• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Sadist

Have there been any rumblings at all if EA has an exclusive, even timed, in the works or are they just going to launch with extensions of their fall line up on Wii U?
I don't think the Wii U will receive an exclusive title. I still believe the Origin on Wii U rumour with as a nice bonus every EA title from the get go.

Wish I could get more excited. I mean, I am, but usually I would be like through-the-roof levels of hype for a new Nintendo console. However, after the Wii and 3DS, my faith is at an all-time low for Nintendo.

With the Wii, they did a lot right but missed what I feel is most important with any console: a breadth of great titles. There were a fair amount of pretty good games, and then there were games like Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess which I feel are only the truly great games for Wii. Skyward Sword ended up disappointing me greatly as the game kept getting considerably worse as it went as good game design was sacrificed for gimmicky padding that almost sucked all the fun out of the game. The virtual console service was good, but perhaps a bit overpriced. They brought a lot of "must have" titles to it but I felt it could have been even better in that regard. Basically the virtual console almost met expectations but fell just a bit short.

With the 3DS, the system is really cool but the circle pad pro is all that needs to be said-- I should not have to pay extra money to smack another piece of plastic onto a handheld just to have a button that should have been on the system out of the gate. It wouldn't be a problem if there were no games that called for the extra analog stick, but when I tried to play the MGS3D demo, I almost threw up in my mouth. This is of course in addition to the pricing fiasco, poor launch lineup, etc. I was also very disappointed with Resident Evil Revelations, which is why I even bothered buying the system again, so that didn't help.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't hate the Wii or 3DS and there were a lot of great things about them. I just feel like Nintendo's thirst for innovation and the need to be different is causing them to make some really short-sighted and sometimes stupid decisions, when all consumers really want are a nice selection of quality games, you know, the reason why consoles like the Super Nintendo were a runaway hit. While this post has been largely negative, I'm far from a Nintendo hater. I've had a very long and great history with them. If I walked into a store and was able to choose from a new Halo, Zelda, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Call of Duty, even Castlevania, I would go with the Zelda game without any hesitation and I would probably do the same with a new Nintendo console despite my frustrations with their recent offerings.

I'm seeing that the WiiU is already doing some things that will help, such as unique user accounts not tied to the actual console, more horsepower, HD, all that good shit, but at the same time, they unveiled the WiiU by doing nothing but, once again, talking about the controller. It's almost like they're trying to sell me on a cool controller instead of for the reasons I personally buy gaming consoles, and that's to play games on them. If I have a lack of great games to play on this wonderful controller, it's fucking useless, much like the ground-breaking Wii remote.

That being said, I await with some degree of excitement as to what they're going to do. Their unveiling this time cannot be any worse than last year's. This time they should show off some great looking new Mario game or hell even reveal what they're doing with the next Zelda. Or maybe Metroid. Or other things I actually care about. Go ahead and make a neat controller, but give it some great software to fuck with. If this thing comes out and we get another five years of bullshit shovelware with the occasional game here and there, I'm done.

I am sooooo fucking excited for this thing

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Man, I shiver just thinking of the electrifying moment when you see Reggie walk onstage at E3 and your internal voice takes on that husky black man quality and says, SON IT JUST GOT REAL.

This is usually the time when your internet connexion breaks and you miss the most interesting part of the conference while trying to connect again.

Of course, you don't have ANY problems later or before, following a 5 hours stream with an artist far-away-related to videogames that comes to a gaming TV anyway to promote its latest CD, while you wait for the Reggie interview.

Life is cruel.

NeoRausch

This is usually the time when your internet connexion breaks and you miss the most interesting part of the conference while trying to connect again.

Of course, you don't have ANY problems later or before, following a 5 hours stream with an artist far-away-related to videogames that comes to a gaming TV anyway to promote its latest CD, while you wait for the Reggie interview.

Life is cruel.

yupp, last year my connection broke like 4 seconds after the conferrence started. is was getting 1 picture per minute a a few scattered sounds. took me 15 min. to fix that shit.

EDIT: WHOA! i just made ym monitor looke 100 time better by the old "name it PC/TV"-trick. fucking awesome!

Lausebub

Banned
I just saw the Advance Wars thread and was wondering. How awesome would a new Advance or Battalion Wars for the Wii U be.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Time does indeed fly. The part after E3 when we're dissecting everything with exquisite precision is going to be fun. And then we'll move-on to speculate about preordering, price, release date, "how many units is your GameStop getting?" "what time are you getting there to line-up?" etc.

By the time the Wii U launch, i would be so pleased to be in the USA and live it from there.
We could do a meeting !

and duct-tape all our Wii U to be able to run UE5. Sorry, i HAD to make it :D

Javier

I leave for a 3DS meetup on the afternoon and the new thread is already 12 pages and there's nothing to talk about?

Only at GAF.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Got bored, and did this:

re3_ccycrv.png

Compression's a bit bad, as the uncompressed file took up 172 MB, and neither of Abload.de and Imgur accepted that.

Wait does that give the guy some reasonable form of credibility?

No I don't think so but I don't think it's discrediting either.

afaik 3.9 is just the name they gave to the samaritian demo version which was UE3(3.5?) with a bunch of extra stuff added in to make the demo but optimisation was obviously taking a backseat since it required tri SLI of top end PC cards to run.

What I mean is I personally don't see the reason they would take the time to properly add all of those features and optimise them when they have a new engine to work on and more importantly sell as better than the old one. (edit: they are obviously still working on UE3 and adding/improving it but everything out of their mouths is now UE4 this and samaritain sucks etc)

They guy could have just been using 3.9 as a reference to meaning the latest version of UE3.

I just saw the Advance Wars thread and was wondering. How awesome would a new Advance or Battalion Wars for the Wii U be.

Awesome.

Use the Wii U pad as a minimap that you select and move units around it, while the big TV show you a specific unit that you control using the joystick and buttons

Nibel

Rösti;35933813 said:
Got bored, and did this:

Compression's a bit bad, as the uncompressed file took up 172 MB, and neither of Abload.de and Imgur accepted that.

That graphic rapes my browser :lol
Seriously, it slows down! High End PC here

I really want GTA V I have been playing Vice City to pass the time :|

I need to put more hours into Pushmo <3

I want all 3DS gems to get a WiiU appstore release

Game-Biz

haha found my prediction for last year's as well:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27200795&postcount=9800

Game-Biz said:
My theory is that the 6" screen "controller"/tablet is separate from the nunchuck/wiimote style motion controllers. And that each tablet will be one per system. Anyway, it'll probably look something like this (dimensions are off):

mhF0y.jpg

[had to rehost image]

The triggers and bumper would be on the underside where the index and middle fingers are.

Probably way off, though. Dammit.

Not bad, although the mockup is pretty off with joystick and button placement.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nitpick of the day.

"The Wii U Controller's resolution is too low."

It will never end.

The screen looks AMAZING because of the DPI. C'mon.

Sadist

I want to know more about Lego City Stories. Seems to me it's going to be a pretty big launch title in the west.

Nibel

Same here, and I'm on a Core i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz and have 16 gigs of ram. My browser hates that graphic though.

Now if you say that you got a GTX 570, then we have the same PC!

Nitpick of the day.

It will never end.

That thread is amazing. They don't get that the tablet is still a controller and.. ah, I don't want to think about it. Just look at the photos, it looks fine.

NeoRausch

Nitpick of the day.

It will never end.

I just watched that topic, looked at some pics of the controller. WTF?

Go buy an ipad. Retina and all

My eyes suck I cannot see 3D on 3DS but even I can appreciate the uPad

I am getting an iPad as soon as I can save up for one but we don't need to bring up that silly troll topic in here guys

Now if you say that you got a GTX 570, then we have the same PC!

That thread is amazing. They don't get that the tablet is still a controller and.. ah, I don't want to think about it. Just look at the photos, it looks fine.

Thread should be used to decide who takes over my tag

Seriously.. Thepointless and Eggiepick can f@*! Off

K444WSR

Wow, I can't believe it's less than 3months to E3. I'm not ashamed to say the weeks preceding e3 are when my inner nintendo fanboy fights to get out. You can't help but get caught up in the hype and watching it all unfold on gaf will be amazing. Do we have dates for the conferences yet? I need to organise some time off work lol

Wow, I can't believe it's less than 3months to E3. I'm not ashamed to say the weeks preceding e3 are when my inner nintendo fanboy fights to get out. You can't help but get caught up in the hype and watching it all unfold on gaf will be amazing. Do we have dates for the conferences yet? I need to organise some time off work lol
nothing confirmed

NeoRausch

My eyes suck I cannot see 3D on 3DS but even I can appreciate the uPad

I am getting an iPad as soon as I can save up for one but we don't need to bring up that silly troll topic in here guys
*high five* for people with stupid eyes? Yay.....:(

when i want to see A LITTLE BIT of 3d, i gotta hold the screen sooooo close to my face, it almost jumps out of focus.

Cookychan

Banned
I was so worried getting the 3DS, I have myopia so I thought it wouldn't work but the 3D slider hasn't dipped below full since launch day. ;~;

K444WSR

Thanks pyro. No matter, might just pull a sickie. God I love the hype of a new console reveal, especially a nintendo one.

NeoRausch

Not until May, man. (Praise Allah/Buddha/Din/Farore if there's a major leak on my birthday.)
May, cool! I will hit the floor in april but....i'm more than double your age lol.
and i dont feel old, neither do i look old.

something nintendo, no derailemnt!

hype choo choo! Lupin stuff! Reggie body, ready, goooo! Box checked. Iwata: *silent hairwhip*.

screen to low rez, COD IMPROSUBULL!

Thanks pyro. No matter, might just pull a sickie. God I love the hype of a new console reveal, especially a nintendo one.
it's funny because the buildup is insaneeee and then the conference itself is CRAZYY but then it's just over so fast, that we're right back to where we're at now, except with much more info leading up to console release.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The current case already has several fan openings. I know very little about heat dissipation though. I mostly just want the case to change because I'm afraid people will confuse it with the old Wii. Keep the Wii U name, whatever, just make it visually distinguishable upon first glance.

The case is definitively not balanced in terms of size. Its depth is rather ridiculous in comparison to its tiny Width and Height. It's feng-shui-less. It's like a pizza with a baguette shape. It's like a brick of milk put horizontally and cut in half. It's ether too plate, or too profound. I'm pretty sure if someone could add another Wii U ON a first one, the result will feel more natural, a question of proportions.

It's acceptable for an external HDD/drive, not for a home console that must respond to some aesthetic considerations even if Big N said "it's just a box".

They must change it. I don't have any info about that so please, don't say "big redesign confirmed".

We need mock-up starting from this initial design, that will show how improvement in the size department/proportions could make this Wii U so much sexier. We have actually a cheap Louis Vuitton bag counterfeit. We need to see how the original should look :p

NeoRausch

it's funny because the buildup is insaneeee and then the conference itself is CRAZYY but then it's just over so fast, that we're right back to where we're at now, except with much more info leading up to console release.
It's just like thinking about sexfor serveral years, wanking off etc. And THEN....first time and BAM! Over! That's it!

so umm... Nintendo hype and conferences are like bad first time sex.

likeGdid

E3's getting so close!

85 days? That's only 12 weeks! 12!

You guys should be more optimistic. In fact, because of DST, we're one hour even closer!

haha ha

oh god why is it so far

frostbyte

we're still high on the fumes of the new thread! can we get to the perhaps the 5th speculation thread before E3?

and the thread about Wii U's low resolution is BS. that sweet DPI's good enough for glorious Zelda in bed.

time most so fast after E3 but before it wow

the hardest wait is going to be if WiiU is something like a November launch after seeing all to glorious sex at E3 and having to wait until November ouch

get ready GAF

Top Bottom