• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's true. xii will also be very good.

and seriously, i doubt the speculation threads will stop at e3 unless nintendo unveils all because launch is in may.

They won't stop until the system is launched.
And even then, they'll just be renamed to the "Official Wii U [OT]"

With Sony having their own Android walled garden in the PS Suite, does anyone think it would be possible in a million years for Nintendo to do something similar?

I was thinking about it, and it would be very beneficial, but it would have to be an unusual setup. They'd have to re-write their ROM to output to the secondary display (the tablet controller), which would probably be a considerable amount of work... but the specs make it more than capable obviously, and what's more is that making your device compatible and tailoring the source code is 'free'.

Near Field Communication is possible on Android 4.0, and Wii-U has more than the 340MB necessary for the kernel and userspace, it has the 350MB+ necessary for App Shared Storage, it has the extensible memory via USB / SD... it is actually also possible and permissible to code a ROM so that it will launch applications (or games) in Alternate Execution Environments (environments other than the Dalvik VM) seamlessly too, as long as they don't dip into resources used by Android and it doesn't compromise security.

To my mind, its very very doable, and would make the controller much more useful and cool -- because to get a standalone tablet with the same processing grunt that the Wii-U would have would cost probably 2 or 3 times the amount that the Wii-U will cost. I think people would happily forgo the "leaving the house" aspect of a tablet, if they could get a very powerful one they could only use in the home. I just can't see Nintendo doing it though, because they are precious about controlling their eco-system. So are Sony and Microsoft actually.

BD1

Banned
I hope Nintendo announces GameCube Virtual Console at E3. Lately I have been going back and forth between buying a GameCube. (Mine was sadly lost during a move about 3 years ago). I have a great collection of games and several controllers, so I could always play them on Wii....But my gut is GameCube will still be running when its just nuclear zombies and cockroaches roaming the earth, and the Wii will crap out sooner or later.

hatchx

Banned
sadly 2013 smash u/3ds would be impossible...... unless they dont overdo adventure mode again

I can see the 3DS version making it assuming another team went ahead without Sakurai. I'm sure Nintendo could get a team to make a Brawl/Melee downport and add a nice online, 3D support, spot pass, some new levels and DLC ready for mid-holiday 2013.

With Sony having their own Android walled garden in the PS Suite, does anyone think it would be possible in a million years for Nintendo to do something similar?

I was thinking about it, and it would be very beneficial, but it would have to be an unusual setup. They'd have to re-write their ROM to output to the secondary display (the tablet controller), which would probably be a considerable amount of work... but the specs make it more than capable obviously, and what's more is that making your device compatible and tailoring the source code is 'free'.

Near Field Communication is possible on Android 4.0, and Wii-U has more than the 340MB necessary for the kernel and userspace, it has the 350MB+ necessary for App Shared Storage, it has the extensible memory via USB / SD... it is actually also possible and permissible to code a ROM so that it will launch applications (or games) in Alternate Execution Environments (environments other than the Dalvik VM) seamlessly too, as long as they don't dip into resources used by Android and it doesn't compromise security.

To my mind, its very very doable, and would make the controller much more useful and cool -- because to get a standalone tablet with the same processing grunt that the Wii-U would have would cost probably 2 or 3 times the amount that the Wii-U will cost. I just can't see Nintendo doing it though, because they are precious about controlling their eco-system. So are Sony and Microsoft actually.

Nintendo is looking to please their investors, and the biggest push from some investors is to make Nintendo develop on iOS.

With this approach, Nintendo brings that market to them. Anything to shut up investors begging for iOS is a huge win in my book.

AniHawk

Price?
Release date?
1st party launch titles?
Bullshit xbox360 multiplier equivalent?
E3 Surprise?

$299.99
November 18, 2012
new super mario bros. mii (connects with super mario bros. 4 on the 3ds!), pikmin 3, monster games game
1.2x
zelda trailer. skyward sword was basically done in 2010.

HylianTom

Banned
that's true. xii will also be very good.

and seriously, i doubt the speculation threads will stop at e3 unless nintendo unveils all because launch is in may.

Agreed. We'll just move on to speculating about what titles will be delayed, what titles will suck, when Launch Day is, what the final price will be, different camping and preordering strategies, pre-Launch product reviews from media outlets, reported sightings of demo units at retail locations, how long the line is currently at your local Best Buy, what bullshit bundles your retailer is requiring with a preorder, any counter-moves that Sony and Microsoft make, comments from developers and publishers, and what food you'll be stocking-up for Launch Week.

There will always be plenty to talk about. It will be glorious, as usual.

Let's all PM mods to change the title.
Hmm. I'm worried that this would backfire.

AzaK

To my mind, its very very doable, and would make the controller much more useful and cool -- because to get a standalone tablet with the same processing grunt that the Wii-U would have would cost probably 2 or 3 times the amount that the Wii-U will cost. I think people would happily forgo the "leaving the house" aspect of a tablet, if they could get a very powerful one they could only use in the home. I just can't see Nintendo doing it though, because they are precious about controlling their eco-system. So are Sony and Microsoft actually.

I don't know enough about Android to know how "pedal to the metal" it is and whether it would get the performance Nintendo would want. An OS seems to have a crapton of overhead which is never particularly welcome in a gaming console.

However, if Nintendo wanted to offer more OS type functionality it would seem silly to write their own full operating system.

Game-Biz

wtf. I thought we were going with "A New Hype" for the thread title?

Eh, there's always the next Nintendo console speculation thread next generation.

BD1

Banned
Nintendo is looking to please their investors, and the biggest push from some investors is to make Nintendo develop on iOS.

With this approach, Nintendo brings that market to them. Anything to shut up investors begging for iOS is a huge win in my book.

How much does Nintendo really care about their investors though? The company was public long before they were a game company and (I might be wrong) I think the Yamuchi family owns a HUGE percentage of the company. I've always felt Nintendo is a public company today because they were 50 years ago, and there's no point changing now.

Also, Nintendo games will be on iOS when the industry as we know it has completely collapsed and the company has cratered to rock bottom.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
This would mesh well with the ">512MB of memory restricted from developer usage" info that's been leaked out.

I still don't understand why that much memory would need to be walled off while p,aging the main game.... unless?? They will alow a second tablet user to use the O/S features while player one plays a disc game? But, then they'd need to dedicate CPU and GPU resources along with the memory. Can a PC even multitask in this way?

I don't know enough about Android to know how "pedal to the metal" it is and whether it would get the performance Nintendo would want. An OS seems to have a crapton of overhead which is never particularly welcome in a gaming console.

However, if Nintendo wanted to offer more OS type functionality it would seem silly to write their own full operating system.

The actual bootloader is usually really lightweight, but the kernel can be 2MB+. The "home" menus are effectively little apps themselves that serve as shortcuts to other apps, they all run in Dalvik VMs and do not interact/operate in each others spaces unless specifically designed to... a few persistent services usually run in the background, but nothing I would have thought too onerous, and when the system needs resources it usually kills a VM or unnecessary service in order to proceed.

Basically when a Wii-U game or Wii game launched, they could make a call to the loader to suspend / force close all non-essential VMs (including the home menu) and run the native code. If the ARM11 they've put in there as a handler for media functions and so forth is capable enough, maybe that could also act like the Starlet did in the Wii and handle all the low level bootloading, plus the app loading and suspending functionality too. If they did it right, they could probably get it down in such a way that the only resources being taken up would be on the solid state storage (for the OS itself) and by whatever persistent services they want to keep running (friends list / messaging / notifications).

Again, I think I'd love to see it, but I can't see Nintendo being open to it -- unless they got a nudge from some third parties or something.

TunaLover

Going for what ShockingAlberto said, I expect a big step over 360/PS3 performance for games specially optimized for the system, a 2.5x jump over current gen.

AzaK

I still don't understand why that much memory would need to be walled off while p,aging the main game.... unless?? They will alow a second tablet user to use the O/S features while player one plays a disc game? But, then they'd need to dedicate CPU and GPU resources along with the memory. Can a PC even multitask in this way?

That's a pretty cool thought to be honest. Also what if that RAM is also used for VC games so not only can you do OS stuff, you can actually play VC games on one tablet while the other is playing a "full" game or using the system for other things.

Even we don't get it, they might just be holding off on making the RAM available until they know exactly how much they need for their OS stuff - present and future features.

BurntPork

Banned

A quarter of 3DS's RAM is reserved for the OS. It makes sense that the same would be true of Wii U.

This is absolutely possible. On Linux systems, for example, you can have a bunch of separate graphical sessions running at the same time, logged in as different users or even all as the same user, where special keystrokes swap back and forth between them on one monitor. It's really tricky to get two physical screens to have two logins (especially since you have to selectively allocate your input devices and soforth), but it is possible. It is likely far easier on a device where you build your the base level software up from scratch.

HylianTom

Banned
How much does Nintendo really care about their investors though? The company was public long before they were a game company and (I might be wrong) I think the Yamuchi family owns a HUGE percentage of the company. I've always felt Nintendo is a public company today because they were 50 years ago, and there's no point changing now.

Also, Nintendo games will be on iOS when the industry as we know it has completely collapsed and the company has cratered to rock bottom.

A very large part of me hopes that Nintendo is true to their word: if they stop making hardware, they stop making software. To be clear: this is just my personal opinion, and I completely understand if it's odd or awful-sounding to some of you, but the idea of playing a Nintendo game on a Microsoft machine seems very abhorrent to me.

At that point, I'd pack it up and stop following the video gaming industry. They could do what they want at that point; I wouldn't care one whiff about them. I'd work on my Nintendo collection. Nayru knows that there's a huge library of games out there from the 1980s onward - and plenty of gaps in my collection. I could live for decades on these gaps I haven't touched - and then more decades on the games that I already have.

I'd continue to collect sealed copies of my very favorite games. My current sealed game collection (for preservation purposes) is already well underway, so I already know what to look for and what to expect as far as pricing is concerned.

Those are my thoughts on that. I'm glad that Nintendo seems to be proud enough that they would be true to their word as far as this issue is concerned. /dons flamesuit

link

In a recent article, we talked about how Wii U may be slightly lacking in 3rd party support, but Nintendo may be making up for that themselves, as recent rumours suggest that Ninty have some HD tricks up their sleeve.

According to Dual Pixels, Nintendo is working on a racing simulation game, codenamed, “Concept Grand Prix”. The game is apparently being developed in tandem with Lucid Games, a group known for their work on racing titles such as ‘Project Gotham Racing’ and ‘Blur’, which have both appeared on current HD consoles.

There is definitely some weight behind the rumour too, with Dual Pixels revealing several details about the game:

‘Players will begin their careers working for R&D Division, one of many fictional automobile manufacturers and concept design providers in the game. The title features a deep car customization element which allows you to build cars from scratch based on concepts provided by car manufacturers such as R&D Division. Using Wii U’s tablet, players can customize everything from the vehicles individual spark plugs to curing plastics on the exterior finish. Once a player finishes their first vehicle, they’ll be put through R&D Tests, which has been directly compared to Gran Turismo’s licensing system.’

Dual Pixels also provided in depth details of the Online Mode in the game:

‘CGP ‘s online multiplayer will add longevity to the title by providing monthly challenges many of which will require you to design cars to pass downloadable R&D Tests. Online races will accommodate 12-players simultaneously; you will earn points by creating cars and racing them for your company.’

This could all be total rubbish, but there is some definite weight to these rumours as you can see above. We should know more soon enough though, as the source has told Dual Pixels to expect an ‘announcement at or leading up to E3 2012′.

e3bear2012-1.png

It's almost time.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
That's a pretty cool thought to be honest. Also what if that RAM is also used for VC games so not only can you do OS stuff, you can actually play VC games on one tablet while the other is playing a "full" game or using the system for other things.

Even we don't get it, they might just be holding off on making the RAM available until they know exactly how much they need for their OS stuff - present and future features.

The thing is that the idea flies in the face of the whole point of game consoles to begin with, that programmers can count on having access to the whole system and don't have to compete with other applications for resources.

Actually, this idea makes a little more sense in the new Sony and Microsoft machines in that those are reported to include TWO gpus... at least I think.

Gahiggidy

A quarter of 3DS's RAM is reserved for the OS. It makes sense that the same would be true of Wii U.

What exactly is stored in that reserved memory while you are playing he game? Does it change?

AzaK

The thing is that the idea flies in the face of the whole point of game consoles to begin with, that programmers can count on having access to the whole system and don't have to compete with other applications for resources.

Yes it may very well present performance issues in some cases but it depends on what tech is in the Wii U and how all the API's are constructed. Think of it like two distinct systems running. There might be two separate API's depending on whether you're running a VC/OS title or a main game.

These API's control access to their own set of resources like main RAM, 1t-SRAM/EDRAM/Nothing, sound channels etc with some pretty strong restrictions on the OS side of things so that there is little effect on the main game.

So long as there's enough tech to handle it (i.e. enough EDRAM for main and some extra for say the 3MB in Flipper of the Gamecube, if it's needed at all) it might work.

Not saying they will, it would require a lot of thought and a lot of work but it would definitely be a cool selling point that's for sure. Man, imagine if it could work in such a way that you could use 4 "tablets" at once, maybe at sacrificing a main game in this situation. Could be great for families.

Edit: Another thought. Could Nintendo essentially include a Wii (Or a Cube??) in there and so any OS stuff you wanted to do could be handled by that, including playing Cube VC games on the tablet and lower?

It really doesn't.
Wii U has more than 2GB RAM confirmed? (Someone had to say it right?)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What I just posted on another site moaning about the Wii U graphics..

Nintendo are right - graphics aren't important.
We have reached a level now where the graphics are "good enough" and we're rapidly hitting a wall.

Super Mario Galaxy 1-2 were the highest rated games this gen on any format. If graphics really mattered, it would be a PS3 game in that position instead.

If you want the best games, buy Nintendo.
If you want the best graphics, buy a $3000 PC.

We have reached a level now where the graphics are "good enough" and we're rapidly hitting a wall.

Super Mario Galaxy 1-2 were the highest rated games this gen on any format. If graphics really mattered, it would be a PS3 game in that position instead.

If you want the best games, buy Nintendo.
If you want the best graphics, buy a $3000 PC.

That's pretty spinnable. If you look at that particular listing, out of the top ten console games from this generation, the two highest may indeed by those two Wii games, but overall 80% are HD games*. The fact that they're HD systems doesn't make their games automatically inferior on the whole by default.

* there is a ton of repetition there, though

Full disclosure: I always buy Nintendo consoles and enjoy their games highly, even the ones that laugh at you

Mistle

already another thread? D: with 9 pages? D: D:

hopefully we get some decent info this time around. i want to join in but often can't motivate myself lol

Log4Girlz

It's almost like they're a Sadist or something....

Oh, did I not make it obvious enough.

Its like he's a

sa·dist  [sey-dist, sad-ist]
noun
Psychiatry . a person who has the condition of sadism, in which one receives sexual gratification from causing pain and degradation to another.
a person who enjoys being cruel.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Graphics are important though. They just aren't the most important.

And the way your post sounds, it implies that PS360 games had shit gameplay for the sake of better graphics. The 360 had the best library of games this generation, in terms of quantity of quality titles.

This "Nintendo monopoly on good gameplay" is the only thing that miffs me about Nintendo fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom