspect. But with a visor.. I could see it being a dizzying experience.

Fans cry bloody murder at every opportunity.
Would be a great opportunity to get rid of the camera panning over the solved puzzle thing they always do

SmithnCo

This makes me think how much more tolerable the missile firing in Other M would've been if you could just use the WiiU pad. Something like this would work well with Metroid in general.

All right, I'm going to speculate.

Here's a secret feature Nintendo may be able to implement.

Stereo scopic head visor.

- Wii U is already streaming video.
- Nintendo has said the Wii U will support 3D.
- Nintendo has been experimenting with 3D & augmented reality on 3DS.
- Wii U has full motion controls with the Wii remote and nun chuck.

All that's really needed control wise is for the visor to enable head tracking. The Wii remote and nun-chuck are perfect for this type of control for this type of gameplay. The streaming video resolution of the screen appears to be adequate for viewing in stereo 3D. Nintendo could also potentially get the screens, gyroscopes, processors and other components needed at a price affordable for consumers.

http://kyoto-report.blogspot.com/2011/04/ninja-courier_19.html

It looks like Nintendo Technology Development, the Seattle based hardware group under Howard Cheng, has been quite busy researching and developing several of the technologies being used in Project Cafe. One of the more interesting features is their work on tracking systems and head-mounted stereoscopic displays along with CPU and GPU research and evaluation.

For those wondering what direction the system might take from a purely geometrical calculation standpoint. Some of the new team members at Nintendo Technology Development include one of the head engineers responsible for the PS3's Cell CPU and RSX GPU.

While the news is not indicative of the ultimate fire power the system may carry, it certainly is promising.

I see shit like that being next generation or the generation after that but not now.

I know we have Kinect but not sure the climate is right yet for something so abstract as wearing headgear while gaming.

Wii U controller is actually a prototype for next gen multi-stereoscopic head-mounted displays with tracking! Believe!

HylianTom

Banned
Nothing has happened in any of those 4 threads.

Except for a lot of lying..
tumblr_lrfv4ikZ6j1qamncpo7_400.jpg

And a lot of love..
6a00e54ffb0bef8834016760e71ebf970b-800wi

More lies.
Michael-Bluth-Arrested-Development-tv-male-characters-16008517-386-254.jpg

---

So, now that I've posted a beloved TV show's characters.. does anyone have any idea if we'll see an HBO apps or anything of that sort, similar to that which is on 360? I know Hulu and Netflix are greenlit..

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Morning!

The makers of Bit Trip Runner 2 are at it again. They sent this tweet out...

Email wiiu@gaijingames.com with radical ideas for Wii U features for #Runner2 and maybe, just maybe, we'll bring it to Nintendo's console.

My response:
I don't care if you do any wacky stuff with the tablet, just please bring the game to Wii U.....

A lot of devs are delaying their games for Wii U, under the misguided belief that they have to do something special. The game is enough.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Here's something I was thinking about last night...

We've never had much continuity in Zelda... In terms of continuing a story. Last time a direct sequel really happened was Majora's Mask after OoT, but even that didn't really have much to do with Ocarina.

Would gamers be upset if Zelda games had "sequels"? If the games were compact and great in their own rights, would it bother you if the story unfolded in a future game?

The difference is that what was before an idea by someone is now a real possibility. The Wii U will already have this technology built in. All that's needed is the visor. Everything else is in place.

Thisbookcanalsobeahat_-new.gif

I actually think it would be really really cool to see true stereoscopic 3D (in 720p HD) on a Nintendo console.

The "have to do something unique" excuse is exactly that.

It's a guise to ho-hum desire to make games for the platform.

You know if it happens, the result won't likely be revolutionary, just make games for the system already.

We've never had much continuity in Zelda... In terms of continuing a story. Last time a direct sequel really happened was Majora's Mask after OoT, but even that didn't really have much to do with Ocarina.

Would gamers be upset if Zelda games had "sequels"? If the games were compact and great in their own rights, would it bother you if the story unfolded in a future game?

Wouldn't that be detrimental to those that never followed the series before???

Or would it be a case where you don't HAVE to know what went on before but it would add something if you did???

I would love to see a huge Zelda trilogy but Zelda fans are so picky unless it was a spin-off by someone outside of Nintendo they might scream bloody murder

HylianTom

Banned

I would not be the slightest bit upset if Nintendo decided to do this. Especially if they succeeded at writing a story with a cliffhanger that could leave people analyzing/debating it for the following three or four years while the sequel is in progress. That'd be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom