• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Fi? I haven't been keeping track of the Zelda threads.
Fi is a character from Skyward Sword who is ALWAYS giving away how to solve puzzles, removing much of the fun and challenge. She is basically taking Navi from Ocarina of Time, hated fairy companion, and making her far worse. For example, you walk into a room and before you even have a chance to notice that unlike other rooms that room has a skylight shining sun down on the floor, Fi pipes in with "Look, this room has a skylight - you can see one of those things you need to shoot up through it! You can probably hit it with your arrows."

guek

Banned
I don't see a better time for a name rebranding. The name 'wii' will make everyone a skeptic, and they are trying to regain a lot of hardcore gamers, it'd be a good start.

I really don't get this line of thought. The Wii will make a small subset of hardcore gamers skeptic. Most people will simply think "Brand new Wii? That's cool, makes sense, the old one is a bit dated." Most people wont think about it hard enough to go "Oh Wii. Well while I enjoyed using the wii several years ago, I noticed that its content stream thinned out considerably in its last year or so on the market. This leads me to believe that the Wii U may suffer a similar fate primarily due to having the same branding and manufacturer of a machine I once enjoyed but eventually became outdated."

royalan

what relevant members of the media didn't get a chance to see the wii u at E3? I understand there's a marginal benefit to being at CES, but this thing doesn't even have a booth, it's behind closed doors. Nintendo isn't a company that historically attends events without a good reason. It almost seems like a complete waste of their time.

Also, why only have a closed-door showing if you're only going to be demonstrating stuff that you displayed publicly at E3 just 6 months prior?

And not only that, why have a closed-door showing for the media? That's not the point of the media...

I do think something fishy's afoot.

guek

Banned
Fi is a character from Skyward Sword who is ALWAYS giving away how to solve puzzles, removing much of the fun and challenge. She is basically taking Navi from Ocarina of Time, hated fairy companion, and making her far worse. For example, you walk into a room and before you even have a chance to notice that unlike other rooms that room has a skylight shining sun down on the floor, Fi pipes in with "Look, this room has a skylight - you can see one of those things you need to shoot up through it! You can probably hit it with your arrows."

This is a lie. I'm 2/3 of my way through the game and she's done this maybe twice. And hey, I fucking love navi!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Alternatively, Fi is the 'Navi' character in Skyward Sword. She's a created being with a robotic turn of phrase that conceals a wickedly dry sense of humour, she deliberately avoids being too helpful and, incidentally, has a marvellous pair of legs.

Alrus

BP, what did you do now?!

MY OPINION IS FACT AND YOU MUST LIVE WITH IT! YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE NINTENDO GAMES MORE THAN OTHER COMPANIES UNLESS YOU ARE A FANBOY, AND IF YOU'RE A FANBOY YOUR OPINION SUCKS!

My guess would be that :p

Yay Hyperbole! She does it twice at most, that's not really ALWAYS. Lets not insult Fi and say she's Issun now. (and I'm saying this as someone who didn't like Fi at all).

snesfreak

Banned
Not true.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
IIRC she outright spoils two puzzles, and in both circumstances only after an error from the player (wrong solution in a puzzle before dungeon 3, leaving a room before solving a puzzle in dungeon 5). By comparison, the tombstones you find lying around spoil much more stuff by just telling you what to do instead of giving hints through riddles.
Now, I agree she's annoying, I agree telling the player how to solve the puzzles after small errors is too much, and I agree her tendency to re-state the obvious is beyond comical, but the hyperbole around Fi is probably even more ridiculous.

Hiltz

I do kind of wonder how zelda will work with the tablet. If it goes back to traditional controls i will be quite disappointed.

Aonuma did state that its unlikely for Zelda to go back to all buttons because of motion control. Of course, it is anyone's guess as to what Nintendo does on the Wii U for the next game's combat system since trying to replicate Skyward Sword's would seem impractical.

Fi's worst flaw is perhaps pointing out the most obvious information like approaching a locked door only to be told to find a key for it... and this is after the camera does a close up of the door. At times, she also reminds you of what to do and where to go next after already being informed by an npc on the subject mere seconds ago.

IIRC she outright spoils two puzzles, and in both circumstances only after an error from the player (wrong solution in a puzzle before dungeon 3, leaving a room before solving a puzzle in dungeon 5). By comparison, the tombstones you find lying around spoil much more stuff by just telling you what to do instead of giving hints through riddles.
Now, I agree she's annoying, I agree telling the player how to solve the puzzles after small errors is too much, and I agree her tendency to re-state the obvious is beyond comical, but the hyperbole around Fi is probably even more ridiculous.

I think having an option to skip text or increase the text speed, would make Fi a lot better.

Still as annoying as Fi can get, she's nowhere near as bad as Issun for example.

Hiltz

I think having an option to skip text or increase the text speed, would make Fi a lot better.

Still as annoying as Fi can get, she's nowhere near as bad as Issun for example.

This is true. I've never been so annoyed by how chatty that little bastard is.

So is that Wii U city tech demo similar to that of the interactive Zelda HD one where you can just have control over the camera and maybe switching between day to night?

This is true. I've never been so annoyed by how chatty that little bastard is.

So is that Wii U city tech demo similar to that of the interactive Zelda HD one where you can just have control over the camera and maybe switching between day to night?

I believe there was a tech demo shown behind closed doors at last E3 where you could drive a car around a virtual city and use the UPad to look around in 3D space. Sounded cool.

snesfreak

Banned
They should have toned down Fi a bit, but the hyperbole that gets said about her is funny to me.
Frankly the item messages popping back up after you start playing again is more annoying than anything Fi does, but that can be dealt with (Homebrew FTW.)

[Nintex];34158294 said:
"Well Geoff we listen to the fans and have all this great content coming to Wii like Xenoblade Chronicles that we're really excited about."

"So what about Wii U Reggie will we see that too, with rumors of new xbox's popping up and Samsung Smart TV's having more processing power than Wii does, does that worry you guys in any way?"

"Well Geoff, Wii U is coming, it's certainly coming but we're not quite ready to talk about it yet untill Mr. Miyamoto thinks it's perfect."

"Just like Zelda right?"

"Yes, just like our games we really need to deliver the experience that people expect from us"

"Explain Fi"

[snip]

Allow me to continue:

"She's great isn't she, you want companions - check that box!"

"Yeah bu.."

"GEOFF!"

*reggie enters Geoff's personal space a little more, his physical presence and stance betraying his attempt to smile. His smile says friendly Nintendo President, his body says "I will take your name, clench it in a tight fist and ram it up your rectum"*

I seriously hope Geoff is as awesome with him as he was in that interview.

Hiltz

I think the CES interview with Reggie is at 1 PM on the west coast. SpikeTV's airing the new episode today from 10 AM - 2PM.

Hiltz

[Nintex];34158294 said:
"Well Geoff we listen to the fans and have all this great content coming to Wii like Xenoblade Chronicles that we're really excited about."

"So what about Wii U Reggie will we see that too, with rumors of new xbox's popping up and Samsung Smart TV's having more processing power than Wii does, does that worry you guys in any way?"

"Well Geoff, Wii U is coming, it's certainly coming but we're not quite ready to talk about it yet untill Mr. Miyamoto thinks it's perfect."

"Just like Zelda right?"

"Yes, just like our games we really need to deliver the experience that people expect from us"

"Explain Fi"

Continuation of Interview:

Reggie: Well Geoff, let me put it this way. When Mr. Miyamoto tells me to suck his dick, do you know what I do?

Geoff: ... You suck his dick?

Reggie: That's right.

Geoff: But that doesn't explain my question about Fi in Skyward Sword.

Reggie: Oh that. Mr. Miyamoto was reminded about the importance of hand holding in video games because he likes it when I hold his right hand while he places his other hand firmly on top of my head while I suck dick.

Geoff: ...

Reggie: Why are you taking your pants off?

Kandinsky

Allow me to continue:

"She's great isn't she, you want companions - check that box!"

"Yeah bu.."

"GEOFF!"

*reggie enters Geoff's personal space a little more, his physical presence and stance betraying his attempt to smile. His smile says friendly Nintendo President, his body says "I will take your name, clench it in a tight fist and ram it up your rectum"*

I seriously hope Geoff is as awesome with him as he was in that interview.

Continuation of Interview:

Reggie: Well Geoff, let me put it this way. When Mr. Miyamoto tells me to suck his dick, do you know what I do?

Geoff: ... You suck his dick?

Reggie: That's right.

Geoff: But that doesn't explain my question about Fi in Skyward Sword.

Reggie: Oh that. Mr. Miyamoto was reminded about the importance of hand holding in video games because he likes it when I hold his right hand while he places his other hand firmly on top of my head while I suck dick.

Geoff: ...

Reggie: Why are you taking your pants off?

Yeah... remember when gaf asked you to stop your silly fanfic stuff Nintex?.

lol @ thread title change.

One day, Valve will combine with Nintendo, and the fanatics from both companies will combine to form the absolutest dumbest thread in NeoGaf history.

2012, ya'll. Lets go out with a bang.

Log4Girlz

I'm expecting this console to be really weak. In terms of RAM, at most, 768mb.

You and me both Mr. Lion. If Nintendo delivers more, it would make me ecstatic.

Anyhoo...about Skyward sword, I'm like only 3 hours into it and I already hate Fi. A shame, since she's a gloriously beautiful character model. But its like.. SHUT THE FUCK UP. I wish there was an option that she would only show up when beckoned and that's that.

snesfreak

Banned
Nintendo needs to show a game at E3 that PROVES beyond any doubt this damn thing is more powerful than the damn 360.
Something that CANNOT be done on current systems.
Maybe the doubters would finally be satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom