• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Jezan

ALOzS.jpg

GTA 5 timed exclusive confirmed.
F-Zero GX Story Chapter 4.

I want to believe!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
If Nintendo can't rationalize a heavy inclusion of media functionality for a tablet controller, then all hope is lost for Nintendo consoles to have multi-functionality. A tablet controller would certainly be a much better fit for this stuff than navigating menus and screens with a traditional controller or Wiimote. If the tech and memory is there to support it, there's no excuse not to embrace it other than pure cheapness.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm starting to think it might be kind of appealing to have a console that is minimal in additional features beyond gaming. That's not to say I don't want good graphics, controls and online, but I don't want online to be a requirement. I'd really like it if they just sold the system barebones and let you add any apps if you want to and just soley concentrate on games.

AniHawk

Oh I hope they change the WiiU name.

The wii has such a negative stigma with gamers.

the time to change the wii u name would have been sometime in before e311.

everything about the general look and name of the console and controller is pretty finalized. sorta needs to be since it's launching in several a few months.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
they shoulda pulled a sony and used spanish so they could call it Wii-Tu and get away with still calling it Wii(you) and a successor to the original wii at the same time.

... but a positive stigma with the whole rest of the universe?

...but gamers, phisheep - gamers.

;-)

Hardcore gamers who will swallow just about anything - from returning a console half-a-dozen times because of manufacturing cockups to being nickel & dimed on unlockable on-the-disc content - just won't be able to get past a name? Yeah, right.

If the system has the same type of games as the Wii and the same poor third-party content, then Nintendo will have an issue. The name? Not so much.

Thraktor

It's not impossible for them to change the name at this stage. The Nintendo 64 was known as the Ultra 64 for a year after it was unveiled.

Probably old, but:

V5 devkit and new codename?

801.11n?

Where are these from?

If the second one is the controller, then it seems to be that it's receiving the video over 802.11n, which means (unless they're using a much higher bitrate implementation of the standard than almost any other commercial device) that the video is going to be compressed.

I am now officially worried about lag on the Wii U pad's screen.

BurntPork

Banned
It's not impossible for them to change the name at this stage. The Nintendo 64 was known as the Ultra 64 for a year after it was unveiled.

So, who owns the rights to the Wii U name?

In 1993, Nintendo announced plans to develop a new 64-bit console codenamed Project Reality that would be capable of rendering fully 3D environments and characters. In 1994, Nintendo also claimed that Project Reality would be renamed Ultra 64 in the US. The Ultra 64 moniker was unveiled in arcades on the Nintendo branded fighting game Killer Instinct and the racing game Cruisin' USA. Killer Instinct was later released on the SNES. Soon after, Nintendo realized they had mistakenly chosen a name for their new console that the Konami corporation owned the rights to. Specifically, only Konami would have the rights to release games for the new system called Ultra Football, Ultra Tennis, etc. Therefore, in 1995 Nintendo changed the final name of the system to the Nintendo 64, and announced that it would be released in 1996. They later showed previews of the system and several games, including Super Mario 64, to the media and public. 1995 is also the year that Nintendo purchased part of Rare.

It's not changing.

MDX

They are showing some old stuff behind closed doors. And there'll be an interview with Reggie. Maybe a few new details and tidbits will come out of this event, maybe not.

In light of the CES let down to the Xbox and Playstation fans, Nintendo can capitalize and build a pre- E3 buzz teasing the public with something. Either showing the Tokyo demo or a new one, announcing a game in the works, something to get people talking WiiU.

But I think the reason why Nintendo is at the CES is to get content for their APP store.

That´s Devkit Number 6? How many to go? Hopefully something leaks..... it would be enough if someone (lhe...) could tell us if something changed (and the direction of the change)...

guek

Banned
I really hope Reggie has a real reason to have an interview with Geoff tonight. So far, it's unclear why the Wii U is at CES at all. I guess that ABC bit was good publicity, but overall its presence seems a bit worthless.

guek

Banned
what relevant members of the media didn't get a chance to see the wii u at E3? I understand there's a marginal benefit to being at CES, but this thing doesn't even have a booth, it's behind closed doors. Nintendo isn't a company that historically attends events without a good reason. It almost seems like a complete waste of their time.

I really hope Reggie has a real reason to have an interview with Geoff tonight. So far, it's unclear why the Wii U is at CES at all. I guess that ABC bit was good publicity, but overall its presence seems a bit worthless.

What time is the interview?

After MS last night, I definitely won't be doing another 4am GMT sleep. I've felt like crap all day.

Yeah, same. If it's going to be the same old spew of media bullshit, it's not going to be worth watching.

I predict it will be, unfortunately. Quotes such as "We're still working on getting it ready", "We'll reveal all at E3", "lots of 3rd party developers on board" and "that box is checked".

Also, why'd BP get banned?

they should have called it the boxstation with the sole purpose of confusing everyone.
I have something called the "XGameStation" that came out last-gen :) Of course, it wasn't really a pure game system, but a system to teach people how game systems are made and how their software works at a really low level. But it had a great name!

[Nintex]

"Well Geoff we listen to the fans and have all this great content coming to Wii like Xenoblade Chronicles that we're really excited about."

"So what about Wii U Reggie will we see that too, with rumors of new xbox's popping up and Samsung Smart TV's having more processing power than Wii does, does that worry you guys in any way?"

"Well Geoff, Wii U is coming, it's certainly coming but we're not quite ready to talk about it yet untill Mr. Miyamoto thinks it's perfect."

"Just like Zelda right?"

"Yes, just like our games we really need to deliver the experience that people expect from us"

"Explain Fi"

"Oh is that the time, I got to run!"

StevieP

Banned
[Nintex];34158294 said:
"Well Geoff we listen to the fans and have all this great content coming to Wii like Xenoblade Chronicles that we're really excited about."

"So what about Wii U Reggie will we see that too, with rumors of new xbox's popping up and Samsung Smart TV's having more processing power than Wii does, does that worry you guys in any way?"

"Well Geoff, Wii U is coming, it's certainly coming but we're not quite ready to talk about it yet untill Mr. Miyamoto thinks it's perfect."

"Just like Zelda right?"

"Yes, just like our games we really need to deliver the experience that people expect from us"

"Explain Fi"

"Oh is that the time, I got to run!"

Samsung SmartTVs? Yeah you got Geoff's trolling right.

Being himself. Never seen anyone who gets banned so often just posting his own opinions though, lol.

I didn't bother clicking on the posting history, but there is almost always a catalyst to a banning.

GameE

what relevant members of the media didn't get a chance to see the wii u at E3? I understand there's a marginal benefit to being at CES, but this thing doesn't even have a booth, it's behind closed doors. Nintendo isn't a company that historically attends events without a good reason. It almost seems like a complete waste of their time.

Yea they did the same thing with the 3DS tho at CES last year

hatchx

Banned
They could call it "The GODDAMN Nintendo" and "gamers" would still think it was stupid.

That would a dope name.

Seriously though, they can't just let their system dry out for two years with no games and expect people to forget it. Not to mention the many Iwata-admitted mistakes they made with third parties, poor online, system memory, etc.

I don't see a better time for a name rebranding. The name 'wii' will make everyone a skeptic, and they are trying to regain a lot of hardcore gamers, it'd be a good start.

I agree, good games/services sell systems. I just feel like if it has COD, Assassins Creed, and an HD Mario on Nintendo HD or Nintendo Next or Nintendo 6 or something.....gamers would be more likely to jump on over the same lineup with WiiU.

Call me foolish, but branding is huge. Wii was fresh and exciting and sold like gangbusters. WiiU is a continuation of a brand Nintendo let die pretty miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom